UK Cruise restart May 2021

philsuarez

6 hours ago, philsuarez said:

I think it may be likely that MSC Virtuosa is redeployed to the UK rather than the summer season out of Kiel what with further lockdowns across Europe

I also think it is probable that Msc will choose Virtuosa for the restart in the UK.  The ship is still in the shipyard in western France so it could reach Southampton in one day. It would probably be a better choice than Magnifica, because Virtuosa is brand new, has more attractions, restaurants and Yacht Club. Since the possibility to go ashore will probably be limited, such a ship would be better.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, philsuarez said:

I think it may be likely that MSC Virtuosa is redeployed to the UK rather than the summer season out of Kiel what with further lockdowns across Europe

We figured as much and cancelled our b2b early March.  Even though fully vaccinated, figure those countries not eager to see us.

6 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

Virtuosa has just been given permission to lay up at La Havre until June.

Would be great to get that new ship sailing around the UK - we only sail Yacht Club with MSC so Magnifica no good for us.

We're due on Celebrity Silhouette out of Southampton late June but that's looking doubtful so a swap to YC on MSC would be good.

We are keeping fingers crossed for 2 x 7N with MSC from Florida in late August and September though as its wifes 50th.

We'd much prefer YC as well although would give Magnifica a shot if that was the only option. Seems to me that Virtuosa is ideally placed!

By the way, does anyone know what are the current travel restrictions in the UK?  Not being a UK resident could I come there from the EU with a negative test?

I hope that as an international cruise line Msc will also accept guests from abroad on these cruises in Great Britain.  I have booked a cruise to Iceland with Msc for this summer, but I am pretty sure it will not happen.  The one in the UK would be a nice substitute.

1 hour ago, WorldTraveler151208 said:

By the way, does anyone know what are the current travel restrictions in the UK?  Not being a UK resident could I come there from the EU with a negative test?

I hope that as an international cruise line Msc will also accept guests from abroad on these cruises in Great Britain.  I have booked a cruise to Iceland with Msc for this summer, but I am pretty sure it will not happen.  The one in the UK would be a nice substitute.

Cruises are for UK residents only as far as I understand, if you travel to the UK you will be expected to Isolate for 10 days in an airport hotel at your own cost.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

Virtuosa has just been given permission to lay up at La Havre until June.

Would be great to get that new ship sailing around the UK - we only sail Yacht Club with MSC so Magnifica no good for us.

Ditto!  👍

4 hours ago, WorldTraveler151208 said:

The cruises announced so far are for UK residents only, so if you're not a UK resident it's not an option. 

11 hours ago, WorldTraveler151208 said:

It looks unlikely that non British and Irish residents will be able to easily visit the UK or take a cruise from the UK this summer.  The last few days Cabinet Ministers and Government Scientists all seemed to have the same message of not to expect a holiday abroad this summer so far, though the best slogan they could come up with was 'protect our vaccination program', which is one word too many to be an official one.

Current restrictions are:  Only essential travel into and out from the UK is allowed until 17th May (for all nationalities) and if you do travel you must have a negative test within 3 days before arrival, quarantine for 10 days after arrival and also pay GBP200 to take a test on day 2 and 8.   Paying for an additional test on day 5 will allow you to cut short the quarantine to 5 days.    It is probably the harshest and most expensive restrictions in Europe, all designed to reduce foreign travel (and the possibility to import the South African or Brazilian variants).

The to be restrictions will be announced on April 12th.

18 minutes ago, stuart2468 said:

Anyone got any insight as to when these sailings are due to be released? Very eager to get one booked for june/july

I think some of the original articles around the announcement mentioned April 7th as the date we get more detail?

4 minutes ago, JP82 said:

I think some of the original articles around the announcement mentioned April 7th as the date we get more detail?

Thanks JP. I hadn't seen any announcement of dates thus far. good to know we don't have to wait too long.

I took a look at Iona sailings today, all 3 of them lol. Prices weren't to bad though but would much prefer to sail MSC as I prefer their continental product. Britain on a boat doesn't really do it for me

1 minute ago, stuart2468 said:

Thanks JP. I hadn't seen any announcement of dates thus far. good to know we don't have to wait too long.

I took a look at Iona sailings today, all 3 of them lol. Prices weren't to bad though but would much prefer to sail MSC as I prefer their continental product. Britain on a boat doesn't really do it for me

Agreed! I said I would willingly do the P&O options if they announced Iona or Brittania on them, and that's exactly what they did 😄. I've been on the P&O website this morning, but really I don't think I will book until I know I am getting my Vaccination. So for now MSC has become my better option!

(Zero interest in Magnifica thought tbh, so waiting for them to come through with that announcement on a bigger (and better) ship)

6 minutes ago, JP82 said:

Agreed! I said I would willingly do the P&O options if they announced Iona or Brittania on them, and that's exactly what they did 😄. I've been on the P&O website this morning, but really I don't think I will book until I know I am getting my Vaccination. So for now MSC has become my better option!

(Zero interest in Magnifica thought tbh, so waiting for them to come through with that announcement on a bigger (and better) ship)

Yeah, I don't think I will be fully vaccinated before August, and already have a cruise booked for the September dates on Virtuosa, so can't really book Iona for that period. But not needing a vaccine, only a test to board MSC makes it more favourable. I am happy with which ever ship it is just so we get to have a break away, and I haven't yet done that class of ship. 

Will be interesting to see if they schedule more than 1 ship though. Not needing a vaccine means demand for these sailings could be huge and I suspect a second ship would be required. 

Edited by stuart2468

9 minutes ago, stuart2468 said:

Yeah, I don't think I will be fully vaccinated before August, and already have a cruise booked for the September dates on Virtuosa, so can't really book Iona for that period. But not needing a vaccine, only a test to board MSC makes it more favourable. I am happy with which ever ship it is just so we get to have a break away, and I haven't yet done that class of ship. 

Will be interesting to see if they schedule more than 1 ship though. Not needing a vaccine means demand for these sailings could be huge and I suspect a second ship would be required. 

Exactly! And a few people seem to be thinking Virtuosa will not go ahead with her sailings from Northern Europe.

I just responded to a comment about it on Twitter and said that if MSC lay on a Meraviglia or Seaside class then they have a sale. And MSC liked it.... Which means absolutely nothing, but I took it as a sign! 😄

2 minutes ago, JP82 said:

Exactly! And a few people seem to be thinking Virtuosa will not go ahead with her sailings from Northern Europe.

I just responded to a comment about it on Twitter and said that if MSC lay on a Meraviglia or Seaside class then they have a sale. And MSC liked it.... Which means absolutely nothing, but I took it as a sign! 😄

I agree..... a definite sign! 😂

• Like 1

MSC Virtuosa is still planned for Kiel.

A few days ago CEO Vago made an interview with a journalist from Kiel. He said they are planning cruises without ports from Kiel and they are just waiting for Germany to lift the restrictions.

12 hours ago, Ulsteinvik said:

MSC Virtuosa is still planned for Kiel.

A few days ago CEO Vago made an interview with a journalist from Kiel. He said they are planning cruises without ports from Kiel and they are just waiting for Germany to lift the restrictions.

Did they say what citizens would be allowed and as planned dates?

Would love the new ship but we booked purely for ports so glad we cancelled.

4 hours ago, dexddd said:

Did they say what citizens would be allowed and as planned dates?

Would love the new ship but we booked purely for ports so glad we cancelled.

No, unfortunately not. The Portofkiel is hoping that cruising is allowed from May but it is really optimistic.

Maybe the Virtuosa could offer cruises from the UK before moving to Germany? Just my thoughts..

On 3/22/2021 at 7:51 AM, 8420PR said:

It looks unlikely that non British and Irish residents will be able to easily visit the UK or take a cruise from the UK this summer. 

Can't speak to whether MSC will allow Irish Residents onto these sailings but it is possible to  travel to the UK from Ireland. Ireland has a Common Travel Area with the UK and we have freedom of movement in both directions. While the Irish Government has curtailed this somewhat due to general port/airport restrictions for travel from the South, practically speaking once an Irish Resident crosses into Northern Ireland they would be free to take a ferry or plane to England/Scotland/Wales.

Weirdly if MSC do ban us from the UK cruises then we will be the only country in Europe who can't cruise as we are also currently banned from european cruises along with UK residents because we are not part of the Schengen Area .

1 hour ago, medic143 said:

Can't speak to whether MSC will allow Irish Residents onto these sailings but it is possible to  travel to the UK from Ireland. Ireland has a Common Travel Area with the UK and we have freedom of movement in both directions. While the Irish Government has curtailed this somewhat due to general port/airport restrictions for travel from the South, practically speaking once an Irish Resident crosses into Northern Ireland they would be free to take a ferry or plane to England/Scotland/Wales.

Weirdly if MSC do ban us from the UK cruises then we will be the only country in Europe who can't cruise as we are also currently banned from european cruises along with UK residents because we are not part of the Schengen Area .

Medic ... I think your address in Ireland would be what stops you from sailing.

Guest BigRoger

I rashly said to DW that if MsC put Virtuosa in Southampton this summer I’d treat her to Yacht Club...... errr now thinking I may have misjudged that statement... she is contacting travel agents to see if they know anything......