What cruises are on your current bucket list?

Honolulu Blue

3 hours ago, OZ. said:

If it took her 5 years to get the flakiest croissant then she doesn’t know the science behind baking. A 20 course degustation is nuts to me, but to each their own. 🙄

Actually it was science that let her create the croissant. No joke her previous job was a rocket scientist😂. She said she used her knowledge of engineering and chemistry to increase the amount of layers, while figuring of the perfect layer pattern that would guarantee that every layer would separate, not collapse and separate at certain distance from each other. I will say it did look like the puffiest croissant I had ever seen and when they cut it half you could see all the layers separated in this honeycomb shape. They said it takes 3 days to make the croissants😁

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2021 at 9:09 PM, OZ. said:

I didn’t even know they made $50K handbags. 🤪

I just asked Mrs Ldubs who sells a $50K handbag.  She says maybe Hermes.  Me personally, I would rather have a brown paper bag with $50K in it.  😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Preacherman46 said:

I did consider that we would have to call a taxi and, if I get the number, I could call from my cell phone? Do you think it would be a very different charge or issue if they picked us up at the top of the garden? I don't think we can exit from the bottom? I haven't checked out the church area that you are suggesting for getting a taxi but I did see a street on google map that goes down and ends by the Circus. We could walk down there?

I will also check on the church and timing for us for the Gregorian chants. We love that!

Happy to help -- when is your trip planned?

Yes, if you have a cell phone you can call a taxi easily. They will charge you for whatever distance they travel to reach you, but there are generally quite a few cabs around the Colosseum and Circus Maximus so you shouldn't have to pay that much extra. Same with your question about the pick-up at the top of the garden. You'll just have to be clear when you call as to exactly where you will be waiting.

The most common numbers are 060609 (Rome city) and 063570 (largest radio-taxi operator in Rome.) Other numbers include 066645, 065551, 064994, 064157. If you are using a cell phone from another country, make sure to dial +39 first (country code for Italy.)

Good luck with your travel.

10 hours ago, OZ. said:

If it took her 5 years to get the flakiest croissant then she doesn’t know the science behind baking. A 20 course degustation is nuts to me, but to each their own. 🙄

Science gets one a croissant sold in neighborhood grocery stores. This is satisfactory to most palettes. But as in painting, scotch, and haut couture there is art.  A level well above science.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 2/9/2021 at 9:30 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

Today's question for you all is what cruises are on your current bucket list.  I'll go first:

• Music-themed charter cruise - My only current cruise booking is one of these, in March '22.  I have my doubts about whether it will go, how much it will change if it does go, and whether I'll like what I end up with.  But I'm hopeful.
  • New Zealand cruise - currently hostile to foreigners (excepting Australia), but they'll come around once we all get our acts together
  • Circumnavigate Australia - currently hostile to foreigners (excepting New Zealand), but they'll probably come around once we all get our acts together
  • Pacific crossing from the U.S. West Coast to Australia
  • Africa Grand Voyage - I'm highly intrigued by HAL's current offering for late 2022.  I hope they or someone else has a similar journey in a decade or so when I will have more time (and $$$) for such things.

UPDATE:  I did the music-themed charter cruise in February and March - two of them in fact, side-to-side with two days in between.  It was a great experience that I posted extensively about.  I'm too lazy to link the thread, sorry.

The Africa Grand Voyage is still listed by HAL as heading out in late '22.  They've added a similar voyage in late '23.  There's a very small chance I'll make it in '22, slightly bigger chance for '23, hoping they continue to make this a yearly thing until I have a chance to go.

The reason why I made this update is that I found a cruise that would check off the middle three items all at once.  It's a transpacific that circumnavigates Australia, makes several stops in New Zealand, and then heads back to the U.S.  It's a closed loop voyage from San Diego that runs January-April 2024 that lasts 94 days.  Yes, it's as long as some world cruises and priced similarly.  Isn't that what home equity loans are for? 😁  I'm intrigued, very intrigued.  I could make this work if I really wanted to.  The odds are against it, but stay tuned.  The link is at https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/W4A94A/V410.html .

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much only repositioning (or other trans-ocean) itineraries.  At this point I have come to realize that the best way to see places is to actually go to them -- not to ride a crowded ship which will stop for a few hours at a port likely to be hours and miles away from anything worth seeing.

Still -- crossing an ocean on a ship, after looking around at what's on the other side, is a great way to come home from a trip.  Cruising, as an activity of its own, has been so dumbed down that it has largely lost its attraction.