Volcano on St Vincent is now code Red and apparently RCL has sent a ship to help evacuate

On 4/9/2021 at 10:29 AM, sandebeach said:

Volcanic ash can definitely be a problem in the Islands. We were at a conference on St. Thomas many years ago, when Montserrat volcano erupted. Ash in sky was so bad that air traffic from St Thomas was cancelled for 2 days, which meant extra hotel days to pay for us. At least St. Thomas is a beautiful island to be stranded on! 

We did a southern Caibbean cruise on Serenade and as we sailed by Montserrat the Captain slowed and gave us all a very up close and personal view of what the volcano did there. It was amazing to see.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Soufriere just popped again, around 10 a.m. local time!

Ash is actively falling on Barbados - visible if you look carefully!

Fresh pop.JPG

Thank you for sharing and again, wishing all goes well for you and your island, and all the islands in the affected area. 

• Like 1

- and as we speak

we are now receiving the proceeds of that 10 o clock pop...

It's so dark outside, a little after Noon,

that our street lights have come back on - AT NOON

- lol -what else can you do? Cry?!

This is what DOVER BEACH looks like around 11 a.m.

- probably a bit more coated-grey by now!

DOVER BEACH Sunday 11th at noon.jpg

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

And here is Carlisle Bay just now 12:45 p.m. Sunday 11th. April

NOT a good time to visit the island, sorry!

That's the Yacht Club BEACH at lower right!

It used to be white sand.............

CARLISLE BAY noon Sunday 11th..jpg

Thank you so much for sharing these photos.  It makes it very 'real' to me and is extremely scary.  I worry for all the people with breathing issues.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

We did a southern Caibbean cruise on Serenade and as we sailed by Montserrat the Captain slowed and gave us all a very up close and personal view of what the volcano did there. It was amazing to see.

We did the same itinerary on Serenade and this was how Plymouth on Montserrat looked many years after that eruption. You could still see the huge amount of ash that fell on that island.

Montserrat.JPG

Edited by robtulipe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Aplmac said:

- and as we speak

we are now receiving the proceeds of that 10 o clock pop...

It's so dark outside, a little after Noon,

that our street lights have come back on - AT NOON

- lol -what else can you do? Cry?!

This is what DOVER BEACH looks like around 11 a.m.

- probably a bit more coated-grey by now!

DOVER BEACH Sunday 11th at noon.jpg

Thanks for sharing your pictures and experiences with us. It does make it real. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Hang in there!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aplmac said:

And here is Carlisle Bay just now 12:45 p.m. Sunday 11th. April

NOT a good time to visit the island, sorry!

That's the Yacht Club BEACH at lower right!

It used to be white sand.............

CARLISLE BAY noon Sunday 11th..jpg

I just heard that you need to keep cleaning off the ash to keep it from building up... it gets heavier with water too...

Soufriere just did a little emission around 3 p.m.

- we've had worse.

Air quality is now quite foul, in Barbados, visibility is quite reduced
dust blowing around as wind has picked up a bit

and a sulphurous smell a bit like gunpowder is about... yuck!

Windows are now closed. Best air quality is in the house!

In these pics you can see wave after wave

as they proceed west-to-East, over Barbados.

!Tiny one!.JPG

!Tiny two!.JPG

!Wave after wave of it!.JPG

• Thanks 1

I have posted a number of links..forgive me is this is a repeat..... here is a site that ...like the image above... shows the eruptions in real time.... you can play with the options on the right to see such things as SO2 gas being sent off to the east... or you can look at IR images showing the heat coming from the eruption..which is what.. I hope at least ...the link will show... you can also adjust time perios from 12 hrs down to 2..from windy.com

I was listening to the PM of St Vincent... apparently there aren't enough people who want to leave St Vincent...so they may have to send the ships away... looks like they won't make that decision for a while... separately I hear that conditions seem to be getting worse near the volcano.... so perhaps people will want to leave.. PM of St Vincent update

For anyone following this story... Serenade of the Seas is bringing in 40k gallons of water... that has been a big issue for the Island..since ash has contaminated the rivers and other water sources... so this is nice to hear

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, sea shepherd said:

The Serenade is docked again in St Vincent this morning.  

image.png

Offloading water they bunkered from Barbados. I know the people there are very hard up for water with the catchments and rivers dirty with ash. I wondered why they weren't having the ships use their water systems out at sea and then bringing it in to them. 

They can support 3k+ people a day and right now there aren't over a 100 onboard. Probably much cheaper to just bring from somewhere. 

SOS was back in St Vincent Friday morning delivering water.... One issue with the water produced at sea is getting in onto land... they are running it through pipes in the ship...not sure if they are set up to fill bottles, or tanks... 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, kearney said:

SOS was back in St Vincent Friday morning delivering water.... One issue with the water produced at sea is getting in onto land... they are running it through pipes in the ship...not sure if they are set up to fill bottles, or tanks... 

Saw a picture from what was being done yesterday. Looks like filling up tanks with a hose. Little black tanks they usually use to store water for a house. 

1 hour ago, kearney said:

Great if they can do that...I just wasn't sure they were set up for that

Certainly not the quickest way. Not sure if they were the deck washing hoses or what. They weren't as big as the ones you see hooked up to the ship in port sometimes.