Vaccine and other precautions yes testing no

Peachypooh

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Can you explain that again for me, I'm still not following (sorry).

I do understand that false positives increase in areas with less covid. Or decrease in areas highly infected.

What I don't understand is why, with such a high number of false positives, the tests are even being administered? 

Hard false positives are 2% making testing , if you have reason to test, worthwhile. The rapid test and PCR tests have different sensitivity and differing % of false positives and negatives and as an old lab hand, testing errors. Screening testing of all types is suggested only if the cost/ benefit ratio works out. If a person is having symptoms ir has been in contact with an infected person, then it makes sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Funny mask story:  My son and I just spent four days at Universal Orlando.  On the second day, we went to Islands of Adventure in our "water ride" clothes so we could ride them all multiple times, then go back to our resort and change.  We literally walked onto Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls with no one else ahead of us.  In the process of getting into the log ride, we didn't hear the employee tell us we could take our masks off.  Big mistake.  I almost drowned in my mask when we went down the last hill!!  That thing was so saturated I could not get any air through it.  😄 

After that, we made sure to take off our masks on all three of the water rides.

On Jurassic Park river ride when the operator said take off your masks everyone in our boat looked at each other and said wait, did he just say we can take off our masks?  Two guys in front of us said yeah, I think that is what he said.  We all took them off and it felt like we were breaking the law!  For those 5 minutes on the ride we were free once again!!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I believe that is also the case in Hawaii, which helps some (but is still confusing at the surface).

I'm not sure if that is the case in Michigan. I know that my friends entire family was quarantined over the weekend. Her son missed a baseball tournament. The kids were not allowed to attend school due to a positive PCR test on Sunday, but when the test was redone today, it was determined that her daughter was recovered.

None of this makes sense to me.... but maybe it's just me :(. 

No, it's definitely not just you!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Funny mask story:  My son and I just spent four days at Universal Orlando.  On the second day, we went to Islands of Adventure in our "water ride" clothes so we could ride them all multiple times, then go back to our resort and change.  We literally walked onto Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls with no one else ahead of us.  In the process of getting into the log ride, we didn't hear the employee tell us we could take our masks off.  Big mistake.  I almost drowned in my mask when we went down the last hill!!  That thing was so saturated I could not get any air through it.  😄 

After that, we made sure to take off our masks on all three of the water rides.

So, essentially a case of 'self-inflicted waterboarding'?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, farmersfight said:

I was under the impression that if you were actively drinking, you could keep the mask off. So my plan is, is to remain actively drinking at all times during my cruise (except when I'm passed out in my stateroom).

I understand that some are developing a mask with a built in straw allowing you to remain masked while drinking.

Others have proposed running all food through a blender which would all you to drink your meals through the straw/mask too.

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

There is some good news for you today. 

-The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is issuing new guidance on outdoor mask use for fully vaccinated Americans.

-Fully vaccinated people can unmask outdoors if they are walking, running, hiking or biking alone or with members of their household. 

-The fully vaccinated can also go mask free while dining at an outdoor restaurant with friends from multiple households. 

-The new outdoor mask recommendations were announced Tuesday by CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky during a White House Covid-19 briefing.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-vaccine-updates-04-27-21/h_0c886b8488890f311f105fa8cee5d62d

Of course, this doesn't mean cruise ships will immediately ditch the requirement, but it is a step in the right direction! 

I'm glad CDC is updating their guidance to the common sense guidance my family follows.

We do not wear masks while outdoors.

Looking forward to additional CDC guidance like what we follow indoors:  We do not wear masks while indoors at most establishments since most businesses in our area no longer enforce the masking requirements.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I'm glad CDC is updating their guidance to the common sense guidance my family follows.

Looking forward to additional CDC guidance like what we follow indoors:  We do not wear masks while indoors at most establishments since most businesses in our area no longer enforce the masking requirements.

Well until that's the case worldwide, we will all have to follow the rules where we are. When you're on vacation, you're not "In your area" anymore so what happens in your town does not apply. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I agree. Wearing masks outside never made sense to me (unless maybe I was at an outdoor concert which wasn't an option either). Unfortunately, I'm heading back to Michigan where we much more restricted than what you describe.

Granted, our cases are high, but throughout the entire pandemic Michigan has had some of the most restrictive policies. I think that's why people in Michigan are rebelling. Remember, we were the state where it was illegal to buy paint for 3 months (seriously).

-Not only are face masks required both indoors and outdoors, but this was added ...."Beginning April 26, all face mask requirements apply to children ages 2-4. A good faith effort must be made to ensure that these children wear masks while in gatherings at childcare facilities or camps."

- Quarantining is still for 14 days (4 days more than the CDC recommends) and all close contacts in school must quarantine regardless whether or not they can provide a negative test (makes zero sense). This has resulted in one out of two high schools in my district being forced to go back to virtual schooling because more the 50% of the students were in close contact.

-Obliviously Mask wearing is required at all indoor establishments. Many are still capacity controlled. Indoor dining is still 50%. Exercise, fitness, and sports is still 30% max. It don't believe there is a single industry at 100% yet.

-Get this: Even outdoor recreation is capped at 50% and a mask required! Kids are playing outdoor baseball with a mask!

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Haha 1

Fact of the matter is that we don't need to agree with restrictions or decisions. They are what they are and we either agree to deal so we can cruise or we disagree and choose not to.

It really is that simple. I'm vaccinated, I'll take tests whenever they want and I'll wear a mask anywhere I need to, just get me on my ship 😄

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Fact of the matter is that we don't need to agree with restrictions or decisions. They are what they are and we either agree to deal so we can cruise or we disagree and choose not to.

It really is that simple. I'm vaccinated, I'll take tests whenever they want and I'll wear a mask anywhere I need to, just get me on my ship 😄

Or, if we disagree, we work to have the rules changed peacefully :)

I do agree that if you are going to go on a ship, you know their rules before boarding, you should abide. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who feel the rules don't apply to them. I suspect this is an entirely different issue :(. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Or, if we disagree, we work to have the rules changed peacefully 🙂

I do agree that if you are going to go on a ship, you know their rules before boarding, you should abide. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who feel the rules don't apply to them. I suspect this is an entirely different issue :(. 

I just feel that we have far more important world issues than "I don't wanna wear a mask on a cruise" - I mean, talk about first world problems 😛

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I just feel that we have far more important world issues than "I don't wanna wear a mask on a cruise" - I mean, talk about first world problems 😛

I agree that those who are against mask wearing on a cruise shouldn't book a cruise requiring masks. Those who feel more comfortable with everyone vaccinated should book a cruise requiring vaccinations. If you aren't happy with the rules of the cruise line, there are LOTS of other vacation choices. It really is that simple. 

With that said, there is going to be a percentage of people who book, knowing the rules, yet fully intending to break them. Human nature.

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

I agree that those who are against mask wearing on a cruise shouldn't book a cruise requiring masks. Those who feel more comfortable with everyone vaccinated should book a cruise requiring vaccinations. If you aren't happy with the rules of the cruise line, there are LOTS of other vacation choices. It really is that simple. 

With that said, there is going to be a percentage of people who book, knowing the rules, yet fully intending to break them. Human nature.

Yeah, I totally agree.

I feel like rules will be relaxed in time so people who want to wait can absolutely wait and it'll be back to "normal" eventually.

But me? I'm desperate to go now and so I got an amazing deal on the Epic in September from Rome and it's something I'm SUPER excited for 🙂

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I agree. Wearing masks outside never made sense to me (unless maybe I was at an outdoor concert which wasn't an option either). Unfortunately, I'm heading back to Michigan where we much more restricted than what you describe.

Granted, our cases are high, but throughout the entire pandemic Michigan has had some of the most restrictive policies. I think that's why people in Michigan are rebelling. Remember, we were the state where it was illegal to buy paint for 3 months (seriously).

-Not only are face masks required both indoors and outdoors, but this was added ...."Beginning April 26, all face mask requirements apply to children ages 2-4. A good faith effort must be made to ensure that these children wear masks while in gatherings at childcare facilities or camps."

- Quarantining is still for 14 days (4 days more than the CDC recommends) and all close contacts in school must quarantine regardless whether or not they can provide a negative test (makes zero sense). This has resulted in one out of two high schools in my district being forced to go back to virtual schooling because more the 50% of the students were in close contact.

-Obliviously Mask wearing is required at all indoor establishments. Many are still capacity controlled. Indoor dining is still 50%. Exercise, fitness, and sports is still 30% max. It don't believe there is a single industry at 100% yet.

-Get this: Even outdoor recreation is capped at 50% and a mask required! Kids are playing outdoor baseball with a mask!

What in the world is in the water in Michigan?  

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

What in the world is in the water in Michigan?  

Lead, unfutunately, at least in Flint.
Seriously, you had a lot of anger & non-compliance in the beginning, cases went up, rules became more restrictive in one endless loop. 
The latest variant infects a large portion of children & young adults, and hospitals in some areas of Michigan are overwhelmed. Michigan, like Ohio doesn't have great weather for outside activities and indoor venues spread the infection. Little guys can get Misc-C after they've had Covid. A nurse in the next town from us whose entire family had Covid got a call from her 6 month old's daycare because he was turning blue.Not a call anyone wants to get.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Well until that's the case worldwide, we will all have to follow the rules where we are. When you're on vacation, you're not "In your area" anymore so what happens in your town does not apply. 

No, I do not have to wait until the rules change around the entire world.  

The rules in my town do apply since I have a choice to remain in my town or not go on a cruise where masks are required.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

(Snipped)

I can understand the guidance to wear masks outdoors... in Ireland it’s been outdoors if you are within 2m. I work in a seaside town and the moment the 5km travel limit lifted the promenade just filled with people, the car parks were as busy as peak summer until the weather turned wet yesterday. 
Most of those people were stationary sitting on the wall or rocks and rarely maintained a 2m distance.  That’s an uncontrolled outdoor setting where wearing a mask is a good idea. 

2 weeks ago I had to haul a delivery of stock a distance from where the truck could park to our shop, my watch told me I walked 4.5km doing that manual haulage. Because of the people hanging about I had to keep my mask on 80% of the time.
I was fit to throttle one dingbat who kept approaching me causing me to have to put the mask back on. The total airhead who kept approaching was busy saying how terrible it was that I had to carry all the boxes so far while being utterly oblivious to the fact I had to drop said box to put my mask back on because she kept approaching. 🤯

If you see someone doing manual labour stay the heck away from them so they don’t have to wear a mask to protect themselves. 

A mask is not mandatory when exercising or doing physical work here in Ireland but I have to be cautious because I’m an asthmatic with a couple of other underlying conditions. And no I couldn’t get someone else to do it as 2 of our staff are sitting on their arses at home getting paid to do nothing (one for lack of childcare for 3 kids she 100% planned as a single mom without any family support) (the other because he’s a hypochondriac) so the only other person working is my mother and she had to stay at the shop to prevent any of the boxes going walkies. 

sorry I may have just pushed my own buttons there... 

• Like 1

In general I agree with the preference to not have to test to engage in a vacation. But the way MSC did it, I am ok with. They give everyone the rapid test. If you test positive on that they then give you a PCR test and are apparently able to get the results back prior to boarding. You are only denied boarding if you test positive on both. Yes, I think the chance of a false positive on the antigen test alone is too high. But I think the chance of falsely testing positive twice on two different types of tests would be quite low. 

• Like 1