Alaska Itinerary Help!

nikkiw60

We are going to book a week long Alaska cruise out of Seattle in September 2023, booking now to use of FCC’s.

Which would be the best itinerary of these 3, we want to see as much as possible and flying in from U.K. we can’t take a longer cruise re work and doggy care. We are looking at September re wildlife and sealife.

8E2129E1-B2DD-4B9A-95EF-918FF1E2480C.png

0096383B-E200-428C-9ECA-815B5DD4984F.png

D428F878-5323-470E-98AA-A977E5D8C147.png

If it is your first trip to Alaska then I think the first itinerary is the best. It includes all three from Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau as well as Glacier Bay.

When I get back to Alaska I will likely try one of the alternative itineraries, but for the first timer I think that you really need to visit all of those.

• Like 2

I agree with Keith.  Cruising through Glacier Bay is an experience not to be missed.

Hopefully you can add a day or so to enjoy Seattle.  So many things to do and see.  Going to the top of Seattle Space Needle (built for the 1962 World's Fair) would be one of the m any things to do.

Mandy 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nikkiw60 said:

September 2023, booking now to use of FCC’s.

Nikki, with your FCCs, my understanding is that it must be booked by Dec. 2021 and used prior to Dec. 2022. 

Has NCL changed the dates regarding this policy? 

Here's the latest info re: Suspended cruises. https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/suspended-sailings

Don't mean to burst your bubble.  

36 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Nikki, with your FCCs, my understanding is that it must be booked by Dec. 2021 and used prior to Dec. 2022. 

Here's the latest info re: Suspended cruises. https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/suspended-sailings

Well that puts paid to that then! So probably will be £600 down the Swanny!

38 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Ours isn’t a suspended cruise credit does this apply to all FCC?

Just now, All-ready2cruise said:

Well, other cruise credits have a 1 year allowance. Do you have a letter, giving a specific date?

They say Cruisenext valid from 10/04/2018 to 09/30/2022.

Aw, so these are different. Not FCCs at all, with the cruise next credits you can ask NCL to extend the expiration date.  They will do that, no problem.  it'll be good until your date.  

Glad to see it'll work out for you. 

You may need to book the cruise when you contact them though.  

Edited by All-ready2cruise
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Aw, so these are different. Not FCCs at all, with the cruise next credits you can ask NCL to extend the expiration date.  They will do that, no problem.  it'll be good until your date.  

Glad to see it'll work out for you. 

You may need to book the cruise when you contact them though.  

We do have a FFC also which we will end up not using.

2 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Too bad. Is there anyone else you might be able sell or even gift the FCCs to? 

See, I knew I was bursting your bubble 😞

It’s £180. Will try to use against one we have booked For June next year.

I cruised Alaska in September on the Norwegian Sun. Loved it. Ports were cheaper, less crowded, friendly. Weather was generally cool, not cold. The ocean was nowhere near freezing and glaciers don't notice the difference between August and September. I'm planning another Alaska cruise even later in September. You want warm, go to Mexico in September. You want a mild arctic adventure, go to Alaska.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

I would rethink cruising Alaska in September. You're at the end of the season. Things will be closing down. Glaciers might not be accessible. Weather is unpredictable.

I love going to Alaska in September.  Yes, it can be a little chilly.

Depending on when you go in September, you might be able to see the Northern Lights.  They are beautiful.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nikkiw60 said:

We are going to book a week long Alaska cruise out of Seattle in September 2023, booking now to use of FCC’s.

Which would be the best itinerary of these 3, we want to see as much as possible and flying in from U.K. we can’t take a longer cruise re work and doggy care. We are looking at September re wildlife and sealife.

It is Easter time - don't put all your eggs in one of those three basket choices -

You are planning (booking) a cruise over a year and half away -

You have 7 days to play with perhaps a couple of travel days either way -

Consider taking a one-way 7 cruise either north or southbound*** Anchorage to 

Vancouver or the reverse - 

*** this would be the best for return to the UK with non-stop flights out of Vancouver -

Seattle has NS trips also 

Getting to Anchorage is not all that difficult and even the return.

Doing the north/south trips gives you a bit more of Alaska and Canada to see than the

Seattle round-trips - trade off missing Victoria as a port call -

Just an after thought about using those eggs wisely - check your airfare options too !

Do NOT miss the train ride from Skagway.  It's like a whole second vacation.  I also wouldn't miss Glacier bay.  There's a reason that they sell you a glacier shore excursion in Juneau before the "real" (included) glacier show in Glacier bay.  After seeing the second (twice), I'll never pay for the first one again.

4 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

It is Easter time - don't put all your eggs in one of those three basket choices -

You are planning (booking) a cruise over a year and half away -

You have 7 days to play with perhaps a couple of travel days either way -

Consider taking a one-way 7 cruise either north or southbound*** Anchorage to 

Vancouver or the reverse - 

*** this would be the best for return to the UK with non-stop flights out of Vancouver -

Seattle has NS trips also 

Getting to Anchorage is not all that difficult and even the return.

Doing the north/south trips gives you a bit more of Alaska and Canada to see than the

Seattle round-trips - trade off missing Victoria as a port call -

Just an after thought about using those eggs wisely - check your airfare options too !

We are looking at the one with Glacier Bay. We are under the impression September would be good for seeing bears and whales. Also as I said in my original post the one way trip in not an option re messing with internal flights and time away from home re doggy daycare.

20 minutes ago, nikkiw60 said:

Next question best deck, location and balcony cabin type? Looks like will be the Encore. Thanks!

Very much a personal decision. In Alaska I would suggest getting a balcony if you can. It’s nice on Glacier Bay day.

As for deck, it depends a bit on where you will be spending your time. We tend to use the public areas on 6,7 & 8 more than the pool deck so stay lower. Others go high for the opposite reason.

The balconies are a decent size on the Encore I think (not been on it myself, but they corrected the Breakaway/Getaway mistake on the later ships), but I would still consider a larger or angled balcony if available as they give you more room at not much extra cost.

The first cabins I look at are either aft ones or the mini suites with large balcony on deck 8. Sometimes they are not all that much more expensive than standard rooms.

The Encore also has the Observation Lounge on deck 15, a great place to sit and watch for whales and bears.  It has lots of comfortable seating and a bar as well.  

I haven't cruised on the Encore yet either but I did sail on the Joy Oct. 2019. I had an angled balcony on deck 15, very convenient if you like to stretch your legs a bit.  Not disputing what @KeithJenner says at all, just adding a little more info.  

Edited by All-ready2cruise