lobster

AC2

11 hours ago, CintiPam said:

My standard Waves Grill order is double surf, no turf, no bread. So delicious! 🦞

Why not head into Terrace and get the tails there, maybe with some grilled veggies        My fave is Waves burger, grilled onion, Rare, with the wasabi mayo they use on the Tuna or Mahi  san.

For fries... favor curry mayo  as in Belgium/ NL  Speaking of which Curry mayo goes super with Shrimp, Calamari and Mahi

Actually CurryMayo or Bernaise makes pretty much everything taste good.. even corn dogs.....which is an entire other subject

30706021_2011682065816345_5211772496767877120_n.jpg

Edited by Hawaiidan

On 2/28/2021 at 5:54 PM, clo said:

Which I hope to try next time.

My husband actually admitted to getting a little tired of lobster but that didn't last long. I do understand that, since we really can't get good lobster out here that we're not very discriminating but, dang, it was good.

True. We live in Denver so I load up on Lobster when I go to places like Maine. 

• Like 1

Okay, I have time this am..hope you think this was as funny as we do..

Stu and I were on Riviera 2019 on an eastern seaboard trip and were stopping in Maine..we were very friendly with the chef and were having lunch with him and he told us in Maine he was picking up hundreds of crates of lobster and that night he was making lobster in every recipe you can think of..being lobster lovers Stu and I said yes we will be in Terrace Cafe that evening for dinner.. only one problem Frank DelRio was on board and had invited us for dinner that night with a party in La Reserve..we had already accepted but I quickly called the concierge  and said we had a prior commitment I had forgotten..

Lobster night comes and Stu and I are so excited but when going up tp Terrace Cafe we  decided it would be prudent to enter from the other side (not the La Reserve side) so we would not run into Frank and Marcia..

As luck would have it we walked in to Terrace all ready for our feast and Lo and behold the first people we run into are them.. we said hi and FDR asked if we were double dipping before having dinner with them..so quickly we said we  had canceled and would not be joining them..after a few minutes of conversation we walked away with very red faces..The whole trip every time we saw him he teased us with Lobsters company beats his..

It was the best dinner we ever had but needless to say for a long time every time we talked to Frank he mentioned it,,that was until I fell down a flight of stairs in front of him and thats another story..

Hope you renjoyed,

Jancruz1

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Okay, I have time this am..hope you think this was as funny as we do..

Stu and I were on Riviera 2019 on an eastern seaboard trip and were stopping in Maine..we were very friendly with the chef and were having lunch with him and he told us in Maine he was picking up hundreds of crates of lobster and that night he was making lobster in every recipe you can think of..being lobster lovers Stu and I said yes we will be in Terrace Cafe that evening for dinner.. only one problem Frank DelRio was on board and had invited us for dinner that night with a party in La Reserve..we had already accepted but I quickly called the concierge  and said we had a prior commitment I had forgotten..

Lobster night comes and Stu and I are so excited but when going up tp Terrace Cafe we  decided it would be prudent to enter from the other side (not the La Reserve side) so we would not run into Frank and Marcia..

As luck would have it we walked in to Terrace all ready for our feast and Lo and behold the first people we run into are them.. we said hi and FDR asked if we were double dipping before having dinner with them..so quickly we said we  had canceled and would not be joining them..after a few minutes of conversation we walked away with very red faces..The whole trip every time we saw him he teased us with Lobsters company beats his..

It was the best dinner we ever had but needless to say for a long time every time we talked to Frank he mentioned it,,that was until I fell down a flight of stairs in front of him and thats another story..

Hope you renjoyed,

Jancruz1

Took a lot of guts to cancel on FDR. Don't think we could have done that.   Very cute story.

23 minutes ago, RJB said:

Took a lot of guts to cancel on FDR. Don't think we could have done that.   Very cute story.

You saw the irony of it..everyone wants to be with him and we canceled..LOL

Jancruz1

11 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

Did they have other special lobster dishes in The Terrace that night in addition to the usual tails?

7 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Did they have other special lobster dishes in The Terrace that night in addition to the usual tails?

They had lobster cooked  in 20 different ways..it was amazing..never saw anything like it !!

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

43 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

I am sure  being good friends  he understood  LOL

Hope you were not injured badly in the fall?

18 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I am sure  being good friends  he understood  LOL

Hope you were not injured badly in the fall?

I am sure he did.   Sounds like you are doing well now since it was 2 years ago.   Did you get to Halifax and have lobsters there?   Great also.   Stay safe.  

On 2/28/2021 at 7:46 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Of course they do - along with a variety of interesting preparations in the specialty restaurants (and NEVER an extra charge for anything in those restaurants).

My favorite preparation? Aragosta Fra Diavolo in Toscana.

A definite "Brooklynite" Favorite!!!!!!!!!!!🤩

Edited by Loracpin2

On 3/4/2021 at 11:16 AM, Hawaiidan said:

Why not head into Terrace and get the tails there, maybe with some grilled veggies        My fave is Waves burger, grilled onion, Rare, with the wasabi mayo they use on the Tuna or Mahi  san.

For fries... favor curry mayo  as in Belgium/ NL  Speaking of which Curry mayo goes super with Shrimp, Calamari and Mahi

Actually CurryMayo or Bernaise makes pretty much everything taste good.. even corn dogs.....which is an entire other subject

30706021_2011682065816345_5211772496767877120_n.jpg

All I can say, Dan, is "You're killing me Homes!"

For those confused It's from the movie "The Sandlot", a great growing up kid baseball story.

Edited by Aloha 1

On 3/1/2021 at 2:05 PM, njhorseman said:

Our experience with the steamed whole lobster in Polo was horrible. The worst lobsters we've ever had...inedible...steamed to the consistency of mush. We sent them back and ate something else.

BTW...this was on the first segment of an Insignia world cruise, where you would think you'd get the best of everything...and that everything would be as fresh as possible since the ship had just been provisioned in Miami, which wasn't always the case. we had rotten fruit a few days into the cruise for example.

Frankly, the only thing that got me to go back to Oceania after that cruise was an outstanding itinerary, not Oceania's much-touted food.

Hmmm. I've had the Lobster in Polo a few times. It was fine. I'm from NH, so we're pretty good when it comes to Lobsters. There is, however a blight that has started affecting Lobsters up into Maine. The shells have at times been misshapen, but the Lobster still tasted fine. Some are claiming it's due to the water warming. Personally I'm not buying that one. I feel that over fishing is what's causing smaller catches. I get plenty of Lobsters with egg masses attached to their undersides. Its a bright orange color when cooked. Fishermen should always toss those back.

20 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Hmmm. I've had the Lobster in Polo a few times. It was fine. I'm from NH, so we're pretty good when it comes to Lobsters. There is, however a blight that has started affecting Lobsters up into Maine. The shells have at times been misshapen, but the Lobster still tasted fine. Some are claiming it's due to the water warming. Personally I'm not buying that one. I feel that over fishing is what's causing smaller catches. I get plenty of Lobsters with egg masses attached to their undersides. Its a bright orange color when cooked. Fishermen should always toss those back.

My wife and I were born and raised in NY City, lived on Long Island for a few years, have been living in NJ for decades and have spent  a lot of vacation time in New England and Atlantic Canada...including honeymooning in Bar Harbor Maine, so believe me, we've eaten enough lobster to know a bad preparation when we taste it. Even worse than the lobsters being grossly overcooked was the attitude of the restaurant staff when we sent them back. But maybe our opinions didn't count because we were mere segment passengers on the world cruise.

33 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

My wife and I were born and raised in NY City, lived on Long Island for a few years, have been living in NJ for decades and have spent  a lot of vacation time in New England and Atlantic Canada...including honeymooning in Bar Harbor Maine, so believe me, we've eaten enough lobster to know a bad preparation when we taste it. Even worse than the lobsters being grossly overcooked was the attitude of the restaurant staff when we sent them back. But maybe our opinions didn't count because we were mere segment passengers on the world cruise.

I prefer my steaks medium rare, medium rare rare actually. To be polite I can/ will eat one medium well to well. What I will not eat is an overcooked lobster, or shrimp, that has been cooked to a rubbery state where a steak knife has trouble cutting through it. Unfortunately, far too many of the lobsters served me aboard ship has arrived in that fashion. I rarely order it anymore. Waves and the Terrace commonly grossly ( to me) over cook their lobsters.

The lobster thermidor ( sp) in Jacques is normally the most consistently good, however I’m rarely up for the heavy sauce that comes with it.

Edited by pinotlover

2 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I prefer my steaks medium rare, medium rare rare actually. To be polite I can/ will eat one medium well to well. What I will not eat is an overcooked lobster, or shrimp, that has been cooked to a rubbery state where a steak knife has trouble cutting through it. Unfortunately, far too many of the lobsters served me aboard ship has arrived in that fashion. I rarely order it anymore.

The lobster thermidor ( sp) in Jacques is normally the most consistently good, however I’m rarely up for the heavy sauce that comes with it.

We found the Terrace tended to overcook their Lobsters. Never had the Thermidor in Jacques. The Sea Bass in Puff Pastry was to die for! We were amused the first time in Jacques. We had to share a table(normally we do a 2 top)We both ordered the Foi Gras. When it came, everyone else had no idea what it was(I was amazed!)I cut a small piece for the person next to me. Within 2 minutes the other 4 pax  ordered it as well. Decadent without a doubt. For the "PETA" lovers out there, you eat what you like, but please don't tell me what I can or cannot eat, Thank You!

• Like 2

Note for those mentioning overcooked lobster tail in Terrace and at Waves:  I experienced the same thing ONCE.  Since then, I tell the cooks when to take mine off the grill; they've not been overdone since!  (Just a hint to pass along!)