Dancing

Raburgardt

My husband and I love to dance ( swing, waltz, cha cha, rumba, disco etc) on the ship.  We are thinking about booking a cruise a year from now on Sky Princess.  Is there any of this dance opportunities on that ship?  One of the places where they had a lot of this type of dancing was in the WheelHouse and Explorers Lounge on the other Princess ships we have been on.  I noticed they don’t have these two venues on Sky Princess.

In the past the best ships for ballroom/social dance are the ships of Cunard, all three have actual ballrooms. They tend to have dancing every night, and lessons every day.

this is of course B.C. Gods only know what the post COVID world will hold in store.

Ballroom dance locations on the Sky are limited. No real dance floors. The main area is the Piazza (atrium) on marble floors. There will be times throughout the evening where there is live dance music. Music styles will vary. My experience on the Royal Princess is that the party band dominates the dance sets with a variety of music. There may also be dancing in the Take Five Lounge. This area will have a small dance floor. Music is advertised as jazz. A few years ago on the Royal there were dance sets in the Vista Lounge. The Vista Lounge on the Sky is designed more like Club Fusion. I would expect some live music there throughout the evenings. The Crown Grill Bar probably will have some easy listening live music. I have seen some dancing in the small area which is really in the walkway. The Wheelhouse Bar and Explorer's Lounge which were so popular on Grand Class ships were not built on Royal Class ships. 

Raburgardt,

FWIW I posted recently on this topic.  Here's the post:

• brucedodge
  •  
  • 930 posts
  • July 6, 2004
  • Tucson, Arizona

My wife and I love to dance on cruises, and we find it ironic that as main stream cruise lines build bigger and bigger ships, they reduce the dance venues, both in size and numbers.

The best Princess ship for dancing is the Coral.  The Island is okay too, but they did away with the Vista Lounge as one of the venues.  The Grand Class ships are reasonable, but not as good, and the mega ships are worthless.

We used to cruise on Celebrity, but the same thing:  the Century Class ships (now all sold) were good for dancing.  The Millennium Class are okay, but not near as good, and the Solstice Class ships are worthless.  So we've long since stopped cruising Celebrity and we had a very high status.

The Queens, of course, have huge ballrooms, and the two Crystal ocean going ships each have two spacious dance areas, so these five ships are among our favorites.

FWIW,

Bruce

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all of the replies so far.  Just a foot note:  We have sailed on the Emerald, Crown and Grand Princess ships but was not sure if there were dance opportunities on the newer Princess Ships.  We have to book our cruise on Princess due to a credit we need to use up.

Sometimes dance space, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. My husband and I have found the Solstice class ships to be quite danceable, and I see the Royal Class ships to have some nice dance spaces as well.🍷😊Happy sailing and happy dancing!

22 hours ago, Raburgardt said:

My husband and I love to dance ( swing, waltz, cha cha, rumba, disco etc) on the ship.  We are thinking about booking a cruise a year from now on Sky Princess.  Is there any of this dance opportunities on that ship?  One of the places where they had a lot of this type of dancing was in the WheelHouse and Explorers Lounge on the other Princess ships we have been on.  I noticed they don’t have these two venues on Sky Princess.

We were on a Sky TA in late 2019.  There was dancing going on in the Vista lounge forward on many nights.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Raburgardt said:

If it’s anything like the Majestic the main dancing venue was the atrium & upstairs at the pool deck. . 

Here’s some photos. 

Tom

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by trbarton

We dance ballroom/Latin too and enjoyed dancing in the atrium every evening aboard Royal Princess. I agree though the Wheelhouse bars on the Grand Class ships were excellent venues, particularly for Latin.

We are booked on Enchanted Princess and really looking forward to the new Jazz lounge bar which will host a variety of dance themed nights.

I concur that the Celebrity ships were poor for dancing by comparison, except the Edge, which has a huge floor in its night club venue.

The Crystal lounge aboard P&O's Britannia is dedicated to Ballroom/Latin dancing too.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1