Aqua class on Reflection

Csardas

I'm looking at a July '22 cruise. We've been on Reflection before and Constellation but are toying with the idea of Aqua class, mostly for the Blu dining. However, I've looked at some videos and in every one there seemed to be an overhang above the balcony. Being Scottish, warm sun is a novelty for us and I don't want a shaded balcony. 

Would any kind people share/recommend a good position on Reflection in Aqua class and their thoughts on whether is it worth the extra?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Csardas said:

I'm looking at a July '22 cruise. We've been on Reflection before and Constellation but are toying with the idea of Aqua class, mostly for the Blu dining. However, I've looked at some videos and in every one there seemed to be an overhang above the balcony. Being Scottish, warm sun is a novelty for us and I don't want a shaded balcony. 

Would any kind people share/recommend a good position on Reflection in Aqua class and their thoughts on whether is it worth the extra?

Thanks!

On S class the A2s are actually better than the A1s. Which is why we decline the free upgrade and usually choose one of the A2 staterooms forward. The ones under the salon or Persian Garden are nice and quiet.

Edited by Miaminice

Having sailed on Celebrity only 2 times I would say the Aqua class I'd definitely worth it.  Of course we had cabins that were more forward than mid ship.  Love the overhang in that it allowed us to be out there during not so nice days.  Also, Blu is a great restaurant and you can always order from the main dining room menu if you want.  

We loved the restaurant crew on Reflection.  We went to Blu on day 1 after boarding and upgraded our wine package with the sommelier and had the best service.  We also staked out a table we would like that would be quiet.  It was away from the windows as in December, it was dark anyways.  As for July, you may want a window table but it gets very competitive to get those tables.  No reserved tables.

3 hours ago, Csardas said:

Thanks!

If you want sun, head forward to the Aqua class cabins.  Be aware what is above you when you book.

On the Reflection, Blu is more crowded due to the increased number of Aqua class cabins.  For instance, on the other S-class ships, there are 4 tables between the window and the aisle.  On Reflection, there were 5 and rather cozy.  Food is very good in Blu.  

Also, you cannot order entrees  from the MDR from Blu due to the distance to the MDR kitchen.  You can always eat in the MDR.   

I think we need to be careful with telling passengers that they can “always eat in the MDR”. That might have been through in the past, although even then you were requested to make the arrangement with the Blu staff and not just show up at the MDR, where a table would have to be found for you because that was not your assigned dining room. But now, with capacity restrictions in place, they may no longer allow for passengers to move between dining rooms.  We will have to wait and see, of course, but it would not surprise me if diners were told that they needed to stay in their assigned space:  Suite passengers in Luminae, Aqua passengers in Blu.

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 3

Reflection is a beautiful ship! We have only sailed Aqua class since switching to Celebrity many years ago.

We love the Blu restaurant, and going to the Persian Gardens. However.... as noted by 'keesar', there is an extra deck mostly dedicated to Aqua class passengers. The result is a much busier Blu restaurant and Persian Gardens. There were many times when we went to Persian Gardens, and couldn't get in due to the numbers of people. This has never happened to us on the Solstice class ships that we've sailed. We also found that we were in line ups to get into Blu which rarely happened on Equinox, Silhouette, and Eclipse. 

Is that a deal breaker? NO! We would sail on Reflection again, but she's not our first choice due to the increased number of Aqua passengers. 

5 hours ago, Csardas said:

I'm looking at a July '22 cruise. We've been on Reflection before and Constellation but are toying with the idea of Aqua class, mostly for the Blu dining. However, I've looked at some videos and in every one there seemed to be an overhang above the balcony. Being Scottish, warm sun is a novelty for us and I don't want a shaded balcony

Thanks!

Reflection is one of two Solstice-class ships with an extra deck (mentioned above). This pushes the overhang up one deck so the cabins on deck 12 are directly beneath it. Choosing an AQ cabin on deck 11 will give you a little extra sun compared to deck 12. Combine that with suggestions for the forward A2 cabins and the overhang shouldn't be a problem. We have sailed in A1 on deck 11 and did not find the overhang to be an issue - but it would surely depend on what time of day you are out there.

We love Blu and always ask for a window seat. We are willing to go hang out in the Ensemble Lounge and get drinks while waiting - the servers there get to know our preferences and it is a nice way to start dinner. 

BLU on Reflection was  a very nice space.....

We had great service,  excellent food, good views.  

Sometimes there were lines at busy times. Too many suite guests were allowed to cut the line..that was corrected ...much improved

• Like 1

Well my personal experience on Eclipse in cabin #1552...not impressed at all...won't bother to book this category again, will bite the bullet and move up to another category...JMHO

On 4/10/2021 at 5:29 PM, HskrCrsr said:

Reflection is one of two Solstice-class ships with an extra deck (mentioned above). 

it‘s only Reflection, so only one ship, and it’s not an extra deck. 
I always thought so, too. However, it’s not an added deck but just a different layout - staterooms on one more deck.

Count the decks on the deck plans, the number is the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miaminice said:

I always thought so, too. However, it’s not an added deck but just a different layout - staterooms on one more deck.

Yep, you are correct. I thought Silhouette was more similar to Reflection and thus two like this.

I did not state it well, but I meant an extra deck with AQ cabins, with the overhang and pool deck being higher.

Anyway, staying on deck 11 for AQ on Reflection gives more sun than staying on deck 11 for AQ on (most? all?) Solstice class ships.

What this tells me is that I need to spend more time on these ships and really learn them better.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HskrCrsr said:

Yep, you are correct. I thought Silhouette was more similar to Reflection and thus two like this.

I did not state it well, but I meant an extra deck with AQ cabins, with the overhang and pool deck being higher.

Anyway, staying on deck 11 for AQ on Reflection gives more sun than staying on deck 11 for AQ on (most? all?) Solstice class ships.

What this tells me is that I need to spend more time on these ships and really learn them better.

👍

Maybe you had it confused with the Lawn Club Grill. Silhouette and Reflection are the only ships featuring the restaurant instead of the glass show. Personally I much prefer the Grill 🙂

Like I mentioned in a previous answer, we decline the upgrade to an A1 on S class and book one of the A2s under the Persian Garden. No overhang, nice and quiet and a good location for the Spa and gym.
We just booked one for another Japan cruise in 2022. Looking forward to it!!!

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1

Just a thought but if the other Blu perks are of little interest to you why not consider booking a standard veranda in a good sunny position and then use the money saved to buy a speciality dining package? Certainly worth pricing up the difference.

When we were on Reflection we loved the additional choices of restaurants. The Lawn Grill and The Porch are both fantastic on cruises in warmer areas....Particularly a treat for those of us from less sunny parts of the world!

12 hours ago, Miaminice said:

But the layout is odd. The spa/lockers and solarium  are on dIff decks..Guess it only matters for those of us who enjoy both in one visit, .  The  nightclub/ lounge is truncated somewhat, carved out for suites... and on diff deck than usual..best as I recall.  And the aft area is cut in half by a big curcular bar..some love that..we did not, too many bar stool hogs and the  lounger seats are crowded,  

We lifted and shifted to Ref..  our only choice so hope we enjoy it,

The Reflection is my favorite of any cruise ship I have ever sailed on. By far. I particularly like Aqua class on Reflection. I concur with others that the Penthouse deck (11) toward the bow is the best placement (A2). You simply have to examine a deck plan, paying special attention to deck 12, to make sure you are not booking under a high-traffic area.  Blu and the Persian Spa are well worth the extra money. Bon voyage!

On 4/10/2021 at 11:29 AM, HskrCrsr said:

Reflection is one of two Solstice-class ships with an extra deck (mentioned above). This pushes the overhang up one deck so the cabins on deck 12 are directly beneath it. Choosing an AQ cabin on deck 11 will give you a little extra sun compared to deck 12. Combine that with suggestions for the forward A2 cabins and the overhang shouldn't be a problem. We have sailed in A1 on deck 11 and did not find the overhang to be an issue - but it would surely depend on what time of day you are out there.

We love Blu and always ask for a window seat. We are willing to go hang out in the Ensemble Lounge and get drinks while waiting - the servers there get to know our preferences and it is a nice way to start dinner. 

I don't remember any ship other than Reflection with the extra deck.  Which other one has it?

5 hours ago, marieps said:

I don't remember any ship other than Reflection with the extra deck.  Which other one has it?

I was corrected by Miaminice just below my post. First, there is no extra deck - they pushed the pool one deck higher and put in more cabins, but no extra deck, just a different configuration. And second, for some reason I thought Silhouette was similar to Reflection for all the wrong reasons. So my ignorance was showing. Again. 🤡

8 hours ago, HskrCrsr said:

I was corrected by Miaminice just below my post. First, there is no extra deck - they pushed the pool one deck higher and put in more cabins, but no extra deck, just a different configuration. And second, for some reason I thought Silhouette was similar to Reflection for all the wrong reasons. So my ignorance was showing. Again. 🤡

Zero worries, my friend.  I was confused because we always sail starboard forward under the hair salon, and it's one quick flight up to the spa cafe for morning coffee, which I deliver to the DW.  On Reflection, I believe we had to sail on the port side and it was TWO flights up!  Got extra exercise that cruise!

Edited by marieps
  • Like 1