QE Balcony cabin deck 6, which side is the bed?

Ukulele girl

I am almost daring to book an Alaska 15 night cruise for July 2022 on QE. I am looking at deck 6 balcony cabin 6035. I would like to have the bed on the right hand wall as you look into the room. My husband gets up early and as I sleep on the left he would be nearer the bathroom and door so disturb me less if I was on the balcony side. Is there anyway of knowing which side the bed is on in different cabins? Help would be great. (Then all I have to do is pluck up the courage to actually book!),

Unfortunately, I'm not sure the QE deck plans are always correct when it comes to showing which side the door is on. I've spot-checked photos and videos of several balcony cabins of QE to compare them to the deck plans. In several cases, especially on deck 6, the deck plans appear to be the opposite of what the photos and videos show.

To illustrate, here's a link to a youtube video of QE cabin 6168. The deck plans indicate the door is on the right meaning the bed should be on the left as you look into the room. But the video shows just the opposite (door on the left and bed on the right as you look into the room).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T--CavD71xQ

Or am I just looking at this backwards?

47 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Unfortunately, I'm not sure the QE deck plans are always correct when it comes to showing which side the door is on. I've spot-checked photos and videos of several balcony cabins of QE to compare them to the deck plans. In several cases, especially on deck 6, the deck plans appear to be the opposite of what the photos and videos show.

To illustrate, here's a link to a youtube video of QE cabin 6168. The deck plans indicate the door is on the right meaning the bed should be on the left as you look into the room. But the video shows just the opposite (door on the left and bed on the right as you look into the room).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T--CavD71xQ

Or am I just looking at this backwards?

My experience on the QE - and the QM2 - is the same. Most times the plans are correct, but there are errors. In 2019 we had cabin 4146 on the QE. The deck plan shows the door in the wrong corridor. There is a bend in the corridor at that location. It appears to be the same for other cabins which are in a similar location on other decks.

It's a pity that ships' deck plans don't show the detail they used to. One could see the location of every bed, chair, night-table, sink, toilet etc. Admittedly this was more important when ships had a lot of quirky cabins and there could be various sizes and shapes within the same category. When cabins came to being constructed in factories there was a degree of consistency, so I suspect cruise lines felt there was no need for such detail. Of course, deck plans in brochures tend to be smaller than they used to be although the on-line versions in pdf can be enlarged.

I'm sure others remember the early deck plans for the QE2. They had to be opened up on the dining room table. The detail was incredible. After a while they got "modern" and printed small-scale plans with no details. For our last few crossings we consulted the old plans to see exactly what we were getting.

The more I look at this, the more I get the impression the deck plans are off throughout deck 6 on QE with regard to which side the cabin doors are on. The "cruisedeckplans" website includes photos/videos of five standard-sized deck 6 Britannia balcony cabins (6005, 6128, 6149, 6168 and 6187). All five of those appear to be arranged the opposite of what the deck plans indicate. I'm not seeing the same issue as consistently on other decks.

If you compare identically positioned cabins on decks 4, 5 and 6, I think you'll see the deck plans have almost all the doors on the deck 6 cabins the opposite of the cabins on decks 4 and 5. Of course the cabins on deck 6 could be the opposite of decks 4 and 5, but the admittedly limited photo evidence suggests otherwise.

I wish I felt confident advising @Ukulele girl which side the bed is on in QE cabin 6035. The deck plans indicate it's on the left, but what I'm finding in photos of other QE deck 6 balcony cabins suggests it could be on the right.

Edited by bluemarble

4 hours ago, Ukulele girl said:

I am almost daring to book an Alaska 15 night cruise for July 2022 on QE. I am looking at deck 6 balcony cabin 6035. I would like to have the bed on the right hand wall as you look into the room. My husband gets up early and as I sleep on the left he would be nearer the bathroom and door so disturb me less if I was on the balcony side. Is there anyway of knowing which side the bed is on in different cabins? Help would be great. (Then all I have to do is pluck up the courage to actually book!),

If it is any help, we were in 5067 and the beds were on the left wall as you look at the balcony, with the person sleeping on the left hand side closest to the washroom. That agrees with the floor plan on shipmate.  6035 has the same configuration on the shipmate floor plan, so it most likely would have the same bed configuration if it is correct for that deck. Is there any chance you could just switch sides for that trip if you want to be on the balcony side?

The problem as I see it is that just about everywhere you look for deck plans (including apps and other websites), you'll see the same deck plans provided by Cunard.

What I'm specifically questioning is the accuracy of the door placements shown in the QE deck plans for deck 6. I've found little reason to suspect the accuracy of the door placements shown on other decks in the QE deck plans.

I'm getting a perfect six-for-six score on deck 5 and a perfect four-for-four on deck 4 when comparing Britannia balcony cabin photos to where I'd expect the bed placement to be based on the QE deck plans. We can add @kmerlin14's contribution to make that seven-for-seven on deck 5. But I'm getting a complete washout of zero-for-five comparing photos to the QE deck plans on deck 6.

As I've alluded to in my prior replies, I fear the door placements shown throughout deck 6 of the QE deck plans may be the opposite of what they actually are.

By the way, I'm seeing a similar situation with the deck plans for deck 6 on QV.

I'd love to hear from anyone who can confirm the door/bed placement in any of the standard Britannia balcony cabins on deck 6 of either QE or QV.

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'd love to hear from anyone who can confirm the door/bed placement in any of the standard Britannia balcony cabins on deck 6 of either QE or QV.

This answer is not directly related to the question, but it may be of interest. We had a Princess Grill cabin on the QE  Deck 6 port side and the door placement on the deck-plan was correct.

58 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

This answer is not directly related to the question, but it may be of interest. We had a Princess Grill cabin on the QE  Deck 6 port side and the door placement on the deck-plan was correct.

That answer may be related in the sense that the door placements shown for the Princess Grill cabins appear to be consistent across all of the decks 4 through 8 on the QE deck plans. On the other hand, the door placements shown for the Britannia Balcony cabins on deck 6 are (with only a few exceptions) opposite from the door placements shown in the corresponding cabin locations on decks 4, 5, 7 and 8.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

That answer may be related in the sense that the door placements shown for the Princess Grill cabins appear to be consistent across all of the decks 4 through 8 on the QE deck plans. On the other hand, the door placements shown for the Britannia Balcony cabins on deck 6 are (with only a few exceptions) opposite from the door placements shown in the corresponding cabin locations on decks 4, 5, 7 and 8.

On QE/QV, we've been on decks 1, 5, 6, and 7, but like @david,Mississaugaour deck 6 experience has only been in PG (deck 6 is where the better value P2 cabins begin).  We have not been in Britannia on deck 6.  All the door/bed configurations have matched the deck plans. 

When selecting a cabin, I usually favour a bed configuration that faces forward (i.e., head/pillow aft, feet forward) which for some reason feels more natural to me.  Good to know that deck 6 Britannia plans could be incorrect.

On 2/28/2021 at 1:14 PM, bluemarble said:

The problem as I see it is that just about everywhere you look for deck plans (including apps and other websites), you'll see the same deck plans provided by Cunard.

What I'm specifically questioning is the accuracy of the door placements shown in the QE deck plans for deck 6. I've found little reason to suspect the accuracy of the door placements shown on other decks in the QE deck plans.

I'm getting a perfect six-for-six score on deck 5 and a perfect four-for-four on deck 4 when comparing Britannia balcony cabin photos to where I'd expect the bed placement to be based on the QE deck plans. We can add @kmerlin14's contribution to make that seven-for-seven on deck 5. But I'm getting a complete washout of zero-for-five comparing photos to the QE deck plans on deck 6.

As I've alluded to in my prior replies, I fear the door placements shown throughout deck 6 of the QE deck plans may be the opposite of what they actually are.

By the way, I'm seeing a similar situation with the deck plans for deck 6 on QV.

hi Bluemarble, I have the actual builders blueprint for the ships if you want to let me know the cabin number you want to compare it to I can copy it off for you and post it....

On 2/28/2021 at 7:13 AM, Ukulele girl said:

Hi Ukelelegirl, Ive marked stateroom 6035 here  on the actual Hull plan for QE, not sure if it matches up to the brochure one, but the bed will be facing forward as the bed is always on the Bathroom side in this class of cabin. regards Roscoe

6035 QE cunard.jpg

1 minute ago, roscoe39 said:

Hi Ukelelegirl, Ive marked stateroom 6035 here  on the actual Hull plan for QE, not sure if it matches up to the brochure one, but the bed will be facing forward as the bed is always on the Bathroom side in this class of cabin. regards Roscoe

Thanks, Roscoe. That confirms what I suspected. The Cunard brochure deck plans have the door to stateroom 6035 toward the aft meaning the bathroom would be forward. That's the opposite of what your detailed hull plans show. Thanks for the confirmation.

Do your plans for QV show the same thing for QV stateroom 6035? I think the QV brochure deck plans have the same problem on deck 6 since they also show the door to QV stateroom 6035 on the aft side. I suspect the door to QV stateroom 6035 is also actually on the forward side.

Thank you roscoe39, 6035 should be just perfect and I will be travelling feet first! How clever to have the plans and know all the secrets of the ship. Can I now be brave enough to actually take the plunge? As the news today was so positive about the efficacy of the vaccines July 2022 should be possible. I shall sleep on it I think.

Thank you to everyone for the responses. Can't beat CC for answers.

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Thanks, Roscoe. That confirms what I suspected. The Cunard brochure deck plans have the door to stateroom 6035 toward the aft meaning the bathroom would be forward. That's the opposite of what your detailed hull plans show. Thanks for the confirmation.

Do your plans for QV show the same thing for QV stateroom 6035? I think the QV brochure deck plans have the same problem on deck 6 since they also show the door to QV stateroom 6035 on the aft side. I suspect the door to QV stateroom 6035 is also actually on the forward side.

QE and QV around there seem to have the same issue for 6035, I had not noticed it before because when choosing a stateroom I go directly to the hull plans, but if it is any consolation, on the QV from experience, its not just limited to deck 6 or britannia as  5002 and 8178 are also showing as wrong direction for the door. I guess the lesson is that the deck plans are only indications and not a true reflection of the state of play...

2 hours ago, Ukulele girl said:

Thank you roscoe39, 6035 should be just perfect and I will be travelling feet first! How clever to have the plans and know all the secrets of the ship. Can I now be brave enough to actually take the plunge? As the news today was so positive about the efficacy of the vaccines July 2022 should be possible. I shall sleep on it I think.

Thank you to everyone for the responses. Can't beat CC for answers.

plunge away Gurlfriend!