Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?

seapals2

Just booked with P&O for September. Got insurance with All Clear quite reasonable price as it includes Covid cover.  As someone who loves sea days and had missed the sea so much, only having one port doesn't bother me at all.  Its put a new spring in my step at last.

17 minutes ago, Nightingale0208 said:

Just booked with P&O for September. Got insurance with All Clear quite reasonable price as it includes Covid cover.  As someone who loves sea days and had missed the sea so much, only having one port doesn't bother me at all.  Its put a new spring in my step at last.

Please for your sake get in writing from them that they will cover medical expenses onboard. I tried and they told me they wouldn't.

This is taken from an email they sent to me.

"If the customer is on a UK cruise and in UK waters only, would they have medical expense cover including airlift/repatriation? Customers are covered for emergency evacuation including pre-existing medical condition declared or COVID related illness. However, the customer will have to cover the costs of any medical consultation or prescriptions provided by the on-board Doctor."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I thought all UK waters Staycation cruises were expensive until I enquired in South Devon for a week self catering in a caravan or whatever fancy name they call them now and was quoted £1200  for 7nts for 2 people.

We have 2 separate weeks booked, 1 in Cornwall and 1 in Dorset. £400/600. If we ever sell the house we could go for 2 weeks in August.

21 hours ago, ann141 said:

I have just changed a Princess 'seacation' of 4 nights to a 7 night cruise but only had to pay an extra £210pp for the 3 extra nights and now 3 ports instead of 1

Did you change dates or did you add a 3 night B2B?

I only ask as I tried to add a B2B and they don't allow it even if you don't get off in Southampton midway through.🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

I only ask as I tried to add a B2B and they don't allow it even if you don't get off in Southampton midway through.🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

I just transferred to a new cruise as P and O and Princess aren't allowing any B2B Its probably partly so that they can do a deep clean without passengers onboard

6 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I just transferred to a new cruise as P and O and Princess aren't allowing any B2B Its probably partly so that they can do a deep clean without passengers onboard

To do a deep clean, you would need two or three days at least, not a couple of hours! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I agree but they can probably do a better clean with no passengers onboard

I think the idea behind no B2Bs was primarily to stop those cruisers going into Southampton,  mixing with the locals, and potentially bringing CV19 back on board.

In the current environment,  with plummeting infection rates, it seems a bit unnecessary. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

I think the idea behind no B2Bs was primarily to stop those cruisers going into Southampton,  mixing with the locals, and potentially bringing CV19 back on board.

In the current environment,  with plummeting infection rates, it seems a bit unnecessary. 

I think you are probably correct.However even if cruisers were allowed to stay on for a B2B it would probably mean them having to be tested before re embarking etc.I am sure if P and O can't get sufficient numbers booking they will have a rethink and B2B cruises may be allowed

4 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I think you are probably correct.However even if cruisers were allowed to stay on for a B2B it would probably mean them having to be tested before re embarking etc.I am sure if P and O can't get sufficient numbers booking they will have a rethink and B2B cruises may be allowed

Are P&O actually going to do any testing? Seems irrelevant if everyone has been vaccinated.  

Hi all - just a quick reply re Disney.  Happened to go online at 8.00am and was able to book an inside cabin, for 2.  It came to £818 for both of us.  Sailing on 30th August 2021 for the 2 nighter.  Such a busy summer coming up now!!

Britannia

Virtuosa

Scarlet Lady and Disney!!

What has everyone else got booked?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

To do a deep clean, you would need two or three days at least, not a couple of hours! 

They always called the increased cleaning after a Noro outbreak a deep clean, and that only added a few hours to the turnround time.

2 hours ago, ann141 said:

With all the ships sailing out of Southampton I would think it would be easy to cruise with say P&O then MSC followed by Princess, Cunard or any other line. You could probably cruise for months jumping from one line to the other if you had the time and finances

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

Are P&O actually going to do any testing? Seems irrelevant if everyone has been vaccinated.  

Most of the crew won't have been vaccinated so it is mainly to protect them but also even if someone has been vaccinated they can still catch the virus.Even if they are only mildly ill, P and o won't want any adverse publicity and the government have probably agreed that tests are necessary for cruises to restart.Things may change nearer the sailing date and the same requirements may change

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

With all the ships sailing out of Southampton I would think it would be easy to cruise with say P&O then MSC followed by Princess, Cunard or any other line. You could probably cruise for months jumping from one line to the other if you had the time and finances

I think I read somewhere(don't ask me where!) that it is not allowed to go from one cruise straight to another. even if a different cruise line.

4 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I think I read somewhere(don't ask me where!) that it is not allowed to go from one cruise straight to another. even if a different cruise line.

I could see the logic but how would MSC know you had just got off a P&O ship.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, panamapd said:

Hi all - just a quick reply re Disney.  Happened to go online at 8.00am and was able to book an inside cabin, for 2.  It came to £818 for both of us.  Sailing on 30th August 2021 for the 2 nighter.  Such a busy summer coming up now!!

Britannia

Virtuosa

Do you have to be vaccinated for that one?  Just wondering as its Disney, our kids would love it but don't get vaccines ? Thanks

54 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I could see the logic but how would MSC know you had just got off a P&O ship.

I'm not sure but I seem to remember wondering about trying out a different cruise line (non Carnival) if there was a sailing leaving Southampton the day we disembarked from our Princess cruise but reading that there had to be a 7 day gap between cruises (possibly government policy?)or I may have just dreamt the whole thing up!

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

They always called the increased cleaning after a Noro outbreak a deep clean, and that only added a few hours to the turnround time.

I come from a food manufacturing background, and a deep clean would entail taking machinery to bits and steam cleaning, jet washing the surrounding surfaces, steam cleaning drains, etc. 

To deep clean a cruise ship I would expect every mattress, curtain and carpet to either be replaced or steam cleaned, all the drains to be jet washed, every bathroom to be fogged, and that's before starting on the public areas. 

You can't do a proper deep clean in couple of hours.     

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

Most of the crew won't have been vaccinated so it is mainly to protect them but also even if someone has been vaccinated they can still catch the virus.Even if they are only mildly ill, P and o won't want any adverse publicity and the government have probably agreed that tests are necessary for cruises to restart.Things may change nearer the sailing date and the same requirements may change

Sorry, but I thought that if you had been vaccinated,  it was very difficult to identify if you actually had the virus.  

Hopefully Phil will give us his expert opinion.

5 hours ago, panamapd said:

Britannia

Virtuosa

So, £200 per person, per night for an inside cabin. Sorry, but that seems outrageous.  

How in the name of the wee donkey can that amount be justified? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Sorry, but I thought that if you had been vaccinated,  it was very difficult to identify if you actually had the virus.  

Hopefully Phil will give us his expert opinion.

Its probably very difficult to identify that you have covid if you have been vaccinated because the symptoms are likely to be very mild but hopefully a test would prove one way or the other, though I realise the tests aren't always accurate.I'm not a scientist so perhaps we need to rely on Phil! Even the scientists have different views about covid related things

2 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Its probably very difficult to identify that you have covid if you have been vaccinated because the symptoms are likely to be very mild but hopefully a test would prove one way or the other, though I realise the tests aren't always accurate.I'm not a scientist so perhaps we need to rely on Phil! Even the scientists have different views about covid related things

Exactly, so why bother with the test.?