So do I postpone Alaska again or wait ?

RetiredRich

In 2019 we moved our Seattle to Alaska cruise to August 2021.  Now with the Canadian restrictions do we need to move it again ?  I see where maybe they will give the cruise ships special permission.  So do I wait for that or change again?  Also how is it that they are still selling cruise deals to Alaska of 2021 ?  We paid in full to get the perks for this cruise.  Wonder if they will carry over.  Same with our air fare we paid for already.  Wonder if they will let us postpone again.  Very confused.

There is NO indication there will be a waiver of the PVSA...just a lot of wishful thinking and speculation with no basis in fact.

No one knows what the final outcome will be at this point. Yes, Canada could open up, if conditions if prove significantly. But that seems unlikely.

The decision is yours. It would seem highly unlikely you will be sailing to Alaska in 2021.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, RetiredRich said:

In 2019 we moved our Seattle to Alaska cruise to August 2021.  Now with the Canadian restrictions do we need to move it again ?  I see where maybe they will give the cruise ships special permission.  So do I wait for that or change again?  Also how is it that they are still selling cruise deals to Alaska of 2021 ?  We paid in full to get the perks for this cruise.  Wonder if they will carry over.  Same with our air fare we paid for already.  Wonder if they will let us postpone again.  Very confused.

I don't see HAL selling Alaska for 2021 as of this morning. I would say  99.9% chance it being cancelled. That being said,  I generally think you are always better off letting them do the cancelling in terms of what your future options will be.

• Like 7

First question I would be asking, is do I wish to vacation w/ the conditions that HAL is currently indicating will be in place?  Read about planned health protocols here:  https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/coronavirus-travel-advisory/traveling-and-staying-healthy.html

Personally I would wait.  You mention you're paid in full, which will mean you will receive a future cruise credit of 125% of the base fare paid - but only if HAL cancels.  Your perquisites, sadly, won't carry over to your new booking, but 2022 sailings w/ Eurodam and Oosterdam are being offered out of Seattle rn w/ the Have it All promotion which is the drinks, prepaid gratuities, specialty dining plus wifi for suites.

Only thing left to manage would be your air ?    But I agree that Alaska seems very doubtful this season.     Scott. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I don't see HAL selling Alaska for 2021 as of this morning. I would say  99.9% chance it being cancelled. That being said,  I generally think you are always better off letting them do the cancelling in terms of what your future options will be.

HAL announced on Feb. 4/21 that they would be temporarily suspending sailings in 2021 until they could assess what if any of the 2021 season could be preserved - https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/2021-press-releases1/news-02042021-AlaskaCanadaRestrictions.html

The fact they are not selling 2021 Alaska is not an indicator of anything IMO since that is exactly what they said they would do.

Their decision / announcement may take some time.

• Like 2

I was booked for the 14 day Statendam for Aug 2020.  Then booked for Aug 2021.  Then booked for May 2021 on the Koningsdam/Oosterdam (Vancouver round trip/ Seattle round trip) DIY back to back.

Now I'm booked for New Year's in the Caribbean. 

If you're using cruise credits and want to try - go for it... book again in late summer.  But know it's very likely not going to happen.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

HAL announced on Feb. 4/21 that they would be temporarily suspending sailings in 2021 until they could assess what if any of the 2021 season could be preserved - https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/2021-press-releases1/news-02042021-AlaskaCanadaRestrictions.html

The fact they are not selling 2021 Alaska is not an indicator of anything IMO since that is exactly what they said they would do.

Their decision / announcement may take some time.

The comment on the 'not selling of the cruises' was in response to the OP asking 'how they are still selling the cruises?'.  I don't see them, but perhaps it is a Canadian site verses American site.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RetiredRich said:

I emailed my Cruise Agent about all the chatter on CC re. this topic.  I am on a Sept. 2021 Alaskan cruise which has been postponed x 2 - she messaged me to hang tight, the cruise companies are in contact with the govt. and trying to work something out.  I have been cancelled x 2, so I don't mind waiting awhile.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BJzink said:

I emailed my Cruise Agent about all the chatter on CC re. this topic.  I am on a Sept. 2021 Alaskan cruise which has been postponed x 2 - she messaged me to hang tight, the cruise companies are in contact with the govt. and trying to work something out.  I have been cancelled x 2, so I don't mind waiting awhile.

Sounds like that is what is being told to Carnival cruisers -  never say never I guess.....

9 hours ago, RetiredRich said:

It will do no harm for you to wait until HAL makes the options - either cruise suspension or alternative land based itinerary - available to to you. You will retain the opportunity for a 100% refund or selecting the FCC of your basic cruise fare plus 25%. Your taxes and fees will be refunded either way. Unfortunately, promotional amenities do not carry over and at the rate 2022 inventory is selling, in general, the pricing has been higher.

Edited by mringenoldus

We moved our July 2021 Alaska trip (which had been rescheduled from 2020) to 2022 on Monday. 

We have a specific cabin type we want and the weeks we can go are limited due to work stuff. We’d rather wait another  year and know we’ll have the trip we want than compromise or put it off for another year.

The price was about $1000 more and we lost some OBC. But at this point, with 2

extra years and no travel!!, we decided to go ahead.

YMMV of course

Edited by jm485
  • Like 2

We would always want our refund.  Now-not later.

Not the promise of a refund in some other year if it does not work out.  That way we have certainty and the ability to shop next season or do something completely different.  The FCC and other promises would not tempt us. 

Besides, by the time cruising starts up again who knows what ships will remain in the fleet or what, if any cruise line brands CCL decides to amalgamate or eliminate.

Edited by iancal

27 minutes ago, jm485 said:

The price was about $1000 more and we lost some OBC

I mentioned the loss of OBC to a HAL representative and she, without prompting, escalated my phone call and my OBC was restored.  I am not a super Mariner or anything, I was just being polite.  

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 6:43 AM, rodndonna said:

The comment on the 'not selling of the cruises' was in response to the OP asking 'how they are still selling the cruises?'.  I don't see them, but perhaps it is a Canadian site verses American site.

The earliest 2021 cruise listed on HAL’s itineraries for the Koningsdam is the Mexican Riviera 11/14/21 out of San Diego.  We re scheduled for the week prior to that for a Pacific Coast itinerary.  We are also scheduled for August 2021 to Alaska which is also not showing up. Neither of our bookings has been cancelled.  I’m hanging tight.  There are lots of moving parts.  Alaska needs the tourism money, the US should be vaccinated by summer, Canada has shut down their ports but still needs tourism dollars, the CDC has set high standards for cruising resuming.  I’m pretty sure that one of these days  the cruise industry will be able to resume operations in the U.S. 

• Like 2

If I were you, (but I’m not); let THEM cancel the cruise. Whyso?? They will sweeten the deal for your inconvenience. If it actually sails... by all means go and have a nice time. However, if you are not comfortable with the uncertainty and worry of all this.... then cancel tomorrow.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, iancal said:

There are really two questions. The first is do you think Alaska routes will be open.

The second is....would you really want to cruise given the restrictions that would most likely be imposed?

There is no answer to your first question. Cruise lines, ASTA and CLIA are lobbying Canada and the CDC for further consideration to proposals that would uphold Canada's dedication to eradicating the virus while not crushing the Alaskan and cruise line economies. At this time any answer would need to come from someone with a crystal ball.

In response to your second question, I would propose that it would be far less impactful to wear a mask in Alaska than, for example, on a Caribbean cruise. Outside of mask-wearing, social distancing, ship excursions only and the need to make reservations, the majority of changes to cruise life are occurring behind the scenes for the passenger and crew's benefit and will only enhance a safe and healthy cruise.

• Like 2

Here's some hopeful news.  Like the OP, we have a HAL cruised booked for August, 2021.

This quote below is from the website of the Federal Maritime Commission, dated Feb 10.  The writer is Commissioner Sola.

...In short, this action by the Canadian government may very well result in the loss of a second season for a significant portion of the Alaska cruise business.  Another lost season represents a potentially devastating blow to the livelihoods of thousands of Alaskans.  As noted in my report, the cruise industry generates tens of thousands of direct and indirect jobs in Alaska annually. It is because of this that I encourage both the Biden administration and Congress to quickly review this issue and consider a limited exception to the PVSA while simultaneously engaging the Canadian government on the diplomatic front to address this particular problem"

• Like 2