Food on Oceania vs. Celebrity

LB_NJ

I have traveled on Insignia and definitely thought the food was a step ahead of Princess and Royal.  I am debating whether to book another cruise on Insignia or try the Celebrity Summit for 2022.  Pricing seems comparable.  The only reason I am considering Summit is a preference in the month of travel (June for Summit vs. July for Insignia).

I am particularly interested in hearing from people who have sailed both cruise lines on the comparison of the food between the standard main dining rooms and buffets (I know the buffet style may change due to the pandemic) on the 2 cruise lines.

I have cruised both lines. The Terrace Cafe buffet is one of the best. I have never eaten in the main dining room on Celebrity because we dine in Luminae which is comparable to Oceania. I spent a month on Insignia in S. America. If I had the choice, I would choose Insignia. However, timing and itinerary is an important factor...most important to me. 

18 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

I have traveled on Insignia and definitely thought the food was a step ahead of Princess and Royal.  I am debating whether to book another cruise on Insignia or try the Celebrity Summit for 2022.  Pricing seems comparable.  The only reason I am considering Summit is a preference in the month of travel (June for Summit vs. July for Insignia).

I am particularly interested in hearing from people who have sailed both cruise lines on the comparison of the food between the standard main dining rooms and buffets (I know the buffet style may change due to the pandemic) on the 2 cruise lines.

Oceania is a step and a half above Celebrity in the main dining room. The Terrace Cafe is three or four steps above the Celebrity buffet. 

• Like 3

I've cruised on both Celebrity and Oceania.  Oceania's food is now so far above Celebrity's in both quality and presentation, we've decided to avoid Celebrity in the future.

We thought we would be fine booking Celebrity's Aqua Class and eating in Blu for breakfast and dinner, but it was a huge disappointment on our last cruise. Celebrity's lunch buffet was a madhouse. No more Celebrity cruises for us.

I agree with the previous comments.  I went to Bermuda on the Summit, and while the food was okay, to me it was just okay.  I was expecting much better, so was a bit disappointed.  Our next trip was the Insignia to Bermuda, and for us there was no question that Oceania was significantly better.  Of course, this does depend on preferences, food is very subjective.  To me, the service was also much better.  On our last cruise on the Sirena in March, we met 5 crew members that recognized us from the Insignia cruise a year earlier.  I am sad that we will most likely not experience that on our next cruise with the long time that there is no cruising.  

Another Elite Plus Celebrity cruiser here.

After our last X cruise opting for a regular balcony cabin and the MDR instead of our usual Aqua/Blu choice we've almost given up on Celebrity.

There are a few things that Celebrity does better in the buffet but the Terrace Cafe and even Waves are generally superior.

If the pricing is comparable (another plus) there wouldn't be any question about booking O over X.

13 hours ago, emd138 said:

Of course, this does depend on preferences, food is very subjective.

That's definitely true, then there's another sub set of people. We have at least two close friends/family members that 90% of the time when we go out to eat their selections will come from the children's menu. These are people in their 50s-60s. Needless to say their opinion in not asked about places to eat. There are more people like that out there than most people would realize. 

Concerning Oceania vs Celebrity. I've done both considerable times, while I'm only Elite and not Elite Plus on Celebrity I'm pretty sure the food in the MDR tastes the same either way. I don't cruise in Aqua or Suites on Celebrity so have no idea about Blu or Luminae, but I have dined in the specialty restaurants and really don't find that much "special" about them. In my simple opinion I find Oceania's food superior. There's also the no charge for specialties thing. Having said all that I've never gone hungry on either line, and actually enjoyed the food quite a bit on both.

On another subject I find the wines by the glass on the drink packages superior on Celebrity. Actually other than one or two items I find the whole beverage package on Celebrity superior. Then again I usually find plenty to drink on either line. 

Depending on itinerary and price I'd go on either. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ORV said:

That's definitely true, then there's another sub set of people. We have at least two close friends/family members that 90% of the time when we go out to eat their selections will come from the children's menu. These are people in their 50s-60s. Needless to say their opinion in not asked about places to eat. There are more people like that out there than most people would realize. 

Concerning Oceania vs Celebrity. I've done both considerable times, while I'm only Elite and not Elite Plus on Celebrity I'm pretty sure the food in the MDR tastes the same either way. I don't cruise in Aqua or Suites on Celebrity so have no idea about Blu or Luminae, but I have dined in the specialty restaurants and really don't find that much "special" about them. In my simple opinion I find Oceania's food superior. There's also the no charge for specialties thing. Having said all that I've never gone hungry on either line, and actually enjoyed the food quite a bit on both.

On another subject I find the wines by the glass on the drink packages superior on Celebrity. Actually other than one or two items I find the whole beverage package on Celebrity superior. Then again I usually find plenty to drink on either line. 

Depending on itinerary and price I'd go on either. 

Something else. The iced tea. On Celebrity it is the typical machine ice tea like served at fast food restaurants. On Oceania it must be brewed and iced. It is deliciuos.  

I am Elite Plus on Celebrity and would still book Celebrity based on itinerary. Many Oceania itineraries are too port intensive for me. 

9 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Something else. The iced tea. On Celebrity it is the typical machine ice tea like served at fast food restaurants. On Oceania it must be brewed and iced. It is deliciuos.  

I am Elite Plus on Celebrity and would still book Celebrity based on itinerary. Many Oceania itineraries are too port intensive for me. 

We make our own ice tea on Oceania, wasn't aware that it was good. Of course until the breakfast waiters get used to us they think ordering 2 hot water pots, 4 Dejarrling tea bags & 6 glasses of ice(ice is always the issue) is nuts.  On Celebrity we get the Forte tea from Al Bacio which is great. Then we take it to breakfast with us(we're not coffee drinkers)

Another Celebrity Elite Plus who has taken 29 Celebrity cruises (first one in 1993 when it was not owned by RCI and MDR dining was 5 star without Specialty Restaurants) and only two on Oceania. Food on Oceania is far superior to current Celebrity dining including AQ and all Specialty Restaurants.  

As for the buffets, have you ever seen grilled Lobster tails served on a Celebrity ship????

Edited by Loracpin2
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

As for the buffets, have you ever seen grilled Lobster tails served on a Celebrity ship????

You didn't mention "cooked to order" along with shrimp, steak, lamb chops, etc.

On 2/5/2021 at 3:53 PM, tgg said:

I've cruised on both Celebrity and Oceania.  Oceania's food is now so far above Celebrity's in both quality and presentation, we've decided to avoid Celebrity in the future.

We thought we would be fine booking Celebrity's Aqua Class and eating in Blu for breakfast and dinner, but it was a huge disappointment on our last cruise. Celebrity's lunch buffet was a madhouse. No more Celebrity cruises for us.

Were you afraid of being trampled by hundreds of passengers behaving as if they hadn't had a meal in days? :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

You didn't mention "cooked to order" along with shrimp, steak, lamb chops, etc.

Funny, I’ve never ordered my lobster cooked “ rubberized “ on Oceania, but so typically get it that way in the Terrace and Waves we stopped ordering it there. Only in the PG now.

Funny story on lobster tails. Question: How can you tell the cruise industry is shut down? 

Answer: Our local Kroger was selling similar to Oceania size lobster tails for $5.99 each. Those tails have to be sold somewhere! 

My wonderful wife has no problem preparing them wonderfully delicious without the Oceania rubberizing. Of course food is subjective. It’s like steaks, some people want theirs well done, so rubberized over cooked lobster may be special to dome. Oceania has plenty of very good food. Rarely found their lobster tails to fall into that category.

36 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

My wonderful wife has no problem preparing them wonderfully delicious without the Oceania rubberizing.

How does she do them please? It's such a treat here in the West that I'm not very picky, I admit.

48 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Were you afraid of being trampled by hundreds of passengers behaving as if they hadn't had a meal in days? :classic_laugh:

😁😁 Guess you've sailed on Celebrity too.

• Like 1

Pinolover,

Here are my thoughts on lobster and food on Oceania.

It is available daily in EVERY food venue - as sandwich at Waves, grilled at Terrace, steamed in Polo, thermidor in Jacques, as Diavolo in Toscana and Pad Thai in RG. On my 21 day Crystal cruise lobster was offered twice.

Also I can have foie gras either sautéed or pate from Jacques daily if I am in a PH. On Crystal foie gras was not offered even once in 21 days. I doubt it’s much better on X.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Pinolover,

Here are my thoughts on lobster and food on Oceania.

It is available daily in EVERY food venue - as sandwich at Waves, grilled at Terrace, steamed in Polo, thermidor in Jacques, as Diavolo in Toscana and Pad Thai in RG. On my 21 day Crystal cruise lobster was offered twice.

On our 16 day Crystal cruise I do not think I even saw lobster

My favourite appy was  1 shrimp cut in 3  served with a small portion creamed corn & popcorn 🙄🤣

Maybe you had to  be "in the know" to get  lobster

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Also I can have foie gras either sautéed

It may have been you that turned me on to asking politely if the foie that was wrapped in pastry with other things could just be seared. They were happy to do that.

ship foie.jpg

55 minutes ago, clo said:

It may have been you that turned me on to asking politely if the foie that was wrapped in pastry with other things could just be seared. They were happy to do that.

ship foie.jpg

Looks delicious. Love to pair it with a Sauternes. I try to do them once or twice on every cruise. Can’t pump more cholesterol and fish oil pills to have more often! 😢

1 hour ago, clo said:

ship foie.jpg

Indeed it was me.

They really try to please you if they can.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Looks delicious. Love to pair it with a Sauternes. I try to do them once or twice on every cruise. Can’t pump more cholesterol and fish oil pills to have more often! 😢

I need to try that. I remember your mentioning it. We buy a lobe a few times a year when we're in Seattle.

foie.jpg