The Daily for Thursday Feb 4, 2021

richwmn

Good Morning and Thank you again for the Daily!😊

📫 When I hear "mailman" I think of Clifford C. Clavin, Jr~~the fictional character on the television show Cheers. My husband and I have been watching some of these oldies on TV lately during the pandemic. 🛳️Now, we started watching the Love Boat......👍we can dream! 😊

Keep safe everyone!😀😷

Dear-Mail-Carrier-Stickers.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all!   DH loves Bucatini as the inside soaks up the sauce!   The wine and drinks sounds good!  
I love the Anne Frank reminder,  I read the Tattooist of Auschwitz earlier in the pandemic,  and I think often of what they endured.  Does put it in perspective,  also Man’s search for meaning by Victor Frankl is another amazing read.  But then I also need something lighter.  I’ve really enjoyed The Huntress and the Alice Network.  

Meanwhile nature is beautiful

403E25A8-89B5-4E7D-A1A2-27A219EF90C4.jpeg

• Like 22

Good morning, all!  Thank you to Rich and Roy, and all who post all the interesting stuff.  I'm happy so many are receiving their vaccinations, colour me slightly green with envy...  @mamaofami, I'm sorry to hear  about your friend, I'll remember her, you and her family in my prayers.  

• Like 12

Good morning.  Like all the days.  Haven't had stuffed mushrooms in years.  I'll have to dig out the recipe.  The USO is a wonderful organization.  When DH was in the Army and stationed in Dover, NJ, many Sundays we would drive into NYC.  Our first stop would be the USO in Times Square for a snack and to see what tickets were available.  Duck tape is a miracle.

We don't have a mail carrier here in Quartzsite since there is no home delivery.  We have to go to the PO to check our box and hope whatever we get fits into the box so we don't have to stand in line for package pickup.  In Texas, we have a cluster box for the community and only see the mail carrier occasionally.

I was going to post another space picture, but last night we had a very beautiful sunset.  So here are a couple of pictures taken as it progressed.

DSC09206.thumb.JPG.ffc5575028ab190fc480373a796006ec.JPG

DSC09208.thumb.JPG.4088270376b29a5a7ccdf3255227c0d7.JPG

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

My brother in back surgery

Just got an email from Roger; it's over and he's headed home.  He thinks it went ok but will know better once the pain killers ease up a bit.

Roy

• Like 20

Good afternoon!

Thank you for the daily, and all the camaraderie that is given each day.

To @mamaofami my condolences on the loss of your friend. No matter how much we prepare, it still hits like a ton of bricks. Prayers and comfort to those she left behind.

To @cruisemom42 what a relief to have your parents get their vaccine.

We have a small post office in the village. DS went in this morning to arrange to take over our PO Box when we move. We'll have a community mailbox, so will only go to the main PO when we have a parcel. DH will miss the daily visits with our post office personnel, who are fabulous in every way!

Yesterday on a thread @Live4cruises mentioned to look at the FC thread to see some of the popular cruises. What a great idea! Thank you! I know that I have one cruise I need to move from April to the fall of 2022 (double booked Full Panama and Hawaii). Does anyone have an idea of when those will come out?

As we start to slide down the back side of the winter hill, it looks like we're going to be getting the darn Polar Vortex for the next week. YUCK! I don't like being cold. 😛

Blessings to all!

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask! 😷

• Like 12

Good afternoon Dailyites.

Love the USO, and stuffed mushroom. Thankful for the mail carriers.

That blue lagoon sounds good.

Not sure what's for dinner.

It's sunny at least, but brrr it's cold here, and will stay that way into next week due to the Polar Vortex.

@doobieb Good news!

@kazu I got to visit where Ann Frank hid when in Amsterdam and it was incredible to imagine hiding there.

@cruisemom42 Glad to hear your parents got appointments for the vaccine.

@mamaofami So sorry for your loss.

@rafinmd Best wishes that your brother's surgery was successful.

Prayers to the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance and wear your mask! Someone on my NextDoor site just posted he lost his daughter and his wife of 52 years last week from Covid. So sad.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Another nice (meaning dry) day here in the Pacific Northwest.  A year ago today we were on our first and only scheduled stop on our Westerdam cruise; Kaohsiung, Taiwan.  Should have been two days, but they asked us to leave after one day.  I am wondering if the description of today's wine is correct.  It is posted as a merlot from Chile, but described as a Cabernet.

We have always had good mail carriers.  When we would take long cruises, I would just fill in the yellow form to have them hold our mail for 60 or 70 days, even though it states 30 days maximum.  I asked the carrier about it and he said "No problem.  It is the same work for us if we keep it for ten or fifty days."  Of course it might have helped that I often bought him a T-shirt or similar souvenir of our travels.

• Like 14

Good morning all!
I'm not a fan of mushrooms stuffed or otherwise, but stuffed peppers does sound good so that's what we'll have tonight!

We have had some great mail persons over the years, but unfortunately one was really bad.  We have a locked cluster box for our street, so when he (often) put the wrong mail in our box, unless it's someone who lives nearby, we can't just bring it over to them.  Also last year when we were away for 75 days (and notified the PO about it) he kept stuffing our box with mail --- and then left a note on our front door to pick up our mail (letting anyone and everyone know we were away).  😡  I was livid.  But the PO said even though he'd gotten many complaints, it would be very difficult to get rid of him.  I'm glad to say we have had a different person for awhile now, and service has been much, much better.  He was the main reason I signed up for "Informed Delivery" (love it!) so I'll know if a piece of our mail goes astray...

Our daughter has signed up to start volunteering on weekends at a Seattle vaccine site.  She isn't medical, so will be helping guide people, sanitizing, etc.  These volunteers have an opportunity to be put on a waiting list for any unused vaccines at the end of the day.   

Before Covid, we and the other grandparents helped with childcare while she worked.  Now she's working from home, supervising the online school work for the boys, and really looking forward to us being able to help more a few weeks after we get our 2nd jabs.  We've missed it too, since we had been helping out since the oldest was born 7 years ago.  Looking forward to weekend overnights again too!

@mamaofamicondolences on the loss of your friend.

@richwmnYAY about your first jab!

@rafinmdprayers that your brother does well after his surgery.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Just got an email from Roger; it's over and he's headed home.  He thinks it went ok but will know better once the pain killers ease up a bit.

Roy

Roy, Glad to hear that his surgery went well.  Hopefully it will continue that way for him.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Roy, your statement about “Sometimes a sunrise can catch you unexpecting” reminded me of my experience early in the pandemic. My DH and I had gone to our grocery store at 6 am for their “at risk” shopping time. As I walked up the aisle I noticed this strange light up by the registers. Suddenly I realized the building faced East and it was the sun coming up, shining through the windows! Only in a pandemic am I likely to be grocery shopping at sunrise 🤣

St Louis Sal

• Like 14

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Wow he is going home the same day! Hope all went well and he recovers quickly.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

I am wondering if the description of today's wine is correct.  It is posted as a merlot from Chile, but described as a Cabernet.

I wish I could say I did this intentionally as a test, but I totally goofed.  I had just about given up on finding anything descriptive about the wine, and then I found what I posted. Sigh.

Thank you for catching my error. I did find distributors that offer the Merlot for very reasonable prices. And I found one site that shared the following about this vintner’s Merlot.

C09E1AD6-C170-4F04-8043-FB89F9FBC009.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Dismomx5 said:

Good afternoon!

Thank you for the daily, and all the camaraderie that is given each day.

To @mamaofami my condolences on the loss of your friend. No matter how much we prepare, it still hits like a ton of bricks. Prayers and comfort to those she left behind.

To @cruisemom42 what a relief to have your parents get their vaccine.

We have a small post office in the village. DS went in this morning to arrange to take over our PO Box when we move. We'll have a community mailbox, so will only go to the main PO when we have a parcel. DH will miss the daily visits with our post office personnel, who are fabulous in every way!

Yesterday on a thread @Live4cruises mentioned to look at the FC thread to see some of the popular cruises. What a great idea! Thank you! I know that I have one cruise I need to move from April to the fall of 2022 (double booked Full Panama and Hawaii). Does anyone have an idea of when those will come out?

As we start to slide down the back side of the winter hill, it looks like we're going to be getting the darn Polar Vortex for the next week. YUCK! I don't like being cold. 😛

Blessings to all!

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask! 😷

🙂Are you receiving any updates from Holland America?  I only saw spring itineraries for Panama. Also, check the actual website and scroll down for particular places of interests. 👍Another wonderful tool is cruisetimetables.com.  😎

• Like 5

Last yea,r on this date  aboard Westerdam, we did sail into the port of Kaohsiung, Taiwan!  We will be here overnight, so our much anticipated private shore excursion is on, for tomorrow.  We couldn't stay at this location for too long, as another ship would use it later this morning.  Room for us was just behind, so we backed into the new space, before noon.  We were able to see the ship sailing in, a huge Chinese ship. Later in the afternoon, the ship left, which was a surprise.   We planned nothing ashore today, because of the tour we'll take tomorrow. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I hope it did go well, Roy and Roger recovers quickly 🙏🏻 🤞 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

In Texas, we have a cluster box for the community and only see the mail carrier occasionally.

We have the community box here too but our mail carrier does drop off packages and I often see her when she delivers at our box.

• Like 4

We live next door to the post mistress for our town; our town does not have any home delivery, but she does a great job serving the people of Skykomish. I baked cookies last week and made certain she received some as a thank-you for her service and friendship.

• Like 7