CPAP machine requests

Nanatravel

2 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

I couldn't find an emoji for slapping my head or I'd have used it. I can't believe I didn't think of that! The ship desalinates it's water from the ocean. Thanks fellow RRT. 

I wondered if you were in the biz. I've been retired for almost 10 years. Forgot almost everything I used to do w/o thinking about it.

7 minutes ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Recently ordered distilled water on my personalizer  for a couple of upcoming Princess cruises (fingers crossed) and no charge.  HAL charges $2 per gallon for distilled water.  ☹

As I noted above...just use the free practically distilled tap water. It won't cause any problems.

All of the above - bring European/UK to North American adapters and extension cords and multi-outlets since there are no extra US outlets near the bed on Royal class.  We've been in a suite and mini-suite and have always had to run cords all over.  If you can find it: use Gaffers tape instead of duct tape - no residue - to tape down cords.

10 hours ago, Papa Yoda said:

All of the above - bring European/UK to North American adapters and extension cords and multi-outlets since there are no extra US outlets near the bed on Royal class.  We've been in a suite and mini-suite and have always had to run cords all over.  If you can find it: use Gaffers tape instead of duct tape - no residue - to tape down cords.

Thank you to everyone for all of your input.  I'll have to go to our local ACE Hardware to see if I can find that duct tape! I found the forms I needed and have filled them out and sent them into Princess.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2021 at 10:35 PM, Nanatravel said:

Especially on the Enchanted, is there a plug for a CPAP under or near the bed?  Is there a form to request CPAP supplies to operate our machine like Distilled Water and an extension cord if needed?  I have not been successful finding a Special Needs form.

I year or two ago I sent an email to customerrelations@princesscruises.com and they replied promptly. They okayed my request for our next two booked cruises. I'd asked for an extension cord and distilled water also. Both were in our cabin when we entered for the first time.

However, NavyVeteran above posted another method to make your needs known which could be even more efficient. We Navy veterans tend to be highly intelligent and resourceful individuals ya'know. 😉

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4

On 4/7/2021 at 6:57 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

As I noted above...just use the free practically distilled tap water. It won't cause any problems.

We will try that next cruise as we will not be able to take a gallon bottle on the plane. The Nov transatlantic though is 15 days and we will be in a car on arrival so we will get the gallon bottle on that one.

10 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

We will try that next cruise as we will not be able to take a gallon bottle on the plane. The Nov transatlantic though is 15 days and we will be in a car on arrival so we will get the gallon bottle on that one.

@gmjc2 You don't need to take your own water for any Princess cruise. Just ask and they'll supply all you need. The ship tap water is perfectly acceptable if the steward should be unable to bring you water or if you don't want to bother with finding a place to store a gallon bottle in the tight spaces in most cabins.

32 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

@gmjc2 You don't need to take your own water for any Princess cruise. Just ask and they'll supply all you need. The ship tap water is perfectly acceptable if the steward should be unable to bring you water or if you don't want to bother with finding a place to store a gallon bottle in the tight spaces in most cabins.

Not Princess. Our cruises on P were cancelled. 

2 hours ago, Kamloops50 said:

I ended up a small CPAP machine for travelling. My normal one is to big and heavy. I got the Res Med Mini for travelling. You can even buy an airline approved battery to run it if on a plane .

I take my normal CPAP machine. The only difference is that I use the original water tub instead of the modified one with a hose to the SoClean that I leave at home.

Although it is somewhat bulky and heavy, it goes in its own separate carry-on bag. However, airlines allow this as an extra carry-on that does not count against the normal carry-on limits.

• 9 months later...
On 4/9/2021 at 9:25 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

You've made this statement a couple of times in this thread, and it is not quite correct, so I'll jump in here.  While I agree that using ship's tap water is fine for CPAP machines, for short periods, there are two caveats:  one, that you will likely need to demineralize the machine when you get home, and two, and more importantly, the residual chlorine in the tap water should be dissipated before use in something that aerosolizes the water.  Fill a pitcher or the water reservoir with water, and let stand, open, for a few hours to allow the chlorine to dissipate.

Next, about the water.  While much of the water on ships is distilled from sea water, and is distilled water, much isn't.  Some is made by Reverse Osmosis watermakers, and this water quality, while still better than most municipality's supplies, is not considered to be in the "distilled" quality for machinery.  Next, depending on how the ship's itinerary is, water is taken on in port, and this is definitely not distilled.  So, the water coming from the tap in your cabin may be a blend of the three sources.  Further, all water made onboard, whether distilled or RO is sent through a "rehardening filter", to neutralize the natural acidic nature of distilled water, and this introduces calcium carbonate to the water (the active ingredient of Tums), as well as the prior mentioned chlorine.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Izzybaar said:

Does anyone know if Sky Princess has an outlet by the bed in a mini suite?

I know that on the balcony cabins on the  Enchanted Princess and the Caribbean princess  there is an European outlet behind the head of the bed that DH uses to plug in his CPAP. I am almost positive the Sky has one too. DH has not had to use an extension cord in quite some time since he found this outlet. It would seem that there should be an outlet in the mini suite also. Before finding this outlet, he would use a short extension cord in an outlet by the desk

I always put in a request for distilled water when booking. Often have to ask the cabin steward on day 1, but it has always ben there at bed time.

And I bring an extension cord that I plug in before bed time, and unplug it in the morning so that nobody trips over the cord....

I never have a problem getting distilled water from Princess. You request it in advance on the Cruise Personalizer. Ask the cabin steward if it's not already there.

Generally, they have a European plug to plug in a lamp beside the bed. I take an adapter with two outlets. I unplug the lamp, plug in the adapter, plug the lamp back in to the adapter, and plug my CPAP in to the adapter. This can be left there the entire cruise, and I believe it is easier and safer than running an extension cord to another plug. This requires that your CPAP be dual voltage (since it is a 220v plug) - it probably is but you need to check it to make sure.

8 minutes ago, sunneesmile said:

We are going top be on the Emerald soon.  What kind of adapter do I need for a CPAP to use the plug that is near or behind the bed?  Really don;t want a cord running across the floor if I can do any thing else for power.

We just used a basic European adapter plug and ran  6 foot extension cord behind bed to night stand....worked great......1275448872_f2b152ba-9759-4877-9aa4-ca91a1d9213e._CR00970300_PT0_SX970__.jpg.bded9c8bf863ffbef1b594e9e5732507.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, PrincessLuver said:

We just used a basic European adapter plug and ran  6 foot extension cord behind bed to night stand....worked great......1275448872_f2b152ba-9759-4877-9aa4-ca91a1d9213e._CR00970300_PT0_SX970__.jpg.bded9c8bf863ffbef1b594e9e5732507.jpg

Thx.

Some people have mention a dual adapter so the light on the bedside table can also be plugged in. Is the table lap plugged into the socket under the bed?  

3 minutes ago, sunneesmile said:

Thx.

Some people have mention a dual adapter so the light on the bedside table can also be plugged in. Is the table lap plugged into the socket under the bed?  

We were in a mini suite on the Majestic and I believe the (L) side of the bed my wife likes to sleep on had a plug by the lamp.  I did not see what the lamps plugged into behind the night stands.  You can see little outlet behind left lamp.  Not sure how it is in other size cabins.

images-1.jpg.3c97ce436d9aa97925aa4cfb66606dbd.jpg

12 minutes ago, bejw said:

I never had to use an adapter before on a cruise, but also have never been on the Princess line before. Is this something that I will need to plug in my clap machine? 

Not necessarily....on many cabins on Princess ships outlets are very limited....often there is a European socket on the back wall behind where the bed is....some people use an adapter there to have another outlet source....

1 hour ago, sunneesmile said:

Thx.

I always use a dual adapter. That way, you can plug the 220v lamp back in to the adapter and also plug in your CPAP.

DH started out using an extension cord for his CPCAP - always brought some type of multiple outlet cord to have enough outlets to charge everything. Then he found the European outlet behind the bed and so far no need to bring an extension cord for the CPAP. The Enchanted Princess is the first ship that had a 2 plug-in outlet  behind the bed so we were able to use the bed side lamp. When we lived in Germany,  we collected several adapters so we could use our American lamps, etc.   nothing fancy like the one pictured above.  We also bRing  extras to use in the European outlets by the desk