CLIA calls on CDC to lift US Cruise Ban

kdr69

5 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Thank you....I think?🤔

I don't do FB on the PC I am using right now, so it is a pain to look at a FB link when not logged in, etc, because FB keeps asking you to log in or create an account.  I prefer direct links to the original story.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

CLIA isn't wrong. The complete inaction by the CDC is a dereliction of duty and I can only think of two reasons why they have not taken any steps toward rolling out new guidelines.

1. They want to break the cruise lines, or

2. They are hoping the vaccine program will allow them to lift the order or not renew it effective November 1, saving themselves a lot of time and work.

Being skeptical of conspiracy theories (and being very familiar with government agencies and their reluctance to give themselves extra work), I'm hoping for option 2.

• Like 7

Just now, ProgRockCruiser said:

I don't do FB on the PC I am using right now, so it is a pain to look at a FB link when not logged in, etc, because FB keeps asking you to log in or create an account.  I prefer direct links to the original story.

ahhh gotcha sorry i just read it on Cruise Critics FB page and didnt see it on the main page here so i copied and pasted.  Will endeavor to search harder for next time. Thanks!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kdr69 said:

ahhh gotcha sorry i just read it on Cruise Critics FB page and didnt see it on the main page here so i copied and pasted.  Will endeavor to search harder for next time. Thanks!

No sweat, I figured it was something like that.

I try to share FB-linked stuff only within FB, and get a different (or more direct) source if sharing outside of FB for this reason.

Day late and a dollar short. Cruise industry should have hired some big name lobbyists months ago.

That video of the AK senator speaking with the head of CDC was as discouraging as they come.

Sadly cruising in the US is based in two huge red states (FL and TX) so I think the CDC will keep kicking this can down the road as long as they can. Probably until Nov.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

Sadly cruising in the US is based in two huge red states (FL and TX)

as well as Louisiana, New York, South Carolina, Washington, California 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

CLIA isn't wrong. The complete inaction by the CDC is a dereliction of duty and I can only think of two reasons why they have not taken any steps toward rolling out new guidelines.

1. They want to break the cruise lines, or

2. They are hoping the vaccine program will allow them to lift the order or not renew it effective November 1, saving themselves a lot of time and work.

Being skeptical of conspiracy theories (and being very familiar with government agencies and their reluctance to give themselves extra work), I'm hoping for option 2.

The new CDC has only existed for 60 days or so - I imagine cruising and many other items are on the list.

I think one thing the CDC is waiting on is to see if Americans can follow simple instructions and stay safe on cruise lines without degenerating. Europeans are proving that they are capable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kdr69 said:

as well as Louisiana, New York, South Carolina, Washington, California 

Sure, CA and WA have larger ports. The other parts I would consider small or at least not having a lot of home ported ships. Two ships in N.O. One or two ships in Charleston.

But yes, ships are in most large costal cities.

1 minute ago, pc_load_letter said:

Sure, CA and WA have larger ports. The other parts I would consider small or at least not having a lot of home ported ships. Two ships in N.O. One or two ships in Charleston.

But yes, ships are in most large costal cities.

There are more cruise lines than just Carnival.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mondello said:

So if Carnival cancels my Oct. 17 Glory cruise, will I get OBC to rebook?

So far it's happened every cancellation. Could it change, yes, but probably not as its pushing prices about the same amt higher imo. I expect my sept cruise to get cancelled. I just hope when cso expires nov 1st cruising can resume. 

The CLIA does not need lobbyists, they need lawyers and the state attorney generals to get an order to compel cessation of the obnoxious interference with one industry and states rights. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sure the CDC has bigger fish to fry than catering to a single industry. 

I can't wait to get back on a cruise ship, but I'm getting more and more skeptical that it's going to happen this year because of all the idiots I see who refuse to take simple precautions such as wearing a mask in stores.  Add to that the entitled spring breakers who are no doubt spreading the virus, certain governors who put political interests over what medical experts tell them, and the fact that the new Covid variants spread far easier than the original and it's no wonder that the number of infections are going up again.  I'm beginning to become very concerned that my December cruise isn't going to happen.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Looks like you got your wish and the no sail order ending date got emphasized..seems a lot were u aware of the nov 1st end date. Did more harm than good to the stocks.

I was aware but to me they still should have been keeping things moving forward regardless of an end date.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Moviela said:

The CLIA does not need lobbyists, they need lawyers and the state attorney generals to get an order to compel cessation of the obnoxious interference with one industry and states rights. 

How about the fact that Covid has killed well over a half million Americans already, and that the new variants taking hold in this country spread far easier than the original strain?  If people would get their head out of the sand and realize that this virus is a serious health threat maybe we'd get back to cruising sooner.

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

"According to the CDC, the CSO will remain in effect until Nov. 1, 2021, as the agency works on a way to return to passenger cruising in a phased approach to mitigate the risk of spreading COVID-19."

Are they though?  Its really not that complicated is it?  I mean every other industry seems to be operating just fine with far less stringent protocols than as suggested by the Cruise Industry.

• Like 5