Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

Still very concerned that timeframe does not work to get  an accepted Authorization Form in time.

May get to Bermuda airport only  to be allowed entry and wait for the next flight home.

34 minutes ago, Stempy said:

I was under the impression that a rapid test was an antigen or antibody test.

Bermuda regulations are so ambiguous and confusing.

Thats why when doing a a google search it might be better not to use the word"rapid".  I googled, "fast" and "quick" and came up with 3 options within an hours drive of me,  one  being a saliva pcr test.

• Like 1

For those having trouble finding tests in smaller cities, how about driving/flying to your larger gateway city a day ir two early to get same-day tests.  The bigger the city, the more likely you’ll find quick-turn test options.  It’ll cost you a night’s hotel stay and maybe a couple of taxi/uber rides.

6 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

To protect yourself and others from dying in a very unpleasant way.

Well of course it is.  Rather obvious.  You missed the point but I probably should not have been so brief and assume folks would get it.  It was meant as a dig at the byzantine bureaucracy in Bermuda which is causing difficulties for the people it most needs to return and spend money.  I know you read the news yesterday:  No masks for vaxxers.  Even CC posted news about vaccinated people being freed from masks except in certain circumstances and being allowed ashore by themselves if that is what they wish and the country visited approves.  The rules are still changing by the day but seemingly in the right direction for a change.  I am very happy you and others are willing to fight the rats nest of rules in Bermuda in order to get cruises going.  I am even more happy for Viking getting some ships out of "mothballs" and putting their great crews back to work.  I know it has been a very trying time for all of them.  Bon Voyage!🍸

54 minutes ago, Stempy said:

Still very concerned that timeframe does not work to get  an accepted Authorization Form in time.

May get to Bermuda airport only  to be allowed entry and wait for the next flight home.

Don’t get on the plane to Bermuda without the approved TA.  I wonder if the airlines would even let someone on board without a valid TA?

I agree with Stempy. Unless Bermuda’s pre-trip testing rules change, I don’t see how the Tuesday arrival will work. I’d been feeling positive about this trip until I realized how complicated the 3 day window will be for the timing of Viking’s embarkations. 

Edited by CatefromNH

And since we are on the subject of hassles: given that several flights arrive into Bermuda around the same time on Tuesdays, how long do you think it will take to:

- Clear Bermuda customs

- Get the nose-ream swab test at the airport.

- Queue for taxis or the small van transfers Viking touts.

- Queue for socially distanced covid tests at the ship with the hundreds of other pax arriving at about the same time.

- Complete the check in process (let’s assume Viking will fix their check-in countdown clock...).

- Wait in the tent/cruise terminal for test results so you can board the ship.

- Find your cabin and change out of grungy travel clothes

- Find a bar with enough socially distanced seating to grab a drink to calm your nerves.  Well maybe two drinks.

- Weave your way to your pre-booked dining venue.

You need to figure this all out in order to make dinner reservations for the first night.  Or just order in room service and call it a wasted day...

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Good luck with that, finally got geologists out yesterday to take core samples.  And they said 2-4 weeks to get lab results and their report!  So engineering on the pool and pavilion probably won’t start for a couple of months due to the crazy demand for such things at the moment.

Maybe they will find gold?!?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

More likely toxic waste....

I did read somewhere that the part of San Clemente supporting Castle Ragnar was once a Standard Oil dump site.  Too bad about the pool but just be sure to restock the wine cellar and Ho-Hum and I shall manage..🍷

For those not familiar with Southern California, the coastal region is basically made of muck pushed up from the ocean bottom by earthquakes.  This muck’s greatest desire is to return to the sea from which it came.  Taking all the things silly humans have built on it with it...

Thus all the geologists and engineers involved with building a simple swimming pool 😞  And while they can delay the inevitable a bit, the muck will eventually prevail.

• Like 1

The June 15  travellers and passengers will indeed lead the way for the rest of us going to Bermuda.

Here is my speculation:

One positve test for Covid yesterday in Bermuda, local transmission. The total number  of active cases are back to March level. Vaccinations for some age groups are near or over 70%, per Royal Gazette today.

Therefore, I think Bermuda will either drop its pretest for vaccinated persons. or go back to five day  before arrival  within the next month.

Once at airport with large crowds on  Viking Tuesdays and RCI  sailings on Saturdays, it will overwhelm the airport and their testing capacity.

I think Viking  will herd us off the plane , get us to dock and pretest us. They will do the lab work. We  get on board, in a orderly fashion,  get our glass of bubbly . Go to our cabin, or with mask , stroll  to the Aquavit Bar or Explorer lounge, take off mask , and wait for our results.

By my dinner time at 8 pm ,  we will be seated at a nice table for two in Restarant and enjoy the  Welcome back dinner!

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, CatefromNH said:

I agree with Stempy. Unless Bermuda’s pre-trip testing rules change, I don’t see how the Tuesday arrival will work. I’d been feeling positive about this trip until I realized how complicated the 3 day window will be for the timing of Viking’s embarkations. 

As I mentioned in a previous post, you should be able to find a lab that offers Rapid-PCR tests. Results are often guaranteed in 12 hrs, but can be as quick as 6 hrs. Problem is they are expensive.

If we have this test available in Vancouver, I would imagine most towns/cities in the US will have at least one lab available. Google search for rapid-PCR test should yield results. Our lab in Vancouver also provides a travel certificate.

Good luck getting everything in order.

24 minutes ago, Azulann said:

The June 15  travellers and passengers will indeed lead the way for the rest of us going to Bermuda.

Here is my speculation:

One positve test for Covid yesterday in Bermuda, local transmission. The total number  of active cases are back to March level. Vaccinations for some age groups are near or over 70%, per Royal Gazette today.

Therefore, I think Bermuda will either drop its pretest for vaccinated persons. or go back to five day  before arrival  within the next month.

Once at airport with large crowds on  Viking Tuesdays and RCI  sailings on Saturdays, it will overwhelm the airport and their testing capacity.

I think Viking  will herd us off the plane , get us to dock and pretest us. They will do the lab work. We  get on board, in a orderly fashion,  get our glass of bubbly . Go to our cabin, or with mask , stroll  to the Aquavit Bar or Explorer lounge, take off mask , and wait for our results.

By my dinner time at 8 pm ,  we will be seated at a nice table for two in Restarant and enjoy the  Welcome back dinner!

Dreamer 🙂

• Like 2

Djdyall see that Wynn resorts will niw require only non-vaccinated employees to wear masks, and that guest are on the honor system to wear masks if they are unvaccinated?

Yeah, good luck with that...

So it is now a free-for-all.  You protect yourself and loved ones as best as you can, via vaccination, etc., and let the chips fall where they may for others.

Anybody out there having any luck booking excursions?  First I was getting 'Page Not Found', then 'Booking Locked', now I can't even log onto the site!  Hope everybody else is getting the excursions they want😢.

Got an email saying shore excursion reservations opening 9 am PST today for June 22  cruise. Keep getting an error messages, such as "page not found," or "your booking is locked, please try later." Assuming it is just because of technical issues.

35 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Djdyall see that Wynn resorts will niw require only non-vaccinated employees to wear masks, and that guest are on the honor system to wear masks if they are unvaccinated?

Yeah, good luck with that...

So it is now a free-for-all.  You protect yourself and loved ones as best as you can, via vaccination, etc., and let the chips fall where they may for others.

Reduced to quoting myself...

I would not blame Bermuda for stiffening their restrictions in the face of this.