GAY PEOPLE ON BOARD

nashkan

58 minutes ago, T8NCruise said:

Oh dear, I really wish I could say the same.  We have encountered some very obnoxious people onboard HAL ships, and some that have been extremely rude to crew members.  They cruise all lines. 

That is too bad.  I was speaking more about public outbursts.  Yes, everywhere I go I have seen people act poorly towards those they consider their "servants". That attitude has ended a few friendships in life.  I find it a bit off, if you know what I mean.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, T8NCruise said:

Oh dear, I really wish I could say the same.  We have encountered some very obnoxious people onboard HAL ships, and some that have been extremely rude to crew members.  They cruise all lines. 

Agree there always seems to be “one” who thinks they are more important and treat crew badly.  I was delighted to see one couple kicked off one cruise.  Their behaviour was abhorrent.  We had Noro and they refused to use the hand sanitizer and were beyond rude for words to the staff.  The captain made an announcement warning that such behaviour would not be tolerated - he was NOT going to do a TA with Noro and people would be put off at the next port if they didn’t play ball.  They didn’t change and got what they deserved.

As to Gay people on board?  We’ve had lots on our roll calls and I cherish many of them as friends and would be delighted to cruise with them again.

Way back, a decade ago, on the Oosterdam (one of the reasons I haven’t returned to that ship) a couple was at a table for 8 and being treated badly by the table mates.  I could see the look on his face and asked him to join us when he was done at dinner.  He told me what was going on and I went to the Maître D’ (the title at the time) and said we had room at our table and would be happy to have them join us.

The Maître D’ refused despite my explanation.  Gave me the line it was too late and it was what it was.  As a result, they ate at specialty restaurants for the rest of the cruise or in the Lido.  

I am still angry about it to this day.  I went to several people on that ship and no one did anything.  The guys made the best of it and had a blast with us on our tours.

When I get a bee in my bonnet, I get difficult.  WE haven’t been on the Oosterdam since.

Since then, on all the HAL ships, I happy to say that I have not seen that type of treatment by anyone - passengers or crew. 🙂 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I swore off a whole cruise line for a bad incident.   I didn't say anything, I voted with my dollars.  

I did the same with another cruise line.  I did snail mail them with my concerns and got a PFO letter back and “we look forward to welcoming you back on board”.  In your dreams.  DH who is the easiest guy going was more upset than I, even wrote a letter to the Hotel Dir

I had been on enough HAL cruises to know this wasn’t normal, thankfully.

Just now, kazu said:

DH who is the easiest guy going was more upset than I, even wrote a letter to the Hotel Dir

This was what happened here too.  I sort of shrugged it off but DH said, no, there are plenty of people who want our money.  Let's spend it where we are wanted and feel safe.  We all have limited budgets there is no point spending it just to remember an awful incident.  I have been very happy with HAL and I have sailed 4 or 5 other lines.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

This was what happened here too.  I sort of shrugged it off but DH said, no, there are plenty of people who want our money.  Let's spend it where we are wanted and feel safe.  We all have limited budgets there is no point spending it just to remember an awful incident.  I have been very happy with HAL and I have sailed 4 or 5 other lines.

Ironically, this was a “premier” cruise line.  There was a Prinsendam sailing the same time frame (and boy, I wish we had taken it instead now - but hindsight is what it is) but my friends and I thought “why not try something better”.  DH was not alone.  My friend’s DH said - never again - I’m back to a blue hulled ship.

Like you, we’ve been on 5 different cruise lines.  this was by far, our worst cruise.  The only time I couldn’t get off the ship fast enough.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

@kazu our experience on the Oosterdam was different.  The dj asked us what song we wanted.  I gave him one of our wedding songs and he played it so we could dance.  Long ago we gave up on main dining room in part because of rude behavior from some guests.

Glad to hear the first part.  Saddened on the having to givie up the MDR though.

• Like 2

@kazu The staff from the Oosterdam 10 years ago has most likely changed over, and the previous staff have most likely worked on virtually every other ship in the fleet at some point (including your beloved Prinsendam) due to contract rotations, promotions, leaving employment with HAL, etc.  Chances are that 6+ months later it would have been an entirely different crew if you had gone back on Oosterdam.  To avoid one ship because of staff related issues seems a bit extreme.  To avoid a whole cruise line because of a bad experience that went unresolved I understand however, as I have done the same.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, HamOp said:

I'm quite sure a lot of people of the "older" generation would have a problem with two gay guys dancing together.  As another poster said, that's their problem, not yours.  It's a throw back to the times when that was not accepted and change comes hard.  I also don't think anyone will have the guts to come here and say that to your "face".  

You asked, that's my opinion.

Don't knock the "older generation"!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

@kazu The staff from the Oosterdam 10 years ago has most likely changed over, and the previous staff have most likely worked on virtually every other ship in the fleet at some point (including your beloved Prinsendam) due to contract rotations

Thanks -I well realize the staff would have been turned over but there were enough issues and ignoring of it along with the blatant prejudice that I just haven’t been inclined to sail that ship.  It’s only one ship. 😉 

As to rotation and working on the Prinsendam - I will disagree on that point.  Most of the Prinsendam crew were on the ship for years - some for decades.   Certainly they had time off but many if not most were repeaters.  

It was one of the successes of that ship as previous cabin steward, bar tenders, waiters, etc would greet you welcoming you back.  Our wine steward well remembered our choices from previous cruises.  There were many tears as they realized the time would come when they would have to split up.

The Prinsendam captain(s) were very fussy on their crew and I can assure you that no one that reacted that way I saw on the Oosterdam would have been tolerated.  They had a lot of the cream of the top and for good reason 😄 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

The staff from the Oosterdam 10 years ago has most likely changed over, and the previous staff have most likely worked on virtually every other ship in the fleet at some point (including your beloved Prinsendam) due to contract rotations, promotions, leaving employment with HAL, etc.  Chances are that 6+ months later it would have been an entirely different crew if you had gone back on Oosterdam.  To avoid one ship because of staff related issues seems a bit extreme.

Your comment is correct.  But....  One's negative experience has a hangover effect on their memories and does have an impact on what one chooses to do in the future.  For me:  many good memories from cruises on the Noordam.  A 21 day b2b Caribbean cruise on the Noordam with a Captain and Hotel Director whose attitude was "I could care less" about my guests has caused me not to book another cruise on the Noordam.  And, I try to determine before I book a HAL cruise to determine if that Captain will be at the helm of the HAL cruise I am considering.  

Am I a "one off" on my thinking about these two cruises?  No.  I spoke with other 3-4-5 Star Mariners on that cruise and they all shared my opinion of this Captain and Hotel Director.  

• Like 2

I am not gay.  But, I am a solo cruiser most of the time.  If the music that I am enjoying prompts me to get out of my seat and dance as a solo, I will do so.  Yes, I have had some "odd looks" at times.  That's those people problems, not mine.  I have been joined by others at times when I have done this.  More than once, I have been joined by ladies who have been dancing "solo" or with other women when their husbands have chosen not to dance.  

• Like 10

Just now, rkacruiser said:

I am not gay.  But, I am a solo cruiser most of the time.  If the music that I am enjoying prompts me to get out of my seat and dance as a solo, I will do so.  Yes, I have had some "odd looks" at times.  That's those people problems, not mine.  I have been joined by others at times when I have done this.  More than once, I have been joined by ladies who have been dancing "solo" or with other women when their husbands have chosen not to dance.  

Dancers have to dance.   I don’t understand my DH’s lead feet.    I knew before I married.  We have an understanding, I get to dance, he gets to sit. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

I think the biggest challenge on most HAL ships these days is less the attitude or prejudices of fellow cruisers toward LGBTQ passengers, but rather finding a band playing music suitable for slow dancing!  With the focus on entertainment by the BB Kings Blues Club, Rolling Stone Rock room, etc the days of a band/combo playing social dance music are all but a distant memory on HAL.  The holdouts would be ships like Volendam/Zaandam which still had social dancing in the Ocean Bar pre-shutdown.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, nashkan said:

Is this a problem if two men slow dance together?

Yes, there will be a problem....straight, gay, or otherwise:  Trying to find a ballroom-dancing venue on the "new" HAL.  Used to be ballroom dancing in the Crow's Nest and the Ocean Bar.  But now, no.  I have yet to sail on the new big ships (humungoudams).  Perhaps there is such a place on their Music Walks.  Others may chime in here and clarify.

Edited by Av8rix
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

With the focus on entertainment by the BB Kings Blues Club, Rolling Stone Rock room, etc the days of a band/combo playing social dance music 

The music that gets my feet up and about is music from Abba or Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive or the like.  Even the Duke of Earl by Gene Chandler gets me to gyrating in my chair as I listen to it on my computer.  

• Like 2

Just now, rkacruiser said:

The music that gets my feet up and about is music from Abba or Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive or the like.  Even the Duke of Earl by Gene Chandler gets me to gyrating in my chair as I listen to it on my computer.  

Rock anthems, eh?   Duke of Earl is now my ear worm.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Remember Dick Clark's Bandstand TV show?  

I do.   That is where I first heard Aretha Franklin.     DH is from the Atlantic City area and actually went to Bandstand when they had an outdoor event 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I'm glad you do this.  Everyone should dance...alone or together.  I was glad when things changed where the ladies were out there dancing together, instead of "waiting to be asked."

I'm pretty traditional in most respects, but when the music is on, people want to move their feet and have a wonderful time doing it.  Group dancing is common now.  It's change for the better.

• Like 5

I hope you dance together on your next cruise - and all cruises going forward! If we are on the same ship, I would, on your behalf, be happy to confront anyone that gave you grief. I'm originally from Brooklyn and can be pretty tough!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1