Sell me on the Haven

37 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I can tell you that the final price four our B2B on the Joy in September was 10323.36 for two people for two weeks. That include the airfare with second-guest-flies free and airport transfers. The only thing it doesn't include is the pre-paid service charges, which we will pay after final payment is due.

That is a great deal. Nice work, hope you have a wonderful experience with the Haven. Be sure to post a review.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

@JamieLogical….Are you flying into the Jamaica embarkation port early?  If so, where are you staying?

We took the second-guest-flies-free deal and we are going to take our chances flying in the day of. Embarkation isn't until 8:00pm for these Jamaica sailings, so I think we should be pretty safe. Worst case, it's on NCL to get us to the ship and with the ports so close together on this sailing, that shouldn't be too hard to do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

@JamieLogical….Are you flying into the Jamaica embarkation port early?  If so, where are you staying?

I am on Crystal Cruises at the End of July in Jamaica.  I am staying in the Marriott Courtyard the day before.  I always consider the Cruise Lines Pre-Cruise hotel and end up going to Priceline or Hotel.com.  1/2 the price.  Hope that all makes sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

We took the second-guest-flies-free deal and we are going to take our chances flying in the day of. Embarkation isn't until 8:00pm for these Jamaica sailings, so I think we should be pretty safe. Worst case, it's on NCL to get us to the ship and with the ports so close together on this sailing, that shouldn't be too hard to do.

Careful flying in the day of any cruise regardless of whom books the cruise.  I have almost missed a couple of cruises and now I am over it.  I always come in the day before.  Remember, if you book with lets say NCL, you miss the sailing.  They do put you up for the night and fly you to the next port.  If there is a sea day on day one, you miss a day.  You might have already known that however some folks do not. 

4 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I am on Crystal Cruises at the End of July in Jamaica.  I am staying in the Marriott Courtyard the day before.  I always consider the Cruise Lines Pre-Cruise hotel and end up going to Priceline or Hotel.com.  1/2 the price.  Hope that all makes sense.

HI Gary,  I know there are threads for this (and I am off topic here), but I am curious, what is your preferred pre-cruise hotel in Miami (assuming we will be sailing out of Miami in the next 12 months.)  Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Careful flying in the day of any cruise regardless of whom books the cruise.  I have almost missed a couple of cruises and now I am over it.  I always come in the day before.  Remember, if you book with lets say NCL, you miss the sailing.  They do put you up for the night and fly you to the next port.  If there is a sea day on day one, you miss a day.  You might have already known that however some folks do not. 

Right. With a normal embarkation time, I would probably not risk it. The late embarkation time is what convinced me. I think most flights from my home town to Montego Bay would get us there around 1:00pm or earlier. With an 8:00pm embarkation time, there is plenty of cushion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WarfRatWA said:

HI Gary,  I know there are threads for this (and I am off topic here), but I am curious, what is your preferred pre-cruise hotel in Miami (assuming we will be sailing out of Miami in the next 12 months.)  Thanks.

Easy question because in November, I am on the Joy out of Miami as long as the Politicians can play nice.  I am booked in the Marriott Biscayne Bay.  I have also stayed in the Epic Biscayne Bay as well. My strategy is to get to the Port not stay at the Airport.  Easy and quick ride to the port the next morning.  I also usually book a hotel with free or in the rate breakfast.  Lots of choices for Biscayne Bay and many with lovely views of the water.  I then ALWAYS go to the Capital Grille for dinner because I am not a fan of the Steak Restaurants on cruise ships. I hope that helps.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Easy question because in November, I am on the Joy out of Miami as long as the Politicians can play nice.  I am booked in the Marriott Biscayne Bay.  I have also stayed in the Epic Biscayne Bay as well. My strategy is to get to the Port not stay at the Airport.  Easy and quick ride to the port the next morning.  I also usually book a hotel with free or in the rate breakfast.  Lots of choices for Biscayne Bay and many with lovely views of the water.  I then ALWAYS go to the Capital Grille for dinner because I am not a fan of the Steak Restaurants on cruise ships. I hope that helps.

Thanks Gary.  I have no experience in Miami and this helps.  How do you get from the hotel to the port, if I may ask?  Appreciate your input.

Edited by WarfRatWA
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WarfRatWA said:

Thanks Gary.  I have no experience in Miami and this helps.  How do you get from the hotel to the port, if I may ask?  Appreciate your input.

Uber is what I used.  Same was from the airport to the hotel. Uber.  If you are in the Epic Hotel,  The Capital Grille is walking distance. The Marriott it is a short Uber.  The drive from the hotel to the ports is less then 10 min. If you are staying in the Haven, Pre-COVID, you can board any time.  I usually get to the port early.  They put you in the Haven Port lounge.  As soon as the ship is cleared, they board you.  You can drop your carry ons in your suite even if it is not ready yet.  You then go get a drink at the Haven Bar. The Haven Resturant opens at 12:00 pm. They give you an alternative specialty restaurant of their choice as an option.  That opens up at 11:30 pm.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Uber is what I used.  Same was from the airport to the hotel. Uber.  If you are in the Epic Hotel,  The Capital Grille is walking distance. The Marriott it is a short Uber.  The drive from the hotel to the ports is less then 10 min. If you are staying in the Haven, Pre-COVID, you can board any time.  I usually get to the port early.  They put you in the Haven Port lounge.  As soon as the ship is cleared, they board you.  You can drop your carry ons in your suite even if it is not ready yet.  You then go get a drink at the Haven Bar. The Haven Resturant opens at 12:00 pm. They give you an alternative specialty restaurant of their choice as an option.  That opens up at 11:30 pm.  

simply grab a cab, if your hotel has a concierge, ask him/her, if not, ask the desk clerk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Right. With a normal embarkation time, I would probably not risk it. The late embarkation time is what convinced me. I think most flights from my home town to Montego Bay would get us there around 1:00pm or earlier. With an 8:00pm embarkation time, there is plenty of cushion.

Hopefully it works for you. Enjoy your cruise!

5 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Oh my goodness we just came in from the Capital Grille in Burlington, Ma. one of our favorite steak houses. This is weird, but wonder if their the same group and will check this out next time we sail from Fla. You are a well of information.

11 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Oh my goodness we just came in from the Capital Grille in Burlington, Ma. one of our favorite steak houses. This is weird, but wonder if their the same group and will check this out next time we sail from Fla. You are a well of information.

Same restaurant, I have been to the Burlington, Ma location. Stoli Doli forever

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 2:16 PM, JamieLogical said:

I have never been able to justify the additional price for a Haven suite on an NCL sailing. I just returned from an all inclusive that had a similar concept to some of the Haven perks. I allegedly had a "butler", who I never even met, but I did take advantage of the "virtual butler" via WhatsApp to do things like make restaurant reservations, request supplies for my room, and ask questions. So that was pretty handy. Mostly, though, our upgraded experience got us access to things like a more speedy and luxurious check-in, a private lounge, priority reservations at restaurants, and a private pool and beach area.

Having had that level of amenities at the all-inclusive has me thinking about splurging on the Haven for our next cruise. The main difference being that at the all-inclusive, it only cost us about $200 extra per person for the week and the Haven costs a minimum of about $1200 extra per person. So explain to me why I need to spend the extra money. What makes the Haven worth it to those of you who have done it or do it regularly?

Having sailed in the Haven,  IMO the only way I would ever sail on NCL.  The rest of the ship reminds me of the crowds on the titanic .  We walked around the pool deck- on the NCL Breakaway- and bodies were all over the place- could barely move!  The crowds in public spaces was awful.  Post Covid- I really wouldn't feel safe.  We enjoyed the space and private restaurant in the Haven.  Only went out to see shows and try specialty restaurants- which weren't so great.  

I assume if you are a college student- you might enjoy the crowds- but not for me.

Enjoy your cruise.

Big news! I have convinced my parents to come on the first leg of our B2B with us by offering to pay the difference to upgrade them from a balcony to a Haven. The caveat is my dad is very anti-mask (they are both fully vaccinated). He was reluctant to agree to go on this sailing before today because of the mask requirement in airports and on airplanes. Now that the CDC seems to be more frequently updating their guidance around masks for fully vaccinated people, he is hopeful that the mandates around air travel will be lifted by September (recognizing they are currently not set to expire until Sept. 13, which is after we sail). He'll have until final payment on July 6 to make a decision. Hopefully we will see more movement on mask mandates by then. I must say, on a personal level, trying to deal with someone who is so anti-mask have been very vexing.  You would think I was asking him to sit on a bed of nails for the duration of the flights!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Big news! I have convinced my parents to come on the first leg of our B2B with us by offering to pay the difference to upgrade them from a balcony to a Haven. The caveat is my dad is very anti-mask (they are both fully vaccinated). He was reluctant to agree to go on this sailing before today because of the mask requirement in airports and on airplanes. Now that the CDC seems to be more frequently updating their guidance around masks for fully vaccinated people, he is hopeful that the mandates around air travel will be lifted by September (recognizing they are currently not set to expire until Sept. 13, which is after we sail). He'll have until final payment on July 6 to make a decision. Hopefully we will see more movement on mask mandates by then. I must say, on a personal level, trying to deal with someone who is so anti-mask have been very vexing.  You would think I was asking him to sit on a bed of nails for the duration of the flights!

Congratulations! I think there is a very real chance you are going to love the Haven. When we first started cruising about 5 years ago, the only way I could get my partner to go was if we were in the Haven. We LOVED it! In fact, we now consider it our gateway drug so to speak! We’ve done 6 cruises on NCL .. all in the Haven ... and each one we ventured out less and less. 

We always thought we wanted to be on these big ships with all the bells and whistles and venues and events, and we enjoyed them for sure! But what we came to realize is that we really loved the peace and quiet of being in the Haven more than we ever thought we would. After the last cruise we just looked at each other and said “you know, we like the Haven, but why don’t we try a ultra luxury line for the same price?” So, we’re off to Seabourn now. And we have only the Haven to blame for our heightened expectations!

In all seriousness,  I hope you have a wonderful cruise and you enjoy the Haven as much as we do! I look forward for any trip report/update you might do 😃

Edited by Navis

Jamie...how wonderful to have family with you in the Haven.  

Masks?  I hope you're right.  From what I'm reading, masks won't be mandated except in areas where there are crowds (like a cruise ship) even if you're fully vaccinated.

Plus, we don't know yet what NCL will require regarding masks.  But, hopefully things get back to normal as more and more people are vaccinated and the COVID numbers are going in the right direction.

9 hours ago, Navis said:

Congratulations! I think there is a very real chance you are going to love the Haven. When we first started cruising about 5 years ago, the only way I could get my partner to go was if we were in the Haven. We LOVED it! In fact, we now consider it our gateway drug so to speak! We’ve done 6 cruises on NCL .. all in the Haven ... and each one we ventured out less and less. 

We always thought we wanted to be on these big ships with all the bells and whistles and venues and events, and we enjoyed them for sure! But what we came to realize is that we really loved the peace and quiet of being in the Haven more than we ever thought we would. After the last cruise we just looked at each other and said “you know, we like the Haven, but why don’t we try a ultra luxury line for the same price?” So, we’re off to Seabourn now. And we have only the Haven to blame for our heightened expectations!

In all seriousness,  I hope you have a wonderful cruise and you enjoy the Haven as much as we do! I look forward for any trip report/update you might do 😃

I loved your post above.  I write a lot about the Haven and how much I enjoy it.  I am sharing the Haven with my Adult Children at the end of November.  What I came to realize is that, just like you, the Haven got me thinking about, "What if the entire ship was the Haven?"  You are right, that can only be done on a Luxury Cruise Brand.  SO, just like you, My wife and I are sailing on the Crystal Cruises sailing for 7-days to the Bahamas at the end of July 2021.  Funny thing, my suite on this Luxury Cruise Brand is less then many of my suites in the Haven.

So I don't make anyone upset. I am still a huge Haven fan as many of you know.  I just figured, I really want to know what a Luxury Cruise Brand does differently.  

Thanks again for your post.

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Jamie...how wonderful to have family with you in the Haven.  

Masks?  I hope you're right.  From what I'm reading, masks won't be mandated except in areas where there are crowds (like a cruise ship) even if you're fully vaccinated.

Plus, we don't know yet what NCL will require regarding masks.  But, hopefully things get back to normal as more and more people are vaccinated and the COVID numbers are going in the right direction.

I feel pretty confident that NCL will loosen their mask requirements for these Caribbean cruises out of non-US ports, since they won't be under the purview of the CDC, even if the CDC continues to keep stricter mask guidance for cruises than for on land. With these sailings, NCL is requiring that 100% of crew and passengers be vaccinated, so I would be very surprised if they have and strictly enforce mask mandates onboard. Obviously in ports, passengers will have to adhere to whatever the local regulations are.

The sticking point is likely going to be mask requirements for air travel. If those remain in place, my Dad may refuse to go. I don't have any issues with wearing a mask during air travel. We recently traveled to Cancun and, of course, had to wear masks on our flights and in airports. Not a big deal for us and I was grateful for the rule, because at that point the latest data about whether vaccinated people can transmit COVID was not available. My husband and I are fully vaccinated and were at the time of our Cancun trip, btw. I was just fearful of unwittingly transmitting the virus, so grateful for the mask mandate. Now that it is clear that vaccinated people have a VERY low likelihood of transmitting COVID, I am content to not wear a mask in environments where vaccination status is known.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

You will have a GREAT time with your parents.  You Dad will be fine.  The days of confrontation in Trader Joe's for not wearing your mask are gone.  Everyone is starting to Chill since the mandates are relaxing.  It would be a shame if he does not go because on a very few situation he would have to put the mask on.  However, although I don't agree with his position, I do agree that he has the right not to go if that is the case.  I wish your family a great time.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I loved your post above.  I write a lot about the Haven and how much I enjoy it.  I am sharing the Haven with my Adult Children at the end of November.  What I came to realize is that, just like you, the Haven got me thinking about, "What if the entire ship was the Haven?"  You are right, that can only be done on a Luxury Cruise Brand.  SO, just like you, My wife and I are sailing on the Crystal Cruises sailing for 7-days to the Bahamas at the end of July 2021.  Funny thing, my suite on this Luxury Cruise Brand is less then many of my suites in the Haven.

So I don't make anyone upset. I am still a huge Haven fan as many of you know.  I just figured, I really want to know what a Luxury Cruise Brand does differently.  

Thanks again for your post.

Crystal is on our list too! We looked at all of the big 4 ... Regent, Crystal, Seabourn and SilverSea. In the end, because we’re doing a 14 day Caribbean, Seabourn seemed ideal given all the small islands their ships can get into that we haven’t been to before (we’re talking a ship with 450 max passengers here). But we already decided when we do the Med it will be on Crystal!

We thought about Regent as we liked the included excursions, but found the pricing to be out of wack ... not sure if that is because they include airfare, but that is not relevant to us as we fly for free anyway.

Brief aside, I see you are a Boston local as well (and yes, I have been to the Burlington CG and I prefer it much more to the Back Bay location! Anyway, 2 years ago when we started our luxury cruise search we saw a Crystal ship coming into the harbor on Sat morning. We quickly got dressed and walked over to the Flynn terminal. We told the security at the gangway that we were thinking about cruising Crystal and would it be possible to get a guided tour or something.

Security called someone and they came

down and escorted us to the concierge desk. They told us if we wore a visitor pass and left our IDs with them we could roam the public areas of the ship for an hour or so as. All I can say is, wow! What an amazing ship ... the al fresco dining areas are simply beautiful as is the pool area, the dining venues and the tea room. With about 20 mins left we just sat on some loungers by the pool and less than a minute later a waiter came by with a tray full of champagne and asked us If we wanted one. We explained we were only visiting for an hour and he told us to take one anyway. So we did 😃

I think you are going to love Crystal! What I saw on board was hands down even better than my Haven stays on the Breakaway and Escape.

23 minutes ago, Navis said:

Crystal is on our list too! We looked at all of the big 4 ... Regent, Crystal, Seabourn and SilverSea. In the end, because we’re doing a 14 day Caribbean, Seabourn seemed ideal given all the small islands their ships can get into that we haven’t been to before (we’re talking a ship with 450 max passengers here). But we already decided when we do the Med it will be on Crystal!

We thought about Regent as we liked the included excursions, but found the pricing to be out of wack ... not sure if that is because they include airfare, but that is not relevant to us as we fly for free anyway.

Brief aside, I see you are a Boston local as well (and yes, I have been to the Burlington CG and I prefer it much more to the Back Bay location! Anyway, 2 years ago when we started our luxury cruise search we saw a Crystal ship coming into the harbor on Sat morning. We quickly got dressed and walked over to the Flynn terminal. We told the security at the gangway that we were thinking about cruising Crystal and would it be possible to get a guided tour or something.

Security called someone and they came

down and escorted us to the concierge desk. They told us if we wore a visitor pass and left our IDs with them we could roam the public areas of the ship for an hour or so as. All I can say is, wow! What an amazing ship ... the al fresco dining areas are simply beautiful as is the pool area, the dining venues and the tea room. With about 20 mins left we just sat on some loungers by the pool and less than a minute later a waiter came by with a tray full of champagne and asked us If we wanted one. We explained we were only visiting for an hour and he told us to take one anyway. So we did 😃

I think you are going to love Crystal! What I saw on board was hands down even better than my Haven stays on the Breakaway and Escape.

LOL, first, I am from Birmingham, AL so not Boston.  However I travel all my 40 years in my career and LOVE that area.  Second, I did the same evaluation of the Luxury Cruise Brands.  Your choose is a fantastic one.  I agree with everything you said.

I literally studied RSSC.  I did crazy excel spreadsheets with every line item I could find.  My end findings was, I would love to go on RSSC, the pricing is our of my range also.  Just know, they give a $2,500 discount if you don't take their Business Class airfare.  I am not sure if they eliminate the pre-cruise hotel for some levels also.  Also, Business class is only from lets say New York to Europe or Atlanta to Europe.  To get to those airports is coach.  All that figured into my decision as it did yours. 

Cruise well.

3 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

LOL, first, I am from Birmingham, AL so not Boston.  However I travel all my 40 years in my career and LOVE that area.  Second, I did the same evaluation of the Luxury Cruise Brands.  Your choose is a fantastic one.  I agree with everything you said.

I literally studied RSSC.  I did crazy excel spreadsheets with every line item I could find.  My end findings was, I would love to go on RSSC, the pricing is our of my range also.  Just know, they give a $2,500 discount if you don't take their Business Class airfare.  I am not sure if they eliminate the pre-cruise hotel for some levels also.  Also, Business class is only from lets say New York to Europe or Atlanta to Europe.  To get to those airports is coach.  All that figured into my decision as it did yours. 

Cruise well.

Ahh, I did not know you could opt out of the flights! I also found all their room categories confusing and had no idea what I was looking at. LOL

In any event, please do come back after and let us know what you thought of Crystal! Wishing you a wonderful cruise 😄

15 minutes ago, Navis said:

Ahh, I did not know you could opt out of the flights! I also found all their room categories confusing and had no idea what I was looking at. LOL

In any event, please do come back after and let us know what you thought of Crystal! Wishing you a wonderful cruise 😄

I am going to be very careful not to hijack this great post stream and keep it about my favorite subject the Haven.  However, I think I can help you with your last post on RSSC.  The best place for detailed information is their FaceBook Group.  Just don't say one single thing that is not Pro-RSSC.  They are very Brand Loyal to a max.  

My research told me all Luxury Brands for the most part claim to be All-Inclusive.  That is for the most part marketing when you drill down.  RSSC is the best at attempting to be All-Inclusive and you pay a premium for it.

The staterooms secret is to look at the sf.  Many of the staterooms have a sf that is the same.  The cabins are about the same with very little difference.  To the right of where the prices are located, you will see a column.  It shows the two main items that are included for the more expensive cabins.  Pre-Cruise Hotel and Butler.  When you go on the FaceBook RSSC, I asked about this.  Essentially the majority of folks said, to Concierge  Level and ship the butler unless price is no object. The entire reason was it came with the pre-Hotel and transfers but not the Butler so the investment was way less. 

To see the actual rooms, YouTube is your best bet.  Love looking at cabins on all cruise lines.  It is my hobby.  Again, this posting is about the Haven,  Sorry folks if I hijacked it on this topic. 

• Thanks 1