Trying to decide on cruise leaving NYC or Boston

jackg962

On 5/6/2021 at 8:16 AM, AF-1 said:

Is this a new cruise line?

21 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

No- it been around for many years - much lower fares than NCL, but comparable service/food.

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I rode this line many times growing up.  My dad worked in Lower Manhattan in the US Customs house;  we rode from Staten Island to lower Manhattan and walked to my dads office

30 minutes ago, George C said:

My first job was at 1 Broadway as a computer operator in 1967 working for a cruise line US Lines , had the perfect view of the Statue of Liberty, worked in that area for ten years, remember seeing the World Trade Center being built . 

7 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

When I worked in lower Manhattan I would spend the occasional summer lunch hour on a round trip from South Ferry to Staten Island.  When I planned ahead, I would bring a sandwich and a drink from home -- which was preferable to the on-board cuisine.

As someone who spent his entire childhood and even past college graduation as a resident of Staten Island nothing will ever persuade me to ride that ferry again...and thankfully it's been over 50 years since I have set foot on it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

When I worked in lower Manhattan I would spend the occasional summer lunch hour on a round trip from South Ferry to Staten Island.  When I planned ahead, I would bring a sandwich and a drink from home -- which was preferable to the on-board cuisine.

That is so awesome you would do that.  What a view while eating lunch

We have sailed out of both Manhattan on NCL and Brooklyn on Princess also have sailed out of Boston. We live 40 minutes north of Boston.

Brooklyn nearer the airport, harder to get to the terminal ( for us it was).

Manhattan we go to Penn from Boston, hop in a cab 20.00 and 20 minutes later we are at the port. Think they do a better job than Boston port getting you through the process.

Boston we use a service to the port but know Logan isn't far (Aunt lived near the airport she cruised with us) you could even take a subway, but you have about 20-30 minute walk from the closest stop with luggage.

I love sailing from and returning to Manhattan personally, but Boston is closer.

If you come to Boston give yourself a little time to see the sights.

• Like 1

latebloomer56;  thank you for the feedback.  Since you have sailed from all three; you have good info.  When you sailed out of Manhattan and Brooklyn;  where did you stay?

11 hours ago, AF-1 said:

latebloomer56;  thank you for the feedback.  Since you have sailed from all three; you have good info.  When you sailed out of Manhattan and Brooklyn;  where did you stay?

Sorry no info on hotels we arrived the day we sailed we generally take the train to Penn station and a taxi to Manhattan but a car service to Brooklyn (averages out to the same as a taxi and some taxis don't want to go to Brooklyn) we get it at Penn as well.

You could check east coast departures there is some good information there.

• 2 months later...
On 5/2/2021 at 11:23 AM, njhorseman said:

The sailaway from Bayonne, where Royal Caribbean docks, is also not nearly as visually stunning as a departure from Manhattan.

By any chance did you ever know a guy named Jack C.who owned and ran horses at Saratoga ?