Vista/Horizon/Panorama - Slight Difference-Vast Differences

paulypride

So we are always a years behind, so we want to take a trip on one of these trips before we do Mardi Gras and then Celebration. 

Our favorite ship is the Miracle and then Splendor, we know that these 3 ships - Vista/Horizon/Panorama are generally the same. but what can you all tell us as to what makes them different - departure port isn't a factor - nor itinerary - we cruise mostly for the ship.

Thanks so much all!

Paul (and Shawn)

• Like 1

Vista has the Red Frog Pub & Brewery. Horizon and Panorama have the Guy’s Pig & Anchor Smokehouse-Brewhouse.

Vista and Horizon have the Skybox Sports bar. Panorama has the Hero’s bar (still a sports bar but bigger with a different theme.)

Vista and Horizon have the thrill theater and imax. Panorama has a trampoline park called sky zone in that space.

Horizon and Panorama have the Bonsai Teppanyaki and sushi. Vista just has sushi.

I don’t remember Vista having the gelato station in the buffet. I think that started with horizon. Panorama definitely has it.

Panorama is currently the only ship with carnival kitchen which are cooking classes with a meal.

That’s all I can think of. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Vista has the Red Frog Pub & Brewery. Horizon and Panorama have the Guy’s Pig & Anchor Smokehouse-Brewhouse.

Vista and Horizon have the Skybox Sports bar. Panorama has the Hero’s bar (still a sports bar but bigger with a different theme.)

Vista and Horizon have the thrill theater and imax. Panorama has a trampoline park called sky zone in that space.

Horizon and Panorama have the Bonsai Teppanyaki and sushi. Vista just has sushi.

I don’t remember Vista having the gelato station in the buffet. I think that started with horizon. Panorama definitely has it.

Panorama is currently the only ship with carnival kitchen which are cooking classes with a meal.

That’s all I can think of. 

St. Greg, I thought the Guy Pig and Anchor was on the Vista?  We have a couple of cruises booked on the Vista and I thought I read that.  I personally haven't been on.

54 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

St. Greg, I thought the Guy Pig and Anchor was on the Vista?  We have a couple of cruises booked on the Vista and I thought I read that.  I personally haven't been on.

I think pig and anchor is the bbq? It's better on conquest class where its indoors and where fish and chips used to be. On vista its outside deck 5 in the sun with hardly any seating.

He probably didnt mention it as it's not new. Vista spa has a nice salad bar, again the problem with seating. But I ate there for lunch one day.

Interested in the answers as well as it’s been quite a while since a Carnival cruise and those ship are the ones we liked to try as well. Of course the Mardi Gras is on the top of our list but the comparison from the above 3 ships will be very informative for sure.

Ses ya 

Eric 

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

Yes. Pig and Anchor BBQ is on Vista. That’s the free lunch BBQ outside. And they have the Red Frog Pub and brewery. 

On panorama and horizon..they also have the free pig and anchor lunch bbq outside. But they changed the theme of the brewery from red frog pub to Pig and anchor smokehouse. This includes an additional charge bbq menu you can have for lunch or dinner. Ribs, pulled pork nachos, loaded fries, etc.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Yes. Pig and Anchor BBQ is on Vista. That’s the free lunch BBQ outside. And they have the Red Frog Pub and brewery. 

On panorama and horizon..they also have the free pig and anchor lunch bbq outside. But they changed the theme of the brewery from red frog pub to Pig and anchor smokehouse. This includes an additional charge bbq menu you can have for lunch or dinner. Ribs, pulled pork nachos, loaded fries, etc.

Yes I said it was on vista, on deck 5. I said the names are  confusing. I've eaten there, so I was stating a fact not asking. The brewery has a  name with similar words, and then there is guys hamburgers. Too many names share same words. 

Personally vista was not a favorite cruise, but we had a big chop and my far forward port hole cabin seemed to be further forward than other ships. 3 nights we couldnt sleep as every 90 seconds there was a sound like hitting a huge rock, crashing noise. I took something to sleep.

Also did not like the theater and comedy club being half size. You needed to get to theater and club early. Too many seats in theater were behind poles. We stood a few times to see comedy club as it lacked enough seats. The thrill ride was great, but we had a constant seating problem on vista but that being said I'm again booked on vista next sept. It was the only 7 day choice out of Galveston. 

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

I'm not st Greg, but my issue with having the bbq outside deck 5, being in the sun did nothing good for the bbq. The potato salad and macaroni and  cheese and cole slaw especially did not benefit from 90 degree heat at lunch. Shame since I loved the bbq on freedom. Quiet, lots of seating, food excellent on freedom.....which was not true on vista, just wasnt as good outside and hardly and close by seating. You had to compete for seats with whatever event was going on inside for seats.

Yes you have everything, but too many things, bbq, theater, comedy club lacked adequate seating.

While I'm complaining about what I didnt like about vista. Anytime dining. The whole point is so you dont have to plan a time to eat. We were told to check in every night on deck 5 to be assigned a dining room. Vista had 2 anytime dining rooms, unlike some older ships that just had one so you just walked up to the entrance. Every night we walked mid ship deck 5 where they had someone managing tables, who assigned us a table and dining room and gave us a paper, and then we walked to the dining room.

Lots of extra walking. Bring your walking shoes. Magic so far was my favorite. 

21 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Yes I said it was on vista, on deck 5. I said the names are  confusing. I've eaten there, so I was stating a fact not asking. The brewery has a  name with similar words, and then there is guys hamburgers. Too many names share same words. 

I was just answering the question asked of me by @jean87510. It had nothing to do with your post.

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

While I'm complaining about what I didnt like about vista. Anytime dining. The whole point is so you dont have to plan a time to eat. We were told to check in every night on deck 5 to be assigned a dining room. Vista had 2 anytime dining rooms, unlike some older ships that just had one so you just walked up to the entrance. Every night we walked mid ship deck 5 where they had someone managing tables, who assigned us a table and dining room and gave us a paper, and then we walked to the dining room.

See I had a different experience. I was given the option of checking in on deck 5, requesting a table through the hub app, or just walking up to the dining room, which is what I did.  There was only one anytime dining room. On two floors and I was able to walk up to either entrance. There was never a line.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm not st Greg, but my issue with having the bbq outside deck 5, being in the sun did nothing good for the bbq. The potato salad and macaroni and  cheese and cole slaw especially did not benefit from 90 degree heat at lunch. Shame since I loved the bbq on freedom. Quiet, lots of seating, food excellent on freedom.....which was not true on vista, just wasnt as good outside and hardly and close by seating. You had to compete for seats with whatever event was going on inside for seats.

Yes you have everything, but too many things, bbq, theater, comedy club lacked adequate seating.

that's nice to know but not my question.  Ty for the info though.  Hopefully a different experience moving forward.

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I guess you didn't know about getting a table on the App? It works great. You can do it from your room and it gives you an estimated wait time. Then you can be anywhere on the ship. 

4 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I thought by saying it was on deck 5 on vista, that answered your question if it was on vista.

• Like 1

Just now, kwokpot said:

I guess you didn't know about getting a table on the App? It works great. You can do it from your room and it gives you an estimated wait time. Then you can be anywhere on the ship. 

I havent used the app no. I'm old and talk of scanning codes to order dinner baffles me. Dont know what app you need to scan codes.

I did what I was told. Well I'm off, some will be glad to hear. 

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I havent used the app no. I'm old and talk of scanning codes to order dinner baffles me. Dont know what app you need to scan codes.

I did what I was told. Well I'm off, some will be glad to hear. 

Im laughing at this because I recently used an app at a restaurant to order my meal and originally could not find the app my son downloaded on my phone.  I will say this.  Think of how many times you are in a restaurant and can't read the menu and pull out your phone or use the candle or you cant find your glasses.  This is so much nicer.  And it is not difficult.

• Like 1

Because of the popularity of the Havana area on the Vista, there was an expansion over multiple categories on the Horizon and the Panorama that allowed Havana area access.  Which is the best aspect of the Vista Class ships, IMHO.

Edited by SNJCruisers

On 2/3/2021 at 11:01 AM, jean87510 said:

Im laughing at this because I recently used an app at a restaurant to order my meal and originally could not find the app my son downloaded on my phone.  I will say this.  Think of how many times you are in a restaurant and can't read the menu and pull out your phone or use the candle or you cant find your glasses.  This is so much nicer.  And it is not difficult.

Lol tech seems to have passed me by. I just drove to florida, 2 days each way. First time I've been confronted by touchless hotel doors. Standing there thinking ok no slot, this card must open the door. Nothing on cards which is back or front. Marriott 2 days and days inn 2 days and both had doors with no slots. Have ships changed their doors?

Kroger has a thing to scan for 3X pts over the weekend. I guess I need to search for a scanner app, I dont have anything to scan codes. Hearing dinners onboard  cruise ships you can scan in your order. 

Every time I catch up, tech has something new. Cruise ships are lagging other things like hotels. I'm lagging!! Dragging my feet all the way. You are awesome.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol tech seems to have passed me by. I just drove to florida, 2 days each way. First time I've been confronted by touchless hotel doors. Standing there thinking ok no slot, this card must open the door. Nothing on cards which is back or front. Marriott 2 days and days inn 2 days and both had doors with no slots. Have ships changed their doors?

No on Carnival yet. I seen this tech on other cruise ships. The new NCL ships like the Encore and Bliss has it. i seen a few videos on youtube that MSC also has a ship with similar tech

17 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Kroger has a thing to scan for 3X pts over the weekend. I guess I need to search for a scanner app, I dont have anything to scan codes. Hearing dinners onboard  cruise ships you can scan in your order. 

Every time I catch up, tech has something new. Cruise ships are lagging other things like hotels. I'm lagging!! Dragging my feet all the way. You are awesome.

Celebrity and Royal has those types of door locks. They have been in use in hotels for at least 10 years or more.

Edited by kwokpot

3 minutes ago, shof515 said:

No on Carnival yet. I seen this tech on other cruise ships. The new NCL ships like the Encore and Bliss has it. i seen a few videos on youtube that MSC also has a ship with similar tech

I would think changing all the doors on every ship would cost a lot, but what do I know. I dont see how else they get rid of the card slot except changing out the door.

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I would think changing all the doors on every ship would cost a lot, but what do I know. I dont see how else they get rid of the card slot except changing out the door.

Its mostly on the new build they are using this tech on. I doubt they will retrofit this system to the older ships. I think it is easier to put it on a new ship then an old

• Thanks 1