OLIfe Choice - some advice please

Harters

Apologies as I'm sure these things will have been raised before (I did try the "search" facility without real success).

We're looking at a cruise for next year. O's website says that the price includes airfare and the "amenity" of our choice.

My first question is can we get a reduction on the price for taking the cruise without airfare? This is a UK to UK cruise (priced in sterling on O's UK website) so we have no need of air travel. We'll drive to Southampton and leave the car with one of the parking companies.

I'd really welcome some advice about choosing between the free excursions and onboard credit (we wouldnt take the beverage package as I don't drink alcohol and my companion only sparingly). On the one hand,  we would use the excursions if that's what we'd chosen but, for most ports, we will be happy to have a wander round the towns on our own (these are destinations we are unlikely to visit otherwise). On the other hand, the credit does seem to offer us flexibility. The specific question is can we use it to buy one of O's  excursions, if there was a port where we wanted to see somewhere away from the town?  I know this is probably one of those matters to which the answer is "it all depends", but any advice would be appreciated.

TIA

John

If you are getting prices in £‘S on the website the price has already taken into account no airfare.

if you do a dummy booking you will see that there is no option to remove airfare in the booking process. 

Look at the excursions offered and compare prices to getting the SBC $. Unless it is a trip where we would not be getting off, a Californian doing a California Coast cruise, we have always gotten the best Value by taking the Excursion option. Our selections are always tours in the $150-$199 range and if we qualify for the Your World 25% discount package, the Value really increases. Since I have read on CC that O WILL allow private tours, you have that option to add to your tour mix. 

That said, I would not know if there is a difference in UK booking and US but run the numbers or talk to your TA. 
Good luck and enjoy the great value of Oceania Cruises, we love them.

3 minutes ago, ToxM said:

If you are getting prices in £‘S on the website the price has already taken into account no airfare.

if you do a dummy booking you will see that there is no option to remove airfare in the booking process. 

That would be vastly different than the primary US site. On the O website:

“Cruise Only” fare has no air or O Life perk

“O Life” fare includes air BUT, when you select a cabin category and move to the next page, you can choose “no air” and the price adjusts. That price difference is the amount of your “air credit.”

As for O Life perks, the most value laden one is the excursions. With each excursion initially valued at the equivalent of $100 SBC (e.g., 8 tours or $800 SBC), you can then select allowable O Life tours as close to the $200 per tour max price. This effectively doubles the value of the tours perk. Also, the O tours selected count toward whatever is the minimum number of tours required on your itinerary to get the 25% YWYW discount on any other tours you purchase.

FWIW: I just did a CC search for threads on “O Life perks selection” and there’s a ton of them including many of mine with the exact same info as stated above. 

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

That would be vastly different than the primary US site. On the O website:

“Cruise Only” fare has no air or O Life perk

“O Life” fare includes air BUT, when you select a cabin category and move to the next page, you can choose “no air” and the price adjusts. That price difference is the amount of your “air credit.”

As for O Life perks, the most value laden one is the excursions. With each excursion initially valued at the equivalent of $100 SBC (e.g., 8 tours or $800 SBC), you can then select allowable O Life tours as close to the $200 per tour max price. This effectively doubles the value of the tours perk. Also, the O tours selected count toward whatever is the minimum number of tours required on your itinerary to get the 25% YWYW discount on any other tours you purchase.

FWIW: I just did a CC search for threads on “O Life perks selection” and there’s a ton of them including many of mine with the exact same info as stated above. 

For cruises ex UK residents automatically have no air fare on the O website. 

So for the cruise I originally had for this May which was Soton - Soton the cruise was a flat fare with O benefits but no airfare allowance. 

most people in the UK wouldn’t need to fly to get to Southampton. 

18 minutes ago, ToxM said:

the price has already taken into account no airfare.

But that's not what it says on the website. As you'll see at the top of this page on the link, the "special offer" specifically includes airfare.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/bordeaux-northern-europe-cruises/london-to-london-SIR220603/?sr=%2Fspecial-offers%2F2022-europe-and-north-america-collection%2F

Now, I suppose it is possible that this is simply a web design error and they've made no amendment to the American page except for changing pricing to sterling.

3 minutes ago, Harters said:

But that's not what it says on the website. As you'll see at the top of this page on the link, the "special offer" specifically includes airfare.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/bordeaux-northern-europe-cruises/london-to-london-SIR220603/?sr=%2Fspecial-offers%2F2022-europe-and-north-america-collection%2F

Now, I suppose it is possible that this is simply a web design error and they've made no amendment to the American page except for changing pricing to sterling.

Lazy copywriting. 

625D4385-16F9-46D9-8D1F-A427C4A08FAF.png

4FD05C2A-EBD6-4446-B0C6-256FE8F1B221.png

17 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

With each excursion initially valued at the equivalent of $100 SBC (e.g., 8 tours or $800 SBC), you can then select allowable O Life tours as close to the $200 per tour max price. This effectively doubles the value of the tours perk

Please advise were the O explanation is found that $100=195 max value.

12 minutes ago, Jockocruiser said:

Search the O website for it or call O. The O Life allowable excursions are any under $200 that are not designated OS, OE, etc.

If you’ve got that perk, you’ll also notice that the checkout Cart only assigns $0 to allowable O Life selections and it prioritizes it so you get the most expensive allowable ones counted first until your allotment is full.

I would speak to who ever you booked with & get  an explanation of what is included  for UK residents

If you do not want the excursions   ask about  the cruise only option

JMO

1 hour ago, Jockocruiser said:

There is  no explanation

generally  the  Excursions offered in the O Life perk are under $200

The Fine print

<OLife Choice free shore excursions vary by voyage and exclude Oceania Select, Oceania Exclusive, Executive Collection, Food & Wine Trails, Wellness, Go Local and Culinary Discovery Tours>

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/promotion-terms/

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Search the O website for it or call O. The O Life allowable excursions are any under $200 that are not designated OS, OE, etc.

If you’ve got that perk, you’ll also notice that the checkout Cart only assigns $0 to allowable O Life selections and it prioritizes it so you get the most expensive allowable ones counted first until your allotment is full.

Ah ha!  Thanks Flatbush and LHT28!  
So that’s why you say this is probably the best value of the OLife options? Doubles the spend on (overpriced) ShoreEx - whereas OBC, and drink packages are  just prepaying your own spend.  

But then again, it might be be better to calculate the value of the OLife ShoreEx and the air credit, vs the Cruise Only fare?

By George, I think he’s  got it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jockocruiser said:

Ah ha!  Thanks Flatbush and LHT28!  
So that’s why you say this is probably the best value of the OLife options? Doubles the spend on (overpriced) ShoreEx - whereas OBC, and drink packages are  just prepaying your own spend.  

But then again, it might be be better to calculate the value of the OLife ShoreEx and the air credit, vs the Cruise Only fare?

By George, I think he’s  got it!

The only difference between “cruise only” and “O Life w/o air” is the SBC amount. It’s a wash.

However, the excursions O Life option gives you the “up to” double value PLUS 25% off YWYW tour purchases that are enough (when added to the O Life tours) to meet the minimum tours required. 

37 minutes ago, basor said:

I was checking our 22 day Marina cruise and  under O Life choices it states 6 free shore excursions...is this per person or total for 2 so 3 shore excursions per person...

I would think it is 6 PP

what cruise  dates?

What I would do [what I did do] is go through the excursions and decide which one you most want to do in each port [rather than take excursions you don't really want just because they are the most expensive], then see if you have 4 [or whatever is the number of OLife excursions for your cruise] that cost over $100.  If yes, then the OLife shore excursion option is probably best for you.  But if you just want to wander around the towns, those shore excursions are almost always priced below $100 so OLife isn't a good deal.

If you are going to take the required number of shore excursions for the Your World discount [6 in our case], you should also do the math [the 4 most expensive @ $400 total plus the others at 25% off list vs. all excursions at 25% off list] – in my cast Your World is actually less expensive than with OLife.

OTOH, Oceania CEO Bob Binder has recently confirmed that ship's excursions will NOT be mandatory on Oceania – so if you prefer to do your own thing, it really makes sense to take the cruise only option.

49 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I would think it is 6 PP

what cruise  dates?

09NOV 2021...Venice to Miami

We have always taken the drink package option so never bothered figuring out the SBC or shore excursion options...the drink package is per person so are the SBC and shore excursion per cabin?

• 1. US$600 OLife Choice Shipboard Credit
  • 2. OLife Choice - 6 Free Shorex (Guests 1 & 2)
  • 3. OLife Choice Free House Select Beverage Package (value $880.00 per person)

TIA for helping clarify

50 minutes ago, basor said:

09NOV 2021...Venice to Miami

We have always taken the drink package option so never bothered figuring out the SBC or shore excursion options...the drink package is per person so are the SBC and shore excursion per cabin?

• 1. US$600 OLife Choice Shipboard Credit
  • 2. OLife Choice - 6 Free Shorex (Guests 1 & 2)
  • 3. OLife Choice Free House Select Beverage Package (value $880.00 per person)

TIA for helping clarify

On the website it is listed per cabin

Invoice lists PP usually

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/grand-voyage-cruises/venice-to-miami-MNA211109A/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%23time_frame%3D2021-11%26ship%3DMNA%26sort%3Dfeatured%3Adesc%26page%3D1%26pageSize%3D10

Looks like  6 PP excursion

$600 Sbc PP

For the OP I see the best option as being Cruise Only. Forget the OLife options and freewheel it as it suits you day to day.

As an American, I couldn’t imagine paying Oceania’s prices for any tour in the US. 

enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

What I would do [what I did do] is go through the excursions and decide which one you most want to do in each port [rather than take excursions you don't really want just because they are the most expensive], then see if you have 4 [or whatever is the number of OLife excursions for your cruise] that cost over $100.  If yes, then the OLife shore excursion option is probably best for you.  But if you just want to wander around the towns, those shore excursions are almost always priced below $100 so OLife isn't a good deal.

If you are going to take the required number of shore excursions for the Your World discount [6 in our case], you should also do the math [the 4 most expensive @ $400 total plus the others at 25% off list vs. all excursions at 25% off list] – in my cast Your World is actually less expensive than with OLife.

OTOH, Oceania CEO Bob Binder has recently confirmed that ship's excursions will NOT be mandatory on Oceania – so if you prefer to do your own thing, it really makes sense to take the cruise only option.

I previously posted to you that:

if the “o life” tours you pick average more than $135 each, you are getting better than the 25% YWYW discount on those tours because your cruise fare charged you $100 for each one. Any other tours you buy will be 25% off with YWYW. 
YWYW is cheaper only if you’d have instead selected O Life tours that were under $135 each.

Where I do agree that O Life SBC or “cruise only” would be wiser is if the OP was only going to purchase tours less than $100 each.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

15 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I previously posted to you that:

if the “o life” tours you pick average more than $135 each, you are getting better than the 25% YWYW discount on those tours because your cruise fare charged you $100 for each one. Any other tours you buy will be 25% off with YWYW. 
YWYW is cheaper only if you’d have instead selected O Life tours that were under $135 each.

Where I do agree that O Life SBC or “cruise only” would be wiser is if the OP was only going to purchase tours less than $100 each.

Maybe I'm misjudging your approach, but I get the feeling that you choose the most expensive tours in order to 'get the most for your money.'  As I have said, I prefer to choose the tours that I really want to do and then figure out which option is the lowest in cost.

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Maybe I'm misjudging your approach, but I get the feeling that you choose the most expensive tours in order to 'get the most for your money.'  As I have said, I prefer to choose the tours that I really want to do and then figure out which option is the lowest in cost.

I pick what is best for each port (private and/or ship tours as needed/preferred) and I weigh all the options regarding “O Life.”

In fact, on the January 2022 MIA-MIA we’ll be on with you, we’re doing “cruise only.” 
My $199 “tour perk” lecture here on CC is just a demo on what can be the value in comparing SBC to the other O LIfe perks. 
We already know that “Cruise Only” and the O Life w/o air plus the SBC perk are exactly the same as reflected in the price difference (you’re paying for that “free” O Life SBC).

And, FWIW, even though we enjoy adult beverages we haven’t done the O booze package in many years. We don’t care for the “wine by the glass” selections and prefer to bring our own higher quality wines for which we are spared the 300%+\- ship bought markup by agreeing to the $25 corkage. As for spirits: between the happy hour twofers, O Club events, officer invites, and the need to burn off all non-refundable SBC, we don’t have much of a “balance due” bar bill. 
So, only the O life tours perk interests us and, even then it’s only those tours retailing for more than the $135 since anything costing less once you’ve taken O Life would be throwing money away.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I pick what is best for each port (private and/or ship tours as needed/preferred) and I weigh all the options regarding “O Life.”

In fact, on the January 2022 MIA-MIA we’ll be on with you, we’re doing “cruise only.” 
My $199 “tour perk” lecture here on CC is just a demo on what can be the value in comparing SBC to the other O LIfe perks. 
We already know that “Cruise Only” and the O Life w/o air plus the SBC perk are exactly the same as reflected in the price difference (you’re paying for that “free” O Life SBC).

And, FWIW, even though we enjoy adult beverages we haven’t done the O booze package in many years. We don’t care for the “wine by the glass” selections and prefer to bring our own higher quality wines for which we are spared the 300%+\- ship bought markup by agreeing to the $25 corkage. As for spirits: between the happy hour twofers, O Club events, officer invites, and the need to burn off all non-refundable SBC, we don’t have much of a “balance due” bar bill. 
So, only the O life tours perk interests us and, even then it’s only those tours retailing for more than the $135 since anything costing less once you’ve taken O Life would be throwing money away.

It turns out we agree all around.  Also, if I remember correctly [and I think it was you who told me], the O Life tours perk has a nasty cancellation policy that if Oceania cancels a tour you only get $100 back even if it listed for more.  With cruise only, you pay for the tours on a credit card and if Oceania cancels the full amount should go back to that credit card.  [Do I have that right?]