GAY PEOPLE ON BOARD

nashkan

1 hour ago, whogo said:

My state was the first (I think) to legalize gay marriage in the US. It was a boom time for caterers and liberal clergy.

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

If your state is Massachusetts then you are correct.

Yes, the 2003 decision by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court in Goodridge was a gamechanger.  Unfortunately,  thanks to a Massachusetts state law dating back to the early 20th Century that prohibited non-residents of the state from getting married in Massachusetts if their marriage would be "void" in their home state, AND then-Gov. Mitt Romney's announcement that he intended to enforce that law,  gay and lesbian Americans who lived in other states could not marry their same-sex partners in Massachusetts.   

(The law was repealed in 2008, btw.)  

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Yes, the 2003 decision by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court in Goodridge was a gamechanger.  Unfortunately,  thanks to a Massachusetts state law dating back to the early 20th Century that prohibited non-residents of the state from getting married in Massachusetts if their marriage would be "void" in their home state, AND then-Gov. Mitt Romney's announcement that he intended to enforce that law,  gay and lesbian Americans who lived in other states could not marry their same-sex partners in Massachusetts.   

(The law was repealed in 2008, btw.)  

I remember Romney’s tricks all too well.  We got married that July in case his efforts succeeded.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, iancal said:

In Canada it is actually a violation of our Charter of Rights and Freedoms for any Province deny the right of marriage (or discriminate) to anyone....including same sex couples.

That Charter has been in existence since 1982 and within six months of it's enactment became the most copied constitutional document in the world for those countries searching for a new constitutional framework.  A fact that few Canadians realize. 

This is probably why the whole issue is more of a shrug and a 'so what' to most people.  

Yes, and we just shake our heads in disbelief when we see how disrespectfully, and sometimes how violently, people of the LGBTQ community are treated in other countries.  I’m always so proud when I’m reminded of how open and welcoming Canadians are to other people regardless of colour, race, religion, sexual preference or gender identity.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Yes, and we just shake our heads in disbelief when we see how disrespectfully, and sometimes how violently, people of the LGBTQ community are treated in other countries.  I’m always so proud when I’m reminded of how open and welcoming Canadians are to other people regardless of colour, race, religion, sexual preference or gender identity.

We have our fair share of haters in Canada.   Doesn't everyone??  It is often disguised but it is there below the surface.

When working, I had a major issue with a manger who reported to me.  He was clearly discriminating against a member of his team simply because he was gay.  The odd part, this manager was a member of a minority group and he had experienced racial hate and discrimination.  It ended because it was not acceptable to our employer, not acceptable to me as his director.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 6

On 3/28/2021 at 7:09 PM, Lady Arwen said:

Yes, you and many others, including Elton John and his husband David Furnish.  They bought a home just outside of Toronto at the same time.  If you ask a Canadian what they think about same sex marriage the will say. “Well, since it’s not hockey, we don’t care what team you play on “!  Glad we were part of your special day!  Love who you love!

And it's really great actually, that they prefer to talk and think about sports