The Daily for Friday Apr 09, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

She will be 40 on April 18th and I told her it will be a birthday present to herself. 

That's wonderful!  We had some "birthday vaccines" in our family too, my first jab was 4 days after my birthday, and DS got his first jab a few days before his birthday (April 11).  Best present ever!

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Marmot@Sea said:

Potato soup maybe the answer for dinner tonight.  My oven seems to have caught the major appliance virus.  I will know better once I check a few things out.  Unfortunately I think this will need to be a call out to the repair man.

Oh, NO!   I am so sorry to hear that.  I am so glad that my major appliances are all replaced at this time and it is just the small ones that I need to work on.  Like a new hand mixer.  That is nearly 40 years old.  I think it is time.  I'd replace the iron but I don't iron much anymore.

Happy Anniversary to @ger_77 and @luvteaching And anyone else I may have forgotten.

RIP Prince Phillip.  

While we might have lost Prince Phillip, our family gained Prince Griffin.   Welcome to world Griffin Michael, born this morning.  7 lbs, 12 oz, mother and son doing well.  Griffin is my niece's son.  

• Like 22

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I couldn’t help but notice that your shrimp were arranged on your plates in the shape of hearts ♥️!  How clever and sweet! I am so stealing your idea. 

I started doing that several years ago for Valentines. Now Mitzi would be disappointed if I didn't plate them up that way!

• Like 11

We visited Aomori, Japan, in the fall of 2007, therefore we didn’t get to see spring blossoms!  We did visit the Nebuta Village, where giant floats are on display and the Sannai Maruyama Ruins. We sailed on the Amsterdam from Seattle to Hong Kong, a wonderful first visit to Asia.

• Like 14

Because it is such nice weather outside today in London, Ontario  22 C or about 70 F  I am sending you some pictures from the Keukenhof  and surrounding tulip fields  in the Netherlands  . For the second year in a row the gardens have been closed for visitors  due to the Covid - 19 but they have shown some very nice videos and pictures on the website : www.keukenhof.nl or on youtube.com  

Bike tour tulip fields Amsterdam

Keukenhof-23-april-10.jpg.0fa9fe35f30163bd4016256b1b323afe.jpg

bigstock-Pond-and-flowering-tulips-at-K-112865387.jpg.3b5bc51da08b2716666e57140e96a469.jpg

30.jpg.b4554d629139a03d0f4632be1ccf7aad.jpg

keukenhof-netherlands-tulips3-sh-mem-180430_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg.4ee3b0e5594e73ff1f4d724aab42a773.jpg

A few professional photographers have had access to the park but it was kind of surreal for them to see all of this beauty in an empty park . All of that work that went into it last fall planting the millions of bulbs so I thought to share this with you . Enjoy and if you have not been there yet make sure you plan a visit there in the coming years .

Next week we are expecting some frost at night so we can not plant much in our gardens yet .

Tony 😀

bigstock-Pond-and-flowering-tulips-at-K-112865387.jpg

5ea9986c4bca6309761dfb47

Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Like 20

5 hours ago, luvteaching said:

@ger_77 Happy Anniversary! It was a great weekend to be married, wasn't it? Our motivation for choosing the date was two-fold. My DH wanted to be married sooner than later and my birthday worked. Also, being Easter weekend it meant it was easier for out-of-town guests to travel. We got married in Coquitlam BC where I grew up. We're also doing Italian take-out from Olive Garden (same as last year at the start of the pandemic). 

Karen

Yes, it was a great weekend - our weather was much like we are experiencing today - warm and sunny with a good breeze and virtually no snow left.  We chose the Easter weekend because it meant DH would be on vacation the following week - he was a teacher, so Easter break came the week after Good Friday and Easter Sunday.  It also meant I was only taking 4 days off my vacation allotment because Easter Monday was considered a stat holiday.

We had a small wedding (only 18 people in attendance at the ceremony), but had a dinner party for friends and relatives at my in-laws large home . . . looking at the guest book the next day, we realized we entertained 117 guests in the house and yard!

Best wishes to you and your DH for many more years of love, happiness, and travel.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 17

9 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Very sad news about Jack Hanna and RIP Prince Philip.  Wore a POW bracelet for several years and stayed up until 4 am to watch that soldier walk off a plane.  Cried so hard.  Love dive bars and unicorns.  Very interesting and true quote.

The soup looks and sounds delicious.  Thank you Debbie for the recipe.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please wear your mask.

Bailey's Coffee Slushies:

Ingredients
  • 2¼ c. cold brew, divided
  • ½ c. milk
  • ¼ c. Baileys Irish Cream
  • ¼ c. vodka
  • Whipped cream, for garnish
  • Chocolate sauce, for garnish
  • Caramel sauce, for garnish

Instructions
  1. Fill an ice cube tray with 2 cups cold brew. Freeze until solid, 2 to 3 hours.
  2. Combine frozen coffee cubes with remaining cold brew, milk, Baileys, and vodka in blender. Blend until smooth.
  3. Drizzle chocolate and caramel into each of your glasses. Divide slushy evenly between glasses, then top with whipped cream, more caramel and more chocolate. Serve with straws.

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 7.27.18 AM.png

Holy Smokes.  That will get the blood sugar very high, dangerously high.

• Like 3

Rich:  Thanks for the fleet report.  Thanks to all the DSILITES who read or contributed to the Blog.  May God have mercy on the Soul of Prince Philip.  He died two months short of his 100th birthday,

• Like 10

I have really enjoyed today's Daily with all the celebrations and beautiful spring pictures from around the world!  I'm also so happy to hear about the younger folks getting their vaccines now too.  Almost all of my family and friends in the 16+ age group have at least gotten their first shots and they are encouraging their friends to get theirs too.  The more the merrier!

~Nancy

• Like 11

Thank you Rich, Roy, the drinks and recipe ladies and all who enjoy the Daily.

POWs are definitely heroes.

@sailingdutchyThank you for the Keukenhoff pics.  I still want to go but will have to wait another year.

@bennybear Love the cherry blossoms in Japan.  Your pics are wonderful.

On a business trip many years ago, I was in Tokyo and Hamamatsu during cherry blossom time.  We were hosted for a special dinner that ended with cherry blossom ice cream that was just divine.

Best wishes to all those celebrating.

Prayers for those on the care list and those who need them.

• Like 10

On 4/9/2021 at 10:15 AM, Cruzin Terri said:

Well, good morning everyone.  

RIP Prince Philip.

I do have some good news to report.  Not sure if the IRS rep was mistaken or if the IRS decided to process my return and forget about the Identity verification process.  However I looked at the app this morning and finally it showed that after seven weeks my refund will be deposited in my account on Tuesday.  So go figure.  Maybe it was everyone’s prayers.  If so, a big THANK YOU!

Have never been to Japan so cannot comment on today’s port.  And I think we will pass on the Potato Soup.  We had too much starch yesterday. Happy Anniversary to @ger_77 and Happy Birthday/Anniversary to @luvteaching.

Lots of stuff to do today around the house.

No other news to report.  Nice sunny day here in Bluffton, SC.

Have a great day everyone.

Terri

Terri. 
We live in Bluffton too. 
We’re Bob and BJ Kaufman. Over 54 cruises most on HAl. Have done Oceania and Seabourn too. 
Love to meet you. 
We live in The Haven at New Riverside 

bjkaufman@yahoo.com. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bjkrlk said:

Terri. 
We live in Bluffton too. 
We’re Bob and BJ Kaufman. Over 54 cruises most on HAl. Have done Oceania and Seabourn too. 
Love to meet you. 
We live in The Haven at New Riverside 

bjkaufman@yahoo.com. 

Hi,

Small world.

We live at Eagle’s Pointe. Terri and Jim Breininger.  Would love to meet you as well.  Click on my email link and see if we can get together for lunch something.  We are fully vaccinated.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 1