Guaranteed cabin

sarellen8385

guaranteed cabin means you’re guaranteed a cabin in the category you purchased or higher and can be anywhere on the ship.  You have no control over what cabin will be assigned to you, could be any deck and could be forward, mid or aft. 

• Like 1

csaeroach is correct. So, if you can find another acceptable cabin, you may

want to book that. Otherwise, you really do not know where you will be placed.

Also, availability can change with time as do the prices and promotions. You can

check in once in a while and make changes through your TA or Princess.

(as long as it is before final payment).

A few years ago we booked a BD balcony guarantee, then waited.  In time we were assigned a BB balcony, Caribe deck, mid-ship.  We were happy.

The guarantee booking works as others have described it.

Remember that, between upgrades and cancellations, many cabins open up some time after being booked. So if you've decided you definitely don't want Cabin X for whatever reason, and it's not showing as available, you can't assume you're safe from getting it if you opt for a guarantee.

"Guaranteed cabin" means the opposite of what someone new to cruising would expect. Granted, you're guaranteed the category you paid for or better... but "better" by the cruise line's definition. The way to assure yourself of a specific cabin is _not_ to book a GTY.

I had not heard the term "guaranteed cabin"; I've always used the term "guaranteed category".   To me, a "guaranteed cabin" is when I specify a specific cabin in my booking.  

I have used "guaranteed category" only when no specific cabin that I want is available when I book.    Princess guarantees to put me in my category (in my case, mini-suite) or better.  It has always worked for me, but I still prefer to select my own specific cabin when I book.

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

I had not heard the term "guaranteed cabin"; I've always used the term "guaranteed category".   To me, a "guaranteed cabin" is when I specify a specific cabin in my booking.  

I have used "guaranteed category" only when no specific cabin that I want is available when I book.    Princess guarantees to put me in my category (in my case, mini-suite) or better.  It has always worked for me, but I still prefer to select my own specific cabin when I book.

the OP didn't book thru Princess, but thru a TA that has a block of cabins

big difference, huh ?

Nini has the right idea. If you definitely want to be on that cruise you can book a cabin that would be acceptable if your preferred cabin is not available, assuming the cruise line is still accepting cabin selection (sometimes once they get close to capacity they switch to a guarantee only and they no longer allow you to choose your cabin). It is best if the cabin you book is in the same category as the one you prefer. Once you have booked, check the website frequently to see if any cabins in your desired location have become available, especially as you get close to final payment time as this is when many people decide to cancel. If you locate an available cabin call the cruise line or your TA if you've used one and request a cabin change. I have done this in the past and had no problem getting the cabin changed to another in the same category. You may not be able to get your first choice of cabin location, but at least you'll be on that cruise--assuming, of course, that the cruise isn't canceled.

Edited by 40yearcruiser

10 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I have used "guaranteed category" only when no specific cabin that I want is available when I book.    Princess guarantees to put me in my category (in my case, mini-suite) or better.

For those unfamiliar with this, when you do a GTY it is for a specific level within a type of cabin.

For example. one does not make a GTY for a mini-suite, but for a booking level within the mini-suite type of cabin. It could be for a ME, MD, or MB mini-suite. So if you book a GTY for a MD mini-suite you are saying you do not want a ME mini-suite to be assigned to you. You might get what you booked, an MD, or the higher level MB or a level within the full suite type of cabins.