La Reserve: Onboard Booking Only ?!?!

Shawnino

1 hour ago, Shawnino said:

Apologies if this is old news/please delete if this is a duplicate thread.

A phone rep said an e-mail was sent around about it... I didn't get one.

Disappointing.

I’ve seen nothing about it either. It is disappointing. I like to:

1. choose my nights for La Reserve, then;

2. Choose a night for Privee, then;

3. Book my Specialty reservations.

Not knowing which nights that La Reserve is open might mean the hassle of canceling and rebooking Specialties.

Perhaps what Oceania is actually saying is there won’t be an La Reserve for awhile after cruising resumes.

Or, first off I would question the validity of information given by a customer service person that may or may not get it right. They are notorious for getting things wrong. When I hear it from a reputable source then I'll put stock in it, until then, not so much. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ORV said:

Or, first off I would question the validity of information given by a customer service person that may or may not get it right. They are notorious for getting things wrong. When I hear it from a reputable source then I'll put stock in it, until then, not so much. 

+1,  As I posted elsewhere, the last time I chose to call and talk to an oceania phone rep, they didn’t know what La Reserve was. Talk to your TA.

My TA just send me a slew of Oceania documents regarding my latest booking, including this one for La Reserve – which includes this:

RESERVE YOUR GOURMET WINE-PAIRING DINNER CALL 800-531-5658 or VISIT OCEANIACRUISES.COM/ MYACCOUNT

Here is the complete flyer:

La Reserve.pdf

12 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Here's a follow-up La Reserve question for you Oceania cognoscenti:

I love wine, so I would be tempted to do both La Reserve menus – but DW doesn't drink at all.  Do they have a discount rate for teetotallers?

No

Well, far be it from me to claim that the phone reps know their stuff, but she confirmed it with two other people. Who knows, perhaps maybe they are all wrong.

I hope so.

What prompted the call was that we (allegedly) sail in eight months and I kept checking back on the site to book La Reserve... no button. So I called.

I understand we are in special times, but La Reserve, in the past, had always offered more than eight months' lead time on my cruises. Sometimes, over a year. 

I'll hope you guys are right, and keep checking.

Thanks.

FWIW.....

I still have a June 2021 cruise booked that has not yet been cancelled.  We are 99 days out from "sailing" (ha-ha).

Under My Account, Dining tab.... it lists Specialty, La Reserve,  La Privee.  When I click on either La Reseve or La Privee, it gives a brief description and states I have zero reservations.  It does NOT allow me to book either one, and it always has before let me before now.  For specialty restaurants, it says I may book at day 75, which is normal.  But I've never had to wait to book La Reserve until I can book the specialties.  

(edited to add:  we've done all the menus in La Reserve, and those nights have been stand-outs on our cruises)

Edited by Kate-AHF

6 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

FWIW.....

I still have a June 2021 cruise booked that has not yet been cancelled.  We are 99 days out from "sailing" (ha-ha).

Under My Account, Dining tab.... it lists Specialty, La Reserve,  La Privee.  When I click on either La Reseve or La Privee, it gives a brief description and states I have zero reservations.  It does NOT allow me to book either one, and it always has before let me before now.  For specialty restaurants, it says I may book at day 75, which is normal.  But I've never had to wait to book La Reserve until I can book the specialties.  

Kate, are you past your final payment?

15 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

[...]

[...]

Well described. Seeing exact same.

6 minutes ago, Shawnino said:

Has anyone done "All Dom, All the Time" yet?

That's the one we haven't tried...

Absolutely fabulous! Best one so far by leaps and bounds. Hope they continue it.

One of the requirements that the Dom  Perignon people made was that Oceania had to hire a real certified Sommelier, and not use their name only ones. The one we had was great . He didn’t make the mistakes their regular wine servers playing Sommelier do. Plus, he’s aboard to do wine tastings and other duties. Cleans up their act significantly.

Additionally, the menu and food preparation was developed by the Executive Chef at DP, to pair perfectly with each wine, not by O’s people.

The most expensive of the dinners, but worth every penny.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Here's a follow-up La Reserve question for you Oceania cognoscenti:

I love wine, so I would be tempted to do both La Reserve menus – but DW doesn't drink at all.  Do they have a discount rate for teetotallers?

Having done it multiple times, including the Dom Perignon. Truly I would feel it a waste of money for someone that doesn't drink at all. The value and experience is in the wine pairing and not really the menu, although the food is excellent. Just my neophyte opinion. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Kate, are you past your final payment?

No.  It's a saga.  Final payment is moved to April 3.  That much we know.  I'm trying to cancel this cruise, but our TA says we will get hit with a $500 fee on the deposit.  I don't think that's true based on some of the recent O statements that have been posted to this board, and he hasn't gotten though to O to ask the question.  

Of course, I can always play chicken with the cruise line and wait for them to cancel the sailing, but I'd rather just move on now if I can. (Well Paul, nothing like a 500 word reply when a simple "No" would have sufficed.  Ooops.)

• Like 1

In 2019 (not long after the Dom event was introduced), you could enjoy a 'preview' with by-the-glass choices in a 'wine bar' style event (drop in iirc) at La Reserve a couple of different evenings before the Dom dinner. This was a 21ish day cruise if that matters. We enjoyed both the wine bar event and the full dinner very much. Might be a couple of wine geeks lol

I must be an outlier.  I've had numerous LaReserve dinners and I did do the Champagne dinner.  The food was wonderful- very similar to the Connoisseur dinner that used to be done.  I love Champagne and thought I would be thrilled.  I didn't care for 2 of the Doms but the Dom Rose 2004 was fabulous.  If I did the dinner again, I would probably ask if I could just drink the Rose with every course.

2 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

No.  It's a saga.  Final payment is moved to April 3.  That much we know.  I'm trying to cancel this cruise, but our TA says we will get hit with a $500 fee on the deposit.  I don't think that's true based on some of the recent O statements that have been posted to this board, and he hasn't gotten though to O to ask the question.  

Of course, I can always play chicken with the cruise line and wait for them to cancel the sailing, but I'd rather just move on now if I can. (Well Paul, nothing like a 500 word reply when a simple "No" would have sufficed.  Ooops.)

The reason I asked about final payment is maybe you need to be past it to book Reserve/Privee?

Not sure about this.

Edited by Paulchili

2 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

Sorry for continuing OT. Sorry to read you are still working through bookings and cancellations. I hope your TA at least gave you a reminder heads up before you hit that "admin" penalty date. I suspect many don't think of it as used to Final Payment date-type percentage penalties. 

At least it is not completely lost if you cancel as Queen of DaNile posted it can be held as a credit (as if you want anymore 🙂 ) Good luck

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

For specialty restaurants, it says I may book at day 75, which is normal.  But I've never had to wait to book La Reserve until I can book the specialties.  

Yes, I have always seen the La Reserve offered at different dates than the Specialties. La Reserve bookings I believe managed by Destination Services (they are equipped to take payment and bookings) so that is why not "released: at same time as the other dining venues. That said, La Reserve offerings come out whenever they can schedule various departments , the room, etc. so can be sporadic. 

But if true and is only available onboard that would be lousy for pax trying to select specialties and then move them once on board and for the booking staff changing the specialties around and around again.

I was on a 14 day that when I booked did not know they sold really as a series of 7 days cruises and while I could book all the specialties in advance, only the first week for La Reserve was offered and on board they did not have its dates until week two started. So we did not book as we would have had to change the four specialties and limited choice of course. Was not impressed.

I hope this unable to book in advanced is only temporary as they work out getting cruises going again or it will be a big disappointment and rebooking mess for those who really, really, really want to go to La Reserve  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, babysteps said:

In 2019 (not long after the Dom event was introduced), you could enjoy a 'preview' with by-the-glass choices in a 'wine bar' style event (drop in iirc) at La Reserve a couple of different evenings before the Dom dinner. This was a 21ish day cruise if that matters. We enjoyed both the wine bar event and the full dinner very much. Might be a couple of wine geeks lol

Our last O cruise was late 19 and they had this wine-bar night a couple of times...but it was almost completely unadvertised. The chap who was acting as Sommelier at La Reserve was the Breakfast leader in Waves as his "day job"--he sashayed up to our table one morning to ask why we hadn't been at Wine Bar the night before (held in same room as La Reserve). Well, we simply didn't know about it. Apparently, nobody did, he replied with regret. 

The second night they ran it we were in port overnight, so we didn't dash back for it that evening either. Kind of odd, as this type of thing has "Sea Day" written all over it.  

• Like 2