Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?

seapals2

3 hours ago, TheGinBoy said:

Honestly, the paranoia on this site about cruises becoming "booze cruises" is hilarious.

A) People can make their vacation into whatever they wish.

B) You're all paying the same amount

C) You do you.

A) vacation?  
B) no we are not 

C) absolutely 

when did cruises become ‘booze cruises’?  Since the beginning !  Cruising has always been about the opulence of fine food and drink.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ardennais said:

But remember A) that other people can impact on your own enjoyment and  B) that’s not strictly true. No idea what C is supposed to mean. Personally, I’ve never seen anyone behaving badly on a cruise apart from a few old dears squabbling around lifts. 

I have (seen people behaving badly). I was on my first solo cruise on Ventura - about seven/eight years ago. There was a wedding party on board. The bride and groom were not in the first flush of youth and their guests even less so. I was taking a round the deck trot pre-dinner when I came upon the happy couple who were having an almighty drunken row. She threw her drink in his face, he slapped her, her father knocked him out cold, she punched her father and all of a sudden there was a tangle of bodies rolling around on the floor - and that was just the women! It was one of those situations you knew you shouldn't be watching but can't help yourself! Trust me, the sight of elderly veined legs and granny pants was a real appetite supressant. 

Anyway, after a fully blown fight that they all got involved in, smashed glasses, blood everywhere, there was a happy ending. After much attempted and ultimate restraint, all those involved were taken away, to the lock ups presumably, and we're put off in Barcelona the next day. Married bliss!

Have a great day everyone. Jane.x

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I have (seen people behaving badly). I was on my first solo cruise on Ventura - about seven/eight years ago. There was a wedding party on board. The bride and groom were not in the first flush of youth and their guests even less so. I was taking a round the deck trot pre-dinner when I came upon the happy couple who were having an almighty drunken row. She threw her drink in his face, he slapped her, her father knocked him out cold, she punched her father and all of a sudden there was a tangle of bodies rolling around on the floor - and that was just the women! It was one of those situations you knew you shouldn't be watching but can't help yourself! Trust me, the sight of elderly veined legs and granny pants was a real appetite supressant. 

Anyway, after a fully blown fight that they all got involved in, smashed glasses, blood everywhere, there was a happy ending. After much attempted and ultimate restraint, all those involved were taken away, to the lock ups presumably, and we're put off in Barcelona the next day. Married bliss!

Have a great day everyone. Jane.x

Sorry Jane, I know I shouldn’t, but I laughed out loud at your very descriptive story. I could imagine the sight.....🤣

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Sorry Jane, I know I shouldn’t, but I laughed out loud at your very descriptive story. I could imagine the sight.....🤣

Don't  Gill - it will put you off your breakfast! Jane.x

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Don't  Gill - it will put you off your breakfast! Jane.x

Luckily I had already had breakfast but that story did make me laugh and reminded me when I was my my first cruise. It was our honeymoon and there were a couple onboard getting married, unlike your couple they were in their youth and well she thought she looked the bees knees in a strapless very short wedding dress as she pranced around the ship getting more and more drunk and it appeared that with each drink she had the dress slide down but every soften came the jank up but it never quite bad it back to the start.

Finally she was completely out her head and her new hubby was trying to get her back to their cabin when she screamed that she wanted a dance so of she went to the center on a not very busy dance floor and few, I must say strange dance moves, you have guessed it, the dress was on the floor around her knees and not very much hidden from view. Her hubby covered her up and dragged her away.

The next evening she was going around everyone on the ship apologising for her behaviour and I think she stuck to soft drinks from then on.

Another night a lady in her mature years was sat at the bar drinking when she just passed out and feel backwards off the bad stool and we all felt her head hit the floor.

The moral of this is, if you want a booze cruise go on a Marella cruise.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

Luckily I had already had breakfast but that story did make me laugh and reminded me when I was my my first cruise. It was our honeymoon and there were a couple onboard getting married, unlike your couple they were in their youth and well she thought she looked the bees knees in a strapless very short wedding dress as she pranced around the ship getting more and more drunk and it appeared that with each drink she had the dress slide down but every soften came the jank up but it never quite bad it back to the start.

Finally she was completely out her head and her new hubby was trying to get her back to their cabin when she screamed that she wanted a dance so of she went to the center on a not very busy dance floor and few, I must say strange dance moves, you have guessed it, the dress was on the floor around her knees and not very much hidden from view. Her hubby covered her up and dragged her away.

The next evening she was going around everyone on the ship apologising for her behaviour and I think she stuck to soft drinks from then on.

Another night a lady in her mature years was sat at the bar drinking when she just passed out and feel backwards off the bad stool and we all felt her head hit the floor.

The moral of this is, if you want a booze cruise go on a Marella cruise.

I beg to differ, I have been on over 20 Marella cruises and over 20 P&O cruises and have seen just as much drunken behaviour on P&O

On 4/24/2021 at 6:22 PM, Beckett said:

I have booked a Staycation! Thanks to another poster on here (can't remember her CC name but you know who you are Jane), advising me of the NHS discounts MSC were offering, and the fact that MSC are taking children, I decided to bite the bullet. So, I've got an August 7 day cruise in a Suite, with a massive 35% discount for all 3 of us. I'm so thrilled and excited and the girls are already packed! 

I know I shouldn't be posting about MSC in the P&O area but you're my friends and I just wanted to let you know. Best wishes all. Jane. X

and thanks to you I've just booked one for myself and my daughter  - she's really looking forward to a  break after working so hard the last year and the NHS discount is very generous, hope you have a lovely cruise 🙂 

• Like 1

I have caught up with posts having been away on a staycation in the Lake District. With regard to staff from India, RCI have stated that no staff from there, whether already in the UK or en-route will be allowed to board their ships to work. All assignments for staff from India are being cancelled temporarily. Any staff already in hotels pending joining a ship will be provided accommodation under quarantine requirements till further notice.

In another change MSC have extended some 4 night 'staycations' into 7 days at no additional cost to those booked on these, including extending the included beverage packages at no further cost too.

As for the technology discussion, there are always alternatives to the 'general' new way of expecting everyone to have a smart phone. I work on Test & Trace Mobile units, and it is generally expected that everyone receives a QR code when they make their appointment. However, when we check them in upon entry to the site, and when later collecting their tests and entering the details into the system, if they only received a text message for instance (no smart phone) or just had the appointment confirmed via calling 119 (in England) we can locate them by alternative methods, so a smartphone isn't needed.

As for ordering food and drink at a pub/restaurant, yes most have apps to use on a smartphone. However, I can confirm that all the places we visited last week (outdoors of course) were all flexible if you a) didn't have a smartphone, or b) hadn't downloaded the app or c) couldn't get the app to work, they would take your order for you. So there should be no reason for those who don't have access to a smartphone to be excluded.

Edited by peteukmcr
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, swimming with spaniels said:

and thanks to you I've just booked one for myself and my daughter  - she's really looking forward to a  break after working so hard the last year and the NHS discount is very generous, hope you have a lovely cruise 🙂 

Fantastic! I'm so glad to hear my post encouraged you to do the same as me. I can't take all the credit though because it was thanks to another CC member that I was alerted to the discount. If you've previously been on a P&O cruise, MSC will also do a status match and you will receive a further 5% discount. Were you aware of that? I hope you and your daughter have a wonderful cruise too. Best wishes. Jane.x 

1 hour ago, peteukmcr said:

I have caught up with posts having been away on a staycation in the Lake District. With regard to staff from India, RCI have stated that no staff from there, whether already in the UK or en-route will be allowed to board their ships to work. All assignments for staff from India are being cancelled temporarily. Any staff already in hotels pending joining a ship will be provided accommodation under quarantine requirements till further notice.

In another change MSC have extended some 4 night 'staycations' into 7 days at no additional cost to those booked on these, including extending the included beverage packages at no further cost too.

Arrggg!! Typical.  I was going to book one of these MSC short cruises, not paying what they want for 7 nights now though. Same as the disney cruises from Newcastle, shockingly high prices. 

5 hours ago, Beckett said:

Fantastic! I'm so glad to hear my post encouraged you to do the same as me. I can't take all the credit though because it was thanks to another CC member that I was alerted to the discount. If you've previously been on a P&O cruise, MSC will also do a status match and you will receive a further 5% discount. Were you aware of that? I hope you and your daughter have a wonderful cruise too. Best wishes. Jane.x 

Thank you - yes the booking lady told me this, I have crown and anchor so have sent the status department an email (it didn't work on the website - but she said it probably wouldn't!)  🙂 x

• Like 1

7 hours ago, davemorton said:

Arrggg!! Typical.  I was going to book one of these MSC short cruises, not paying what they want for 7 nights now though. Same as the disney cruises from Newcastle, shockingly high prices. 

I thought all UK waters Staycation cruises were expensive until I enquired in South Devon for a week self catering in a caravan or whatever fancy name they call them now and was quoted £1200  for 7nts for 2 people.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I thought all UK waters Staycation cruises were expensive until I enquired in South Devon for a week self catering in a caravan or whatever fancy name they call them now and was quoted £1200  for 7nts for 2 people.

I,ve managed to get a nice apartment(my sister is there at the moment and confirms that its great) in Totnes, Devon for next week for £400 though the price does increase in the summer

• Like 1

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

People are paying well over 50% more than that for 3 nights on Disney and thats not a suite. 

Wow, just checked a balcony cabin on Disney for the exact same dates (20th August) as we’re booked on Virgin Scarlet Lady (£998 total for 2 with $200 per cabin obc including grats). Disney Magic £2082 before gratuity for obstructed view!