Anyone know if crew are already onboard the ships sailing this summer.

seapals2

6 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Please could you point me in the direction of the information about cruise lines guaranteeing their crews would be vaccinated by the end of the year.  

I have only been following Princess and P&O as they are who I will be sailing with, but they both state crews will not be vaccinated, but will have been in quarantine.  I would be interested to read who is stating that they will be vaccinations all their crew by the end of the year.

my heart breaks for those in India, I can’t imagine the horror they are coping with right now. 

There is no guarantee about anything, least of all that crews will be vaccinated; however, the likes of RCI and NCL have said publicly that they expect their crew to be vaccinated

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24657-how-royal-caribbean-group-ensures-its-crew-get-vaccinated.html

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24691-norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-to-require-crew-to-be-vaccinated-against-covid-19.html

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/04/05/norwegian-cruise-line-require-full-vaccinations-passengers-crew/7089216002/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Thank you, I don’t follow RC or NCL news, off to have a read...

4 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

There is no guarantee about anything, least of all that crews will be vaccinated; however, the likes of RCI and NCL have said publicly that they expect their crew to be vaccinated

"Expect to be" and "will be" are very different and in this context just marketing speak in my view. 

• Like 1

Just now, MX-Drew said:

"Expect to be" and "will be" are very different and in this context just marketing speak in my view. 

I completely agree and think its nothing more than 'pie in the sky' to suggest that crew from all corners of the globe (many from developing countries) will somehow manage to get vaccinated when the likes of Canada and other Western nations are struggling to vaccinate their population

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Please could you point me in the direction of the information about cruise lines guaranteeing their crews would be vaccinated by the end of the year.  

I have only been following Princess and P&O as they are who I will be sailing with, but they both state crews will not be vaccinated, but will have been in quarantine.  I would be interested to read who is stating that they will be vaccinations all their crew by the end of the year.

my heart breaks for those in India, I can’t imagine the horror they are coping with right now. 

Celebrity, RCCL and Saga have said that their crew will be vaccinated when they start cruising again.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

I completely agree and think its nothing more than 'pie in the sky' to suggest that crew from all corners of the globe (many from developing countries) will somehow manage to get vaccinated when the likes of Canada and other Western nations are struggling to vaccinate their population

I agree what happens just has to remain to be seen, but "the end of the year" is a long time away and with extra vaccine development, even Western Countries that are having a slow start are looking like momentum can pick up as the year progresses.  There could also be a lot of current vaccine around that many nations will not want by then, since the second version to cover some variants will be what is being used here, and elsewhere - whether it is worth having by then also remains to be seen!

No assurance, but I would not be surprised if the cruise lines can buy vaccine from somewhere as the year progresses.  It would not help with ships sailing over the summer or into the autumn though, which is the current problem.    

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Celebrity, RCCL and Saga have said that their crew will be vaccinated when they start cruising again.

Not Saga. They were the first to state that all passengers must be vaccinated, but the crew will be vaccinated "when possible". See the FAQ link attached.

https://travel.saga.co.uk/travel-updates/cruise-coronavirus-vaccine.aspx

37 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

Not Saga. They were the first to state that all passengers must be vaccinated, but the crew will be vaccinated "when possible". See the FAQ link attached.

https://travel.saga.co.uk/travel-updates/cruise-coronavirus-vaccine.aspx

Sorry my mistake I thought that they had said all crew and passengers as they were one of the first to say passengers had to be vaccinated.

I didn’t think Celebrity were saying their crew will be vaccinated for the U.K. sailings.

I stand corrected - I have just googled it and see various articles where Celebrity says it expects it’s crew to be vaccinated for the sailings. The devil is in the detail = expect 🤷‍♀️.

Edited by downsmead

6 minutes ago, downsmead said:

I didn’t think Celebrity were saying their crew will be vaccinated for the U.K. sailings.

"Celebrity Cruises has confirmed it will utilise crew who have already been vaccinated against Covid-19 for its series of UK sailings". The statement was made public on TravelWeekly on April 1st.

19 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

I know in their adverts on line for this summers staycation cruises RC stated their crew would be vaccinated. Wouldn't want to post a line for another line on here, have a look. Now whether it does still say that ofcourse is another matter.  Yes agree princess and pando both say their crew will not be vaccinated.

For my sins I follow a TV series that has a large American following , a lot of them want to come over to Scotland this summer. I think unless that once restrictions end countries can say unilaterally to come here you have to be jabbed, I cannot see any difference between pre pandemic and free for all now. Hence i cannot see the world really opening up. It will just lurch from one lockdown to another  (as in Europe) Let people have the choice as to whether they have the vaccine, but if you choose not to ,then you will not be travelling anywhere.

• Like 1

While I know this is not the RC forum, interesting article about their planned Israel sailings - which, if the article is correct, may not be going quite as planned for either cruises or crew vaccinations.

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2021/04/articles/disease/odyssey-of-the-seas-arrives-in-israel-israels-minstry-of-health-still-has-not-approved-royal-caribbeans-health-protocols/

Methinks the lines that did NOT declare that all crew would be vaccinated played the sensible card.

2 hours ago, nosapphire said:

While I know this is not the RC forum, interesting article about their planned Israel sailings - which, if the article is correct, may not be going quite as planned for either cruises or crew vaccinations.

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2021/04/articles/disease/odyssey-of-the-seas-arrives-in-israel-israels-minstry-of-health-still-has-not-approved-royal-caribbeans-health-protocols/

Methinks the lines that did NOT declare that all crew would be vaccinated played the sensible card.

Completely agree, and as mentioned I think the lofty remark about having all crew being vaccinated is/was nothing more than a marketing strategy to try and assure future cruisers of the perceived 'safety' from COVID onboard.  Similar I think to another line that was touting their having a lab onboard for testing as a means of marketing strategy in lieu of passengers being fully vaccinated. 

Big deal, all that's going to do is give results based on a snapshot in time for when people are tested but it does little IMO to stop the spread in an already confined environment as was seen onboard SeaDream who claimed to have a  robust testing program as well...

• Like 2

Someone posted on a Princess thread a link to the Port Everglades webcam earlier this week, claiming it showed Caribbean Princess coming into port to allow crew to receive vaccine jabs, utilising stock that was about to expire. 

I am still of the opinion all cruise lines would prefer their crew to be fully vaccinated, and it is their intention to facilitate this as soon as there is vaccine available. 

Edited by Pink-belle
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Someone posted on a Princess thread a link to the Port Everglades webcam earlier this week, claiming it showed Caribbean Princess coming into port to allow crew to receive vaccine jabs, utilising stock that was about to expire. 

If that is the case, how do they guarantee the second jab? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

I have no idea, if the story it true it may be a case of one jab better than none, and who knows what the situation will be in 12 weeks.  Again, if true, a jab in the arm is better than an expired vaccine in a bin. 

That is very true, no vaccine should be wasted. It does make me wonder why the US has vaccine close to expiry and why they can't use it on their own nationals.

• Like 1

Apparently a lot of states in the USA will vaccinate anybody, not just locals which makes it a lot easier to vaccinate crew. 

We should be OK in the UK this summer even if the crew are not vaccinated as we will be and the crew have been in quarantine for ages.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

I have no idea, if the story it true it may be a case of one jab better than none, and who knows what the situation will be in 12 weeks.  Again, if true, a jab in the arm is better than an expired vaccine in a bin. 

True but not fully vaccinated as stated by the cruise lines and required by the cruise lines.

Edited by MX-Drew

44 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

True but not fully vaccinated as stated by the cruise lines and required by the cruise lines.

As I have said previously, I only follow P&O and Princess the two lines I am cruising with this year, their crew will be quarantined and undergo regular testing.  Not required to be vaccinated. So if anyone is able to get a vaccine for personal protection then I am happy for them. 
I felt like I had won the lottery when I got my first jab. 

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

That is very true, no vaccine should be wasted. It does make me wonder why the US has vaccine close to expiry and why they can't use it on their own nationals.

I think it could be due to lack of organisation, our system here has been fantastic, whereas in Florida it’s turn up and get vaccinated when you want too.

I only reported what I had seen on a Princess thread, I have no idea which vaccine it was, they have stocks of AZ in the USA, but I don’t think they have it approved for use, I wonder if that prevents them from passing it on? 

• Like 2

Just now, Pink-belle said:

I think it could be due to lack of organisation, our system here has been fantastic, whereas in Florida it’s turn up and get vaccinated when you want too.

I only reported what I had seen on a Princess thread, I have no idea which vaccine it was, they have stocks of AZ in the USA, but I don’t think they have it approved for use, I wonder if that prevents them from passing it on? 

They do have considerable stock of AZ, I did see a report that they were going to send it to other countries as they had enough of other makes. They would not be able to give the ships crew AZ vaccine in the States until approved, but maybe they could give it to the cruise line to administer outside US waters, as they do have a vested interest. My moral compass says this would be wrong as they should send it to poorer countries to vaccinate the more vulnerable.

• Like 4