Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

2 minutes ago, ammthm said:

Thanks, Sue!  Guess I won't switch to that one - lol.   Might be lots of folks left on the ship those days.  Glad I love 'sea days'!  Hope the spa is open!

Spa pretty much booked up on sea days, and at many other times.   And no couples times.  Wanted to do the cranberry scrub thing with DW 🙂

1 minute ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Spa pretty much booked up on sea days, and at many other times.   And no couples times.  Wanted to do the cranberry scrub thing with DW 🙂

Don’t know about the new ships but they never did couples massages on the ships we have been on.  Hope they have a better supply of liquor than anything else so far. 

20 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Unfortunately, ID Now is an isothermal NAAT test, not a PCR test.

This is from University of Texas:

http://sites.utexas.edu/melamed-lab/blog/covid-diagnositics/

Test Name Manufacturer Notes Sensitivity Specificity  
ID NOW Abbott Diagnostics Scarborough, Inc. -Uses isothermal nucleic acid amplification technology instead of PCR, eliminating constraint of thermal cycling. 
-Detects the RdRp gene
-Detects positive results in 5 minutes, and negative results in 13.
100% (30/30) 100% (30/30)

THE ID NOW IS A PCR TEST!!!! YOU ARE MISINTERPRETING THIS ARTICLE.  CALL WALGREENS AND SPEAK TO A PHARMACIST.  How do I know?  Because it is NOT AN ANTIGEN TEST AND IT IS NOT AN ANTIBODY TEST.  THERE ARE NO OTHER TYPES!!!!! 

Pretty hard to misinterpret this:

“ID NOWAbbott Diagnostics Scarborough, Inc.-Uses isothermal nucleic acid amplification technology instead of PCR,”

ID Now is an isothermal test, of which there are several kinds.  These detect viral dna, like PCR.  But they are not PCR.  Abbott is very careful not to mention PCR in regards to ID Now in any of their communications.

But all this is likely moot for anyone flying into Bermuda on embarkation day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stempy said:

Under Guest Information on My Viking Journey is a drop down where health survey will be posted.

We are flying Jet Blue from Boston. 
Airline requires Covid test on return, but still researching if test is required on departure. 
Supervisor did not mention Covid test needed for airline departure .Guess it depends on the individual airline.

we are also on the Jet Blue flight out of Boston. We were told that we need PCR (only) test within 3 days of the flight. Bermuda would no accept an ABBOTT MOLECULAR TEST that our Dr. here in Cohasset would give us. The Bermuda web site says if travel is after June5 you must have test within 3 days. Also the Viking TA just told me we would be charged $75.00 per person when we fill out their form they will send us.. which is to cover the arrival Bermuda test.

Finely booked the excursion by calling Viking directly. The web site kept going down. 

Hoping to see you soon

Hi neighbor! We live in Plymouth. So glad that Jet Blue offers a nonstop from Boston. Delta did in the past but dropped the route. Flight is only a couple of hours so hope to be on the ship  shortly after arrival. Right in time for lunch at the World Cafe.

I am very relieved that Viking is handling all arrangements including  pre/ post testing and Authorization Forms.Timeframe was not possible with testing. 
Viking’s concern is that passengers are all fully vaccinated.

Hope to meet you on board!

40 minutes ago, Still traveling said:

we are also on the Jet Blue flight out of Boston. We were told that we need PCR (only) test within 3 days of the flight. Bermuda would no accept an ABBOTT MOLECULAR TEST that our Dr. here in Cohasset would give us. The Bermuda web site says if travel is after June5 you must have test within 3 days. Also the Viking TA just told me we would be charged $75.00 per person when we fill out their form they will send us.. which is to cover the arrival Bermuda test.

Finely booked the excursion by calling Viking directly. The web site kept going down. 

Hoping to see you soon

It appears that information depends on to whom one talks ( why am I not surprised?)  I think  I will bookmark the 3 places I have been researching for the pre PCR test and just wait until I get my info from Viking ( 8 days prior) AND watch to see how things work out with those that cruise before me😉;  That way I will have my "ducks in a row" no matter what procedure is used. 

One snag in the "Viking handles everything" entry in to Bermuda.  The airlines won't allow you to board without the stipulated government entry requirements complete.  They are going to go by what's published in their own systems or third party systems they subscribe to. And those systems won't have a carve out for us as an exception. 

I'm flying Delta and here's what their counter and gate agents will be screening for...

image.thumb.png.7306473d56df19548e9ba837d65fe1df.png

The airlines get fined for admitting passengers that don't meet entry requirements so this stuff is taken extremely seriously.  And if there's a doubt it won't favor us and we won't be allowed to board. 

It gets even more fun for those of us that are connecting.  Our local boarding station could have one interpretation of what's required and our connecting station for the flight to BDA another.  

For example there are no requirements for me to get to Atlanta.  But the local agent is supposed to check documents to the final destination.  So maybe I'd get as far as Atlanta or maybe not.  Maybe the agent in Atlanta would let me board or maybe not.  And your documentation is always reviewed before boarding an international flight even though it was (theoretically) reviewed before your domestic flight.  Airlines don't trust their own out stations to properly review international documentation.  So there are a lot of maybes if we aren't travelling with all the official entry requirements complete. 

image.thumb.png.61ee660564e1e48a1ac4591aecb7629d.png

Now if Bermuda allows Viking passengers to apply for a Travel Authorisation with a differing set of requirements and issues an authorization for to us to show at the airport that's a whole different ball game.  I'm hoping that's what will happen.  I'm also really glad I'm not on the first couple of sailings. 

So what Viking said to @Stimpy is encouraging but doesn't appear to be fully baked (yet).  

B _ A_ H

I am flying Delta too. It is through Viking Air. They gave me the confirmation # and ticketed my trip from MSP to ALT to BDA Both MY Delta and MJV are coordinated, when the time changed it appeared on both place.

Relax, Viking has thought this all out....  The Delta flight  to ATL to BDA will be  full of Viking passengers. 

They are not going to fly an empty plane to Bermuda that day.  I will be on  the fourth curise using Vinkg Air to Bemuda and Delta.  What is your cruse date? Are you using Viking Air or doing your won air? 

Have a relaxing  weekend and do not overthink this .

• Like 2

Hey @Azulann.  Like many I've booked and canceled lots of potential trips betting on the timing of when countries would accept visitors.  I should be leaving for Jakarta on 6/4 but that's not happening because Asia's spiking.  When I booked it Indonesia was on record for a June 1st opening with lots of plans in place to receive visitors. 

I was hoping that this particular series of cruises would be more solid by their design.  If you read the boards of MSC (for the UK Virtuoso series), RCI (Bermuda and Nassau), and Celebrity (St. Martin) all of their "welcome back" cruises are going through the same gyrations we are.  All are firsts and the  cruise lines are feeling their respective ways through as they go.  I guess expecting solidity was a bit naïve on my part. 

Do I trust Viking?  Sure, I did a lot of research and think they are better equipped than others to pull their first cruises off.  But there are things they can control and thinks that they can't.  The odd consequence created by picking a Tuesday departure date as it relates to the new 3 day test rule for example. 

I'm less anxious than I am frustrated. Some here have already pulled the ripcord and canceled because of the uncertainty.  I'm going to ride it all the way through.  To your point, after Viking gets the first couple of cruises under their belt their will be fewer unanswered questions.  And I'll feel better after the first cruise is successful which it likely will be.  

I'm a Diamond Medallion with Delta and using miles is the answer to how I'm getting to BDA.  Using miles on high demand dates/routes is when they are of the highest value.  Also, having status with an airline helps in fluid situations like ours. 

13 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Pretty hard to misinterpret this:

“ID NOWAbbott Diagnostics Scarborough, Inc.-Uses isothermal nucleic acid amplification technology instead of PCR,”

ID Now is an isothermal test, of which there are several kinds.  These detect viral dna, like PCR.  But they are not PCR.  Abbott is very careful not to mention PCR in regards to ID Now in any of their communications.

But all this is likely moot for anyone flying into Bermuda on embarkation day.

maybe this helps?

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/media-resources/science-in-5/episode-14---covid-19---tests?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4v2EBhCtARIsACan3nx9hBLAEKVE9rzbfVR8p-eoUwByy0yflGyrEvUJbVsMSN11lu4hXzgaApz1EALw_wcB

Honestly I am just trying to help people get their test and travel.  Bermuda has said the test is accepted and I'm not sure why you keep arguing the NAAT technical stuff.  It is all semantics.    

14 minutes ago, shadowlover said:

maybe this helps?

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/media-resources/science-in-5/episode-14---covid-19---tests?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4v2EBhCtARIsACan3nx9hBLAEKVE9rzbfVR8p-eoUwByy0yflGyrEvUJbVsMSN11lu4hXzgaApz1EALw_wcB

Honestly I am just trying to help people get their test and travel.  Bermuda has said the test is accepted and I'm not sure why you keep arguing the NAAT technical stuff.  It is all semantics.    

And we're trying to make sure you get to go. Watched the video. It said PCR is a type of NAAT test. Never mentioned Abbott ID Now, which we also know is a NAAT test. It does not mean it is a PCR test. Dogs and Cats are both animals but, a cat is not a dog.

Edited by MRGACRUZR
Spelling

Apparently there are two types of COVID tests — antigen and molecular. 

Molecular tests include PCR, LAMP, and NAAT. Abbott’s ID NOW is a NAAT test. 

https://testing.covid19.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/332/2020/08/COVID-testing-8.6.2020-FINAL-letterhead.pdf 

So if a country says they require a molecular test, that would cover Abbott’s ID Now. If they get more specific and say they only take a PCR test, it sounds like that wouldn’t include Abbott’s. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, shadowlover said:

maybe this helps?

That was definitely in “layman’s terms” and does not address the issue.

The problem is “the technical stuff” is what Bermuda is looking for.  Compounding that is the Bermuda reps answering the questions do not understand the technical stuff sufficiently to issue authoritative answers.  Most of their answers have been self-contradictory, leaving us with little confidence in their statements.

Since there seems to be plenty if cabins available on the 6/15 cruise, DW and I are discussing canceling the cruise outside the 14 day window, but flying to Bermuda, as we have a hotel booked for the first three nights of our trip.  Then, if we successfully get to our hotel, and pass the arrival screening test, we will call Viking from Bermuda to see if any nice cabins are available.  If there are none, we will spend the 10 day trip at luxury beachfront hotels, dining at myriad fine restaurants.  And doing whatever the hell we want during the day, rather than being trapped on a ship and being herded into very limited and boring bubble excursions.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Since there seems to be plenty if cabins available on the 6/15 cruise, DW and I are discussing canceling the cruise outside the 14 day window, but flying to Bermuda, as we have a hotel booked for the first three nights of our trip.  Then, if we successfully get to our hotel, and pass the arrival screening test, we will call Viking from Bermuda to see if any nice cabins are available.  If there are none, we will spend the 10 day trip at luxury beachfront hotels, dining at myriad fine restaurants.  And doing whatever the hell we want during the day, rather than being trapped on a ship and being herded into very limited and boring bubble excursions.

Great idea!!!👍🙂

58 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

That is a great "plan B" if I ever heard one.  Be sure to visit the Hog Penny Pub for a nice pint or three.  We don't need no steenkin' bubbles......😳🍺

15 hours ago, Azulann said:

B _ A_ H

I am flying Delta too. It is through Viking Air. They gave me the confirmation # and ticketed my trip from MSP to ALT to BDA Both MY Delta and MJV are coordinated, when the time changed it appeared on both place.

Relax, Viking has thought this all out....  The Delta flight  to ATL to BDA will be  full of Viking passengers. 

They are not going to fly an empty plane to Bermuda that day.  I will be on  the fourth curise using Vinkg Air to Bemuda and Delta.  What is your cruse date? Are you using Viking Air or doing your won air? 

Have a relaxing  weekend and do not overthink this .

Hi Azulann!  Sounds like we may be on the same cruise (7/6).  I am encouraged by recent “developments” and hope you are right.  Just in case we do have a “plan B”.  We will be connecting in Atlanta as well!  Must be the “Midwest hub” (we are starting in Chicago).  Will be watching the boards as the early cruises begin and keeping fingers crossed that all goes smoothly!  

12 minutes ago, molymoo said:

Hi Azulann!  Sounds like we may be on the same cruise (7/6).  I am encouraged by recent “developments” and hope you are right.  Just in case we do have a “plan B”.  We will be connecting in Atlanta as well!  Must be the “Midwest hub” (we are starting in Chicago).  Will be watching the boards as the early cruises begin and keeping fingers crossed that all goes smoothly!  

Molymoo, 

I am on the July 13 flight. Atlanta is the home airport for Delta. MSP  is a Delta hub. These Tuesday flights to BDA are going to be full of Viking cruises. I am keeping my eyes on the first  couple of flights too.  My plan B is stay home . 😊

On 5/14/2021 at 11:02 AM, Stempy said:

I am on the June 15th cruise....
supervisor stressed that Viking would be responsible for all testing for its passengers and handle entry regulations into Bermuda.We do not even need a Covid test at the airport upon arrival from Bermuda officials.

Mandatory Health survey will be posted on My Viking Journey 8 days before sailing.

This finally makes the most sense. 
just wish it was posted previously to avoid all this anxiety.

Need an Ativan refill!
Both Bermuda and Viking want operations to start up and revenue flowing for all parties concerned.

As it does not pertain to me, do not know about those coming into Bermuda early other than sailing day.

Did Viking say if they would post the special entry rules before the 14 day cancellation cutoff?

2 hours ago, Azulann said:

Molymoo, 

I am on the July 13 flight. Atlanta is the home airport for Delta. MSP  is a Delta hub. These Tuesday flights to BDA are going to be full of Viking cruises. I am keeping my eyes on the first  couple of flights too.  My plan B is stay home . 😊

Azulann hubbs and I are on the same cruise.  We live 2 hours south of Atlanta and coul dnot get on  Delta flight to Bermuda.  Instead we are being flown from Atlanta to CHarlotte to Bermuda.🙄 

While disappointed not to be able to go off (shopping!) on our own, and on the limited excursions,, we understand.  The ship will be our vacation.  Can't wait! 

• Like 1