Sheraton Memphis Downtown

adstz

This is the host hotel for the first night of our Memphis to New Orleans cruise.

Has anyone got personal knowledge of this hotel? It has pretty crappy reviews.

We are coming in a few days early. I had hoped to just check in and stay until we board the ship.

Now I'm thinking we should find someplace else for a few days then move to the Sheraton for the last night before the cruise.

Thoughts?

My recollection of the hotel was that it was just fine.  I don't recall much though.  We stayed for a couple of nights but never ate in the hotel.  It's right by the trolley line and that was a convenient way to travel to meals and to see the sights.  It's also where the check in and info desks are for the cruise line.  If I were going on the cruise again, I'd stay there. 

5 hours ago, adstz said:

This is the host hotel for the first night of our Memphis to New Orleans cruise.

We are coming in a few days early. I had hoped to just check in and stay until we board the ship.

Now I'm thinking we should find someplace else for a few days then move to the Sheraton for the last night before the cruise.

Thoughts?

It has been about 3 1/2 years since we did the very same cruise, and stayed at that hotel. Things may have changed since we were there, but we found the hotel to be very nice and enjoyed our stay. It was extra clean, quiet, served a delicious breakfast the morning of the cruise, and everyone seemed very helpful.  The only drawback was its distance from the city center, but that really wasn’t much of a problem as the trolley stops right in front of the hotel. I believe it was either free or very, very cheap. 

We loved that cruise. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed at the Sheraton a couple of years ago and found it just fine. Trolley stops just outside the door and will drop you of at Central Barbeque. Rooms were fine and they served a good buffet breakfast. Well organized by American Queen. It may have changed but that was our experience.

On 3/19/2021 at 7:11 AM, nogihs said:

I thought AQSB used the Peabody. 

The included pre cruise hotel is the Sheraton Memphis Downtown. Maybe the Peabody is for those who purchase the extra pre cruise package.  Their "city stay" packages tend to use nicer hotels.

13 minutes ago, adstz said:

The included pre cruise hotel is the Sheraton Memphis Downtown. Maybe the Peabody is for those who purchase the extra pre cruise package.  Their "city stay" packages tend to use nicer hotels.

My paperwork for 2022 is showing the Peabody, we have not added a package but this is a third time lucky booking so maybe AQSC is recognising they have had my full payment since May 2020

Edited by uktog

• 5 months later...
On 2/22/2021 at 4:26 PM, adstz said:

Thoughts?

I fully admit this is just first world whining.

The Sheraton Hotel is just ok. The gathering rooms they used for our pre-cruise photos and testing and whatnot were fine if a bit dingy and dated. Our room was clean and the water in the shower was hot. The beds were fine. We had trouble getting drinks at the bar. It seemed like they had staff shortages which given all that is going on we could excuse that. Breakfast was actually quite decent.

All that said, definitely a step down from the Peabody. Or to be more accurate the Sheraton is just your average downtown business hotel. The Peabody is the kind of place a vacationer who paid top dollar expects.

We went over to the Peabody for lunch on Sunday prior to boarding and really wished we'd been lucky enough to draw a room at the Peabody. The level of quality and service was just far better. I guess if we hadn't seen how beautiful the Peabody was we wouldn't have felt so bad. I thought at the time we just got shuttled to a lesser hotel because of Covid limits on capacity but found out they do this all the time even pre-covid. My advice if you plan to sail out of Memphis find out what hotel you will have first or just don't even look at the Peabody's website. 

• 2 weeks later...

It has been my experience that hotel placement depends on the type of stateroom you are booked in. Passengers booking "Commodore Service" suites are placed in better shoreside hotel rooms.  If you choose to opt out of the provided hotel room a $100.00 per stateroom onboard credit is provided.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 4:26 PM, adstz said:

Thoughts?

I’ve also read some very positive reviews but the bad one made me pause before booking. There was a big difference in price for a regular room at the Peabody and it was about $100.00 more. We are staying one night post cruise on our own amd then flying home the next evening.  I did book the Sheraton but I booked a higher level room and it was still less than the Peabody. Our Sheraton includes the executive lounge, drinks and appetizers. We’ll only be in the room for a short time.  The Sheraton seems a little closer to activities, not to mention the trolley.

5 hours ago, midwestchick said:

I’ve also read some very positive reviews but the bad one made me pause before booking. There was a big difference in price for a regular room at the Peabody and it was about $100.00 more. We are staying one night post cruise on our own amd then flying home the next evening.  I did book the Sheraton but I booked a higher level room and it was still less than the Peabody. Our Sheraton includes the executive lounge, drinks and appetizers. We’ll only be in the room for a short time.  The Sheraton seems a little closer to activities, not to mention the trolley.

I had no issues with the Sheraton. For one or two nights it's just your basic convention hotel.  Having said that I did want to correct one of your points.  The Sheraton is at the very end of the trolley line.  It's close but not necessarily in the center of activities.  In fact, as I recall there wasn't much around there at all.  We took the trolley to see the sights and to eat.  That was a simple exercise and I'd hazard a guess that you'd end up on the trolley no matter where you stayed.

25 minutes ago, ericosmith said:

I had no issues with the Sheraton. For one or two nights it's just your basic convention hotel.  Having said that I did want to correct one of your points.  The Sheraton is at the very end of the trolley line.  It's close but not necessarily in the center of activities.  In fact, as I recall there wasn't much around there at all.  We took the trolley to see the sights and to eat.  That was a simple exercise and I'd hazard a guess that you'd end up on the trolley no matter where you stayed.

Thank you for the correction. I was misinformed and I try to only post factual things. I guess I didn’t realize other hotels were on the trolley line. I believe the river walk is close to the Sheraton   The plan was to take the trolley to get around. We will do our best to see as much as we can in a short time.  We’re not able to stay longer because of Thanksgiving