Tauck Danube, Category 5 or 6, June or September

RNCheryl

We have decided to spend part of the kid's inheritance on a Danube cruise.  We have been on multiple ocean cruises, and an Avalon on the Rhine, which we totally enjoyed.

We have looked seriously at Tauck, mainly because of the excursions and all inclusive.  

So Early June is cat 5 $9040. cat 6, 9240

September is cat 5 9240, cat 6 9440.

Any comments on June vs September, or recommendations of which category?

I can't believe I am typing these numbers.

How many days is your cruise?

In September, students are back in school, and temps are more moderate.  Possibly a Cat. 3 to save some money.  Any particular reason you want a Cat. 5 or 6?

One thing that springs to mind, is the fact that September can have low water on the Danube. This is mostly an issue on the German Danube and if you are sailing on a 135m ship.

Would you like to post the itinerary you are considering?

notamermaid

We're mostly ocean cruisers but we took our first Tauck cruise a few years ago from Budapest to Amsterdam in September. It was absolutely amazing and worth every bit of the premium price. With COVID shredding 2020 and 2021 travel plans we've only been on one more of their tours since (land trip to Ireland) but are scheduled for their Switzerland land tour next June followed by their Paris to Lyon TGV trip and river cruise

As noted, September is a school month and the weather is pretty much okay so that's a good thing for river cruisers. As to the lower water level, we were stopped by it about mid-cruise (northbound) and while other lines were trying to figure out how to handle the problem (and acting like it was the first time it had ever happened), Tauck simply picked up our luggage and put us in a bus for a three-hour ride to meet and trade places with the cruisers on their identical southbound boat (which was "high and dry" on the other side of the low part of the river). Then both boats turned around and both groups of passengers completed the cruise they'd signed up for with very little disruption. Same model, same cabin numbers, and an "extra day" to choose whether we wanted to take excursions back to the place we missed between the two ports or stay in the area we were transferred to. Totally painless transition, especially after hearing the horror stories from others stuck on the river at the same place and time.

Our cabin category choices on river boats tend to be determined by the least expensive room over my threshold square foot requirements. I'm not terribly comfortable in anything less than 200 sq ft so that tends to be the cut point. After that we try to be at least a couple of doors aft of the gangplank to avoid the traffic and noise. French balconies don't do much for us since we're usually out of the cabin if there's anything we should be looking out the window at.

I could go on about Tauck's attitude, professionalism, and service but will leave that for you to discover.  My best advice is to start saving now, however; you're going to want to have the extra bucks available to spend on future Tauck experiences.

The major downside of our trips (land & river) is that we tend to "fall among bad companions" (usually Canadians or Aussies) on Tauck. I suppose we could avoid the bar (their main gathering place) but at those prices we want to take advantage of the extensive and expensive beverages we've alreasy paid for. Nobody has ever lost an eye so we've resigned ourselves to the hiliarity, good fun, and even the hangovers.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your time with Tauck.

Our Tauck cruise is The Blue Danube, 12 days.

Two overnights in Budapest

Bratislavia

Overnight in Vienna

Durnstein and Wachau Valley

Salzburg or Cesky Krumlov

Engelhartszell

Two nights in Prague

My inclination is for mid September booking.

As far as choosing a 5 or 6, really just the square footage.  I looked long and hard at Cat 3.  This is a split level type cabin, with an elevated sitting area.  Wondering how it compares to the Avalon experience; we loved relaxing on the bed and seeing the scenery as we cruised.  Not sure you could see out of the window on Cat 3 while in bed.  Anyone with experience with this type cabin?  By the way, the charge for this cabin is $8340, so around a 2K savings....

The itinerary looks great! And you disembark in Vilshofen to drive to Regensburg and then onto Prague. Smart move by Tauck as that avoids the low water stretch. Yes, would go for mid-September with this one as well.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, RNCheryl said:

Bratislavia

Overnight in Vienna

Engelhartszell

Two nights in Prague

As far as choosing a 5 or 6, really just the square footage.  I looked long and hard at Cat 3.  This is a split level type cabin, with an elevated sitting area.  Wondering how it compares to the Avalon experience; we loved relaxing on the bed and seeing the scenery as we cruised.  Not sure you could see out of the window on Cat 3 while in bed.  Anyone with experience with this type cabin?  By the way, the charge for this cabin is $8340, so around a 2K savings....

I am fascinated by the split level cabin. RiverCruiseAdvisor sailed in that cabin and posted a lot of pics. It doesn't look possible to see out the window while in bed, but the seating area next to the window is very nice.

Robin

11 minutes ago, acwmom said:

I am fascinated by the split level cabin. RiverCruiseAdvisor sailed in that cabin and posted a lot of pics. It doesn't look possible to see out the window while in bed, but the seating area next to the window is very nice.

Robin

I love that website! I remember those pics and the split level cabin looked pretty cool.

16 minutes ago, RNCheryl said:

River Cruise Advisor is new to me, and I really enjoyed the trip report on the Danube.  However, I could not find a review of the split level cabin on Tauck ships.

Any links?

There is a video here under #4:

https://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/2019/04/five-tips-for-choosing-your-stateroom/

OMG - there is the chapel from our photo quiz in the video!

Edited by Coral

We’re looking at Tauck’s Black Sea  to Budapest itinerary, maybe in 2022. Wondering about May vs  late August/early Sept., if water levels would be more of a concern in one season or the other. Hard to predict, of course. We’ve done one excellent land tour with Tauck (Costa Rica). Other lines do the Danube itinerary but we prefer Tauck’s itinerary for this one.

3 hours ago, RNCheryl said:

Bratislavia

Overnight in Vienna

Engelhartszell

Two nights in Prague

This is a great itinerary.

10 minutes ago, Coral said:

There is a video here under #4:

https://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/2019/04/five-tips-for-choosing-your-stateroom/

OMG - there is the chapel from our photo quiz in the video!

Oh, yes! It is Jochenstein!

The split level looks kind of grand. Nice. It says it is on the MS Savor. I wonder if the MS Joy has that as well. Those two sail the itinerary that the OP is interested in.

notamermaid

It's interesting, however as OP said, it's nice to relax on the bed and look out the window while getting ready to go out or for a meal.  I don't see being able to do that with the loft idea.  Avalon has seating in front of the window like that in the loft (a chair and a small love seat) and we found them very comfortable.  Mind you, we were usually hanging out the window looking at the scenery more than sitting down!

I do like the way they have the other beds so you can see out while on them.  Yes, if you are cruising during the day, you want to be where you can see both sides of the river, but when you are in your room for a bit, it's nice to be able to relax and watch the scene go by.  We "face timed" family while we were doing that, just to show them how nice it was!