Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

5 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Delta did their usual flight changes again....if you’re on the July 17th flight from KEF to JFK, it’s now leaving 25 minutes earlier than originally scheduled 😢

We are on that flight on July 3 and no changes.  Delta certainly likes to keep us hopping.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Delta did their usual flight changes again....if you’re on the July 17th flight from KEF to JFK, it’s now leaving 25 minutes earlier than originally scheduled 😢

Yes, our July 24th KEF to JFK changed too.  25 minutes earlier as you said.  So sad.  I hate to leave the ship so early!!!!

• Like 1

Just now, Australia08 said:

Yes, our July 24th KEF to JFK changed too.  25 minutes earlier as you said.  So sad.  I hate to leave the ship so early!!!!

I checked, and apparently the change starts on JUly 10.  I wish we could have the earlier flight so we had more time to make our connection at JFK.  Sigh.

We are on the August 24 sailing, so reading all this is so helpful.  Has anyone who is leaving in July/August been ticketed from Chicago r/t to Reykjavik ?  What airlines is Viking putting you on, and is it one stop, two stop, nonstop?  Same for Orlando people-- how and which airlines are your flights? thanks

30 minutes ago, gramfrog said:

We are on the August 24 sailing, so reading all this is so helpful.  Has anyone who is leaving in July/August been ticketed from Chicago r/t to Reykjavik ?  What airlines is Viking putting you on, and is it one stop, two stop, nonstop?  Same for Orlando people-- how and which airlines are your flights? thanks

If you are concerned on what your flights will be, why not just pay the AirPlus fee and choose your flights now? That way, you can chose the non-stop flight from Chicago, choose your seats (before everybody else does) and know exactly what you flight plan will be.

6 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Good for you!  You can always take a layer off and leave it in the bus.  But who wants to STAY in the bus if they don't dress for the conditions.

We were in Iceland on In the Wake of the Vikings in September 2018, and it was cold, particularly near water or at higher altitudes.  (Did the Golden Circle, highly recommend for a first-timer.)  In any case, I wore a silk long-sleeved undershirt, a cotton turtleneck, jeans, a thick cotton sweater, and a waterproof insulated windbreaker with a hood.  And rain pants over the jeans.  Plus gloves.  The jacket and rain pants came off on the bus, but they were necessary at several of the stops if I wanted to be comfortable.  (Wind was also blowing pretty hard in spots.)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Some more thoughts -- in two posts -- about the two tours that were added in Djupivogur:

image.png.ff69ddab58cb014bcf725a6447d411e7.png

It is a two hour bus ride to the lagoon, now way around it.

image.png.ba196e3598a7886c817dd3b431476b93.png

From https://guidetoiceland.is/travel-iceland/drive/fjallsarlon:

Those who choose to take a boat ride will be provided warm and protective overalls, as well as receive a safety briefing that will further educate you to the surrounding glaciers and their origins.

These tours are undertaken on zodiac boats, meaning that each voyage is personal and fitted to small groups (max. 10 participants). Boat rides on Fjallsárlón will last approximately 45 minutes.

There is also a small bistro at Fjallsárlón, perfect for travellers looking to grab some light snacks and refreshments whilst in the area. Guests can pick from a variety of different meal options, including sandwiches, salads, soups, cakes and sweets. In the summer, the bistro is open from 9.30 AM to 06.00 PM, and in the winter, from 10.00 AM to 05.00 PM.  

Some questions: Does the bistro accept credit card? How long is the stop in Hofn? Is it a bathroom stop?

I did this tour with another tour organization. I have been to Iceland many times and this excursion was one of the most outstanding!  Up close and personal with icebergs!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

If you are concerned on what your flights will be, why not just pay the AirPlus fee and choose your flights now? That way, you can chose the non-stop flight from Chicago, choose your seats (before everybody else does) and know exactly what you flight plan will be.

Thanks-- I have, of course, put AirPlus on the six reservations just booked.  Planning on looking into booking air on Tuesday.  I was looking for a head's up.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

I did this tour with another tour organization. I have been to Iceland many times and this excursion was one of the most outstanding!  Up close and personal with icebergs!

I've also been to Iceland several times. I've driven the entire Ring Road and plan to do it again next month. Trust me: The glacial lagoons and the nearby Diamond Beach are absolutely spectacular. This is the best that Iceland has to offer (admittedly a pretty high bar).

1 hour ago, gramfrog said:

We're on the 7/3 cruise, out of Orlando and using Delta. We have one connection outbound in Minneapolis and one connection in Boston on the return. Hope this helps.😃 

11 minutes ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

We're on the 7/3 cruise, out of Orlando and using Delta. We have one connection outbound in Minneapolis and one connection in Boston on the return. Hope this helps.😃 

That's terrific news, thanks!  The Orlando crew wanted to go Delta.

1 hour ago, janetcbl said:

I was thinking about this, but it's over two hours driving each way to spend less than an hour on the water. Is it still worth it vs. the other options?

10 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

This morning's project.

The Dynjandi Falls excursion.

image.png.2470788c019eea52ed92efd41e643285.png

It is a 50+/- minute bus ride to the hiking trail:

image.png.849c9a486a1c528f5e5a33fefd59ea7e.png

The line with the randomly marked yellow dots is the hiking trail:

image.png.1f8f9865a82a97cc4336ee22e7e0a365.png

Just 9 minutes? Only 600m -- less than half a mile from parking lot to Falls? But there you have it. And here is more information about the Dynjandi Falls trail: https://guidetoiceland.is/connect-with-locals/regina/dynjandi-the-jewel-of-the-westfjords

image.png.e258dee6b14e7157c34ff4ec614fd5b7.png

LO. I did the exact same thing.  Six tenths of a kilimoter in rocky terrain probably uphill?  Twenty minutes for me plus stops for photos.

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

We're on the 8/17 Jupiter.  When TA and I were on the phone last week with Viking finalizing payment, I gave the rep the flights I wanted (ATL-CHI-KEF on United, Business) and asked about AirPlus.  He put us on hold for awhile, then came back and said they were "out of business class flights entirely and only had economy.  And AirPlus was not going to be handling any more bookings for that sailing."   So, we're on our own for flights.  As a first-time-Viking-cruiser, I was surprised.  Never had RCCL, Princess or Celebrity reject booking flights for us!

41 minutes ago, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

We're on the 8/17 Jupiter.  When TA and I were on the phone last week with Viking finalizing payment, I gave the rep the flights I wanted (ATL-CHI-KEF on United, Business) and asked about AirPlus.  He put us on hold for awhile, then came back and said they were "out of business class flights entirely and only had economy.  And AirPlus was not going to be handling any more bookings for that sailing."   So, we're on our own for flights.  As a first-time-Viking-cruiser, I was surprised.  Never had RCCL, Princess or Celebrity reject booking flights for us!

Very strange!  Perhaps Viking is becoming overwhelmed.  I've always found cheaper flights on my own and I'm a 9 times Viking cruiser.  You can always use Viking transfers even if you book your own air - as long as you're coming and going on embarkation and departure days.

4 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Yikes!  What happened?  I hope, but don’t think, KEF has a Sky Club!

No idea.
But No Sky Club.  No Priority Pass Lounge. Only the Saga Lounge.  if you’re a OneWorld elite you might qualify to enter. 

61B9C17E-3618-4DD2-8866-C7B4B7CC6DF3.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

If you are concerned on what your flights will be, why not just pay the AirPlus fee and choose your flights now? 

Peregina, We used air plus, then Delta changed our flight, going from 1 stop to 2 stops.  Called  Viking Air Plus, and they got us another flight with only 1 stop.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

We have Air Plus and are flying UA from ORD non-stop to KEV July 12

15 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Well our connecting flight changed two Saturdays ago so we went from 2.5 hour layover to 4 hour and now it’s up to almost 4.5.

But no matter what be glad you weren’t on the flight today! 🤪

32DAF496-B709-405B-A8D8-6890AE1E3978.jpeg

Our departing KEF flight was changed too -- we leave at 1050AM now. I haven't seen earliest time allowed for flights anywhere?

3 minutes ago, Doc who loves to travel said:

Our departing KEF flight was changed too -- we leave at 1050AM now. I haven't seen earliest time allowed for flights anywhere?

Earliest time allowed is on your Guest Statement as a warning if you are doing your own airfare.  They don't want flights until after 9 am.  They probably can't get us off the ship and to the airport by 7 am.

• Like 2