Tips for traveling with 2 year old - Carnival Dream

cruiser0216

Husband and I are experienced cruisers, but first time taking our 8, 6 and 2 year old on carnival dream December 2021.

What tips do you have for cruising with 2 year old? Planning to take a stroller, to use ship crib, sound machine, occasionally camp ocean. 

Should we take toys? 

Snacks? 

Kid friendly areas? 

Muster tips? 

Anything else? 

Also, did you send child to camp ocean and just adults go to mdr? Mdr dinner is our favorite part of the day and we need help figuring out how to do that without kids for at least some nights. Ideally 2 year old would go to bed by 8pm, but hoping she's flexible. 

Edited by cruiser0216

• cruiser0216 changed the title to Tips for traveling with 2 year old - Carnival Dream
1 hour ago, cruiser0216 said:

Husband and I are experienced cruisers, but first time taking our 8, 6 and 2 year old on carnival dream December 2021.

What tips do you have for cruising with 2 year old? Planning to take a stroller, to use ship crib, sound machine, occasionally camp ocean. 

Should we take toys? 

Snacks? 

Kid friendly areas? 

Muster tips? 

Anything else? 

Also, did you send child to camp ocean and just adults go to mdr? Mdr dinner is our favorite part of the day and we need help figuring out how to do that without kids for at least some nights. Ideally 2 year old would go to bed by 8pm, but hoping she's flexible. 

Muster is supposed to be on your app possibly or the tv in your cabin these days.

Special sealed snacks wouldnt hurt. Only factory sealed can be taken off in ports. Put juice in refrigerator during breakfast for later in the day if they drink juice. Milk is easy to get all meals.

Is it dream class that has the ov for 5 pax? It's just that one category. Even with a crib the cabin has to be designated for 5, or get 2 cabins.

Edited by firefly333

I have a small tip..We've seen some kids freak out at muster..probably over tired from traveling..when the crew tried to put the bracelet on them. So we prepped our grandson. We told him he was going to get an ice cream bracelet, so he could get free ice cream on the ship. It worked great and he was excited to get his bracelet. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Lil2Angelic said:

I have a small tip..We've seen some kids freak out at muster..probably over tired from traveling..when the crew tried to put the bracelet on them. So we prepped our grandson. We told him he was going to get an ice cream bracelet, so he could get free ice cream on the ship. It worked great and he was excited to get his bracelet. 

That's truly a brilliant piece of advice to get them to go to the drill and then wear the bracelet which my son hated, lol. Wish I'd thought of that when he was little.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jasonsterling said:

That's truly a brilliant piece of advice to get them to go to the drill and then wear the bracelet which my son hated, lol. Wish I'd thought of that when he was little.

Just remember its virtual now days, watch on your tv. .. but maybe you have to walk by or something.

I just tried to find a picture of the layout for the 5 pax ov, but didnt find one. It has two sections of bathroom, I think a toilet in both sides. 

Though I'm thinking small kids still get bracelets to identify them. Rcl did them as you board I noticed, so probably still something kids get and dont want to wear.

Edited by firefly333

51 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Just remember its virtual now days, watch on your tv. .. but maybe you have to walk by or something.

I don't know about that- is that what they're doing in Europe now after reopening? I was on the Vista February 29th last year, right before the shut down, and we still had to go to the muster drill. Maybe it's being rolled out ship to ship or on another line? Don't know.  

Be sure you do some trial run overnighters.   My niece lost her cruise fare finding out too late that her 2.5 year old could not sleep away from his own bed.  Unfortunately she found out at my house.  He has now grown out of that behavior but oh my it was rough.  He was the only one, the others are very “portable”

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I just tried to find a picture of the layout for the 5 pax ov, but didnt find one. It has two sections of bathroom, I think a toilet in both sides. 

Though I'm thinking small kids still get bracelets to identify them. Rcl did them as you board I noticed, so probably still something kids get and dont want to wear.

Only one toilet.  One room has toilet, sink, shower.  Other room has sink and small tub.  Cabin does not have more open space...extra space is the split bathrooms, and across from them an extra section of closet.  EM

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Only one toilet.  One room has toilet, sink, shower.  Other room has sink and small tub.  Cabin does not have more open space...extra space is the split bathrooms, and across from them an extra section of closet.  EM

2 sinks, I knew it had 2 of something. Close

1 hour ago, Jasonsterling said:

I don't know about that- is that what they're doing in Europe now after reopening? I was on the Vista February 29th last year, right before the shut down, and we still had to go to the muster drill. Maybe it's being rolled out ship to ship or on another line? Don't know.  

They cant do normal muster drills and social distance.

Maybe it was just early days here where I saw it here. Agree carnival itself hasnt restarted to be sure but idk how they cant change it to some type of remote viewing.

• Thanks 1

if your two year old a water baby they will love the water and the splash area and arcade lol 

mines was 9 months cruising and got ma everytime i took her out the splash area so I can eat and take my nap lol .

The onboard daycare is nice and now my daughter is 6 loves it even more because when the kiddos see one another passing on the ship they wave and talk and im like "you know that kid" lol. even on the islands they wave and talk and im just smiling.

but if your child isnt really a water baby not sure if a cruise a good fit 

21 hours ago, cruiser0216 said:

Should we take toys? 

Snacks? 

Kid friendly areas? 

Muster tips? 

Anything else? 

My daughter brings her 2 children on annual cruises.  Usually they eat with the family in the MDR.  But the 2 and 5 year old LOVED camp ocean.  So they fed the kids on occasion up at the Lido and then got them back into camp and they went to the MDR.  They are now 12 and 15 and still usually eat with the family but it is easy to get rid of them.  My daughter dumps them on her parents.  

During the day, most of the lounges are empty.  They are great places to allow the little ones to get some energy out.  They aren't bothering other guests and can run, play, and climb with parental supervision.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sagittarius traveler said:

if your two year old a water baby they will love the water and the splash area and arcade lol 

mines was 9 months cruising and got ma everytime i took her out the splash area so I can eat and take my nap lol .

The onboard daycare is nice and now my daughter is 6 loves it even more because when the kiddos see one another passing on the ship they wave and talk and im like "you know that kid" lol. even on the islands they wave and talk and im just smiling.

but if your child isnt really a water baby not sure if a cruise a good fit 

Remember that even in the splash area no swim diapers are allowed.  EM

23 hours ago, pcvtmom said:

During the day, most of the lounges are empty.  They are great places to allow the little ones to get some energy out.  They aren't bothering other guests and can run, play, and climb with parental supervision.

Good idea, thanks! 

On 4/17/2021 at 5:34 PM, firefly333 said:

Muster is supposed to be on your app possibly or the tv in your cabin these days.

Special sealed snacks wouldnt hurt. Only factory sealed can be taken off in ports. Put juice in refrigerator during breakfast for later in the day if they drink juice. Milk is easy to get all meals.

Is it dream class that has the ov for 5 pax? It's just that one category. Even with a crib the cabin has to be designated for 5, or get 2 cabins.

We considered the 5 pax cabins, but just felt too tight of a space so we went with 2 side by side cabins. So we lost the mini tub feature of the family Oceanview 5 pax cabin, but hoping lo will just shower with a parent or sibling. 

• Thanks 1

Not sure if this will apply to the 2 year old, but the older kids can eat dinner with camp ocean on some nights. it is not extra and it is great. our youngest son was 3 and potty-trained so he could do all of camp ocean. Even if not you can feed them and then drop them off. they can do camp ocean until like 8 or 9 before the fees start. We didn't bring an umbrella stroller, but it is very popular.

I would bring some zip lock bags. then you can put dry cereal in it at breakfast and take it as a snack. I saw another comment about only factory sealed food can leave the ship, but I have never had problems taking food off the ship. We usually bring some snacks when we just go have a beach day. usually you just walk off the ship, and then get scanned coming BACK from the island.

Generally- I would worry more about the older 2 being able to sit through an MDR dinner. people will be more understanding of the toddler (assuming he isn't just throwing a huge fit). You might be more frustrated that the older kids "ruined" the meal than the youngest.

HAVE FUN and allow yourselves to be more flexible in your plans. let them stay up, sleep in, take naps, lounge by a beach or pool. dont worry about others judging you.

13 hours ago, Denverdonkeys said:

Not sure if this will apply to the 2 year old, but the older kids can eat dinner with camp ocean on some nights. it is not extra and it is great. our youngest son was 3 and potty-trained so he could do all of camp ocean. Even if not you can feed them and then drop them off. they can do camp ocean until like 8 or 9 before the fees start. We didn't bring an umbrella stroller, but it is very popular.

I would bring some zip lock bags. then you can put dry cereal in it at breakfast and take it as a snack. I saw another comment about only factory sealed food can leave the ship, but I have never had problems taking food off the ship. We usually bring some snacks when we just go have a beach day. usually you just walk off the ship, and then get scanned coming BACK from the island.

Generally- I would worry more about the older 2 being able to sit through an MDR dinner. people will be more understanding of the toddler (assuming he isn't just throwing a huge fit). You might be more frustrated that the older kids "ruined" the meal than the youngest.

HAVE FUN and allow yourselves to be more flexible in your plans. let them stay up, sleep in, take naps, lounge by a beach or pool. dont worry about others judging you.

Thank you! Good idea about the zip lock bags and encouragement to be flexible. 

Big kids will definitely be in camp Ocean with their cousins over dinner. They are pumped! 🙂