Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

We understand there has been some confusion surrounding our return to sailing and want to take this opportunity to provide some clarity. 

Does Viking require crew to be vaccinated?

Our aim is to have all Viking crew vaccinated. We are doing everything we can to accelerate this process and meet that goal, and currently, the vast majority of our crew has already been vaccinated. Furthermore, our robust protocol includes frequent PCR testing of all guests and crew, making Viking even safer for all on board.

How does Viking define close contact?

Our medical staff is always refining our protocols and as of today we align with the CDC’s definition of a close contact, which is someone who was within 6 feet of a guest who has a suspected positive test result for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period starting from 2 days prior to test specimen collection until the time the patient is isolated.

What happens if I am confirmed to be a close contact with a guest who tests positive?

Viking’s policy is that close contacts who are fully vaccinated do not have to quarantine. This policy is in line with current CDC guidelines. However, a different approach may be required when in a destination, depending on the local situation at the time.

As local policies continue to change, the most up-to-date details can be found on our website: https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/health-and-safety/health-and-safety-faq.html

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Viking Cruises said:

What happens if I am confirmed to be a close contact with a guest who tests positive?

Viking’s policy is that close contacts who are fully vaccinated do not have to quarantine. This policy is in line with current CDC guidelines. However, a different approach may be required when in a destination, depending on the local situation at the time....

Thank you for this helpful information! There has been some confusion regarding flights to Bermuda. I know that close contact on a flight is defined as being within 2 rows of a positive. Yet, there is also official information that implies if a person was masked during exposure they may only need to quarantine until they test negative (similar to what happened to 2 Orion passengers).

Could you offer clarity to this circumstance flying into Bermuda, i.e., does everyone within 2 rows of a positive need to quarantine for 14 days, or are there exceptions if certain protocols have been followed? Thank you!

Edited by syesmar

Got our COVID PCR tests (negative) this morning for the June 29th Cruise, and did the Bermuda Authorization applications.

Some friendly advice that will hopefully save you some time.  Not the best designed form but here are some tips.  Where it is always referencing situations for minors/guardians, don't ignore it, you still have to click the drop down box and select - this doesn't apply.   There are several other questions that are generally not applicable, but you have to always answer them, by clicking the the drop down box.  Another example regards listing the Red List Countries.  You need to make sure to go in and select NONE.  There were several more things like that.  Don't worry, it will always tell you you have an error, correct it.  But it can be a long process!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Got our COVID PCR tests (negative) this morning for the June 29th Cruise, and did the Bermuda Authorization applications.

Some friendly advice that will hopefully save you some time.  Not the best designed form but here are some tips.  Where it is always referencing situations for minors/guardians, don't ignore it, you still have to click the drop down box and select - this doesn't apply.   There are several other questions that are generally not applicable, but you have to always answer them, by clicking the the drop down box.  Another example regards listing the Red List Countries.  You need to make sure to go in and select NONE.  There were several more things like that.  Don't worry, it will always tell you you have an error, correct it.  But it can be a long process!

Thanks for this helpful info....fingers crossed you hear from them soon!

• Like 1

Just discovered that there are two holidays during the July 27 sailing.  I don't think that Emancipation Day will be an issue since it is a sea day.  However, Mary Prince Day is our first day in St. George's. Did National Heroes Day cause any disruption for those of you that were on the first Bermuda Escape?  Does anybody know if there are any events/celebrations that I should take advantage of that we wouldn't otherwise get to enjoy?

7 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

What did you use for the contact number while in Bermuda on the Travel Authorization form?  Your cell? Or did you use a Viking number?

1 hour ago, bafinegan said:

What did you use for the contact number while in Bermuda on the Travel Authorization form?  Your cell? Or did you use a Viking number?

The Viking Orion Number.  Found it on one of the documents Viking sent us.

On 6/26/2021 at 2:36 PM, CCWineLover said:

Thanks for this helpful information!  Trusting that all will go well.

21 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

The Viking Orion Number.  Found it on one of the documents Viking sent us.

Nothing in the documents from VIking has the Orion's number.  Are those the final documents that you get emailed to you?  Can you post the number?

26 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

Nothing in the documents from VIking has the Orion's number.  Are those the final documents that you get emailed to you?  Can you post the number?

It was contained in the "YOUR JOURNEY SUMMARY" that was sent from Viking.  One document per guest.  For proof of Viking  Journey.

At bottom of 1st page is:

Your Cruise Dock Location

VIKING ORION
#6 Passenger Terminal

Front Street

Hamilton, Bermuda

Ship Phone:  +1 323 870 4810

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

FYI - Bermuda has dispatched people to JFK to help head off problems with the Travel Authorizations. They say they will also send people to other airports.
There also is now a toll free number for problems  (833) 570-2594
https://www.royalgazette.com/tourism/news/article/20210627/bta-deploys-team-to-jfk-over-covid-related-travel-issues/

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 2

For those recently/now on Orion - another question:

What time did you do the saliva test in the morning? 

They say you can't even have coffee until it is done.  Did they come early?  leave it outside the door?

2 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

They say you can't even have coffee until it is done.  Did they come early?  leave it outside the door?

I took a saliva test last winter. One must not eat or drink any liquids or put anything into your mouth like gum, for a hour before your saliva test , which is spitting in a tube to a little blue line. 

I have dry mouth in the morning. I am going to drink water and even have one cup coffee , wait a hour ,and do the test. I might have to be up at 5am , but  that is ok for me . But I will do it before I leave for breakfast or have breakfast room service. 

11 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

I watched a video from one of the UK cruises that showed the tubes being left in your stateroom.  They didn't specifically say this, but I think they are collected each morning and new tubes left for the next day so you can test whenever you wish.

• Like 2

Have any of the cruisers from June 15 or 22 provided Bermuda with a Covid PCR Saliva test.  I've seen something from Viking and previous posts that it must be a nasal swab but the Bermuda website only says PCR test and does not specify nasal or saliva. Thank You.

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

The new tubes are left on the tray on your bed each night during the evening room cleaning. I get up early and NEED coffee so I start gathering spit as soon as I roll out of bed, head to the bathroom, turn on the Nespresso machine, open the tube and almost fill it. They gather the tube back up during the morning cleaning. For half the cruise there was also a wellness sheet to be filled out, with the tubes. The second half of the cruise the wellness check was on Viking Voyager.  My wife also has dry mouth but found gathering from the minute you get up worked for her, as well. Became a "no big deal" process that was rewarded with a nice espresso and a great view off the balcony. Enjoy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vundu said:

Have any of the cruisers from June 15 or 22 provided Bermuda with a Covid PCR Saliva test.  I've seen something from Viking and previous posts that it must be a nasal swab but the Bermuda website only says PCR test and does not specify nasal or saliva. Thank You.

Prior to leaving for Bermuda at home we had to get tested for Bermuda's requirements--and yes, it must be a  PCR test.  Not an antigen test.  Not an antibody test.    Bermuda doesn't care if you stand on your head while you do the test, it just must be a PCR test through an accredited lab on a certain day prior to arrival in Bermuda.   The ship was using our saliva to run PCR tests, but there's an excellent chance that when you go to get tested prior to leaving it will be a nasal swab.   Either way what matters is what it says on the form you get from the lab---positive or negative and it must be a PCR test.

image.png.25ed96e8353bec0cc827dbf6932570a5.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

The new tubes are left on the tray on your bed each night during the evening room cleaning. I get up early and NEED coffee so I start gathering spit as soon as I roll out of bed, head to the bathroom, turn on the Nespresso machine, open the tube and almost fill it. They gather the tube back up during the morning cleaning. For half the cruise there was also a wellness sheet to be filled out, with the tubes. The second half of the cruise the wellness check was on Viking Voyager.  My wife also has dry mouth but found gathering from the minute you get up worked for her, as well. Became a "no big deal" process that was rewarded with a nice espresso and a great view off the balcony. Enjoy

You win the prize for the accurate on-site information (rather than speculation).  Thank you so much!

You must have guessed, we also NEED coffee up and early.  This will help things immensely.  I like your idea of starting the machine and then doing the saliva test.   Yes, rewards of espresso and a view!!  And then breakfast.

Much appreciated!

• Like 3

Quick report on the June 29 Bermuda Escape.  The AA plane from CLT was late, which was OK since the Airport was cleared out by then.  So surprised how fast we made it through everything!  Bermuda seems to have the logistics down a bit better now.  It took just 1 hour from landing to getting on the small little van bus to head to the ship.  Only real delay, if you could call it that, was the wait for baggage.  The COVID test up the nostril went quickly (still not pleasant).   Easy ride to the ship - you come around a corner and suddenly there it is in Hamilton.  Quick processing on then onboard.  Muster talk (for us in Star Theatre) to about 8 people at a time.  Saliva test.  and then up to Explorer's Lounge by 5:45 PM !!   The weather was so beautiful and pleasant, we ate outside at the World Cafe to a gorgeous view of the beautiful limestone homes and the water!  End to a very smooth trip here.  The crew is just so happy and excited to see us - more than ever.  Spacing is done well and only certain tables are available outside to use for dinner.  Felt very comfortable all the way so far. (Except maybe the planes, but no choice there).

Here are some pics of the Viking Daily's so far.

118900224_VikingDaily0629.thumb.jpg.20841bf43a6888e33e74378ebfe8acf2.jpg219085752_VikingDaily0630-1.thumb.jpg.b41051b3e630656cf0d209317d9b9c8e.jpg1038619962_VikingDaily0630-2.thumb.jpg.74fd74b737b683a7023bbe404142cc31.jpg1089178845_VikingDaily0630-3.thumb.jpg.2aa581fd5712cfffa18635c8a467a0c5.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4