Beverage Plan Questions

Virgo61

My husband and I have taken many cruises but none yet on HAL. The main reason is that we have a high status on Celebrity (Elite Plus) and are Platinum on Princess, and have been happy with those 2 lines. We were always put off by HAL not having reciprocity with Princess and the fact that they don't offer any kind of Military or Veteran's benefits. However, we decided to book a 2/2/2022 cruise on the Nieuw Statendam because of the itinerary. We booked the latest promo which included a signature beverage package. My first question is: If you order a drink for more than $11 do you pay the difference or the full price? Second question: Can you upgrade the free signature package to the more expensive one? And if "yes" can 1 passenger do it or does it have to be both? Finally does the free package include the gratuities for the serving staff?

Thank you for your help.

3 minutes ago, Virgo61 said:

My first question is: If you order a drink for more than $11 do you pay the difference or the full price?

Full price when ships were last sailing.

Second question: Can you upgrade the free signature package to the more expensive one? And if "yes" can 1 passenger do it or does it have to be both?

People have been able to upgrade - some with more success than others but it seemed to have gotten easier as time went on.

As to the 2nd part of your question, it’s a requirement that both passengers purchase a package if you are buying it so based on that, I would think both would have to do the upgrade.  

Finally does the free package include the gratuities for the serving staff?

‘Yes, it does. 

20 hours ago, VermeulT said:

My PCC said smoothies etc are covered too.  Where does one get those?  I've never tried before.

Unless they've changed the plan, the 15 limit was on alcoholic beverages, You could have as many coffees, smoothies, and other non-alcoholic drinks as your little bladder could hold.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Unless they've changed the plan, the 15 limit was on alcoholic beverages, You could have as many coffees, smoothies, and other non-alcoholic drinks as your little bladder could hold.

It may have changed or our PCC may be incorrect, but I asked and was told the 15 drink limit applied to non-alcoholic drinks as well.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, VermeulT said:

My PCC said smoothies etc are covered too.  Where does one get those?  I've never tried before.

We were able to order strawberry/banana smoothies from any of the places where you could get alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks (any bar or venue where drink orders were being taken). It took awhile to receive them at times, but we were always able to order and receive them, whether in the MDR, Lido Market, Theater, pool-side, etc..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rodndonna said:

It may have changed or our PCC may be incorrect, but I asked and was told the 15 drink limit applied to non-alcoholic drinks as well.

You can check it on HAL's site here:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq.shipboard-life.what-are-my-beverage-package-options.html

Here's the relevant language. I made the important part bold - for you and your bladder. The SBP and EBP include the Quench Package PLUS the 15 alcoholic beverages included with the respective package limits. This will help you to stay hydrated and caffeinated and juicinated.

ELITE PACKAGE

Only $59.95 per guest/per day*

Enjoy all the benefits from our Quench and Signature Packages and more! With the Elite Beverage Package you can enjoy all drinks menu priced $15 and under including Dale DeGroff’s Original Cocktails!

SIGNATURE PACKAGE

Only $54.95 per guest/per day*

Our Signature package includes everything from our Quench Package along with your favorite premium beers, spirits, cocktails, and wines by the glass priced $11 and under.

QUENCH PACKAGE

(NON-ALCOHOLIC)

Only $17.95 per guest/per day* Quench your thirst with our nonalcoholic package which includes an unlimited variety of premium coffees such as espresso and cappuccino, juices, Coca-Cola™ products, our signature mocktails, Red Bull, and bottled waters 500ml and under.

The Signature and Elite packages have a daily limit of 15 alcoholic beverages, which includes all alcoholic beverages with a menu price of $15 or less (Elite Beverage Package), or $11 or less (Signature Beverage Package). The Quench Beverage Package includes unlimited non-alcoholic beverages and bottled waters 500ml and under.

The packages exclude purchases made in the Mini Bar, Honor Bar, Chocolate Seduction, In-Room Dining, beverages purchased on Half Moon Cay and any self-service draft beer.

Freestyle Coca-Cola is currently only available on the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

We're also sailing the Nieuw Statendam in Aug, maybe, & also have the included beverage plan.  Didn't know about the $11 per drink limit.  Even Carnival's Cheers beverage plan is $20/drink limit.  Why so low on HAL...?

Most cocktails come in under the $11/drink limit; very few wines do, but there is a larger selection on the Elite Package. Are the drinks on Carnival more expensive? 

12 hours ago, POA1 said:

You can check it on HAL's site here:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq.shipboard-life.what-are-my-beverage-package-options.html

Here's the relevant language. I made the important part bold - for you and your bladder. The SBP and EBP include the Quench Package PLUS the 15 alcoholic beverages included with the respective package limits. This will help you to stay hydrated and caffeinated and juicinated.

ELITE PACKAGE

Only $59.95 per guest/per day*

Enjoy all the benefits from our Quench and Signature Packages and more! With the Elite Beverage Package you can enjoy all drinks menu priced $15 and under including Dale DeGroff’s Original Cocktails!

SIGNATURE PACKAGE

Only $54.95 per guest/per day*

Our Signature package includes everything from our Quench Package along with your favorite premium beers, spirits, cocktails, and wines by the glass priced $11 and under.

QUENCH PACKAGE

(NON-ALCOHOLIC)

Only $17.95 per guest/per day* Quench your thirst with our nonalcoholic package which includes an unlimited variety of premium coffees such as espresso and cappuccino, juices, Coca-Cola™ products, our signature mocktails, Red Bull, and bottled waters 500ml and under.

The Signature and Elite packages have a daily limit of 15 alcoholic beverages, which includes all alcoholic beverages with a menu price of $15 or less (Elite Beverage Package), or $11 or less (Signature Beverage Package). The Quench Beverage Package includes unlimited non-alcoholic beverages and bottled waters 500ml and under.

The packages exclude purchases made in the Mini Bar, Honor Bar, Chocolate Seduction, In-Room Dining, beverages purchased on Half Moon Cay and any self-service draft beer.

Freestyle Coca-Cola is currently only available on the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam.

Thanks for the clarification POA. Happy to see Mocktails in the unlimited as well, since I have become something of a lightweight in the last few years.

14 hours ago, RuthC said:

Most cocktails come in under the $11/drink limit; very few wines do, but there is a larger selection on the Elite Package. Are the drinks on Carnival more expensive? 

Carnival's liquors are a little more expensive that HAL's, but their $20 covers more than what HAL's EBP would. Remember that Carnival's clientele is more likely to be a beer bunch than a cognac and Champagne crowd. The cruise lines price these things based on averages, not outliers. Holland America's cruisers would "cost" more on average if the cap were $20/drink.

Disclaimer: We've never actually sailed on Carnival, but I've looked at the various cruise lines' beverage packages in my capacity as A Drink Whisperer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Bogie Man said:

How difficult is getting your wine glass refilled in the MDR when you have the signature beverage package? 

No problems. The waiters have the 'SB package' wines, so we never waited. On Celebrity we had to wait on the Sommelier. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, catlet said:

No problems. The waiters have the 'SB package' wines, so we never waited. On Celebrity we had to wait on the Sommelier. 

It will depend on your beverage. There are wine stewards there all the time...they can get anything. On our last cruise, the wine steward always kept an eye on our table. All I had to do was make eye contact,  and another drink appeared within a couple of minutes.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 6:05 PM, RuthC said:

I agree with Ruth. You'll have plenty to choose from. In the MDR I would order a Bailey's on the Rocks to have with dessert, and they would offer me a double because it was under $11.00. The lounges also have specialty drinks (Another Brick in the Wall was a favorite), and martinis that were delicious. My kids tell me the drinks on Carnival are very expensive. If they had a drink package on HAL it would be a loss for the cruise line 😁

13 hours ago, Bogie Man said:

How difficult is getting your wine glass refilled in the MDR when you have the signature beverage package? 

It is my experience that each waiter station has a dedicated wine steward.  If you are on fixed dining,  you will have the same wine steward throughout your cruise.  You can count on your wine being nearby and your glass refilled quickly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

With the Signature beverage package  are water bottles  ,soft soda drinks ,juices , smoothies  ,malteds  included   ?  

TIA for your replies 

Not sure what a malted is so can’t address that but as to the rest - yes they are included.  IIRC only a certain sized bottle of water qualified for the package the other did not.  I think that can change from cruise to cruise?

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Not sure what a malted is so can’t address that but as to the rest - yes they are included.  IIRC only a certain sized bottle of water qualified for the package the other did not.  I think that can change from cruise to cruise?

Thanks   A malted  has malt ,milk ,syrup   & then mixed at high speeds,Yum 

1 minute ago, mcrcruiser said:

Thanks   A malted  has malt ,milk ,syrup   & then mixed at high speeds,Yum 

I would think that would be the same as a milkshake or a smoothie then as far as being included in the package.  Basically all non alcoholic drinks are supposed to included to the best of my knowledge - including mocktails.