Booked in 2021, Cancelled by Carnival in 2021 -- Still giving $600 OBC

MsOne

Hi, I've been reading off and on for a few days and even did a search but I haven't seen this particular situation addressed and couldn't find a straight answer through Carnival.com. My question is, if I book a 7-day cruise today for spring/summer of 2021 and Carnival ends up cancelling it, will I get the option to use what I paid as future cruise credit (FCC) and get the $600 onboard credit? The reason this is a question is because I didn't know if it was still an incentive being offered, or if all the people commenting are people who booked and surprisingly had their cruise cancelled last year when the pandemic was still a new revelation. Most of the posts seem to be people who have rebooked once or multiple times.

Cruises cancelled by carnival are still getting FCC. You can't double dip on FCC but could book multiple cruises. Interesting, it sounds as if you're booking hoping to get canceled to save on a future cruise. Interesting strategy 😀 .

Edited by cruisingguy007

2 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Cruises cancelled by carnival are still getting FCC. You can't double dip on FCC but could book multiple cruises. Interesting, it sounds as if you're booking hoping to get canceled to save on a future cruise. Interesting strategy 😀 .

Is the "double dip," you're referring to the $600? I thought the future cruise credit would be what I actually spent on the fare...if so, I don't get how that's double dipping. Allowing me to use basically a store credit vs. a refund is standard, not an incentive. 

My April 2021 cruise was cancelled and I was able to move everything I paid on that cruise to a cruise in August.  I got a refund on my credit card for a small amount since my August cruise was less expensive.  I also received a $600 OBC.  My August cruise has the free cheers package, so I am fine with everything.  

So here's how it works.  You spend $1000 of YOUR money on a cruise and it gets cancelled.  Carnival gives you FCC of $1000 to be used by Spring '23 (as things currently stand).  On top of that they give you $600 total (not pp) in future onboard credit for your rebooked cruise.  This is for a cancelled cruise of 6+ days (shorter get $300).  The only thing you can't do is to add a 'new' onboard credit on top of a previously booked cruise where you already have an existing 'thank you' credit from a prior cancellation..... the famed 'no stacking' provision. (Two cancelled cruises can't be doubled up and create a $1200 OBC.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, jsglow said:

So here's how it works.  You spend $1000 of YOUR money on a cruise and it gets cancelled.  Carnival gives you FCC of $1000 to be used by Spring '23 (as things currently stand).  On top of that they give you $600 total (not pp) in future onboard credit for your rebooked cruise.  This is for a cancelled cruise of 6+ days (shorter get $300).  The only thing you can't do is to add a 'new' onboard credit on top of a previously booked cruise where you already have an existing 'thank you' credit from a prior cancellation..... the famed 'no stacking' provision. (Two cancelled cruises can't be doubled up and create a $1200 OBC.)

47 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Great, thank you for spelling that out. I was mainly just making sure it's still being offered. Some first time cruisers actually said they wanted to go but were hesitant about paying right now. I think knowing we can reschedule if things don't work out, plus the bonus incentive will help get them to go ahead and move forward on the booking....and same for an avid cruiser who loves Royal.

Also, I didn't know the extension is now until April 2023! Even better since we have an early 2023 cruise planned!!!

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

My April 2021 cruise was cancelled and I was able to move everything I paid on that cruise to a cruise in August.  I got a refund on my credit card for a small amount since my August cruise was less expensive.  I also received a $600 OBC.  My August cruise has the free cheers package, so I am fine with everything.  

Thank you for letting me know this is still going on. I have the RU1 offer which made it $70 more per person but I have to use it by early 2022. I wonder if that will be changed. I'm also curious to know if I use the drink package offer but the cruise is cancelled, will it appear again under my offers. I guess that's the next big question I need to be on the lookout for. I think I will hold off on using it since we have a cruise 2023 planned.

Edited by MsOne
forgot to address a comment

6 hours ago, MsOne said:

I have the RU1 offer which made it $70 more per person but I have to use it by early 2022. I wonder if that will be changed. I'm also curious to know if I use the drink package offer but the cruise is cancelled, will it appear again under my offers. I guess that's the next big question I need to be on the lookout for. I think I will hold off on using it since we have a cruise 2023 planned.

The Cheers drinks package is only valid from some ports.

so if your future Cruise is from one of these ports, yes you will get the drink package as an option to choose

Edited by drsel

11 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

The Carnival marketing strategy department knows very well that people are purposely booking Cruises and hoping that they will get cancelled, in order to get $600 OBC.

but they are also smart by keeping the future Cruises increasingly more and more expensive, to compensate for the 600 OBC given freely

Then again, most Cruise lines have increased prices significantly, to make up for 14-16 months of no income and huge losses.

Norwegian and Celebrity have gone through the roof

Edited by drsel

7 hours ago, MsOne said:

....and same for an avid cruiser who loves Royal.

I'm also curious to know if I use the drink package offer but the cruise is cancelled, will it appear again under my offers. I guess that's the next big question I need to be on the lookout for. I think I will hold off on using it since we have a cruise 2023 planned.

No one knows when or if the drink pkg will be offered again, but my guess is yes as it seems to be a big success. Same price as free internet. ..I choose free drinks. 

I'm guessing your avid rcl cruiser wants carnival? 

17 hours ago, MsOne said:

Hi, I've been reading off and on for a few days and even did a search but I haven't seen this particular situation addressed and couldn't find a straight answer through Carnival.com. My question is, if I book a 7-day cruise today for spring/summer of 2021 and Carnival ends up cancelling it, will I get the option to use what I paid as future cruise credit (FCC) and get the $600 onboard credit? The reason this is a question is because I didn't know if it was still an incentive being offered, or if all the people commenting are people who booked and surprisingly had their cruise cancelled last year when the pandemic was still a new revelation. Most of the posts seem to be people who have rebooked once or multiple times.

In direct response to this:

It will depend on what Carnival offers when they cancel the cruise. 

It is very likely that they will offer the same compensation package as before (where you will get $600 OBC as well as 100% of the paid fare as FCC).  So far, for all cancellations related to COVID-19, they have offered that.

It is possible, however, that they will not make that offer the next time around - there is no guarantee.  

17 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

If and when they cancel my May cruise, I plan on booking for the first available day for a 7 day in hopes of it getting cancelled to turn my $300 back into $600. My original cruise that got cancelled was an 8 day and we moved it to a 5 day. They still gave me my $600obc, but said if it got cancelled I would only be offered the $300 based on the shorter cruise.

6 hours ago, drsel said:

The Carnival marketing strategy department knows very well that people are purposely booking Cruises and hoping that they will get cancelled, in order to get $600 OBC.

but they are also smart by keeping the future Cruises increasingly more and more expensive, to compensate for the 600 OBC given freely

FWIW, booking Mardi Gras cruise for Thanksgiving week 2022 is slightly cheaper than the one I booked for Thanksgiving week of 2021 that I made in February of last year.

44 minutes ago, ARcruisin2 said:

Since it is relatively new offer... is it yet to be known as to whether the Cheers included offer can be rolled to a future cruise, if they cancel your cruise with that type of booking ?

you can't roll over the Cheers free offer, but you can choose a future cruise which includes the offer