Cruising To, From, or Thru Canada Cancelled thru February 2022

rallydave

Let me put it this way.  The reason Canada has extended their restrictions would probably also be a reason for USA to extend cruise restrictions.  I know we all want to cruise, but I don't want to get caught at a foreign port if the pandemic causes new restrictions while I am there.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

There is an exemption for the Caribbean, so temporary exemptions could be possible.  There is also a fine for situations (prior to COVID) when someone gets on or off a ship prior to the foreign port.

Yes there is an allowance for closed loop trips in the Caribbean  which I  mentioned but, unlikely that would apply to Canada or be enacted by Congress.  The fine still exists and is generally charged to the passenger after a lot of issues the ship has to go thru.  Not sure why you wrote that.  A cruise line is not going to schedule a cruse that violates a US law from the beginning.  The fine is for situations that come up and not pre-determined.  Covered no exemptions in a previous post.  The PVSA is to protect US shipbuilders and US crew so really doubt exemptions for a foreign cruise line would be done.  The cruise line got zero stimulus dollars so precedence has been set.

1 hour ago, mj_holiday said:

If every thing else about cruising to Alaska is a go, the PVSA, Jones Act, would be the least of their worries.  There is an exemption for the Caribbean, so temporary exemptions could be possible.  There is also a fine for situations (prior to COVID) when someone gets on or off a ship prior to the foreign port.

It would be interesting to know what has caused this new restriction for Canada.

On one of the Public Health forums for clinicians, it was articulated that one of the decisions that went into Canada's methodology was the potential of a surge and the strain that would put on the health care system.

As far as a "Caribbean exemption." COVID patients (and their treatment) are very complex.  Due to the nature and level of care that these patients require, you just cant dump them off at the next port and wish them well.  They require a very high level of complex care which has been challenging to some of most prestigious Medical Centers around the world. 

• Like 2

I suspect that we closed our ports because our government dropped the ball regarding the vaccines. I don't think we will get our vaccines before the end of the Alaska season or the end of the fall season on the east coast so they decided the ports needed to be closed until next year. As i wrote previously i didn't think they would allow ports to open until all Canadians had the opportunity to be vaccinated and it looks like that won't happen before the end of the year. 

So, putting together info from various posts above, if Regent changed the port of embarkation from Vancouver to Seattle or San Francisco, with disembarkation in Tokyo, port calls in Alaska and Russia would be okay. Right?

Edited by ohmark

Not at this  time as long as the CDC restriction on any cruise that starts ends or stops in US waters cannot be more than 7 days. There have been other reasons discussed and this is just another

as Picardad has stated several time it appears Regent is unwilling to follow all of the current CDC rules so this cruise is a no go if rules don’t change. Other issues exist as Nd have to be considered but this means unless CDC changes the current order this cruise cannot sail and depending the changes and Regent complying with the revised rules this may or may not happen. 

3 hours ago, ohmark said:

So, putting together info from various posts above, if Regent changed the port of embarkation from Vancouver to Seattle or San Francisco, with disembarkation in Tokyo, port calls in Alaska and Russia would be okay. Right?

It would be okay as far as the PVSA is concerned.  It would not be okay under the current CDC ruling that it can't be longer than 7 days if it originates in the US or travels in US waters.  It would have to find a foreign port within 7 days and end the segment there, even assuming all the other CDC requirements had been met.

The only way this could happen in 2021 would be for the CDC to relax their restrictions before they expire in November, and IMO that is extremely unlikely.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 6:10 AM, mj_holiday said:

If every thing else about cruising to Alaska is a go, the PVSA, Jones Act, would be the least of their worries.  There is an exemption for the Caribbean, so temporary exemptions could be possible.  There is also a fine for situations (prior to COVID) when someone gets on or off a ship prior to the foreign port.

It would be interesting to know what has caused this new restriction for Canada.

They are really mad about the cancel of the pipeline and it could be part of it

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

Totally agree.  Not everything is political.

What science tells you what the situation will be in the Maritime provinces seven months from now?

edited to add (for a little levity): 

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, mrlevin said:

What science tells you what the situation will be in the Maritime provinces seven months from now?

The current science that says there is no proof that vaccinated passengers can't pass the virus to non-vaccinated people. We don't know that those in the Maritime or the west coast of Canada will be vaccinated by then. Vaccine shortages are a real problem here and there is no guarantee that we will be vaccinated before the end of the year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

The current science that says there is no proof that vaccinated passengers can't pass the virus to non-vaccinated people. We don't know that those in the Maritime or the west coast of Canada will be vaccinated by then. Vaccine shortages are a real problem here and there is no guarantee that we will be vaccinated before the end of the year. 

Very well, turning to the "dismal" science, what is your prognostication for the British Columbia economy come February 2022?  

15 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Very well, turning to the "dismal" science, what is your prognostication for the British Columbia economy come February 2022?  

The economic forecasts i have seen for BC show us doing okay because foreign tourism isn't the sole basis of our economy. It is hurting, no doubt about it but with the government support most have received, things have stayed ticking along. 

There has been good job recovery in BC (i believe the best in Canada) even during the ongoing pandemic. Where i live the real estate market is a sellers' market and is still very hot which can't be the case if people don't have money to spend.  What i am concerned about is the debt that future generations will inherit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1