The Daily for Wednesday Apr 28, 2021

richwmn

Today is International Astronomy Day, Great Poetry Reading Day, and Kiss Your Mate Day

"Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you're living? - Bob Marley"

Meal suggestion for today - Quick-Fix Barbecued Fajitas

Drink of the Day - Candy Cane Vodka

Wine of the day - Edetària Garnatxa Blanca Terra Alta Via Terra 2017

Port of the Day - Tracy Arm Inlet

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/28
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 4/30
Zuiderdam Destination Long Beach eta 4/29

Corfu GR
Volendam

Freeport BS
Nieuw Statendam anchorage

La Paz MX
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam

Limassol CY
Zaandam

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage

Trieste, IT
Rotterdam

0428USA.thumb.png.b57836f7be1edc5bdf214a75b2832996.png

0428Europe.thumb.png.e717739723c9568487f241eea8d7bca6.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  Happy Hump Day.

Thunderstorms in our forecast for today.

An interesting collection of days, I will kiss my mate, we don't need a day to tell us.😉

The quote is very thought provoking.

Thanks for the dinner suggestion, but we're doing take out.🙂

The drink sounds like it should be a Christmas beverage.  Hope the wine is good.

Have a good day.

Stay safe.

• Like 19

Thank you for the final Hump Day Daily of April, Rich.  A great selection of days and especially Astronomy day right after the Super Moon yesterday.  Marley's quote is interesting.  Tracy Arm is stunning.  I'll pass on the Fajitas.  My alternative is Canaletto Salad, Chicken Parmigiano, and Postachio Gelato, as served on MS Nieuw Statendam April 28, 2019.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/dishes28.jpg

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac surgery May 14

Welfare of furloughed crews

India

NextOne DH in hospital

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome terrydtx

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Las Vegas getaway for Sharon

Welcome home Crazy for Cats

Nieuw Statendam in Port Everglades Saturday

New CDC guidance for fully vaccinated

Great birthday celebration for cunnorl

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Today, if my notes are correct, marks the start of the third year of my Fleet Report, now the Daily.

For the most part, it has been fun doing it.

Three years already?  Wow 😳 

Thank you for your dedication to this most enjoyable thread ♥️ 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

I remember those days sitting outside with the telescope until the wee hours.  I went on a couple outings with the local Astronomy Club and really enjoyed it. 

Today's quote is something we should ask ourselves often and if the answer is no, make the necessary changes.   

Many thanks to Rich for three years of the Fleet Repot/Daily threads.   You have provided many of us with the home and outreach we needed during this pandemic.  This is a safe place.

Off to the pool before the rain comes and then I have Zoom meetings this afternoon.  Unless thunderstorms shut us down.

Today's meal looks tasty.   I'd do it without the tortillas for a more carb friendly meal.  

https://www.kraftcanada.ca/recipe/quick-fix-barbecued-fajitas-92122

500 Calories per serving, fat 16g, cholesterol 90 mg, sodium 1130 mg, carbohydrate 52g, protein 40g.  

quick fix barbecued fajitas.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Great collection of days!  Like @puppycanducruise I don’t need a day to remind me to kiss my mate 😉 

Good quote by Marley.  We just had tacos last night so I’ll save the fajitas for another time.

Looks like the sun is going to shine today.  Since it’s the only day without rain, I better try to get some of my perennials in.  Some people would say I have too many 😉 

B3B3FFD6-9A74-42E4-8820-F11C6EFAF9F3.jpeg.9bfee02f2cde491256439bb1d5b367f8.jpeg

If your patience is wearing thin with people and covid these days remember....

A3C0FD18-A75A-4B10-B431-F53328A54275.jpeg.82283c5aeb5de3f5b24d55cc91e1a0e5.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Hump day everyone!

5EC98C4A-10E8-4BE2-8679-A0F111118946.thumb.jpeg.adcf651567b1e0bc7b9046ba7305a899.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Good morning all and thank you for the Daily Rich, happy three year anniversary to the Daily.     It’s drizzly and cloudy here so I don’t think that a telescope would be of much use.  I think I’ll try and read something by Emily Dickenson today and I will kiss my mate who seems to be suffering from body aches from the second Pfizer vaccine yesterday.  We’ve sailed past Tracy Arm but didn’t stop.  Prayers to those in need of them cheers to those celebrating something special.

• Like 18

28 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Today, if my notes are correct, marks the start of the third year of my Fleet Report, now the Daily.

For the most part, it has been fun doing it.

I guess my wording wasn't the best. I have completed two (2) years of providing the location of the Holland America fleet following on the efforts of others. Today is the first issue of year three.

Rich

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I guess my wording wasn't the best. I have completed two (2) years of providing the location of the Holland America fleet following on the efforts of others. Today is the first issue of year three.

Rich

Wow, time flies.

Keep up the good work, this thread is a great place to be.❤️

• Like 14

Good morning.  Love looking at the stars, especially on a BHB.  Good poetry is enjoyable and I kiss my mate often.  Good Marley quote.  We've looked within often this past year.  Will pass on the meal, although Debbie's picture looks so good.  I would love to order Roy's.

I've enjoyed Rich's reports so much, can't believe it's been 3 years.

Prayers and toasts for our lists.  Happy the Celebration list is getting so long.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Candy Cane Vodka:

Ingredients
Crushed peppermint candy, for rimming 3/4 ounce berry vodka 3/4 ounce peppermint schnapps 3/4 ounce white crème de cacao 1/4 ounce grenadine 1 ounce half-and-half 1 splash soda water

Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Rim a cocktail glass with crushed peppermint candy, using one of the liquid ingredients to wet the rim.
Pour the vodka, peppermint schnapps, white creme de cacao, and grenadine into a cocktail shaker with ice.
Shake well.
Strain into the prepared cocktail glass.
Fill with half-and-half and top with a splash of soda water.
Serve and enjoy.

Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 7.21.03 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Rich

However you parse it, thank you. I only looked at the fleet report sporadically but have been here for the daily almost since the beginning. It has been a safe and interesting place to be so thank you very much.

• Like 20

41 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Rich

Two years, or three years.  Still, thanks so much for providing a great place to start each day.  And occasionally visit later in the day.  Thanks to you, Rich, Roy, the drink and recipe ladies, and ALL of you who respond so positively every day.  It IS appreciated very much.

Charles

Edited by ChaCr
  • Like 16

Happy Anniversary, Rich, and a big THANK YOU!! 

I don’t think I ever looked at the Fleet Report, but have become a regular follower of The Daily.

Thank you, too, to all of the regular posters.  I don’t want to name each poster individually because I know I will forget someone and all of you make this thread such a Daily Delight.

Stay Safe!

• Like 19

Happy Anniversary, Rich! I appreciate all the work that goes in to making this happen. Thank you for today’s Daily. Another stellar combination of Days!

Thank you for our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Love Mr. Marley’s quote! I might try today’s recipe, but wrap the filling in big lettuce leaves. The drink sounds good, but looks a bit too much like Pepto Bismol for me. 🙃 I sailed Tracy Arm back in 1995, and have no digital pictures to share.

Another beautiful day here. Need to do another wash down of my outside furniture. I do not know where all this pollen is coming from. And my sinuses are not happy. This is my fifth Spring here, and I have never been bothered so much by the pollen. Still better than snow. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

I am putting this Spanish white wine on my list, though I might have to hunt for it. It might be a bit too sweet for me, but I won’t know unless I try it. I could not find any online distributors for the 2017 vintage, but since all released vintages share the same very good ratings, I can opt for the 2018 vintage. I found several distributors with prices starting at $15.00 for a bottle. 

Winemaker Notes

#47 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

This wine is made from White Garnacha (100%) from 20 years old vineyards from the terroir “tapàs”. After fermentation at controlled temperature 63ºF, we work wine on their lees. The aim is to achieve the best expression of each grape. Yellow, straw-colored, clean and bright. Fresh fruit, especially a bouquet of apricot, melon, pear on syrup and cinnamon. Strong mouth entrance with a big fruit explosion. In the mouth is sweet-toothed. Highly fresh, very integrated acidity and a very especial end that brings up to the mouth a long and persistent finish. Excellent with seafood, alive oysters, grilled prawns, as well as rice and grilled fish.

JS92 James Suckling: A bright array of melon and pear with a lighter palate and an apple, light lemon and peach finish. 
WS91 Wine Spectator: This white has a thick texture, delivering pear, guava, tarragon and blanched almond flavors. Firm acidity and a touch of tannins give this a solid frame. Muscular, but remains balanced. Drink now through 2023. 5,000 cases made.

• Like 23

Thank you  Rich  for  starting  this  so  long  ago. It  is  fun  to  check  in  on  our  BHB's,quotes,lists and  various  recipes. I  liked  the  Bob  Marley  quote. It  is  appropriate  for  our  times  these  days. DH  will certainly  be  kissed  and  like  the  others ,we  don't  need  a  special  day  for  that. We  sailed  by  Tracy  Arm  but  were not  able  to  go  in. I  am  looking  forward  to  seeing  great  pictures  from  Alaska  today. The  recipe  will  be  saved  for  another  day  as  we  have  family  visiting(wow!) again   and  I  have  been  cooking  and  baking like  crazy. Tomorrow  we  will  go  to  the  Bronx  Zoo  with  the  grandchildren  and  we  are  all  looking  forward  to  it.

I  feel  as  if  I  am  very  cautiously  stepping  away  from  our  isolated  life. I  met  a  friend  for  lunch  inside  a  restaurant  and  felt  ok  about  it. It  was  difficult  for  me  to  get  over  my constant  caution and  these  small  steps  certainly  make today  seem  more  "normal". My  DGD  calls  everything  pre  Covid the  "before times".          Terry

• Like 18

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach.

On our last voyage before the shutdown, we were in the S. Pacific. Up on deck at night, one of the ships officers would point out different constellations. It was wonderful.

Love watching the stars.

Have been to Tracy Arm on the Amsterdam in 2014.

Rich- This thread is amazing. I truly appreciate all the work that has gone into maintaining it . It is truly a peaceful and supportive place!

Roy-  thank you for putting my bday celebrations on the shutout list. It truly was amazing.

Off to water aerobics and then a much needed haircut. Wised I had it before all the festivities!!

Be safe and enjoy today

• Like 16