Bringing a bicycle on board Norwegian ships

2 hours ago, True Trans Traveler said:

So, as stated earlier in the thread, i have my stateroom to myself. the bike will be in my room with me. i can be one of the last to get on the ship and one of the last to disembark. i will have no connecting flights or other things to do after disembarkation. as for asking the cruise line to ship it for me, its a part of my luggage that goes in my room with me. do you consider them shipping your clothes? or toiletries? my bike isn't some toy I'm bringing along to keep me occupied. It's integral to my life. 

Have you ever cruised before?

I understand what you're trying to do.  Just pointing out the hassle of getting the bike on, and then off the ship, while everyone else is trying to do the same thing.  It's not as simple as..."well I'll be the last one on and the last one off".  You embark and disembark based on the time they tell you to do both, among another very large group of people.  If it were only you who would be getting on or off, while not disturbing anyone else, I would say fine.

But, you'll be inconveniencing a whole lot of others who are getting on and off in the process.  The aisles are narrow and the stairs and elevators will be crowded.  You'll be hauling not only your luggage on and off, but you're FULL SIZED BIKE at the same time....while others are hauling their FULL SIZED LUGGAGE in the same way.

Let me give you an example.  This was a few years ago, but I saw a person try to negotiate their luggage off and on, while also carrying a full sized drone.  Understand, the drone was big, but probably ⅓ the size of your bike.  The person trying to do all of this ended up knocking people over while at first, trying to fit himself, and everything he brought with him during embarkation, on an elevator.  That didn't work.  So, he tried doing it on the stairs.  He ended up losing his luggage, which like a bowling ball, knocked down the passengers behind him as it bounced down the stairs.  During disembarkation, he tried to do the same, until a group of other fed up  disembarking passengers shoved him, his luggage and his drone to one side of the stairs landing to keep him from continuing to interfere with their progress.  Was it the right thing for them to do?  No!  But, it wasn't right for the perpetrator to expect everyone to make way just for him and his drone. 

This was just a couple of years ago.  What I'll assume was some sort of prankster, thought it would be hilarious if he would embark wearing a dinosaur costume.  Well, if you've even seen those, which are oversized to begin with, they're very unwieldy.  Security made him take it off, but he had nothing but his skivvies on underneath.  Didn't matter.  He was boarding with his unmentionables on while carrying the Dino costume.  From that perspective, we all had a chuckle.  Later in the cruise, he tried again to wear it during a sea day at the pool.  That didn't end well either, as no one could move around him in his costume.  That wasn't funny at all, for him or those he bumped into all over the pool areas.  He was forced to remove it.  Fortunately, he had swim trunks on underneath.

Bottom line, if it's just you who would be affected by hauling your bike on and off, I have no issue.  But, you'll be interfering with a lot of other people in the process.  I understand what you want, and why you want to do it.  On a cruise ship, even if you leave it in your cabin, the cabin steward will have to work around it.

It just doesn't sound like a good idea.  I know if I were embarking/disembarking anywhere near you hauling around your luggage and your bike, I'd be PO'd.  

• Like 4

Isn't this easy if it won't be used in the ports? You strip and box it so it's no larger than a large suitcase. You check it in with the other cases and it's delivered directly to your cabin, it's then stored under the bed and on the last day tagged with the other luggage and left outside your door?

It's essentially then just another case.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Isn't this easy if it won't be used in the ports? You strip and box it so it's no larger than a large suitcase. You check it in with the other cases and it's delivered directly to your cabin, it's then stored under the bed and on the last day tagged with the other luggage and left outside your door?

It's essentially then just another case.

Maybe.  But still, even if you stripped off the wheels, the handlebars and the derailleur, the frame is still at least 2-3 feet high and about 5-6 feet long.  That would fit in one box. The box with the other components would be nearly that big.  So, can you imagine trying to haul that into/out of the cabin?    I wonder if the luggage porters would even mess with it if the OP tried to check it?  Can you imagine setting those boxes out the night before disembarkation for delivery to the luggage pick up area and how that would clog up the aisle?  

This isn't clothes or toiletries.  Those things can fit in a roll aboard suitcase which fits easily under the bed or in the closet.  This is a FULL SIZED BICYCLE, which is large regardless of whether it's disassembled or not.  Do you have to fly to the embarkation port?  If so, guess who's going to be charged for oversized checked baggage?

It just sounds to me like "I don't care what anyone thinks, or who I'm going to inconvenience, I'm going to take a bike on board because I don't want to pay to ship it to my debarkation destination".

In short, the question asked was can the bike be taken on board?  The question is, probably shouldn't since you're asking us.  But, the other question, will NCL allow you to do it?  That's a question for NCL.

The other question(s), how will you break it down and securely box it to get it from your home to the embarkation port. Further, while it's checked (and, DO NOT try to treat is as regular luggage you can carry on and off the ship, because it's not) and the luggage handlers are tossing it around, what will the condition of it be when you retrieve it on disembarkation day?  You're also going to have to find a place to reassemble it.  Trying to do that in the luggage area may not be allowed.  And, the area is crowded not only with luggage, but people retrieving their luggage also.

I can probably think of dozens of ways this is not a good idea.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I wonder if the luggage porters would even mess with it if the OP tried to check it?  Can you imagine setting those boxes out the night before disembarkation for delivery to the luggage pick up area and how that would clog up the aisle?

You should see my arrival 😂

Porter with Large Steamer Trunk' Prints | AllPosters.com

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Take a deep breath.

Wheeling or carrying a bicycle – even a FULL SIZED BICYCLE – on and off a ship is trivial, particularly if you're physically fit and used to handling it. As any serious cyclist will be. Storing it in a cabin, particularly a single cabin, doesn't rate a second thought.

Pre-covid, it was common to see dozens of bikes in crowed commuter trains and stations, including subways with multiple stairs to navigate, in the SF Bay Area. Everyone figured it out. One or two onboard a cruise ship won't even be noticed.

What if everyone does it? Then the rules will change accordingly. That's the way it went in the Bay Area, and the way it's always been in places like Japan and the Netherlands, where bikes are part of the culture.

If NCL allows it, there's no reason for anyone to be offended. Bicycles do not jump out and bite people.

• Like 9

I agree with a previous poster about contacting NCL to see if they would store it for you. While if you are only taking it on and off once, it shouldn't inconvenience too many people. It will still be a relatively large hassle and take up alot of your room. You may find that NCL will store it for you for a reasonable fee. Then you can probably just load it up with the porters at embarkation and get it back when they unload luggage at debarkation. 

NCL will not store the bike for you. It's a liability thing.

It's really not a big deal to bring the bike on and off the ship (see attached photos).

On Embarkation day people arrive at staggered times and any checked luggage will be delivered to your state room (Do NOT check you bike as luggage). Once you board the ship, there will also usually be a baggage storage area (it's been either the Asian restaurant or the lounge/night club in the aft end of the ship) where you can claim check your bike until they call your room to be ready.

On Disembarkation day, if you're not in a hurry to say catch a plane, you can opt to be the last ones of the ship and wheel your bike off with you. I typically will wait until almost everyone has been called.

Also if security (and I mean US customs and boarder patrol or TSA or the people at the x-ray machine) want to search the bike for drugs, they call over a dog to walk around the bike. It takes a few moments for the dog to make a complete loop around the bike. Not sure where a saw would come in to play, (I'm guessing someone saw it on tv).

Remember, never check your bike as baggage.

Safe travels!

2018 09 09.jpg

2018 09 08.jpg

2018 09 07.jpg

2018 09 06.jpg

2018 09 05.jpg

2018 09 04.jpg

2018 09 03.jpg

2018 09 02.jpg

2018 09 01.jpg

2019_01 13.jpg

2019_01 12.jpg

2019_01 11.jpg

2019_01 10.jpg

2019_01 09.jpg

2019_01 08.jpg

2019_01 07.jpg

2019_01 06.jpg

2019_01 05.jpg

2019_01 04.jpg

2019_01 03.jpg

2019_01 02.jpg

2019_01 01.jpg

2019_05 08.jpg

2019_05 07.jpg

2019_05 06.jpg

2019_05 05.jpg

2019_05 04.jpg

2019_05 03.jpg

2019_05 02.jpg

2019_05 01.jpg

2019_04 01.jpg

2020_02 02.jpg

2020_02 01.jpg

2020_01 08.jpg

2020_01 07.jpg

2020_01 06.jpg

2020_01 05.jpg

2020_01 04.jpg

2020_01 03.jpg

2020_01 02.jpg

2020_01 01.jpg

2020_01 09.jpg

• Like 6

Therein lies the issue.  Just because you want to haul your FULL SIZED BICYCLE on and off the ship, doesn't mean everyone else won't find your desire to do so an inconvenience to get around you carrying it around cramped aisles, stairs and elevators.

• Like 1

I've never once in all my cruises even seen anyone with a bicycle.  Much ado about nothing in this thread.  The only problem I've had in cramped aisles is very large people or stewards carts.

Moving along to the next worlds problem we need to fix.  😉

• Like 1

I asked about doing this a couple of years ago and at that time was told yes by NCL, I could have the bike in my cabin. I'd check again and ask them to document it in your reservation or something to be sure. I too use my bike for most of my transportation so totally get what you are trying to do.  I also travel solo and have the cabin to myself.  I didn't end up taking my bike on board but have cruised on NCL many times.  In my opinion it would be no trouble at all.  And, I also generally give my cabin steward a break (I am pretty neat and don't need service in the cabin everyday....I can make my own bed, clean up, etc....) and only have him or her service my cabin once or twice during the cruise.  So, this would be a considerate thing to do if the bike is against a wall next to bed or just being considerate so they don't need to navigate around it.

Edited by ktrpal2001
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2021 at 8:12 AM, graphicguy said:

But still, even if you stripped off the wheels, the handlebars and the derailleur, the frame is still at least 2-3 feet high and about 5-6 feet long.  That would fit in one box. The box with the other components would be nearly that big.

I guess you've never seen a bike shipped before?  I haven't but I happen to know that there are boxes designed to ship a bike in a single box.  Wheels, pedals and handlebars come off, frame laid in with the fork rotated, wheels placed on top if the box is laid down or next to it with the box upright (with padding in various places) and the box then closed up.  This is how the bikes arrive to retailers such as WalMart or bike stores, then they're assembled for display and sale.

Those boxes should absolutely fit under the bed.  See how this site explains preparing a bike to ship - https://completetri.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-ship-a-bike/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hallux said:

I guess you've never seen a bike shipped before?  I haven't but I happen to know that there are boxes designed to ship a bike in a single box.  Wheels, pedals and handlebars come off, frame laid in with the fork rotated, wheels placed on top if the box is laid down or next to it with the box upright (with padding in various places) and the box then closed up.  This is how the bikes arrive to retailers such as WalMart or bike stores, then they're assembled for display and sale.

Those boxes should absolutely fit under the bed.  See how this site explains preparing a bike to ship - https://completetri.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-ship-a-bike/

So much this, Stripping a bike is easy and everything would fit in a bike box. wouldn't even need to take off back wheel. It just needs to be deflated. also my particular bike has no derailleur(internal hub). i have literally put my bike, 4 panniers(empty) a tent(1.5lb) as well as a pair of shoes and a few other items in a bike box for flying from Mexico to the UK and from the UK back to the States. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WYB! said:

NCL will not store the bike for you. It's a liability thing.

It's really not a big deal to bring the bike on and off the ship (see attached photos).

On Embarkation day people arrive at staggered times and any checked luggage will be delivered to your state room (Do NOT check you bike as luggage). Once you board the ship, there will also usually be a baggage storage area (it's been either the Asian restaurant or the lounge/night club in the aft end of the ship) where you can claim check your bike until they call your room to be ready.

On Disembarkation day, if you're not in a hurry to say catch a plane, you can opt to be the last ones of the ship and wheel your bike off with you. I typically will wait until almost everyone has been called.

Also if security (and I mean US customs and boarder patrol or TSA or the people at the x-ray machine) want to search the bike for drugs, they call over a dog to walk around the bike. It takes a few moments for the dog to make a complete loop around the bike. Not sure where a saw would come in to play, (I'm guessing someone saw it on tv).

Remember, never check your bike as baggage.

Safe travels!

2018 09 09.jpg

2018 09 08.jpg

2018 09 07.jpg

2018 09 06.jpg

2018 09 05.jpg

2018 09 04.jpg

2018 09 03.jpg

2018 09 02.jpg

2018 09 01.jpg

2019_01 13.jpg

2019_01 12.jpg

2019_01 11.jpg

2019_01 10.jpg

2019_01 09.jpg

2019_01 08.jpg

2019_01 07.jpg

2019_01 06.jpg

2019_01 05.jpg

2019_01 04.jpg

2019_01 03.jpg

2019_01 02.jpg

2019_01 01.jpg

2019_05 08.jpg

2019_05 07.jpg

2019_05 06.jpg

2019_05 05.jpg

2019_05 04.jpg

2019_05 03.jpg

2019_05 02.jpg

2019_05 01.jpg

2019_04 01.jpg

2020_02 02.jpg

2020_02 01.jpg

2020_01 08.jpg

2020_01 07.jpg

2020_01 06.jpg

2020_01 05.jpg

2020_01 04.jpg

2020_01 03.jpg

2020_01 02.jpg

2020_01 01.jpg

2020_01 09.jpg

Trust me I would NOT check my bike as baggage. it freaks me out enough when I have to do so when I fly with it. luckily its pretty darned indestructible. the only thing that would give me pause is claim checking it's since it's stupidly expensive. TSA/Border Patrol/Customs  always goes through my bags with a fine toothed comb, I travel with items that are hard to categorize with the x-ray machines as well as a truly stupendous array of pharmaceuticals. 

koga.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 5:12 AM, graphicguy said:

Maybe.  But still, even if you stripped off the wheels, the handlebars and the derailleur, the frame is still at least 2-3 feet high and about 5-6 feet long.  That would fit in one box. The box with the other components would be nearly that big.  So, can you imagine trying to haul that into/out of the cabin?    I wonder if the luggage porters would even mess with it if the OP tried to check it?  Can you imagine setting those boxes out the night before disembarkation for delivery to the luggage pick up area and how that would clog up the aisle?  

This isn't clothes or toiletries.  Those things can fit in a roll aboard suitcase which fits easily under the bed or in the closet.  This is a FULL SIZED BICYCLE, which is large regardless of whether it's disassembled or not.  Do you have to fly to the embarkation port?  If so, guess who's going to be charged for oversized checked baggage?

It just sounds to me like "I don't care what anyone thinks, or who I'm going to inconvenience, I'm going to take a bike on board because I don't want to pay to ship it to my debarkation destination".

In short, the question asked was can the bike be taken on board?  The question is, probably shouldn't since you're asking us.  But, the other question, will NCL allow you to do it?  That's a question for NCL.

The other question(s), how will you break it down and securely box it to get it from your home to the embarkation port. Further, while it's checked (and, DO NOT try to treat is as regular luggage you can carry on and off the ship, because it's not) and the luggage handlers are tossing it around, what will the condition of it be when you retrieve it on disembarkation day?  You're also going to have to find a place to reassemble it.  Trying to do that in the luggage area may not be allowed.  And, the area is crowded not only with luggage, but people retrieving their luggage also.

I can probably think of dozens of ways this is not a good idea.

I live on this bike, do you honestly think I don't know what it costs to ship it with me on planes? I've taken a bike to Mexico, flown with it to the UK, to Australia, to other parts of Europe, India, Japan. I know exactly how much it costs to pack it and ship it. I also know as an experienced bicycle traveler how to limit the effect I have on others while hauling it around. Throughout this thread, you've been pretty aggressive, condescending and rude. You act like it's gonna cause a massive logjam in  the halls/stairwells. It wont. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, True Trans Traveler said:

I live on this bike, do you honestly think I don't know what it costs to ship it with me on planes? I've taken a bike to Mexico, flown with it to the UK, to Australia, to other parts of Europe, India, Japan. I know exactly how much it costs to pack it and ship it. I also know as an experienced bicycle traveler how to limit the effect I have on others while hauling it around. Throughout this thread, you've been pretty aggressive, condescending and rude. You act like it's gonna cause a massive logjam in  the halls/stairwells. It wont. 

Well then why are you asking in the first place If you already know all the answers?  Why don’t you contact them and ask?  When you get to the dock, I’m pretty sure they won’t care what anonymous posters on cruise critic says about bringing bikes on board. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, B Midged said:

Well then why are you asking in the first place If you already know all the answers?  Why don’t you contact them and ask?  When you get to the dock, I’m pretty sure they won’t care what anonymous posters on cruise critic says about bringing bikes on board. 

I was happy to see this thread started, because I hoped that we'd have a friendly discussion about cruising with a bike. Instead, what we have is akin to someone asking about the wine list and getting a bunch of ignorant comments about the evils of alcohol and the perils of uncorking a bottle incorrectly.

I'm grateful for the thoughtful posts and good info this thread generated, and particularly to @WYB! and @True Trans Traveler for the photos.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2021 at 5:32 AM, B Midged said:

Because while i have taken it on multiple plane trips. i have never rolled it onto a cruise ship and was looking for input as to whether other cruisers had seen such a thing, or done it themselves so that i could make a decision on whether or not to attempt it. 

• Like 3

On 5/16/2021 at 8:40 AM, fubarbloke said:

I was happy to see this thread started, because I hoped that we'd have a friendly discussion about cruising with a bike. Instead, what we have is akin to someone asking about the wine list and getting a bunch of ignorant comments about the evils of alcohol and the perils of uncorking a bottle incorrectly.

I'm grateful for the thoughtful posts and good info this thread generated, and particularly to @WYB! and @True Trans Traveler for the photos.

exactly, thankfully most of the responders had helpful and useful things to bring to the discussion. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 1:13 AM, True Trans Traveler said:

Trust me I would NOT check my bike as baggage. it freaks me out enough when I have to do so when I fly with it. luckily its pretty darned indestructible. the only thing that would give me pause is claim checking it's since it's stupidly expensive. TSA/Border Patrol/Customs  always goes through my bags with a fine toothed comb, I travel with items that are hard to categorize with the x-ray machines as well as a truly stupendous array of pharmaceuticals. 

koga.jpg

Nice ride!

The thing about claim checking the bike once on board is that, a bike is really hard to steal or hide on a ship.

There are also video cameras onboard everywhere. Really, just look up in the ceiling and you'll see them every few feet. So I imagine theft of bikes while on cruise ships is pretty low.

Stay well and safe travels,

- Who'sYourBuddy

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/14/2021 at 10:55 AM, fubarbloke said:

Take a deep breath.

Wheeling or carrying a bicycle – even a FULL SIZED BICYCLE – on and off a ship is trivial, particularly if you're physically fit and used to handling it. As any serious cyclist will be. Storing it in a cabin, particularly a single cabin, doesn't rate a second thought.

Pre-covid, it was common to see dozens of bikes in crowed commuter trains and stations, including subways with multiple stairs to navigate, in the SF Bay Area. Everyone figured it out. One or two onboard a cruise ship won't even be noticed.

What if everyone does it? Then the rules will change accordingly. That's the way it went in the Bay Area, and the way it's always been in places like Japan and the Netherlands, where bikes are part of the culture.

If NCL allows it, there's no reason for anyone to be offended. Bicycles do not jump out and bite people.

It sounds exciting !!   I found this article in is about just this topic and NCL  It is a bit snarky but should give you an Idea.  
https://bikerumor.com/2020/02/29/where-to-ride-how-to-take-your-bicycle-on-a-cruise-ship/

Good luck on your adventure, and to the nay sayers, Many seem more concerned about their inconvenience than your answers.   

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Please re-read the original question before responding.  It'll keep your response on topic. <eye roll>

1. Yes, you can take a bike on with you.  It's not listed on the restricted items on the Norwegian website (see below for a snapshot of those items) They will ask you to check it but I'm sure you could convince them to let you roll your OWN luggage onto the Ship (For goodness sakes It's a pleasure cruise not a battleship in a military zone!).  My full size mountain bike wasn't that expensive so I just let them take it and roll it into my cabin for my 6 week Trans Pacific Cruise... Just Make SURE you put all your information on it as if it was normal luggage.

2. I was a single and the bike fit perfectly in my closet no need for the staff to even bother with it. The doors even closed.

3. The ship has a stash of bikes that the crew can borrow on their days off at port.  They just roll 'em off and on like I did so, seeing people with bikes is normal. 

P.S. I've included some gratuitous bike photos and one with my Mom on her scooter...  Yes, we have to carry that darn thing on every Cruise. I prefer rolling my bike on and off easy breezy!

ENJOY!! and Happy Sailing.  

I would suggest you print out the page and bring with you just incase.

Luggage is MAXIMUM (2) under 50 pounds and no shape or size restrictions so it's a go as far as I'm concerned.  🙂

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/what-to-pack

WHAT NOT TO BRING ON BOARD

Guests are not allowed to bring on board alcoholic beverages (except for wine & champagne which is subject to a corkage fee), firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals. 

cruise.jpg

bike3.jpg

Bike2.jpg

bike1.jpg

Edited by TrishaPA
  • Like 4