The Daily for Saturday Apr 17, 2021

richwmn

Today is Bat Appreciation Day, Herbalist Day, and Husband Appreciation Day

Every dogma has its day. - Anthony Burgess

Meal suggestion for today - Cheesy Ham & Corn Chowder

Drink of the Day - Cuba Libre

Wine of the day - Lieubeau 2017 Cru Goulaine (Muscadet Sèvre et Maine) Loire Valley

Port of the Day - Ulvik Norway

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/21
Noordam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/17

Corfu GR
Volendam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Zaandam

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage

0417World.thumb.png.d2cf36989255b10a4351126116eddb8a.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I always appreciate my husband.❤️ 

Love the quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good but I don't have any ham in the house.  Maybe another day.

A Cuba Libre sounds good too.

Looking forward to reading about the wine.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful Saturday.

Stay safe.

• Like 19

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  A salute to good husbands.  Bats are very valuable in controlling harmful insects.  Lots of amateur Herbalists among our ranks.  I'll call the Burgess Quote provocative. Been to several Norway ports on the Elegant Explorer but not Ulvic.  I'll pass on the Chowder.  My alternative is Chilled Blueberry Soup, Sauteed Pork Chop, and Ricotta Raspberry Tart as served on MS Zaandam April 17, 2017:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/dishes17.jpg

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac issues

Welfare of furloughed crews

NextOne DH in hospital

Horizon Chaser 1957 DH awaiting dental work

RIP Prince Phillip

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

73 years for Elizabeth and Phillip

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

All the Daily people

Successful dental implant for Kazu

Sr Louis Sal on a Branson getaway

Progress on Rotterdam

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 6

Good morning everyone!

And, indeed a good morning it is.   There is a rumor that we'll see the sun and, hopefully, it will feel a bit warmer today than the last couple of days.  The printer is fixed and working, no new appliance/device problems, so all is right in my world.  I'm going to the pool later this morning, so that will make it even better.

Today's meal comes with good reviews and a couple of suggestions on variations.  Probably not for me, so I'll stick with my salmon and brussels sprouts for tonight.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cheesy-ham-corn-chowder/

1-1/4 cups: 291 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 974mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.

Cheesy Ham and Corn Chowder.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Bats are so important for our ecosystem but have earned the wrath of some for carrying corona viruses.  I try to appreciate my husband every day.  And, when I fail, at least he doesn’t end up in the dog house 😉 

820FA7E4-326E-477B-96A4-F24826DD59DB.thumb.jpeg.c6c1b65b3b057159868e295d4904551e.jpeg

A great quote by Burgess 🙂 

Well the weatherman lied again.  We didn’t get the snow showers - we’re getting snow.  Oh well, I’ll try to be like Snoopy and just whine a bit:

AD1D8C9C-5638-46E5-BBDA-8765A4A8D5BB.jpeg.c1029729379886888871bcbf186735c9.jpeg

The meal recommendation sounds interesting.  Not sure what we will have tonight - it will depend on how my mouth is feeling later on, I think.

Norway is on the agenda for next year so I am looking forward to hearing about today’s port and the pictures.

I appreciated the helpful suggestions yesterday for something cold and wine for my mouth, so since I didn’t have any ice cream in the freezer, I went looking for ideas.  I found one but it didn’t work 😉 

870DD5D2-E152-476F-81D8-2AF8E7F49472.thumb.jpeg.24b34545893ca2ef288fecdc8e79c3fa.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to everyone on the Celebratory/Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone whether it be cold or warm, sunny, rainy or snowing!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks.

• Like 35
  • Haha 2

Happy Saturday.  It's gloomy here in middle Florida.  I do appreciate bats for their insect eating, but not when they got in the house up north.  DH is appreciated everyday.  Have not been to the port, looking forward to the photos.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Cuba Libre:

Rum and Coke, or the Cuba libre, is a highball cocktail consisting of cola, rum, and in many recipes lime juice on ice. Traditionally, the cola ingredient is Coca-Cola and the alcohol is a light rum such as Bacardi. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 2/3 oz White rum, 1/3 oz Fresh lime juice, 4 oz Cola
Preparation: Build all ingredients in a highball glass filled with ice. Garnish with lime wedge.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 6.58.20 AM.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

not to dispute @summer slope but long ago and far away (actually not so far) I was taught that the lime juice, or actually a twist of lime, was the difference between a "Rum and Coke" and a "Cuba Libre". Checking around a bit I found several different takes on the drink.

First there is this:

The Cuba Libre is almost identical to its more popular sibling, the Rum and Coke. What makes the Cuba Libre stand apart is the addition of fresh lime juice, which counteracts the sweet flavor of the cola.

Bacardi suggests this for the drink

1 1/2 oz BACARDÍ Gold rum

3 oz cola

2 lime wedges

note the use of dark rum here for more flavor. They also mention the beginnings of the drink -

Created in 1900, the Cuba Libre has always had a split identity: part cocktail, part rallying cry.
The name of the drink literally translates to "Free Cuba"

Who Invented the Cuba Libre?

The Cuba Libre is first thought to have been invented in the American Bar, Havana. The year was 1902 and Cuba had just won independence from Spain. All around, soldiers were singing, dancing and drinking, with chants of ‘Cuba Libre’ or ‘Free Cuba’ filling the air. Captain Russell headed to the bar and ordered a rum, cola and lime. The name for this new cocktail was obvious.

This story was corroborated by Fausto Rodriguez in 1965. The native Cuban man claimed to have been working for Russell at the time the drink was ordered and insisted that his version of events was true. Further evidence points to the fact that Coca-Cola had begun trading on the island for the first time earlier that year. The natives were mixing all kinds of cola-based concoctions at the time. The Cuba Libre was one that stuck.

Variations of the Cuba Libre

The original rum used was Bacardi Carta de Oro, and Cuban rums are still preferred for a real authentic taste. Coca-Cola is, of course, the cola of choice, and the drink should be finished with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and a lime garnish.

Obvious and regularly used variations tend to start with the choice of rum and cola. Bacardi is often switched for a spiced rum and the cola used is usually whatever is readily available. The real discussion comes around the lime, however. Should it be simply squeezed and left, or muddled for a deeper flavour? In a 1939 book called the Gentlemen’s Companion, the writer complains that the Cuba Libre was sloppily created and without imagination. He claims that the original drink is too sweet and that the lime should be muddled in order to extract the fruits’ oils that would help to tone down the sugar.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good Saturday Morning all!  I can celebrate Husband Appreciation Day and will try my best to be extra good to DH.  But I'm a little afraid of bats.  If they stay out of my way they can eat all the insects they want.  The chowder suggestions sounds like something on a BHB menu.  

The port of the day sounds interesting but I have never been there.  Can someone tell us about it?  What cruise line takes you there?  I checked HAL and I don't see it on their list when cruise planning.  And we didn't even stop there on "The Best Norway Cruise Ever" in 2016 on the Prinsendam.  Huh!  Imagine that.  Since I have so much time on my hands (without a port to show photos of), here is a picture of the sunset as our Prinsendam left Ijmuiden on the above named cruise.  enhance

• Like 31

Good morning everyone. I appreciate my husband every day except for some minor slip ups on his or my part. He does so much to help me.

Not a fan of corn chowder or ham so I’ll look for something else for dinner.

My daughter was in her bed one night and when she looked up she saw a bat hand sticking down through the ceiling. It wasn’t until the next day that the trapper came, released the bat and sealed up the ceiling. She slept in a different room that night and I’m quite certain she wasn’t appreciative of that bat.

Stay safe everyone. Some of my vaccinated friends have resumed playing cards in each other’s homes and eating out together. With all the variants and people still getting very sick after being vaccinated, I can’t begin to imagine what my life will be like after I get vaccinated.

Carol

• Like 22

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Bats & husbands - hmmmm! What an interesting combo of days. And herbalists -  I will salute them all!

Roy, thank you for staying on top of all our happenings. Praying that everyone on our care list sees improvement or peace. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Another white wine today! The early morning thunder, lightning & downpours stopped just long enough for Bindi and I to get in our early morning walk.  Phew!  This weather is going to stick around for a few days, so no hiking this weekend. 

Interesting quote. Pass on the meal - not a fan of corn, unless it is in muffins or bread. Don’t drink Coke, so pass on the drink.  I believe eggplant cutlets are in my future, with some type of veggie, and marinara sauce. Then off to gather at a friends trying to work out all the questions we have for our TA, since we are meeting with him next week to discuss flights to Iceland. The most important detail, is that we need to be able to change the flights without incurring a penalty.  We’ll have some wine tonight, which will help the process I am sure. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

You might have a difficult time finding this particular Muscadet outside of Europe, but if you like dry white wines - look for other Muscadets locally. Though this one seems a bit less acidic than ones from other vintners, or even other vintages of the same wine. I found two European distributors who would ship to Florida. Prices started at $17.99. No clue what shipping would cost. 

Winemaker notes 

Muscadet is a light-bodied, dry white wine made from Melon de Bourgogne grapes that impart lemon, lime, green apple and pear flavors. This highly-acidic wine—also known for mineral and salty characteristics—is meant to be consumed young, and pairs well with seafood (a classic pairing is oysters).
Richer, creamier and more complex versions of Muscadet are also produced using winemaking techniques such as barrel fermentation and sur lie aging, which means the wine is left to age on the lees (expired yeast cells) after fermentation without filtering out the yeast sediment--a winemaking method that imparts a richer, creamier texture.
Melon de Bourgogne grows in the Muscadet appellation in the Pays Nantais of Lower Loire Valley near the Loire River in western France.
In 2011, a cru communaux system was developed in the Muscadet appellation to designate superior growing regions within the appellation.

93 - Wine Enthusiast #45 of the too 100

From one of the designated cru villages, this wine is ripe with maturity. That gives the wine a rich, nutty character as well as hints of yellow fruits and a soft final texture. It is concentrated and ready to drink.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

It  is  a  beautiful  sunny morning  here and  I  wish  all  of  you  the  best.  I  usually  appreciate  DH and  this "year  of  acute  togetherness" ,as  my DD  called  it, has  made  me  appreciate  him  even  more. We  find  ourselves  in  interesting  discussions and  usually  have  a  good  laugh together. We  are  fortunate  to  share a  lot  of  interests as  well.

Bats  can  be  appreciated  for  their  role  in  nature  but  I  have  a  healthy  fear  of  them . I  do  enjoy  seeing  them  hanging  upside  down  on  our  shed at  night. I  ask  that  they  swoop  for  insects  and  not  the  humans.

@NextOne, I am  sorry  to  hear  DH  is in  the  hospital. It  is  good  that  your  DS  can  be  with  you  now.

We  have  been  to  Norway  but  not  this  port. I  look  forward  to  info  about  it. Thanks  for  the  days,quote,recipes  and  all  other  interesting  information  that  comes  to  us  each  day.    Terry

• Like 18

17 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Wow Rich. Thank you for the information. 

Rum was my first drink of choice some 50 years ago. This was due, in part to a friend - a sergeant from Puerto Rico - that introduced me and helped me obtain it.

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I appreciate my husband every day, and he knows it.  I'm not really into a lot of herbs, but enjoy putting some fresh ones into daily meals. 

About bats.  We had a lovely tabby - Punkin - who was written up in the veterinarian journals because over the course of her 18 years, brought in over 2 dozen bats.  Each time she delivered one to our doorstep, we would bag it and take it to our local vet who sent it away for testing.  Twice we had to quarantine her for 6 months because the bats tested positive for rabies.  Fortunately we always had her vaccinations up to date (and of course at that time, cats were allowed to roam freely throughout the city, not like now), but we kept her on our screened and glassed-in deck for the full 6 months, only being able to interact with her when feeding her or changing her litter box.  The inspectors would show up at odd hours to be sure we weren't letting her into the house, but it beat the alternative, having to put her down.  Most summer evenings we can see bats swooping through our yard, catching insects, and we're happy to share the space with them.

I like today's menu suggestions, and have made ham and corn chowder often over the years (it's a great meal on a cold, wintry night).  However, after working in the yard most of the day, setting out pots, transplanting my teeny tomatoes, and getting ready for spring, we weren't too hungry, so still have pizza left from last night's dinner.  I'll reheat that and we'll sit on the deck enjoying the sunshine and have that tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Roy.  Raising the wine glasses to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands, wear your mask(s), and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25

Good Morning Everyone,  thanks for the daily.  @dfishtoday's meal looks very tasty and one that I'd be willing to make.  Any rum drink is welcome in this household. After nearly 27 years I'd better appreciate my DH.  This is a picture from our last cruise, Veendam, before the shutdown.

20191219_110414.jpg

• Like 27

Good Morning from a warm but overcast day at the beach

I appreciate my husband everyday. He is a wonderful man.   Bats? Necessary but not fond of them.

Have not been to Norway  (another cancelled trip) but it is on the list. Looking forward to the pictures. Love seeing and hearing about the ports I have not been to.

Today is Day 1 of the airshow. People have been coming in since before dawn. The park near me is almost full. They did practice runs yesterday so we really saw it already. Those planes and their pilots are amazing!!   We will stay put.

Be safe and enjoy today.

• Like 23

Today's sunrise is taken over water but is about as far from the ocean as one can get.  It is from my 2003 circumnavigation of the world featuring the Trans Siberian Railroad but cut short by SARS.  On April 13 I woke up on the shores of Lake Baikal. 

wrld2480.jpg.8aad964aa438d9187f80e80dfe22de10.jpg

Roy

• Like 32

Cuba Libre (aka Robin Coke) is my go-to cocktail.  I like mine made with Bacardi Limon, and a slice of lime. The lemony lime is refreshing!

Corn Chowder sounds tasty, and it’s a bit chilly here today.

For a couple of summers we had a bat that we dubbed Belfry take up residence in a corner of our front porch.  Since he slept all day, he didn’t bother us, and we didn’t bother him.  We miss him, and would welcome another.

Come on CDC and cruise lines, let’s get this show on the road - er, in the water!  I know we all feel this way, but sometimes I just have to blurt it out.  I’m so eager to hear that the ships are picking up crews, setting rules, and preparing for a stampede of passengers!

Take care, all - stay safe and healthy!

• Like 17

Good morning.  Our rain stopped about mid day yesterday.   Today is still cloudy, windy and chilly after a cold front came through last night.  

Bats perform a service by eating insects, but they are probably less appreciated after the past year.  DH is appreciated everyday.

Used to drink Cuba Libres a lot.  I’ve always had it with one or two lime wedges squeezed into it.  

The meal suggestion sounds good and would be good today.  Unfortunately there is no ham or corn in the house.  It could easily become a vegetarian dish by omitting the ham and using vegetable broth for when our two vegetarian family members visit.

We have not been to today’s port.  I looked it up on Google maps.  It is on a fjord that branches off the fjord on the way to Eidfjord which we visited on the Elegant Explorer in 2016.

Lenda

• Like 20

Our son was successful in getting his second Moderna shot yesterday. It was a nice day for the 4 hour round trip drive and we scored some delicious baked goods at Tobies in Hinkley, MN. 

Today in 2018, we were in Barcelona. We took a tour of the city that highlighted Gaudi's amazing architecture -

DSC_0612.thumb.JPG.9ba923c22e73e25df5f360d1debceb1f.JPG1533587384_DSC_0632(2).thumb.JPG.4f8f4d90bef0cbaf10a9d47815ffe0ed.JPG1408242167_DSC_0662(2).thumb.JPG.56a3408dde43255c9798bcb177c6ca2a.JPGDSC_0597.thumb.JPG.c6f4bded15e89ba7e9618e025bbf0572.JPGDSC_0586.thumb.JPG.40a35441a9e70bbbda1697d6344ae45c.JPG

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days - no husband to appreciate though. I saw bats in Mammoth Cave NP, although they were very concerned about white nose disease that is killing the bats.

I didn't appreciate it when a bat got in the house years ago. I woke up to it in my bedroom! I opened the door and it went up to the 3rd floor, where I closed all the room doors until a trapper could come.

I like the meal and Roy's meal. Cuba Libre was my drink of choice in college and in later years Rum and diet Coke when watching carbs.

I haven't been to the port of the day. Look forward to pics.

It's another cool, chilly day here. I'm watching the service for Prince Philip on TV.

@NextOne Sorry to hear DH is back in the hospital. I'm glad DS will be with you.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask. 

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 21