Transferring Cruises from HAL to a TA

richwmn

for those who are in the habit of booking a cruise directly with HAL and then transferring it to a TA, there has been a change in policy (again).

Earlier today I sent the form to transfer a cruise I booked about a month ago to a TA I used for several of my cancelled cruises. They were very helpful in getting those cruises straightened out. I got an email from the PCC I used to make the initial booking asking what perks the TA was offering so he could match them and let me know that he would no longer get credit for the booking.

Looks like I will doing my initial bookings with the TA now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Rich,  My PCC confirmed that to me just the other day.  The new policy was effective Feb 1/21.  So, he basically "fired" me (in a kind way) and suggested I make all new bookings directly with the TA which would save me some steps (transferring within 60 days).  I have a cruise to cancel and rebook at a later date so will do that with the TA.  I'm sorry to not deal with the PCC anymore, though.  But I do get a better deal with the TA.

• Like 1

yes, they are going to transfer the booking.

I don't know about bookings on board, but quite a few people here have been booking cruises with a PCC, then transferring the cruise to a TA to get the discount you mentioned. Up until now the PCC got credit for the booking but that is no longer the case. There is no longer any benefit, to anyone, to do the initial booking with a PCC.

1 minute ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Hi Rich,  My PCC confirmed that to me just the other day.  The new policy was effective Feb 1/21.  So, he basically "fired" me (in a kind way) and suggested I make all new bookings directly with the TA which would save me some steps (transferring within 60 days).  I have a cruise to cancel and rebook at a later date so will do that with the TA.  I'm sorry to not deal with the PCC anymore, though.  But I do get a better deal with the TA.

My PCC basically said the same thing, and I did book another cruise directly with the TA today.

Interesting, I usually book onboard or use self-service online then transfer to the TA. For my last cruise booking I was forwarded to a PCC, this was the cruise where I booked solo and might want to convert to double.  I explained my usual habit and didn’t want her to put out effort without a commission. She told me not to worry that there was no commission.  Not knowing any different I proceeded.   I hate to mention this but that PCC screwed up my booking and I had to redo it the next day. 

Edited by Mary229

17 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Gotcha, if that applies to onboard booking I suspect it would significantly cut into their (the onboard PCC) business.

Iif you used a TA for your booking on your cruise and book onboard, is it not automatically transferred to your TA unless you specified you didn’t want it to happen?  That was what I had understood.  Similar to the purchase of the FCC’s?

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Iif you used a TA for your booking on your cruise and book onboard, is it not automatically transferred to your TA unless you specified you didn’t want it to happen?  That was what I had understood.  Similar to the purchase of the FCC’s?

Yes, that’s at least the way it was but I was told the Future Cruise Consultant got credit as well.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Yes, that’s at least the way it was but I was told the Future Cruise Consultant got credit as well.

Yes I was told that too.  I would think they would have to give some credit to the FCC or else why be willing to sit with people day in and out and answer questions and take orders?

I know the “credit” is different than the commission the TA’s receive.  I believe it leads toward different levels of bonuses.

Tricky indeed since the OBC for FCC’s is a lot less unless you book on board 😔 

2 hours ago, kazu said:

I booked our Volendam cruise on line, and when I got to the end, they charged my credit card for the entire amount. My TA is on holiday, so I planned to transfer it to her, and to clear up the charges. That's never happened before, and they didn't put my fcc's on it either. 

So I called HAL, they corrected the booking and credited my account, and emailed me the transfer form, that I sent right back.

AND... Yesterday I got an email that my transfer was rejected/not approved because I have paid for the cruise in full!

This is going to be an interesting phone call to HAL today. I will need to thank them for the deep discount. Never thought I would only pay $200.00 for a two week cruise for two😂!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/19/2021 at 8:57 PM, KAKcruiser said:

When you book online, there is a place to indicate whether you are paying a deposit or the cruise in full.  In any case, did you verify with your credit card company that a credit was issued?  

It was very strange. I looked for the charge and credit on the three cards I use, it didn't show up at all. No charge and no credit. Stephanie at the HAL main office took my problem to a Supervisor, and they gave my T/A the booking today. She was nice and very helpful. Everything a customer service person should be. Shout out to Stephanie!!!!

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 1:14 PM, richwmn said:

for those who are in the habit of booking a cruise directly with HAL and then transferring it to a TA, there has been a change in policy (again).

Earlier today I sent the form to transfer a cruise I booked about a month ago to a TA I used for several of my cancelled cruises. They were very helpful in getting those cruises straightened out. I got an email from the PCC I used to make the initial booking asking what perks the TA was offering so he could match them and let me know that he would no longer get credit for the booking.

Looks like I will doing my initial bookings with the TA now

I just learned this yesterday after booking a 34 day sailing with my PCC and then working on the transfer.  I feel so bad but can't lose out on $1300 that will pay for a lot of shore excursions.

I booked a cruise for 6/26/22 thru HAL website on 2/20/21 today I called HAL to request transferring to my TA. They sent me a form to fill out and it was done in less than 1 hr. my cruise was transferred to my TA. the whole process was very easy. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AllenF said:

I booked a cruise for 6/26/22 thru HAL website on 2/20/21 today I called HAL to request transferring to my TA. They sent me a form to fill out and it was done in less than 1 hr. my cruise was transferred to my TA. the whole process was very easy. 

I think the difference is you booked through the website, not a PCC. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I guess I am a bit slow, but why not just book with the TA in the first place?  Am I missing something here?

this has been discussed many times over the years. Several of us have had great PCCs at Holland America. For a long time mine assured me that as long as she got the initial booking she got the credit she needed and it didn't matter if the cruise was ultimately transferred to a TA for whatever perks were available. Until maybe a year ago the cruise could be transferred up until final payment. That changed to 60 days, but the PCC still got the credit they needed. On Feb 1st, the PCC stopped getting credit for transferred cruises, so at that point it no longer makes sense to try and give the PCC the initial booking.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 11:33 AM, kazu said:

Yes I was told that too.  I would think they would have to give some credit to the FCC or else why be willing to sit with people day in and out and answer questions and take orders?

I know the “credit” is different than the commission the TA’s receive.  I believe it leads toward different levels of bonuses.

Tricky indeed since the OBC for FCC’s is a lot less unless you book on board 😔 

Happily,  We found that if we booked the FCD onboard and booked within the IIRC 60 day time frame after returning  home from a cruise we could use the ZPM welcome home promo that gave the same OBC.  Win win as sometimes we need some time to decide.

Edited by bennybear

18 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Happily,  We found that if we booked the FCD onboard and booked within the IIRC 60 day time frame after returning  home from a cruise we could use the ZPM welcome home promo that gave the same OBC.  Win win as sometimes we need some time to decide.

Yes, I get the ZPM too as long as we book within the time frame.

The OBC you receive with an FCD now though is a lot less than what it was before unless you book on board from what I understand 😔 

I’m like you - far prefer to book when I return home.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, kazu said:

Yes, I get the ZPM too as long as we book within the time frame.

The OBC you receive with an FCD now though is a lot less than what it was before unless you book on board from what I understand 😔 

I’m like you - far prefer to book when I return home.  

I agree - we like using the ZPM and booking at home, but I wonder if this will be an option in the future?

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I think the difference is you booked through the website, not a PCC. 

Yes but I did the thing is the person I talked to at HAL customer service said it normally takes about a week for transfer to get processed but that things were very slow now and chances are it would happen faster. I would say it did for sure since it was done in about an hour.

3 minutes ago, AllenF said:

Yes but I did the thing is the person I talked to at HAL customer service said it normally takes about a week for transfer to get processed but that things were very slow now and chances are it would happen faster. I would say it did for sure since it was done in about an hour.

I have never had a transfer take more than about 48 hours, and most of that was due to my PCC taking their time. The transfer that prompted this thread was completed within a few hours, and with about 30 minutes of my response to the PCC to go ahead and transfer.