Picture-A-Week 2021 - Week 08

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, February 15 and Sunday, February 21.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Well, we are out of lockdown again. Only 5 days this time, but wears one out.

Went for a little walk this afternoon at Newport Lakes. Around 85f.  A few damselflies, a couple catching up because lockdown included Valentines Day.. plus a dragonfly.

5E46CA68-591B-4103-BEC4-CBACF8665543.thumb.jpeg.ce9ad11fae17e28f46e607d797f69722.jpeg

AC866AB6-F5FE-4482-8A5E-B7373C5CC316.thumb.jpeg.de63845db13e22ed6e1f07e0f7a801d6.jpeg

836B775F-59C4-45A8-A707-B548D17C4D76.thumb.jpeg.3db2d3cce83108d896226af328879421.jpeg

BDAEBB0D-F9BF-4E4F-B3E7-C82F8CAC6CCA.jpeg.0daeff371fa5b9026d942d144025bf8a.jpeg

• Like 4

Consistency. If you use or do something, like it and want to repeat, consistency lets you have the same positive experience. Over the last year, consistency has taken a hit with seemingly random rule changes making positive experiences an endangered species. Mingling with the masses at Wal-Mart is ok but your favorite boutique or café is shuttered using same social distancing “science”. There are a few shiny spots amongst the rust and tarnish that has taken the gloss off of life. Unlike restaurants and bars closed as deadly pits of viral spread, take-out venues like In-N-Out that traditionally had little indoor seating have continued to provide their consistently excellent burgers and fries without interruption. Even the block-long drive-thru lines have remained consistent.

An Island of Consistency

348297637_2021-08AnIslandofConsistency.thumb.jpg.5e0f9bf144654ac8e2d88fec4f83ee9f.jpg

Dave

• Like 4

Definitely miss In N Out.  Wish they'd expand to Florida!

My weekend wetlands outing for this Saturday had some usual suspects, a few new suspects, and lots of nesting activity.

An otter spotting me standing near the shore of the marsh (note here I'm at 324mm):

original.jpg

And boldly coming right up to the shore, just 10-12 feet from me, to check me out closer (now I'm at 200mm):

original.jpg

And then I got this rather strange display - it turned around, and wiggled its bum at me, tail flapping all around, before plunging back in the water:

original.jpg

The elusive least bittern, sneaking out of the reeds to look for fish below:

original.jpg

A boat-tailed grackle male, puffing up to attract a mate, and showing how they got the name, with that giant tail:

original.jpg

Beautiful tricolor heron soaring above in the clear blue sky (for those in cold places, let it be known it was sunny, 82 degrees, and clear):

original.jpg

A great egret soaring through that same lovely clear sky - note the green lores around the eye and bill, which only happens during breeding season:

original.jpg

Everyone that visits the local wetlands here is hoping and crossing their fingers that this pair of roseate spoonbills, regular visitors to the wetlands but never nesting here, decide to stick around - this pair was gathering sticks, building out a nesting area, and definitely were close to each other...we've never had spoonbills nest in this location:

original.jpg

• Like 4