GAY PEOPLE ON BOARD

nashkan

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

No real idea if the two gentlemen at my table on Nieuw Statendam were gay.  I think they were.  So what?  They were two delightful gentlemen who were beginning to explore the world of cruising.  

If not gay, they were obviously good friends.  I have cruised with another male who was a good friend.  Now, I wonder, did someone(s) on those three cruises think that Richard and I were gay?  

It doesn't matter. I Just hope you had a good time.

• Like 3

This is an interesting thread. As a younger cruiser (Gen Xer), I can safely say I had never really even thought about this. People vacationing, living their lives, loving each other, and enjoying this precious time we have here together. Never think twice about making those good memories. Life's way too short!

• Like 6

@fatcat04 I don’t know if it is generational or not.   There have always been bullies and if it isn’t gay people they will find another target.   Then there are those who just can’t mind their own business.   Fortunately I have rarely encountered bullies on a HAL cruise 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, DFD1 said:

It doesn't matter. I Just hope you had a good time.

Richard and I both did and I am certain that neither of us thought it "odd" that we were cruising together and sharing a stateroom.  

We both had reasons for why we chose those three cruises.  Our interests intersected for those three cruises.  I cruised on others as well as he did for our own reasons that we did not share.  A relationship other than the fact that we were long time friends and were professionals in the same profession:  those were the interests that we shared.  

33 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

@fatcat04 I don’t know if it is generational or not.   There have always been bullies and if it isn’t gay people they will find another target.   Then there are those who just can’t mind their own business.   Fortunately I have rarely encountered bullies on a HAL cruise 

That is true. Bullies, busy bodies, and unhappy people, sometimes all in the one same package.

We have had very few bad experiences on HAL, ours were due solely to having our children with us. Just a few grumps here and there. We didn't let them throw shade on our good times. Most of the folks we have met on HAL have been delightful people. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

These gay cruises are often not put on by the cruise line themselves but companies like RSVP where they charter a cruise ship.  Sadly these are not traditional style cruises and more floating white parties or circuit parties.  I am in my 50's and I am not interested in those.  When I was of that age I wasn't interested in those, seeing how many humans can fit in a square foot...no thank you. 🙂

I did one RSVP cruise many years ago when I was in my early thirties.  It was a one and done - just not for me.  As an openly gay man I much prefer the more traditional cruise experience and entertainment than all the theme parties, focus on late night events, etc.  I travel for the culture, history, nature, etc of the places I visit and want to meet and interact with a broad range of fellow travelers from all walks of life, ages, races, genders, religions, political beliefs, etc

• Like 19

41 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I travel for the culture, history, nature, etc of the places I visit and want to meet and interact with a broad range of fellow travelers from all walks of life, ages, races, genders, religions, political beliefs, etc

That's why I travel. Probably why most of us here do too.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I did one RSVP cruise many years ago when I was in my early thirties.  It was a one and done - just not for me.  As an openly gay man I much prefer the more traditional cruise experience and entertainment than all the theme parties, focus on late night events, etc.  I travel for the culture, history, nature, etc of the places I visit and want to meet and interact with a broad range of fellow travelers from all walks of life, ages, races, genders, religions, political beliefs, etc

Good to remind all of us we are more the same than different.

• Like 3

Our experience is that the vast majority of cruisers are the MYOB types who are completely disinterested in transposing their beliefs or lifestyles onto others.  Let alone judging.

There will always be very small minority of 'haters' no matter what the issue.   Just ignore them, they are not worthy of consideration.

• Like 1

In Canada, same sex marriage and LGBTQ people have been embraced for so many years now, I can’t even remember when it was not the case.  We honestly don’t discriminate against anyone.  We’re a very diverse country and that’s why we love to live here.  We do roll our eyes at folks who say they prefer Starbucks to Tim’s.....it’s a Canadian thing.  My husband and I are of “the older generation”  and we think everyone is entitled to live their life to the fullest, even on a cruiseship.  Love who you love!

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

In Canada, same sex marriage and LGBTQ people have been embraced for so many years now, I can’t even remember when it was not the case.  We honestly don’t discriminate against anyone.  We’re a very diverse country and that’s why we love to live here.  We do roll our eyes at folks who say they prefer Starbucks to Tim’s.....it’s a Canadian thing.  My husband and I are of “the older generation”  and we think everyone is entitled to live their life to the fullest, even on a cruiseship.  Love who you love!

I had to go to Toronto for work several years ago.  From the hotel it was easy to get to Church street.  I had a great time walking through the neighborhood, shopping and having some great food.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 7:54 PM, Mary229 said:

I also have encountered bullies. While on board an Alaskan cruise a few years back, an entire group of bullies was so threatening and obnoxious that the Sea View Bar closed up at 6:00pm one day. I did see in the news shortly after that this same group had been kicked off another ship! I supposed closing the bar was HAL's best solution to that problem, but I didn't like it. 

On 3/18/2021 at 11:51 AM, T8NCruise said:

Oh dear, I really wish I could say the same.  We have encountered some very obnoxious people onboard HAL ships, and some that have been extremely rude to crew members.  They cruise all lines. 

We have seen this too, but rarely. Sort of surprising considering people are on vacation and have access to alcohol. My brother and his husband used to do the gay only cruises where Holland rents out the ship, but now feel much more comfortable on Holland's regular cruises. Although the husband does wish Holland would include more line dancing.  

I am very Happy that a couple of my posts were DELETED (thank you...Cruise Critics)  I just want to say I and my husband are close to 70 years old now .....  We certainly do not make a spectacle of ourselves ....GROSS ...70 year olds ONLY DO IT IN THE VERY VERY PRIVATE....  We are well aware of "Friends of Dorothy"  we have been on 13 cruises....sadly the last one was 2005 ... we did 5 Cruises with a Gay GRoup ....and it was wonderful BACK THEN .... High energy and great DJ and entertainment .....was saddened  by a condescending post ...  oh well ....  but am so delighted in what people have said over all....  so if the music is right ...two old men may get up and dance.......

• Like 4

3 hours ago, nashkan said:

I am very Happy that a couple of my posts were DELETED (thank you...Cruise Critics)  I just want to say I and my husband are close to 70 years old now .....  We certainly do not make a spectacle of ourselves ....GROSS ...70 year olds ONLY DO IT IN THE VERY VERY PRIVATE....  We are well aware of "Friends of Dorothy"  we have been on 13 cruises....sadly the last one was 2005 ... we did 5 Cruises with a Gay GRoup ....and it was wonderful BACK THEN .... High energy and great DJ and entertainment .....was saddened  by a condescending post ...  oh well ....  but am so delighted in what people have said over all....  so if the music is right ...two old men may get up and dance.......

I sincerely hope you do.  Happy cruising to you and your husband.

• Like 2

I’ve never noticed anybody having issues with same-sex dancing or displays of affection onboard the various ships. 

But - I recall some warnings regarding some ports and same-sex handholding, kissing, etc... So - that might be something to keep in mind, when you’re off the ship in a country that might not be so “open-minded”!

On 3/23/2021 at 12:55 PM, Lady Arwen said:

In Canada, same sex marriage and LGBTQ people have been embraced for so many years now, I can’t even remember when it was not the case.

Which is why my partner and I (we are Americans) traveled to your country — your very city in fact 😊— to get married, long before we could legally get married in the U.S.  We are forever grateful to Canada for making that possible. 

• Like 8

On 3/24/2021 at 12:19 AM, Germancruiser said:

Wonderful answers all around- here is one of the most wonderful dance scene´s i have ever seen. Great inspiration!

But the scene after it is truly disturbing and heartbreaking and sets up much of the narrative for the remainder of the next season and really explores the “why” of bullying and hate.  One of my all time favorite series.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Which is why my partner and I (we are Americans) traveled to your country — your very city in fact 😊— to get married, long before we could legally get married in the U.S.  We are forever grateful to Canada for making that possible. 

Yes, you and many others, including Elton John and his husband David Furnish.  They bought a home just outside of Toronto at the same time.  If you ask a Canadian what they think about same sex marriage the will say. “Well, since it’s not hockey, we don’t care what team you play on “!  Glad we were part of your special day!  Love who you love!

• Like 6

The thing is we do not think that this is such a big thing anymore.    Most people are thankfully  well past the hate, discrimination, etc  and have moved forward to accepting people as they are a long time ago.

Those that have not, the haters, will always find something to hate.  If it is not sexual orientation, it is race, sex, faith, country of origin, etc.  You name it, they will find a way to hate and to discriminate.  It is in their hearts.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 5

As the song by Rodgers & Hammerstein from South Pacific says:

You've got to be taught to hate and fear
You've got to be taught from year to year
Its got to be drummed in your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people who's eyes are 'oddly' made
And people who's skin is a different shade
You've got to bcarefully taught

You've got to be taught before it's too late
Before you are six, or seven, or eight
To hate all the people your relatives hate
You've got to be carefully taught

Thankfully many, MANY people have moved past this kind of societal programming and learned to love and accept others with kindness and compassion.  Sadly there are still enough who haven't been able to move forward that we have still have discrimination, bullying and violence related to prejudice of all kinds.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

In Canada it is actually a violation of our Charter of Rights and Freedoms for any Province deny the right of marriage (or discriminate) to anyone....including same sex couples.

That Charter has been in existence since 1982 and within six months of it's enactment became the most copied constitutional document in the world for those countries searching for a new constitutional framework.  A fact that few Canadians realize. 

This is probably why the whole issue is more of a shrug and a 'so what' to most people.  

Edited by iancal