No Umbrella Drinks

SuzyQ214

I was reading an advertisement for Viking in Conde Naste Traveler magazine.  It bullet points all the things "Viking is Not."  Most of the items are things you would expect to be an advantageous differentiator, such as No Smoking, No Children Under 18, No Nickle & Diming, etc.  However, one of the points made me laugh -- No Umbrella Drinks.  Do people really have a large aversion to having an umbrella in their drink?  Would anyone really factor that in when deciding which cruise line to book?  

No umbrella drinks?  Well sign me up!  😁

It will be interesting to read other opinions.

In our experience, Viking have most of the traditional tropical drinks normally associated with "umbrellas" - Pina Colada, Mai Tai, Daiquiri, etc. However, what they don't have is what I refer to as the "Culture" of a traditional Tiki Bar.

Edited by Heidi13

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

In our experience, Viking have most of the traditional tropical drinks normally associated with "umbrellas" - Pina Colada, Mai Tai, Daiquiri, etc. However, what they don't have is what I refer to as the "Culture" of a traditional Tiki Bar.

They even have one I had never heard of before: the Rock Lobster. A younger couple on our first cruise had at least one everyday sitting by the infinity pool. It was very tasty and while no umbrella it sure tasted like an “umbrella drink”. 

i started ordering them on the rare occasion I try to grab some sun by the pool. 

• Like 1

Same here Clay, have lounged in the Infinity Pool a few times, sipping a Pina Colada. Also had one on a number of evenings when the final 8 of us met in the Living Room Bar for pre-dinner drinks.

2 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Same here Clay, have lounged in the Infinity Pool a few times, sipping a Pina Colada. Also had one on a number of evenings when the final 8 of us met in the Living Room Bar for pre-dinner drinks.

But wait. A Pina Colada BEFORE dinner?  That would ruin my appetite-it would be like having dessert first (which is entirely acceptable but not sure about a sweet drink 😂)

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

If you've ever had a real Mai Tai you know that Viking has no idea what a Mai Tai is. And ---- how do they square "no nickel & diming" with "prepaid gratuities?"

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

But wait. A Pina Colada BEFORE dinner?  That would ruin my appetite-it would be like having dessert first (which is entirely acceptable but not sure about a sweet drink 😂)

We were a fairly sociable group, starting pre-dinner drinks about 16:30 and not eating until about 19:00, so lots of time.😁

• Like 2

I surely loved some of their "umbrella" drinks sans umbrella.  All the fruit garnish, all the good fruity flavor and no pesky umbrella to discard.  Or save in your album if that is your thing.  I was amazed that they made Mojitos, lots of Mojitos, the hard way.  Most ships have some form of pre mix and throw a sprig of mint in.  At every bar, the whole muddling, mixing procedure.   They were great but mostly  I ordered something else to save them work.  Martinis are so much quicker.....  I meant easier.......🍸

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

No umbrellas in the drinks -- and none of the steel drums that seem to go along with the theme.

See the thread

This conversation came before the "Viking is not"  was added to their brochures etc. 

Or the conga lines...

5 minutes ago, eylarson said:

On WC 19 they did have pina coladas served in pineapples.  Sorry no umbrellas

I remember that.  They had hugely over-ordered pineapples and used them in any way they could think of!  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

If you've ever had a real Mai Tai you know that Viking has no idea what a Mai Tai is. And ---- how do they square "no nickel & diming" with "prepaid gratuities?"

Had lots of different Mai Tais in various places throughout the World, and lots were different, so no worries here. If I like it, I order more, if not, time to try something else.

Gratuities - have spent 100 days with Viking and the experience was fully inclusive, so I guess it is based on the cruise you choose. If gratuities are an issue, suggest booking cruises where they are included. We do.

25 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

We were a fairly sociable group, starting pre-dinner drinks about 16:30 and not eating until about 19:00, so lots of time.😁

So actually it was dessert from lunch.  That’s more than acceptable!🍹

• Like 2

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

how do they square "no nickel & diming" with "prepaid gratuities?"

I think that the “no nickel & dime-ing” refers to the lack of additional charges for dining in the alternative restaurants, one included excursion in each port, and free-flowing wine and beer at meals. It is pretty clear that additional alcohol and the daily service charges are additional.  For us, it becomes included via the OBC our travel agent provides...someday I hope to be able to go on one of the WCs where they (and so much more) are included in the original price. Additionally, I also hope we can swing a fully inclusive cruise someday-Regent, Seaborne, etc.  but until then Viking works for us. 

• Like 1

Those umbrella drinks are available, just no umbrella.  We tried our hardest to get through the entire bar menu in the Explorers' Lounge but with the last cruise ending abruptly in Dubai, we weren't successful.  Oh well, next time.  And if you don't care for the standard way they make certain cocktails, they will customize it with a smile and remember the next time you imbibe.  Cheers!

• Like 1