Who in their right mind would want to cruise under these conditions??????

Topdog52

22 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Wonder how vaccinated passengers will be identified to others? Will vaccinated people be issued an arm bracelet? (just a suggestion)

EDIT: NCL will have fully vaccinated passengers and crew so the arm bracelet doesn't really apply for this cruise line. Thinking of other cruise lines if they go with the CDC guidelines of 95% passengers vaccinated. Those cruise lines would need a way to identify those passengers who are, in fact, vaccinated.

Ear stamp 

2 hours ago, teachkeegan said:

It would be very easy to identify non- vaxxer cruisers by the staff. Your cruise card holds all kinds of information,  so if you attempted to disembark they would know. 

That just identifies people when they will be disembarking. My concern is how will staff recognize those folks who are vaccinated when just moving around the ship, sitting in a theater, entering and sitting in a restaurant, etc.

6 hours ago, bud88 said:

.....The majority of my co-workers getting vax'ed are having far worse reactions from the shot than any of us had getting covid....

I don't believe that.

....I want to talk to people from all over the place that I have never met before, I want to dance, I want to relax in the hot tub, I want to enjoy dinner with new found friends, I want to laugh out loud at a comedy show, I want to sing karaoke!....

Please don't do any of that, if you are allowed on board anytime soon!

...I'm not any more or less dangerous than a vax'ed person.....

I would agree that you are no less dangerous! 🙄 🙄

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, B Midged said:

I guess you won’t be on any cruises anytime soon. 

Of course I will, already booked. These restrictions will disappear soon enough as we get closer to herd immunity. They've already made changes since the op. They just came out of the gate hard, and too heavy imo.

• Like 2

Now that the CDC has lifted its mask orders on vaccinated, I believe that on vaccinated cruises, we will not have to wear masks at all.  Vaccinated folks don't have to wear them outside or even inside anymore! Yay! 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, coffeebean said:

That just identifies people when they will be disembarking. My concern is how will staff recognize those folks who are vaccinated when just moving around the ship, sitting in a theater, entering and sitting in a restaurant, etc.

I'm hoping they stick with the "vaccinated only" cruisers, which will solve a lot of problems.  Especially now, with new CDC guidelines for vaccinated people. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, bud88 said:

Of course I will, already booked. These restrictions will disappear soon enough as we get closer to herd immunity. They've already made changes since the op. They just came out of the gate hard, and too heavy imo.

Hope you have a Plan B.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, kristi195 said:

Now that the CDC has lifted its mask orders on vaccinated, I believe that on vaccinated cruises, we will not have to wear masks at all.  Vaccinated folks don't have to wear them outside or even inside anymore! Yay! 

Just one more reason to make it mandatory passengers who are vaccinated are the only one's who can cruise

• Like 5

10 hours ago, kristi195 said:

All the more reason for 100% vaccinated cruises. No masks anywhere. YooHoo!!! I'm doing a happy dance hoping the mask restrictions will be completely lifted.

• Like 4

On 5/11/2021 at 3:52 PM, At Sea At Peace said:

To be fair to a number of individuals (parents, prospective parents, etc.) comparison to the Polio vaccine actually makes their point of concern.

Look at the development time for each (as well as other diseases).

vac.JPG.a2c565841f7daf10438f876a197be2a3.JPG

This is a great example of vaccine disinformation: it looks real, but it's actually misleading and fake.

What this chart fails to explain is that the coronavirus vaccines have been in development since the early 2000s. Wha? How does that work? (let me explain) 

The disease COVID-19 is caused by the virus SARS-CoV-2. Sound familiar? It should be, because there was a global outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in 2002-2003. That virus was SARS-CoV. Closely related to our current coronavirus outbreak, hence the "2" on the end of the current virus.

Research into coronavirus vaccines started THEN, not in 2020. This includes development of the mRNA vaccines, which are amazing, because once a virus is sequenced, the instructions/message can be inserted into the vaccine in a matter of days. That's how the vaccine was "developed" so quickly. Genetic sequencing allowed us to figure out how to build immunity against SARS-CoV-2, and we just inserted that information into existing vaccine technology! (humans are amazing like that)

So, whenever you see "this is a scam and you should worry about vaccines because they were done so fast" it's important to remember that literal decades of research and development have taken place in case the very thing happened which all the researchers thought would happen in 2003!

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

This is a great example of vaccine disinformation: it looks real, but it's actually misleading and fake.

I appreciate your opinion on the information other than the above lead in.  Quite an example of dis- and mis-leading opinion.

The platform that had been established in V1, generally referred to as in genomic sequencing, is what enabled the 10-day identification of the viral sequence of SARS-CoV-2 (after reported pneumonia cases in Wuhan, China).

The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were developed thereafter.

The chart was based on information from the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, WHO, CDC and the National Institute of Health.

I guess you'll have to take it up with them.

I'm vaccinated.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

I appreciate your opinion on the information other than the above lead in.  Quite an example of dis- and mis-leading opinion.

The platform that had been established in V1, generally referred to as in genomic sequencing, is what enabled the 10-day identification of the viral sequence of SARS-CoV-2 (after reported pneumonia cases in Wuhan, China).

The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were developed thereafter.

The chart was based on information from the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, WHO, CDC and the National Institute of Health.

I guess you'll have to take it up with them.

I'm vaccinated.

You are correct that SARS-CoV-2 specific vaccines were naturally only developed after it was sequenced, the core technology that underpins them has been around for approximately 30 years.

Edited by Notnewtoit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

The disease COVID-19 is caused by the virus SARS-CoV-2. Sound familiar? It should be, because there was a global outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in 2002-2003. That virus was SARS-CoV. Closely related to our current coronavirus outbreak, hence the "2" on the end of the current virus.

Research into coronavirus vaccines started THEN, not in 2020. This includes development of the mRNA vaccines, which are amazing, because once a virus is sequenced, the instructions/message can be inserted into the vaccine in a matter of days. That's how the vaccine was "developed" so quickly. Genetic sequencing allowed us to figure out how to build immunity against SARS-CoV-2, and we just inserted that information into existing vaccine technology! (humans are amazing like that)

So, whenever you see "this is a scam and you should worry about vaccines because they were done so fast" it's important to remember that literal decades of research and development have taken place in case the very thing happened which all the researchers thought would happen in 2003!

Your correct, mRNA has been around a long time and this is what people don't understand. I have been friends with Katalin Karikó since 1986, a key developer of it. I know far too much about mRNA Lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Your correct, mRNA has been around a long time and this is what people don't understand. I have been friends with Katalin Karikó since 1986, a key developer of it. I know far too much about mRNA Lol

Serious question- why now?  Why wasn't it approved for anything before now?

8 minutes ago, Sinbadssailors said:

You can read this article...  https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/10/the-story-of-mrna-how-a-once-dismissed-idea-became-a-leading-technology-in-the-covid-vaccine-race/

This is from 2018....   https://cen.acs.org/business/start-ups/mRNA-disrupt-drug-industry/96/i35

Although Moderna helped put mRNA therapeutics on the map, efforts to use it as a therapy predate the company by at least two decades. In 1990, University of Pennsylvania scientist Katalin Karikó proposed using mRNA as an alternative to DNA-based gene therapy. Both techniques can produce therapeutic proteins, but while DNA’s effect is permanent, mRNA offers a temporary fix. Karikó reasoned that would alleviate some of the long-term safety concerns surrounding gene therapy, “but nobody was interested,” she says.

Edited by Laszlo

26 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

You can read this article...  https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/10/the-story-of-mrna-how-a-once-dismissed-idea-became-a-leading-technology-in-the-covid-vaccine-race/

This is from 2018....   https://cen.acs.org/business/start-ups/mRNA-disrupt-drug-industry/96/i35

Although Moderna helped put mRNA therapeutics on the map, efforts to use it as a therapy predate the company by at least two decades. In 1990, University of Pennsylvania scientist Katalin Karikó proposed using mRNA as an alternative to DNA-based gene therapy. Both techniques can produce therapeutic proteins, but while DNA’s effect is permanent, mRNA offers a temporary fix. Karikó reasoned that would alleviate some of the long-term safety concerns surrounding gene therapy, “but nobody was interested,” she says.

Thank you!  Really interesting, and very cool to be so close to the actual "source"!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Sinbadssailors said:

Thank you!  Really interesting, and very cool to be so close to the actual "source"!

Thanks, she'll be thanking me when she gets the Nobel Prize  LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

This is easily the best humblebrag EVER!!

1 hour ago, Sinbadssailors said:

A few factors, with the biggest being that there was no urgent need for the (expensive) technology to be used on a large scale. Government and grant money wasn't really there to build a better mousetrap, when everyone thought the current mousetraps worked just fine.

Additionally, the integration of lipids (kinda super tiny fat globules) to serve as a delivery mechanism for the mRNA via a vaccine shot is a more recent breakthrough. https://cen.acs.org/pharmaceuticals/drug-delivery/Without-lipid-shells-mRNA-vaccines/99/i8

2 hours ago, Notnewtoit said:

You are correct that SARS-CoV-2 specific vaccines were naturally only developed after it was sequenced, the core technology that underpins them has been around for approximately 30 years.

Yes, and yet so rare that only 2 developers used it?

Back to the point, this all started with a record time for the development of a vaccine for C-19.

IMO it is rapid, and wonderful.

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

Thanks.  I've read your references before.  Great story.

Question, why such doubt by so many for so long?

1 hour ago, Sinbadssailors said:

Good question.

24 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Thanks, she'll be thanking me when she gets the Nobel Prize  LOL

Hope so.  That would be a quite genuine one for sure.

6 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Question, why such doubt by so many for so long?

Not needed at the time, no money for research, no profit in it, she is a women who proved a lot of men wrong...........Take your pick. Actually one of her main focuses during the last 5-6 years has been using it with different cancers. 

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

Not needed at the time, no money for research, no profit in it, she is a women who proved a lot of men wrong...........Take your pick. Actually one of her main focuses during the last 5-6 years has been using it with different cancers. 

I've read up now again on her after you first mentioned her months ago.

What a story.

Why is she not, or has she been not, been like front page top-of-the-hour on the news?

Then again, we don't watch network or cable news so we likely missed it.

Again, thanks.

1 hour ago, At Sea At Peace said:

I've read up now again on her after you first mentioned her months ago.

What a story.

Why is she not, or has she been not, been like front page top-of-the-hour on the news?

Then again, we don't watch network or cable news so we likely missed it.

Again, thanks.

She can't stand all the fanfare, she has been on CNN, FOX, our local news but she is not comfortable in front of a camera. I don't think she would have done any press but she kind of had to. She is a workaholic, and would rather be at the "Bench" (Lab) She, her husband and her daughter Susan are wonderful people. At the end of the day she is a typical nerdy scientist. My wife is also a scientist, between them my head starts spinning about 2 minutes into any conversations Lol

We are headed up to your part of the woods next week. I need to get my turkey sandwich from Harts Lol

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

She can't stand all the fanfare, she has been on CNN, FOX, our local news but she is not comfortable in front of a camera. I don't think she would have done any press but she kind of had to. She is a workaholic, and would rather be at the "Bench" (Lab) She, her husband and her daughter Susan are wonderful people. At the end of the day she is a typical nerdy scientist. My wife is also a scientist, between them my head starts spinning about 2 minutes into any conversations Lol

We are headed up to your part of the woods next week. I need to get my turkey sandwich from Harts Lol

LOL.  Harts is a tourist favorite.  Very down to earth, low key. 

If you're looking for really fresh seafood, SALS at Moultons Farm between Meredith and Center Harbor Thur-Sat is the place we love.  Not cheap, just fresh and mostly live caught.  BTW, lobster is "insane" right now.  $13.99-$15.99 per lb.  Similar with Maine steamers.

We're also packed.  It seems like many 2nd homeowners stayed the winter or left late and returned early.  It is going to be a packed summer as rentals at the hotspots are reporting on local TV they are booked Memorial day to Labor day.

Bike week is prepping, but you should be OK next week.

If your heading towards North Conway, as you pass Center Harbor Bay,  we're down on the NE (left from the road) side down the Bay on open water looking across to Gunstock.  38 years.

The trees that blossom are near an end and the buds are developing the leaves.  Another group of days of warm weather and it should pop.  It is very, very, very dry.  We have our irrigation on every wee am and, on alternate days, turn the sprinkler heads around to hit the perennial gardens and small ornamental shrubs (it is that dry).

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 3:39 PM, coffeebean said:

They won’t.

• Like 1