Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?

seapals2

1 hour ago, WECRUISEUK said:

Some interesting ideas you've put forward but i think that walking tours of any kind are a non starter for one main reason.What happens when one of the group needs the toilet?A lot of us aren't able to wait for as long as others and will need to go within 5 or 10 minutes.Your not allowed to break from the group at any time and if you do they could and almost certainly will refuse boarding.For this reason i think the only option is to have excursions on coaches,that seems to be the safe and practical way forward.

Please see my reply to Wowzz above where I have addressed a number of points.  Toilet access is one thing that I always think about as anything more than an hour is a problem for me!  Museums and cafes/pubs will have those sort of facilities and I was not suggesting something that was purely a walking tour.

I fail to comprehend how you could possibly think putting a group of cruise passengers in an enclosed coach for a while would be the best way of preventing them from spreading infection both amongst themselves and with the driver/tour guide!  The decision is not to be made by us though and we will just have to wait and see what is offered.

Edited by tring

2 hours ago, shopaholic6 said:

I had an email from P&O yesterday advising that the price of my staycation cruise has been reduced and so they have reduced the balance I owe accordingly 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Wow! I think that’s unheard of! You must be delighted.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, tring said:

What will happen remains to be seen and any of our opinions will not change that.

Whilst sharing my thoughts I was specifically mentioning potentials which kept away from shopping areas that will indeed be busy, though I do not see why a museum shop cannot be used if served by someone behind a perspex screen.  We are all used to using card payment now and the shopkeeper could be someone who has been vaccinated and also tested, though if wearing a mask and gloves would limit any chance of contracting infection from the cruise passengers themselves.  Likewise with wait staff and also why I mentioned outdoor potentials.  If a tour is to take 2-3 hours there would need to be some access to toilets and likely drinks.

There is a company who run open top buses for Beatles tours and they were mentioned as transport in the MSC video posted above, though will need to consider folk may need to stay in the covered sections if it rains, so allow space.  The timing is also crucial - if tours leave early morning they could go to certain locations before many other tourists turn up, so the premises will be clean and then could be wiped/sprayed down before opening to the general public. The business will not loose custom they could get later in the day then either.

My opinion is that putting people on a coach, particularly for the whole tour, is the worst thing you can do as it would be difficult to prevent infection between the cruise passengers as well as between them and the driver/tour operator.  No access to toilets either, apart from possibly those cramped ones.  It would be extremely difficult to use those in a covid secure way, especially if the coach is moving at the time and who will clean them between each user?  Testing a couple of times pre-cruise will not ensure infection is present within the cruise passengers.  Especially with a Southampton departure many people will have travelled a distance to the port (possibly by public transport), stayed overnight in a hotel and/or taken a taxi to the docks, as well as having visited service stations/cafes/restaurants during their journies.  Hence after an incubation period, they could develop covid at any time. 

We all, I think, look upon these cruises as a trial for when international travel can commence and I suggest they are also a trial for the sort of "shore experiences" that can be offered and how well they work for the safety of both cruise passengers and the local community.  I find it difficult to imagine international travellers will cruise if they were only allowed ashore for a one hour drive around in a coach and in the case of somewhere like Chester, that would not work even if the port was nearer, as the tourist locations are generally not visible from a vehicle due to pedestrianised areas and busy roads,

Barbara

Good points there Barbara.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Wow! I think that’s unheard of! You must be delighted.

Yes I did think that at the time! It’s weird because I’ve just looked on the website and the cabin we booked still comes up at the same price as originally paid, so whether or not we receive the cheaper price remains to be seen!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shopaholic6 said:

Yes I did think that at the time! It’s weird because I’ve just looked on the website and the cabin we booked still comes up at the same price as originally paid, so whether or not we receive the cheaper price remains to be seen!

We booked one this morning. The price was as published. I'll have a reduction if given, not proud.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

Please see my reply to Wowzz above where I have addressed a number of points.  Toilet access is one thing that I always think about as anything more than an hour is a problem for me!  Museums and cafes/pubs will have those sort of facilities and I was not suggesting something that was purely a walking tour.

I fail to comprehend how you could possibly think putting a group of cruise passengers in an enclosed coach for a while would be the best way of preventing them from spreading infection both amongst themselves and with the driver/tour guide!  The decision is not to be made by us though and we will just have to wait and see what is offered.

I went on a couple of coach day trips last summer, which I had booked before the pandemic hit - my local coach company did an open day in early January 2020, where we got a discount if we booked early.

The criteria for coaches is that the maximum occupancy is 50%, with passenger seating arranged so that each party is 2m away from others. Masks had to worn at all times.  Lots of wiping was done during the day, especially things like the tops of seats, which people tend to grab hold of when they walk down the aisle.  At night, the coaches are fully sanitised  with a disinfectant fogging system.

It seemed 'safe' enough, but our coaches were nowhere near even 50% capacity.  On one tour there were only 8 passengers on the coach.

I have  still got money on account with the coach company for excursions that were cancel last year, so I will be booking these shortly. 

It's not ideal, but the coach firms are doing everything they can, as they've been badly hit by Covid 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Princess have reduced their prices of Seacation cruises since inception. Ours has decreased contacted my TA to ask what if I cancelled at new price and they said leave it with them and they would contact Princess. They have agreed to move me to the "new reduced price" without loss of deposit so saving even more so a happy bunny.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Princess have reduced their prices of Seacation cruises since inception. Ours has decreased contacted my TA to ask what if I cancelled at new price and they said leave it with them and they would contact Princess. They have agreed to move me to the "new reduced price" without loss of deposit so saving even more so a happy bunny.

The price of our Princess 'seacation' cruise of 4 nights hasn't changed.Is it the cruises without stops at any ports that have had the price reduced?

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

The price of our Princess 'seacation' cruise of 4 nights hasn't changed.Is it the cruises without stops at any ports that have had the price reduced?

No ours is 7nt cruise with stops in Liverpool/Belfast.

anyone else on here, going 18th july on brittania ? i would love to start a roll call if so. nice to meet fellow guests even if its behind masks and socially distanced. i like to do dot painting if anyone would care to join me ? plenty sea days on this trip

21 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Wonder what effect India being put on “Red List” will have on P&O plans for summer cruises round U.K., Indian Nationals are banned from coming in U.K. from 4:00 am on Friday. 

Seafarers are exempt, but have to self-isolate.

Personally, I don't necessarily consider all the crew on a cruise ship to be seafarers (ie the hotel side of things).  However, the UK definition of a seaman includes: "every person (except masters and pilots) employed or engaged in any capacity on board any ship".

• Like 2

Just now, Son of Anarchy said:

Seafarers are exempt, but have to self-isolate.

Personally, I don't necessarily consider all the crew on a cruise ship to be seafarers (ie the hotel side of things).  However, the UK definition of a seaman includes: "every person (except masters and pilots) employed or engaged in any capacity on board any ship".

What may have more impact, is availability of flights from Red List countries to the UK.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

What may have more impact, is availability of flights from Red List countries to the UK.

No problem, just stick them on a ship and sail them over, but they better do it soonest

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, welshy74 said:

I thought back to back was not permitted during the ‘staycation’ period.  Guess I’m wrong??? 

well i just booked it yesterday, ta never mentioned anything.i dont see why they would not allow it, even if i have to change cabins thats fine. no hassle.getting the correct proof we have had both vaccines is more of a worry to me as even the cruiseline are not saying exactly what they require yet.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, dundeelass said:

well i just booked it yesterday, ta never mentioned anything.i dont see why they would not allow it, even if i have to change cabins thats fine. no hassle.getting the correct proof we have had both vaccines is more of a worry to me as even the cruiseline are not saying exactly what they require yet.

Maybe I misunderstood my TA.  I thought it was a bit strange but nothing surprises me at the moment.  

2 minutes ago, welshy74 said:

Maybe I misunderstood my TA.  I thought it was a bit strange but nothing surprises me at the moment.  

are you on the 18th sailing?

are you concerned about getting proof you have had both vaccines?

maybe the govt will come out with something soon to let you show proof

7 hours ago, dundeelass said:

We have booked on to the 4 night cruise on the 18th.  Booked direct on the phone with P&O and tried to book a back to back.  I was told, and this is also on P&O's website, 7 days must lapse between cruises and back to back are not allowed.

This is from the website:-

Guests will require a seven day gap between any of the UK getaway cruises. Back to back bookings will not be available.

As the COVID-19 situation evolves our accompanying health protocols are under constant review. Therefore, to ensure we continue to maintain the highest levels of approach, we want to ensure that as we return to sailing each new cruise operates with all guests boarding for the first time, in line with these protocols.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

We have booked on to the 4 night cruise on the 18th.  Booked direct on the phone with P&O and tried to book a back to back.  I was told, and this is also on P&O's website, 7 days must lapse between cruises and back to back are not allowed.

This is from the website:-

Guests will require a seven day gap between any of the UK getaway cruises. Back to back bookings will not be available.

As the COVID-19 situation evolves our accompanying health protocols are under constant review. Therefore, to ensure we continue to maintain the highest levels of approach, we want to ensure that as we return to sailing each new cruise operates with all guests boarding for the first time, in line with these protocols.

Thank you for pointing this out.  I must admit, I wondered whether although they weren't allowing b2b's, would there be anything to stop you from disembarking as per usual and then going to check in for the next one. Clearly there is.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dundeelass said:

I would double check this with your TA, if they say you can't do it (as most of use suspect) then make sure the TA refunds you as it is there problem for accepting the booking.