Premier Drink Ordering

W283386

I have always had the standard drink package in the past.  On my next cruise I have the Premium package.  When ordering a drink will the bartenders upgrade the quality of the liquor or do you have to ask for a certain brand?  Also, not being a big drinker, what would be the best rum or vodka for mixed or tropical drinks?   

A true "connoisseur" would never get a top shelf liquor and mix it....the good stuff you sip straight. 🤪

I think the Premium package should be used to get the more expensive drinks, those with a higher alcohol content or those that come with a top shelf liquor (like Petron). It also affords you the opportunity to try some of the more expensive wines.

We've always upgraded and have never been disappointed! Enjoy!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, W283386 said:

I have always had the standard drink package in the past.  On my next cruise I have the Premium package.  When ordering a drink will the bartenders upgrade the quality of the liquor or do you have to ask for a certain brand?  Also, not being a big drinker, what would be the best rum or vodka for mixed or tropical drinks?   

Your Seapass card will have the code for the PBP on it. The servers and bartenders will know what brands to select from to make your drink or wine selections. 

Edited by davekathy

The bartenders will not automatically use a better liquor. You will need to ask. 

Example, ask for Grey Goose or Tito's when you order a vodka drink.

• Like 3

Who knows which brands will be on which package when cruising restarts.  But previously Tito’s was on the Classic package.  For vodka I prefer Christiana or Grey Goose.   For Rum drinks Barcardi 8 is a good choice.  I don’t drink whiskey so no recommendations.

Ozzmund is correct quite often if you don’t specify the brand of liquor then the bartenders use whatever is handy.  The Martini and  World Class bars are probably the exception as they primarily premium package brands.

48 minutes ago, Ozzmund said:

The bartenders will not automatically use a better liquor. You will need to ask. 

Or at the start of the cruise, go to the bar(s) you think you will use regularly, hand them a $20, you will be well taken care of

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just to be clear with the liquid pharmacists, call your drink with your preferred booze.

I have never felt the need to prepay a tip for better service. I often tip after receiving a drink ($1-$5), it is meant as a thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Just to be clear with the liquid pharmacists, call your drink with your preferred booze.

I have never felt the need to prepay a tip for better service. I often tip after receiving a drink ($1-$5), it is meant as a thank you.

whatever works for each of us, no right and no wrong, unless one is cheap and does not tip at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

whatever works for each of us, no right and no wrong, unless one is cheap and does not tip at all.

Truer words could not have been spoken. I wish you only wonderful travel memories.

6 hours ago, W283386 said:

If you do not specify which particular liquor you wish, they will make the drink with whatever is handy.  I personally cannot tell the difference in. a mixed drink.  The main advantage of the Premium Package for me is ordering more expensive beers and wines.   You will also have more choices and won't incur the up charge. The Premium Package will get you branded waters i.e. Evian.

There is no need to tip in advance as I have found service to be outstanding.  You can always show your appreciation at the end of the cruise if you choose to do so.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ozzmund said:

Or Russian Standard. :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LGW59 said:

There are people from around the world for whom tipping may be considered rude and offensive. A good example of this would be in Japan. If you were to offer a tip there you would be considered flash and perhaps big headed, as though flaunting your wealth. It is likely your tip would be returned and the server offended by you.

It is quite simply not correct to suggest people that do not offer tips, as might be customary for you, as “ cheap”.

In my own local pub here in England, if I were to offer up a £5 tip each time I was served a pint, I think I would be considered stupid.

Edited by Manchester is blue
More content
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Manchester is blue said:

There are people from around the world for whom tipping may be considered rude and offensive. A good example of this would be in Japan. If you were to offer a tip there you would be considered flash and perhaps big headed, as though flaunting your wealth. It is likely your tip would be returned and the server offended by you.

It is quite simply not correct to suggest people that do not offer tips, as might be customary for you, as “ cheap”.

In my own local pub here in England, if I were to offer up a £5 tip each time I was served a pint, I think I would be considered stupid.

Please this about alcohol not tipping 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Or at the start of the cruise, go to the bar(s) you think you will use regularly, hand them a $20, you will be well taken care of

Works every time!, Especially if you enjoy a certain beer / wine that may or may not be on the premium package. Not all bars carry the same drinks, so sometimes a little encouragement for them to make your favorite available is a nice touch. I do the same in Blu, and the sommellier always has a bottle of my favorite wine handy, and rarely lets the glass go empty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, highway180 said:

Works every time!, Especially if you enjoy a certain beer / wine that may or may not be on the premium package. Not all bars carry the same drinks, so sometimes a little encouragement for them to make your favorite available is a nice touch. I do the same in Blu, and the sommellier always has a bottle of my favorite wine handy, and rarely lets the glass go empty.

Agree!

I’m a bourbon drinker, and with a tip up front I get the best bourbon on the ship, the bottle tucked away at the bottom of my preferred bar, regardless of what drink package I have.

And yes, there is no “need” to tip up front...🥃

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Grandma7 said:

If you have  the basic  package and then order a more expensive drink, do you pay the difference  or or have to pay the full price?

You only have to pay the difference between the two.

just an FYI, there is an automatic 20% gratuity added to your drink package, 

3 hours ago, Manchester is blue said:

We aren’t talking about traveling to Japan....

• Like 1

Just now, PTC DAWG said:

Your head will tell you a different story the next morning, NEVER drink cheap booze.  🙂

Or never drink umbrella drinks.  I made a mistake once and ordered a Vodka Martini.  They must have used rubbing alcohol. I took one sip and sent it back and ordered Grey Goose. I had the premium plan.  

• Like 1