Encore Haven Courtyard Suite v. 2 Bed Villa?

bzv143

Looking at booking on Encore in the Haven for 2/2022. Just 2 of us. Cannot decide between the 2 Bed Villa on Deck 18 or the Courtyard Penthouse with Large Balcony on Deck 17, both within the Haven. One seems too large and the other too small for just us two oldsters. Advice?

• Like 1

The Courtyard Penthouse on 17. Smaller stateroom (1 bathroom) but larger balcony.

The 2BR for just 2 people is just extra space (2 bathrooms). Plus, deck 18 might have early morning noise from the sundeck above.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

The courtyard penthouse is a bit small. We booked a 2BR for the two of us on an upcoming cruise on the Joy (because  the PH is small). Our second favorite room is a forward facing Haven, outside the Haven complex, which is a bit of a hike to get to the Haven. 

We like the aft penthouse 1bdrm 2 bath haven suite best. The wake is always beautiful to watch. Very large balcony. Have also had a haven 2bdrm was nice but small balcony. Have booked our 3rd Aft penthouse on the Getaway TA in April 2022 deck 9. Looking forward to this cruise.

• Like 3

We did a 2BR on the Epic with only 2 people and it was great. Luggage stayed out of way in the 2nd bedroom along with the laundry, and having that 2nd bathroom was a godsend on an 11 day cruise. I don't know why men camp out on the potty for 20+ mins at a time, but having that 2nd bathroom dedicated to his camping out time was lovely and worth every penny.

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

We were in a 2 bedroom on deck 17. We really thought the easier access to the Horizon lounge, 2 bathrooms  and larger deck were great.

I was in Peachypooh's suite after she left. I can add that it is spectacular.  Its only steps away to the Horizon lounge through your own private door outside.  We loved the large balcony and being so close to the Horizon lounge.  But any suite on Encore has advantages being close to something like the Haven restaurant, bar, or pool too.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 3:00 PM, BirdTravels said:

The courtyard penthouse is a bit small. We booked a 2BR for the two of us on an upcoming cruise on the Joy (because  the PH is small). Our second favorite room is a forward facing Haven, outside the Haven complex, which is a bit of a hike to get to the Haven. 

How small is it?  

Larger than a regular balcony?  If you are familiar with MSC Yacht Club, are they larger/smaller than their YC1 suites?

14 minutes ago, mafig said:

How small is it?  Larger than a regular balcony?  If you are familiar with MSC Yacht Club, are they larger/smaller than their YC1 suites?

Please watch the video in Post #2. The 2BR, Forward, and Aft Haven have a separate living room. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2021 at 8:57 AM, bzv143 said:

Looking at booking on Encore in the Haven for 2/2022. Just 2 of us. Cannot decide between the 2 Bed Villa on Deck 18 or the Courtyard Penthouse with Large Balcony on Deck 17, both within the Haven. One seems too large and the other too small for just us two oldsters. Advice?

I think you are very wise considering staying in the Haven Courtyard Area.  Please remember that the Bliss, Joy and Encore basically have the same layout for the two suites you are considering.  I have stayed in both of the plus the Haven Spa Suite prior.  Here are my thoughts.  If you do the two bedroom family villa do it on deck 17.  The balcony is bigger there.  The two family villas normally have a very small balcony.   By booking a 2-Bedroom Family Villa, you have a dedicated second bedroom which can also be used as a Media room.  It also opens up the idea of inviting some friends to join.  Just a thought. 

The Penthouse is very nice and if cost is an issue, I would go with it.  Now comes the complicated part.  I have stay within the Haven Complex and also outside.  If it were me, I would get one of the Penthouses with the large deck which is usually in the rear of the ship.  The decks are the size of some rooms.  The downside it you have to walk the length of the ship to get to the Haven Courtyard.  

I hope I was helpful in some way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I think you are very wise considering staying in the Haven Courtyard Area.  Please remember that the Bliss, Joy and Encore basically have the same layout for the two suites you are considering.  I have stayed in both of the plus the Haven Spa Suite prior.  Here are my thoughts.  If you do the two bedroom family villa do it on deck 17.  The balcony is bigger there.  The two family villas normally have a very small balcony.   By booking a 2-Bedroom Family Villa, you have a dedicated second bedroom which can also be used as a Media room.  It also opens up the idea of inviting some friends to join.  Just a thought. 

The Penthouse is very nice and if cost is an issue, I would go with it.  Now comes the complicated part.  I have stay within the Haven Complex and also outside.  If it were me, I would get one of the Penthouses with the large deck which is usually in the rear of the ship.  The decks are the size of some rooms.  The downside it you have to walk the length of the ship to get to the Haven Courtyard.  

I hope I was helpful in some way. 

walking the entire deck of the ship should in no way be a deterrent to booking an aft penthouse. one of the fun things (in my humble estimation) is wandering around the ship. if cabin size is important, then the distance to the haven courtyard should be irrelevant.

i booked the aft penthouse with master suite on the  getaway for oct 2022. apparently its a huge cabin, and we just love the getaway

note: the opinions expressed herein are strictly my own!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, complawyer said:

walking the entire deck of the ship should in no way be a deterrent to booking an aft penthouse. one of the fun things (in my humble estimation) is wandering around the ship. if cabin size is important, then the distance to the haven courtyard should be irrelevant.

i booked the aft penthouse with master suite on the  getaway for oct 2022. apparently its a huge cabin, and we just love the getaway

note: the opinions expressed herein are strictly my own!!!

I love the Getaway also.  The aft Penthouse is lovely.  I agree with you.  My comments was giving an answer to another question.  On another note, the Getaway Dance show was one of the best I have ever seen.  My wife and I were on our feet at the end.  That for us on a cruise ship was something very different.  Enjoy.

If we're on a ship with a true Haven, (separate bar, separate lounge, separate restaurant, etc) I want to actually be in the Haven. We spent so much time in the lounge and bar on the Epic, if we had to do a 10+ min walk back to the cabin after hours of drinking in the lounge, I don't think we would have done it as often as we did. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/5/2021 at 6:11 PM, david_sobe said:

I was in Peachypooh's suite after she left. I can add that it is spectacular.  Its only steps away to the Horizon lounge through your own private door outside.  We loved the large balcony and being so close to the Horizon lounge.  But any suite on Encore has advantages being close to something like the Haven restaurant, bar, or pool too.

Hi - which cabin number did you have?  We are currently booked in 17104 and I'm concerned about the size of the balcony.  Thank you!!!

On 3/7/2021 at 6:43 PM, Sailing12Away said:

If we're on a ship with a true Haven, (separate bar, separate lounge, separate restaurant, etc) I want to actually be in the Haven. We spent so much time in the lounge and bar on the Epic, if we had to do a 10+ min walk back to the cabin after hours of drinking in the lounge, I don't think we would have done it as often as we did. 

Same. While I absolutely love the aft penthouses, we find that we inevitably spend less time in the beautiful retreat of the Haven facilities. It’s just how it works out. The ability to walk out your door and have a great breakfast, stroll to the forward facing vistas in the lounge, crash in the courtyard or just have a quick drink, it’s all right there feet away. Need to grab that bookmark or something you forgot in the room while on the sundeck? A round trip to the aft penthouse and back is considerable, vs running in and grabbing your item, etc. It has been a super hard decision for us to go Aft or Haven Courtyard for Alaska this year. After tossing it back and forth we made the choice to be in the Haven and use the forward sundeck or Horizon lounge for those grand vistas through the Inner Passage and be steps from everything. 

The bathroom though with a 2bdrm, is to me worth the upcharge of the 2bdrm. It’s potentially the most beautiful bathroom at sea. 

Either way you’re blessed to be in any one of them and can’t go wrong.  

It's funny that I said that back in March of last year, yet just a few months later in August I was in an aft Haven room for the Alaska sailing. I should have listened to myself... we would have preferred to be in the courtyard area as I said we would. Having the second bathroom though in that aft room was a bonus, no fighting for first tinkle in the morning.

We're trying out the HH rooms on the Joy this coming September, so maybe that will be the happy compromise for us. Cheaper than being in the courtyard, but not so far that I opt to not venture to the courtyard itself.

• Like 1

As a couple we have stayed in a 2 BR and never found it 'TOO BIG". The Courtyard Penthouse is small.  Tried it once and other than the Haven perks it was really just a balcony cabin with about 15-20% extra space.  We like the aft Haven suites for a couple of reasons.  First, the views from the aft are amazing.  Hence we have one booked on the Joy for our next Panama cruise.  Secondly if you are travelling with non Haven guests or make some new friends onboard the balcony is fantastic for entertaining without having to bring others into the Haven proper where they are not welcome other than your stateroom.  The walk to the Haven proper is at best 5 min when it's busy.

• Like 2