Framework for cruising ex UK released.

upwarduk

Gov.Uk has released a framework for domestic cruising to start from May17th and a new traffic lights system has been introduced that will soon allow international cruises from the UK. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/uk-releases-framework-for-resuming-international-cruises/49543?fbclid=IwAR3dgkqKPhouaW0gsto51EAXi07fiEhAhxkGjuN4s3h7qQtzD-Io7Ua2zlw

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

That’s the $1000 questions as it will also result in the Americans getting into the uk

that said domestic Uk citizens only cruises are starting from mid May.  International guests and destinations from mid June. 

lot of speculation but US should be on the green list.  Time will tell

40. Cruise operators will operate in accordance with UK Chamber of Shipping’s COVID-19 Framework for Cruise. They will be verified by a qualified, independent third party to ensure their COVID-19 Management Plans meet the standards in the framework documents. In addition, prior to industry recommencing passenger operations, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) will complete a full Expanded Inspection of cruise ships operating from domestic ports, regardless of previous inspection history. Cruise operators will be required to work closely with Port Operators, Port Health Authorities and wider health protection boards within local authorities to agree arrangements for the embarkation and disembarkation of passengers. Operators will align with the rules of the domestic roadmap, including capacity limits. Port calls with embarkation and disembarkation will be managed through controlled tour excursions, supporting passengers to remain in ‘bubbles’ to minimise risk to communities.

• Thanks 1

That is the key question which countries are in which status.

Though this seems to deal mostly with international travel in general and not much about cruises.

Would be interest to see what UK Chamber of Shipping’s COVID-19 Framework for Cruise  says.  Since it details the actual rules for cruise ships.

Edited by nocl

It is kind of strange to me that this was released based upon a color stoplight system for countries without the consideration of fully vaccinated travelers.  But I did not read the 20 pages.    If I am fully vaccinated from the UK and visit a Red country,  why would I need to go through quarantine for 10 days?   Maybe just a PCR test will suffice upon my return?

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 1

Here is a link to the frame work detailing cruise line requirements

https://ukchamberofshipping.com/latest/industry-comes-together-develop-new-covid-19-framework-cruise-operators/

It references the EU guidance for cruise ships since it was written before Brexit.  You can read it by following this link

http://emsa.europa.eu/publications/inventories/download/6367/4273/23.html

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

It is kind of strange to me that this was released based upon a color stoplight system for countries without the consideration of fully vaccinated travelers.  But I did not read the 40 pages.    If I am fully vaccinated from the UK and visit a Red country,  why would I need to go through quarantine for 10 days?   Maybe just a PCR test will suffice upon my return?

variants

1 minute ago, nocl said:

variants

Yes I understand the concern about variants and that vaccinated people visiting a country that is Red because of the S. Africa variant being widespread there for example.  But maybe a PCR test on return and another few days later might be enough? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes I understand the concern about variants and that vaccinated people visiting a country that is Red because of the S. Africa variant being widespread there for example.  But maybe a PCR test on return and another few days later might be enough? 

I expect that Red status will depend largely on what variants are wide spread in a country.  With their primary vaccine being AZ I do not think they want to take any risk of B.1.351 type mutations getting into the country and if you test after arrival there is already contact inside of the country.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Unlikely at present.  We have been through too  much with brutal lockdowns, far fiercer than seen in most other countries so the government will be cautious beyond belief now (and rightly so -  we have come too far to lose it again as we did last Autumn)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Unlikely at present.  We have been through too  much with brutal lockdowns, far fiercer than seen in most other countries so the government will be cautious beyond belief now (and rightly so -  we have come too far to lose it again as we did last Autumn)

Agree except I think the recent lockdown has not been as harsh as March/April 2020.

We have the example of the London cluster caused by the SA variant imported by a traveller from a country not on England's red list.  England's border is like a sieve.

We need to keep our borders closed.

My Q4 trip to Japan will reluctantly have be rescheduled to 2022.

22 minutes ago, anniegb said:

Agree except I think the recent lockdown has not been as harsh as March/April 2020.

We have the example of the London cluster caused by the SA variant imported by a traveller from a country not on England's red list.  England's border is like a sieve.

We need to keep our borders closed.

My Q4 trip to Japan will reluctantly have be rescheduled to 2022.

I think in Scotland as ours kicked in before Christmas in terms of restrictions and we still have a couple of weeks before pubs etc can open coupled with a harsh winter this second one was worse 

Hope you get Japan rebooked soon 

25 minutes ago, uktog said:

I think in Scotland as ours kicked in before Christmas in terms of restrictions and we still have a couple of weeks before pubs etc can open coupled with a harsh winter this second one was worse 

Hope you get Japan rebooked soon 

The Edinburgh professor Devi Sridhar advised against holidays abroad last summer saying we would pay the price in winter.  

I sincerely hope, forlornly, that we restrict foreign holidays this year to avoid a repeat.

Btw I speak as someone who loves her holidays normally 3 or 4 times a year.

Que sera sera 🙂

• Like 1

At this rate the only overseas country available for cruises this Summer with a Green Light  will be the Isle of Wight and you can almost see it from the cruise port in Southampton😁

I note that Tours will be in a bubble. Although we could drive to Greenock, Liverpool etc and wander around. As someone living in Southampton with the increase in tourists coming here  to stay the night before/shop/eat in restaurants should we be worried?  Southampton Water is going to busy. (I am not). 

Personally not cruising or foreign trips this year unless there is a miracle and we can board Reflection in Rome come September.

4 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

At this rate the only overseas country available for cruises this Summer with a Green Light  will be the Isle of Wight and you can almost see it from the cruise port in Southampton😁

I note that Tours will be in a bubble. Although we could drive to Greenock, Liverpool etc and wander around. As someone living in Southampton with the increase in tourists coming here  to stay the night before/shop/eat in restaurants should we be worried?  Southampton Water is going to busy. (I am not). 

Personally not cruising or foreign trips this year unless there is a miracle and we can board Reflection in Rome come September.

except the Isle of Wight is not an overseas country. I take the ferry there when ever I am in Southampton.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 1

I guess this only pertains to cruises originating from Great Britain! We have a Celebrity Cruise on July 30th from Amsterdam to the British Isles! Doubt it will be allowed!

23 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

What about Iceland?

7 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I thought the UK cruises were only for UK residents.   How is LJJQ for the U.S. taking one of these cruises??

It isn’t one of the new coastal cruises. Those are out of Southampton.