Elevator concerns with wheelchair

Hangman115

Try to avoid using the elevators at busy times. After a show we wait in the theatre until everyone else has used the elevator. 

Another tip is to drive slowly, you will be surprised at the number of people who think it's acceptable to step out in front of a wheelchair.

• Like 3

No matter which way you want to go, get on the first elevator possible when one stops. If you're trying to go up, go ahead and take a down elevator if it comes first, it will eventually go back up and you'll already be on it.

Pack your patience following big events, like the sail away party and the evening shows. I don't even attempt to go near the elevators for at least 30 minutes afterwards. I hang out on deck or in the theater.

Your chair is pretty maneuverable. If possible, try to spin around after entering the elevator so you can face the doors. Pulling out is much safer and easier than backing out. I've used a scooter in the past (which had too big a turning radius), and had to back out, almost running over people who were crowding the doors trying to get in.

By the way, I travel by myself and am in a chair. The first cruise was scary, but now it's great. Enjoy your trip!

• Like 2

Some good advice/tips provided.  I use a scooter instead of a wheelchair and have experienced some very rude people.  On the other hand,  I have seen LOTS of very polite and courteous folks.  Enjoy your cruise...

• Like 3

There are previous threads about elevators and scooters that you might want to take a look at since they would also apply to power chairs.   (search for elevators and scooters in this forum).  

I agree with the poster about taking any empty (or mostly empty) elevator no matter which direction it is going.  And backing in if possible.

You will think you must be invisible with people barging ahead and cutting in front of you getting on elevators - oblivious that you are even there.  The busy times are the worst (like disembarking, etc).  Although there are many very polite passengers, there are plenty who will squeeze in ahead of you even though you have been waiting a long time for the elevator.  Give yourself plenty of time and patience during peak elevator times.  

On occasion, some passengers will actually see your plight and help get you on an elevator (by holding the elevator door and asking other elevator boarders to please wait a moment and allow the man in the wheelchair to board).  

Enjoy your cruise and will probably have an elevator story to tell when you get home.  

• Like 4

My favorite trick is to simply go to the other bank of elevators. Often when the theater/dinner lets out the elevators next to that venue are packed. Depending on the ship you can cruise to a different bank of elevator in the middle or other end of the ship. Most people don't want to walk that far but all it cost us a little battery charge. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for your wonderful advice.  Looks like I am almost ready to try some of your wisdom.  My sailing on MSC Divina has been announced as a GO. I just got me a mew wheelchair. Don't need any breakdowns on the ship if you know what I mean.  And there are three banks of elevators on my ship. So if one is busy. I can always roll on down to one or more of the other two.  Afterall. This is my vacation. I'm in no hurry to get anywhere. Take my time. Be polite. Have patience.  And ENJOY my cruise297222629_newchairsm.jpg.9457b299cd583d76749593e606aac720.jpg886816148_newchairsm2.png.5339fb5852ec36df8faf01d015eba755.png

With three or four banks of elevators you will seldom be at the bank closest to your cabin, so no issues in going to a different bank, you will need to travel that far anyway we normally book midship and if we are fore or aft we will need to go to midship either before or after the elevator ride, so choose according to the amount of people waiting on the elevator to arrive.

I know the OP is not asking his question about the Princess Ships, but for anyone who is reading this and is likely to be on a Princess ship I would like to advise them that it does definitely make a difference to which bank of elevators you go to on Princess since their hallways are VERY NARROW.  In the morning and in the evening the service carts are left out in the hall and make it impossible for my husband to pass with his mobility scooter and I've also seen wheelchairs have the same problem.

I usually go ahead of my husband and push the carts out of they way, when I can.  The accessible staterooms are nearer to the front bank of elevators and these are also the ones that fill up after the evening show in the theater.  We have had to wait for  fifteen or twenty minutes sometimes until the crowd has diminished before we can get on one.  We also know the trick of getting on whichever direction it is going.

I definitely agree, be polite and have patience but I wish the able bodied passengers would also follow that advice.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 3:02 PM, CRUISEWITHH said:

In the morning and in the evening the service carts are left out in the hall and make it impossible for my husband to pass with his mobility scooter and I've also seen wheelchairs have the same problem.

Man, no one I cruise with uses a scooter but I have always wondered how the heck they're supposed to get around the carts in the hallways! Sometimes it seems flat out impossible. I guess you can always ask someone to move them, but if you're going about on your own you might have to wait for someone to come by eventually.

10 minutes ago, rabidstoat said:

Man, no one I cruise with uses a scooter but I have always wondered how the heck they're supposed to get around the carts in the hallways! Sometimes it seems flat out impossible. I guess you can always ask someone to move them, but if you're going about on your own you might have to wait for someone to come by eventually.

Yep the carts make it hard.