The Daily for Sunday Mar 21, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Flower Day, Fragrance Day, and World Poetry Day

"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring. - David Bowie"

Imagination is more important than knowledge. - A. Einstein

Meal suggestion for today - Buttermilk Fried Chicken

Drink of the Day - Gimlet

Wine of the day - Michelini i Mufatto 2018 GY Malbec-Cabernet Franc (Tupungato) Mendoza Province

Port of the Day - Naha Japan

At Sea English Channel
Oosterdam Destination Brest FR eta 3/22

At Sea Mediterranian Sea
Volendam Destination Corfu GR eta 3/26

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination La Paz MX eta 3/24

Brest FR
Eurodam Dry Dock

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Noordam Anchorage
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Port Everglades
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Zaandam Anchorage

0321Tor.thumb.png.a1eef77eac43fdd5412c3eb394b976a6.png

0321USA.thumb.png.7ccd536f92927148dafd4559a9aa1f19.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the sailaway day Daily, Rich.  I see a certain pattern to the days today; love both flowers and fragrence, as well as poetry.  Great quotes by both Bowie and Einstein.  Nieuw Statendam is due to be docked today, 7 to 5.  I'll check my records but don't think Naha is among the ports I visited on my 2017 Grand Asia.  Buttermilk Fried Chicken sounds very nice.  My alternative is Chilled Pear, Cucumber, and Melon Gazpacho, Oven Roasted Chicken, and Cherry Garcia Ice Cream as served on MS Zaandam March 21, 2017, the day I boarded her in Buenos Aires.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/dishes21.jpg

Today's care list:

Have not heard from @Gsel since September 20

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH in rehab and facing chemo

Cunnorl’s BIL hospitalized and declining

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

13th Anniversary of Vmax1700 discovering HAL

Garlictown in Maui

Nieuw Statendam in Everglade

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good Sunday morning everyone.  Thanks for the Daily.

Great collection of days.  Love flowers and their fragrance (usually).  But I find some people put too much cologne on when they go out - I guess wearing a mask makes that easier to handle 🙂.

Interesting quotes too.

Both dinner suggestions are chicken, and both sound good. 

A gimlet would be wonderful.  Hope the wine is great too.

I've never been to Japan, so I'll be extra happy to see pictures.  Thanks.

Prayers and cheers!

Stay safe.

• Like 18

Good morning Rich and a blessed Sunday to you and our Daily-ites. Rich looks like you have another squatter named Boots? Looks like a sweet guy. Congratulations!

I worked from sun up to sun down yesterday and the day got away from me. I just read yesterday's Daily and it looks like y'all had fun.

We love flowers and fragrances although Allen is allergic to perfumes and colognes. His head gets stuffed up and looks like he's in tears! I love fried chicken and would like Roy's gazpacho as an appetizer please.

Sending love and hugs to my sisters Ann and @DeeniEncinitas Denise I think we have either a very fat hummingbird or a pregnant one. It is at the feeder all day! I moved all the plants, potting soil and containers out to the back to start planting. Moved the chairs and tables out and cushions. By then it was Happy Hour.. 

We cleaned and moved the bird feeders while the cardinals waited impatiently on the fence. Still waiting on a date for plumber to install gas lines and pergola is still on order.. 

Just started to play Mahjongg again and I'm teaching once a week. Nearly all of our neighborhood has had vaccinations but we still meet outside for now.

We're supposed to get our little golf cart tomorrow. I think we're naming her "Wee go" but I like "Oui go" 

Thanks Roy for the camera heads up. Going to watch it now.

Prayers and Cheers

• Like 21

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

What a great collection of days.  I’ll happily celebrate flowers and the fragrance they bless us with.  Poetry is a perfect match for the day.

8945E9CD-5612-40C2-BF75-73232D83F0B6.jpeg.b75a249bb16c6dbdd23deb78df1082d4.jpeg

Love both the quotes by Bowie and Einstein and the attitude they exude.

That chicken sounds like a great recommendation for tonight.

A gimlet would be great on a blue hulled beauty for me while DH would be delighted with that Malbec.

Naha Japan - we had great plans for that port and I had it well researched for our cruise last fall.  Needless to say, those plans had to be cancelled so I look forward to others’ first hand experiences.

Rich so glad to see the new one is settling in.  In honour of the occasion:

1167CC36-D10D-4DEA-9130-95F8E60A43D9.jpeg.bd4ea55d944b18642333597ea01b7031.jpeg

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list and for those that need them and at big 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone and remember

ADD6A063-87E3-42E6-9607-CECDDDFFF9FC.thumb.jpeg.d4694cf2db80b44a9073f5fed7ce8d94.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 35
  • Haha 1

Good Morning All, thank you for the daily report.  It is nice seeing the Nieuw Statendam in port again.  The meal suggestion sounds good but for another day.  We plan on going out for dinner today.  
We did some serious spring cleaning on the first floor yesterday.   The dust from cleaning bothered DH .  While I consider it a job well done Zander was disappointed that we didn’t find his favorite orange ball.  Amelia, aka she who must be obeyed, liked the temporary location of the cat tree while cleaning the living room.

image.thumb.png.bc872e3f4b944d5b7698378c62c44877.png

• Like 30

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Today’s combo of days just reeks of Spring, rebirth & life! I do need to be careful around some fragrances, but oddly enough Florida has helped me in the allergy department. I was sure the longer growing season would make them worse. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Hoping that all is well with @Gsel. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters.  Great quotes! Pass on the drink, but the meal sounds good! More rain is expected today, but hopefully the wind will start to calm down.  My jean legs were soaked from the sideways blowing rain yesterday, and it took two big towels to get Bindi dry. But she loves being towel dried, so I am lucky! Nothing special planned for today, though I am fixin to start planning to begin working on my taxes. Even though we have an extra month, I know that will go fast. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

This sounds like a red blend I need to try. I enjoy really smooth Malbecs, so the blend should help eliminate any “rough edges”. Several online distributors with prices starting at $27.50. You might find it for less locally. 

94 points Wine Enthusiast

Outer quote mark A pure and direct nose is highly exact and confident, with aromas of black fruit that are crisp and clean. A tight, juicy palate is balanced by ample roundness, while this delivers high-quality berry and plum flavors that are familiar to fans of Argentine Malbec. This is 60% Malbec and 40% Cabernet Franc. *#34 of the Top 100 of 2020*  Inner quote mark 
92 points Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

Outer quote mark The 2018 GY is a new blend of Malbec and Cabernet Franc from different vineyards within Gualtallary. The varieties fermented together with some full clusters in old and large oak vats and matured in used barriques for 12 months. It has a clean and expressive nose with a mixture of wild herbs and flowers, rockrose, thyme, lavender—very much about the landscape of the place—and with a medium-bodied palate and very fine tannins. There is no trace of oak here; there is great balance and very good freshness, supple flavors, good definition and purity. (LG) Inner quote mark 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23

Good morning, everyone!   

I guess I slept in today.  I looked at the clock at 6:00 and said no.  The next thing I knew it was 7:30!

The pool was wonderful yesterday.  The instructor is really good and I thought about making Saturdays one of my regular days to go, but there are a lot more people there on Saturdays.  I've noticed that I get really bothered when people are too close to me now.  Then I wondered how long we will hang on to some of our pandemic behaviors and feelings like that once we're all vaccinated.  Going to the pool is the only pre-pandemic activity that I have resumed.  

Today's meal does sound good and I love fried chicken, just don't eat much of it because of calories.  Always fighting those!   

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/buttermilk-fried-chicken-with-gravy/

Buttermilk Fried Chicken.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Today's sunrise is from my 2014 Crystal Symphony/Serenity/Amsterdam combination Bali to Singapore to Cape Town to Ft. Lauderdale.  On March 21 Crystal Serenity was at sea from Mauritius to Durban:

dawn0321.jpg

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good  morning. The  weather  people  have promised  us  at  least  sixty  degree  temps  today. I  am  going  to  visit  my  best  friend  two  towns  away. We  will  sit  on  her  porch  without  masks as  we  are  both  fully  vaccinated. I usually  visit  once  a  week and  during  the  winter  we  walked  together  in  her  neighborhood  in  all  sorts  of  weather.

DH  and  I  went  together(twice!) to  a  produce  market  in  our  neighborhood  this  week! I  am  so  grateful  to pick  out  my  own  produce at  last. We  live  in a  heavily  populated  area and  our  supermarkets are  just  full  of  people  all  the  time. Fortunately , the  grocery  delivery  services  are  reliable with  many  stores  to  choose  from. I  am slowly  working  my  way  back  to  doing  my  own  shopping.

The  days should  be  celebrated  and  I  appreciate  the  quotes,recipes and  funnies. I  have  not  been  to  Japan but  would  love  to  hear  about  it.         Terry

• Like 23

Good morning.  Very gloomy outside this morning and 55 degrees.  Love flowers but not fragrance's.  Most make me sneeze.  Unlike @cat shepardFlorida has made my allergies worse.  The pollen and dust have me stuffed up all the time.  But for the warm weather and sunshine I'll suffer.  The two quotes are great!  I've printed the meal recipe, thanks Debbie, and will save for a later time.  Roy, thank you for the reminder that our blue hulled beauty is in Ft. Lauderdale today.

Prayers for all of us, and toasts to our celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Gimlet:

Ingredients. 2 1/2 ounces gin. 1/2 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed. 1/2 ounce simple syrup. Garnish: lime wheel.

Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 8.16.44 AM.png

• Like 24

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Today's special days sound great - I love flowers (white daisies, in particular), fragrance (haven't worn any for I can't remember how long), and poetry is like looking into someone's soul.  March 21st is also the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, which given what's happening in so many parts of the world, is of particular importance.

@richwmn - I love your little Boots; I hope he becomes a regular at your feeding station and realizes he's among friends there.

We've been to Japan a couple of times on land visits, but have not been to Naha; I'll be interested to learn about the port.

I love today's menu suggestion - it used to be a standard on HAL's menu at lunch on embarkation day.  I always looked forward to ordering it, and was happy to be able to have it twice if we were on a B2B.  Sadly, the menu was changed a couple of years ago, and I haven't seen it since.  Today it's looking like we might be having burgers on the barbecue, especially since we cleared off the patio and are now able to access it without going up to our hips in snow.  Burgers and salad are going to be on our table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Toasting all on the happy list with our raised glasses tonight.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 22

7 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Today it's looking like we might be having burgers on the barbecue, especially since we cleared off the patio and are now able to access it without going up to our hips in snow.

BBQ - what a great idea.!!!  I am so jealous.  Unfortunately, the snow is too deep piled up against our gate from the plow so I can’t move mine out yet even if I do clean off the deck.  Hopefully we keep the sun and some warmth and the pile of snow will disappear quickly 🤞 

• Like 17

Good morning everyone. I love the quotes and collection of days. I love flowers, but am now allergic to perfume. I find less and less people wearing it, but when indoors and someone does, I become a mess and have trouble breathing.

The weather man has promised 61/degrees today so we will visit outside with our daughter and her house or ours.

Must say that ship looks beautiful sitting in the harbor in Florida today. Wonder if we’ll ever get back to florida again. The process of renting an apartment is daunting when you can’t see the place in person the way we did every year. Who knows what next winter will even look like.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 20